[Beta-test] v.39 beta4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gedemon

Modder
Super Moderator
With beta4, I'm finally starting to add the missing units from the database. France is nearly complete, and almost all German units are available if you use Firetuner to place them.

Take special attention to the default promotion and the unit's description on the production screen, I'd like to know how many texts needs to be corrected / added / changed.

The code to define projects have been massively updated, so I'd like to know if texts or old projects are missing (most new units doesn't have projects ATM)

There is some new unit classes to test, the (light) tank destroyer, the mobile AA, the special forces (require a military base and a military academy to be build) and the mechanized infantry.

Pick Germany or France to test all of them, they're not defined for all other nations yet (better use Germany, the projects are defined for France, and you won't get Mechanized infantry until late war...)

You can also test the balance of the new infantry tank line (pick UK or France for those)
- bonus vs fortified units
- bonus in defense

DISCLAIMER for the beta version:
- No installation support
- Use only the Europe 39-45 map for the first stage of the beta
- Don't expect to play a full game, there could be game-breaking bugs at this stage.
- While adding new units, all new version may brake saved games, you're warned !

Links are in the spoiler, read the above first and click "show".

Report new bugs in this thread (but check the list below to see if it has not been already reported)

Current bugs:
  • New late war units can be build in 1939 (corresponding Projects have not been defined yet)

And thanks for testing :goodjob:

Looks great. Loving the new graphics.

Noticed one bug so far. Surface units (cruisers, battleships, etc.) can attack other units with melee and ranged attacks. The ranged attack works like it used to with the enemy returning fire.

Other minor thing is spelling. The submarine promotion text says "invisible when not in contact of enemy units". If the "of" was changed to "with" then it would make more sense.

Otherwise it looks great so far.

Hi Gedemon,
this version is compatible with europe 1939/45 saved game with v. 37 beta version?

I've played as Britain Germany and France for a few turns into the war now and wanted to post again on a few bugs I've noticed.

First I just wanted to update what I said about the previous naval bug. It's actually all naval units that can melee attack as well as the regular ranged attack.

France can't build it's regular fighter the morane saulnier. I'm pretty sure it because it's not listed in the g_Major_Units table in RedDefinesUnits.lua

The build list for german ground units is a bit screwy. I'm not sure if it's just for this beta or not, but germany can build both StuG 3 + 4, the panzer 6b and panzer 8 all from the start.

Also the light tank destroyer (which works as advertised) cant upgrade. The little icon comes up at the side but you don't have the option to upgrade. I'm not sure if this was deliberate or not so I just thought I'd post it just in case.

Those three are the only bugs I've noticed. Like I said the light tank destroyer is working fine and the other new units I've played with are too.

About balance...

I haven't played too far in so I can't make informed judgements on all the new changes. My gut tells me the infantry tank could use a nerf.

But the new promotion for the cruiser (25% against air and sea units) is way too overpowered. Fighting against another sea units means its stats go up to from 45 for melee and 30 for ranged to 56.25 and 37.5, which is stronger than both dreadnought units and heavy cruisers(which by definition should be more powerful).

Other than that the new update looks great. :goodjob:

Noticed one bug so far. Surface units (cruisers, battleships, etc.) can attack other units with melee and ranged attacks. The ranged attack works like it used to with the enemy returning fire.
Yes, thanks, that exactly the kind of bugs we'll have to track during the beta :goodjob:

Now each unit class have only one "global" free promotion with a description, and I've removed all the "individual" free promotions.

Seems that I've forgotten to add the "<OnlyDefensive>1</OnlyDefensive>" tag to all naval units, which was in one of the separated promotion...

Other minor thing is spelling. The submarine promotion text says "invisible when not in contact of enemy units". If the "of" was changed to "with" then it would make more sense.
Noted.

Hi Gedemon,
this version is compatible with europe 1939/45 saved game with v. 37 beta version?
No. It may load without crashing, but it won't play as intended.

France can't build it's regular fighter the morane saulnier. I'm pretty sure it because it's not listed in the g_Major_Units table in RedDefinesUnits.lua
Yep, I will add it.

The build list for german ground units is a bit screwy. I'm not sure if it's just for this beta or not, but germany can build both StuG 3 + 4, the panzer 6b and panzer 8 all from the start.
It's for the beta.

First we add the new units to be tested, then the projects that will be required to build them. (and the upgrade path)

Speaking of upgrades, I think I may finally change it a bit, with 2 types of upgrade:
- one with a higher cost (T-28 to T-34/76 for example)
- another with a lower cost for similar units (T-34/76 to T-34/85 for example)

More control on how to allocate material and personnel is still planned BTW.

Also the light tank destroyer (which works as advertised) cant upgrade. The little icon comes up at the side but you don't have the option to upgrade. I'm not sure if this was deliberate or not so I just thought I'd post it just in case.
I may need to compile a new DLL for this one, it's related to the fact that this unit have a ranged attack (for the "first strike") that I want to be defensive only.

So the unit is always flagged as "has made attack" except during "defensive first strike", but I think that you can't promote an unit that has no attack left.

But the new promotion for the cruiser (25% against air and sea units) is way too overpowered. Fighting against another sea units means its stats go up to from 45 for melee and 30 for ranged to 56.25 and 37.5, which is stronger than both dreadnought units and heavy cruisers(which by definition should be more powerful).
Yep, to be looked upon again after the ranged/melee attack is fixed.

I don't remember exactly why I set that "+25% VS Naval" promotion, but there must have been a reason :o

So far the only major things I've noticed is that some naval units seem to be able to attack twice, none of mine as far as I've seen so kinda tricky to test/verify.

In regards to text errors I've only noticed the faction leader text issue (TXT_KEY_LEADER_*) added to the leaders names, it only seems to do it when war/peace notices show up aswell as when looking into the diplomacy screen.

the TXT bug should have been fixed with today's patch for Civ5.

Does anyone get Napoleon's icon and the fleur de lys instead of De Gaulle and the French flag in the setup menu and in game ?

Does anyone get Napoleon's icon and the fleur de lys instead of De Gaulle and the French flag in the setup menu and in game ?

I had that exact same problem with the USSR (except with catherine and russia). It was still hanging around after the new update, but since I did the whole verify cache thing it seems to have cleared up.

EDIT: Scratch that, it's back. But I don't think the bug is related to this mod. I saw it in other mods since the last update created TXT bug

When you select a nation the info, the leader, the leaders icon is the default game's version. I have noticed this in previous versions of the mod as well. It just started happening after I did a manual install because steam would not download the mod.

In-game I havent had the issues regarding images of the "old" leaders being used, havent really looked for the issue in the setup screen but I dont remember there being an issue.

Edit, just checked my setup screen for a europe '39 game, all seem to uses their proper faces apart from Greece which is just a flag (dunno if thats intended or not).

Yes, airfields don't work, that's why you're not able to build them (yet).

Also you can use IGE (a very well coded mod) but I can't support it, you'll have to fix any issue you can have with it (or provide me with the way to fix it).

I have just found one little bug on the Europe eastern seaboard 1937 map that may or may not be related to the update. National Spanish destroyers show up as ancient age spearmen.

I have just found one little bug on the Europe eastern seaboard 1937 map that may or may not be related to the update. National Spanish destroyers show up as ancient age spearmen.

yep, thanks (not related to the map, it will happen on all)

OK, all reported bugs are now corrected in my development version (except the new units lacking corresponding projects), I'm currently tweaking the flavors values to try to make the AI build more units, once done I'll release beta2 (tonight or tomorrow)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom