NOTW L: The Immortals [Sign-Up Thread]

Sprig

めんどくさい

~ ~ ~​

In the lands of the Calabim, there is a dark secret. It is suspected but no one knows the whole truth. Sudden disappearances within Calabim lands are widespread. Whispered tales reach foreign lands and only the hushed tones of which they are whispered give any credence to the tales; Stories of Immortal leaders and men who sacrificed the mortal life to achieve the everlasting. Tales involving blood and death and the rumours of creatures who drink blood. Some call it ‘The Curse’, the learned call it ‘Vampirism’, however, the Calabim call it ‘The Gift’.

Exar, the Immortal Vampire King, Son of the Calabim Emperor, Flauros, rules over the eastern part of the Calabim Empire. The land was conquered by himself and his armies in a distant past, forgotten by almost all save perhaps Exar himself. The land itself is interesting; it occupies most of a naturally fortified and very fertile valley called Sutlej. Nestled at the entrance to the valley is the City of Adonias. The land and city hold a strategic importance to the Calabim Empire. It is the main trade route for most of the major nations and should any nation be foolish enough to declare war, there could be no victory without first controlling the Sutlej Valley. To the south is the Sheaim who once, in ages past, fought for control of the valley. Bordering close to the north is the Amurites and finally further to the east through the Jungles and forests is the lands of the Ljosalfar. Under normal conditions lands like this would be ravished with war. But though the Calabim, Sheaim, Amurites and Ljosalfar are certainly not friends, they are all held in check by the power wielded by Exar.

Under the protection of Exar, (one could say under his protection from the rest of the Calabim empire as well), the eastern part of the empire has flourished for although the aristocracy of the Empire is maintained, the serfs are usually far better off. For unlike the rest of the empire, there is one golden rule, that not even the aristocracy can break, you can not take the life of another without permission from the Vampire King. While deaths still occur they are usually performed by the Lords and Governors of the local towns as representatives of the King in order to deal with local crime. There are, as accustom within the Calabim Empire, other deaths that are much more secretive but generally, serfs are afforded a much more protected existence than is usual for a Calabim serf. Not only that, while peace was maintained, the trade routes flourished and Adonias became a cultural Mecca. There were many races from different nations who now called the Sutlej valley their home. As long as traders and visitors did not wander too far into Calabim lands and out of Exar’s territory, they were generally safe from harm.

~ ~ ~​

Sita was a very gifted seer, not ‘gifted’ in the Calabim sense but in the ability sense. Yes, she had taken her fair share of blood, not for consumption but for rituals to help divine the future. In one particular evening, deep within a trance using blood procured from a young Sheaim trader, her sense failed her. She stood in a desert with nothing but sand dunes, she saw great mountains in the distance in opposite directions however it was what she felt that scared her. This place just felt eerily familiar. Suddenly she felt danger, a Sandstorm blew up from nowhere obscuring her vision but she was sure this was not the danger she felt. She could still feel an oncoming wrath, the smell of death came from the sand as if it was fused with blood. Slowly out of the mist a Traveller came, he was wrapped in a heavy, stained clock which hid his face from view. “Welcome to the Sutlej Valley.” said the Traveller “It has improved much since the passing of the Vampire King.”

Sita fought for control of her vision, she concentrated hard on getting rid of the sandstorm. The sandstorm slowly lightened, the winds lessened and the dust became less dense. The Traveller laughed, “It is no use, you cannot see the doom that will befall your people.” The sandstorm renewed itself with even greater fury. Sita looked up in anguish, such a thing had never happened before. Finally she took measure and stared at the traveller. “Who did this?” she asked with a controlling voice that urged obedience. “I did.” Replied the traveller. A look of surprise appeared and soon turned to one of delight. ”Very good, your powers are quite pronounced.” The traveller paused in contemplation but then continued on before Sita could interrupt. “What I mean to say is that I killed Exar.” Sita gasped but the Traveller continued. “Not that I had much choice in the matter, not after what he became. This place would have been much worse had I not.” Sita looked in horror. “But this is a wasteland!” she exclaimed. “True.” Nodded the Traveller. “This land has been ravished by war and Exar’s successor devoured the lands with his unending hunger. But this is not the worst that could have happened.”

The Traveller turned and headed into the sandstorm. “Wait!” Yelled Sita “Why can’t I see this future? Why have I never seen this before?” her voice was restrained but it did not completely hide her angst. The Traveller paused as the the wind and sand swept around him. “You already know within your heart why.” His voice began to trail off and he began to fade into the storm. Sita collapsed on the ground. “I am… dead?” she murmured. The Traveller had already disappeared into the sand but his voice echoed around her. “Danger is coming, you can’t stop it but you must warn the Vampire King. He must not search for this evil himself least it destroys him. The enemy is close to him, watch out! And perhaps you may right two wrongs.” Sita’s eyes snapped open and she was alone in her meditation room. The Travellers voice still rang in her ears. She jumped to her feet, she knew what she must do before her time runs out.

~ ~ ~​

Game Information

~ ~ ~​

Objective:
The object of Night of the Werewolves is similar to Mafia. In this case, there are a group of people within the town who are secretly werewolves. At night, the Werewolves (or similar bad group) will kill a member of the town. If you are innocent, it is your job to accuse/vote for a player, during the day phase, who you think is guilty of being a Werewolf (or similar bad groups). The player that has the most accusations at the end of the day phase is lynched by the rest of the town.

In this particular game, it is the objective of the bad guys to have their combined team strength to exceed the combined strength of the remaining players. And it is the object of the innocents is to lynch all the werewolves (or similar bad groups).

Please note that a number of terms maybe different from your normal mafia game. It is my intention to preserve the integrity of what made a NOTW special to me. See the NOTW information thread for more details

Time Cycle:
The game will alternate between 48 hour days and 24 hour nights. During the daytime, accusations votes may be made, and public messages may be posted. During the night, player abilities may be used in secret by PM'ing the GM. Private Messages may be sent regardless of the time of day.

There might be extensions of time depends on whether I have time to do write ups and what not.

Voting:
There will be no voting, just accusations. At the end of the day cycle, a player will be killed/lynched. You will not be required to accuse in a certain format, just bolding ([b][/b]) will be sufficient. I would prefer if you do not use the words ‘vote: player X’ as it is out of character. Please see the Role-playing rule. To remove an accusation from a player, please use the bold ([b][/b]) and strikeout ([s][/s]) tags

Examples:
- “I know that the Sita is a Werewolf“
- ”Actually I was wrong about Sita. It is actually Sprig who is the werewolf”

There will also be voting for Items that are usually left behind after a person is lynch or killed. Voting for these items will be in a similar manner as an accusation above. The only difference is that items will be associated with a colour.

Example:
- “I think the Raw Mana should go to Sprig, he is omnipotent after all. “

Role-playing:
This is not a holdfast rule but please try to stay in-Character, and do not just make a post that just contains an accusation. It is not hard to add a little flavour. Each of you will have a role and will receive a role PM with a brief background story. Please use this (and embellish if you want) to help add a little flavour to your posts.

Lynch
In this game this lynch is performed by the NPC ‘Exar the Vampire King”

There are two types of Lynch
- Complete Lynch; Causes 10 Damage to targets strength and the Vampire King heals 2 strength.
- Partial Lynch; Causes 5 Damage to targets strength

The complete lynch will be performed if a player receives a majority of the accusations (over 50% of the accusations)
The partial lynch will be performed if a player receives a plurality of the votes (The highest amount of accusations but not gaining over 50% of the total)
More details on Strength are explained in the character stats below

Items:
This game will contain items, all characters will have at least 1 items. Most items enable spells. This means that they may enable an ability for any character that possess that item. More details on items can be found character stats below

Items can be passed in private to another player through PMing the ‘Host’. It is also possible to ‘show’ the item (and its associated abilities) to another player again by PMing the ’Host’

Score: (and commentary)

In many Mafia Games even though all the innocents are one group (albit unknown to each other) and need to work together to achieve victory, they generally behave selfishly as though their primary objective is to survive first then as a secondary objective, eliminate the mafia/werewolves/cults etc. This is further compounded sometimes by GM’s either actively or passively.

For the latter, this is usually done through role creation and unclear victory objectives & personal goals. They are usually put in as an afterthought for boring characters or they are really generic goals because the GM has run out of ideas. (I am guilty of this also, it’s bloody hard to put one of these together)

For the former, this is done by excluding innocents who have died from victory even if the remaining innocents win. Sometimes this is directly implied by the GM and other times it is the prevalent belief among senior players that seems to filter down.

It is my opinion that this is detrimental to the enjoyment of a Mafia/NotW game by all players. (yes inactive and getting killed early play a part in this too but there is not a whole lot that can be done about this)

It is my personal belief that people who fight and die to protect their country, their loved one, etc are Heroes. Even if they are my enemy and even if their leadership is corrupt or unjust. Sometimes we must fight when we want to protect something and sometimes one has to sacrifice oneself in order to protect those around them.

It is this kind of belief that I think should be instilled into a Mafia/NotW game. Your character that is assigned is fighting for his or her belief, defence of their homeland or loved ones. Your character is not just going to lie there and let his world be destroyed. So I think that, should a character die for their ‘cause’ they shouldn’t be penalised for that.

That is why I have become a fan of a ‘score’ if you will, that has been implemented in some of the games here and at the .org. So players, even though they have died, can still be rewarded for their efforts in game.

I have implemented a score in ‘The Immortals’ based on a player having 3 objectives:
  • Primary Goal; Objective shared by the collective. (55%)
  • Secondary Goal; Objective shared by a group. (could be known to each other or not.) (30%)
  • Personal Goal; Personal objective for each player. (15%)

Each of these goals/objectives is weighted as above. The primary goal can be completed regardless of death while the secondary goal and personal goal must be achieved (or maintained) while alive.

For example: If your personal goal is to make sure that war is not declared by the Ljosalfar and when you die there still is peace your goal is considered satisfied. If two turns later Ljosalfar declare war, the achievement of your personal goal is not reversed.

This makes it possible that if you have achieved your secondary and personal goals, you could sacrifice your life for the greater good and still end up with a total victory (Hero rank).

Score Rank

above 99% Hero
above 80% Champion
above 50% Victor
above 40% Achiever
above 20% Survivor
above 10% Defeated
only! 0% Annihilated​

Misc Mechanics

There will be two NPC characters, ‘Exar the Vampire King’ and ‘Sita the Seer’.
- They are both innocent. Their strength will be added to the total strength of the town.
- They will be fully targetable for actions, item transfers and item voting.
- They will not perform any spells/actions at night
- They will not transfer any items to player
- They will not be targetable for the lynch.
- Their Role PM will be public and any updates to the role will be visible
- I have the suspicion that Sita will not fulfil her personal goal!

There will be a Diplomacy score for the three bordering nations: Sheaim, Amurites and Ljosalfar
- This score will be updated at each update.
- The score is affected by offensive actions against players of the respective nationalities
- Many players will have objectives linked to Diplomacy score
- Other effects (if any) are not public knowledge

Only one (active) spell or (active) ability can be performed per night

Order of action processing at the end of each phase:
1. Lynch (if applicable)
2. Item transfers
3. Passive Abilities
4. Defensive abilities (in order received)
5. Prophet abilities
6. Offensive abilities (in order received)
7. Natural Health Regeneration

Players injured/damaged naturally heal. This healing occurs at end of Night phase after all other actions if eligible. (after a full game-day cycle.)

~ ~ ~​

Game Information continued

~ ~ ~​

Role PM Layout & Explanation
Before the game starts every player will sent a PM giving them their role for the game. The role PM will tell you your Public Role, Alignment, Victory conditions, Strength, Ability/abilities, any Items you carry, Personal Goal & Background. Each component is defined below:

Name
This is the players CFC username. Used for Accusations and Actions.

Role
This is the public role of your character.

Nation
This is the nation to which your character belongs.
It will be obvious where most characters come from but it is here for completeness.

Race
This is the race of your character.
Known races are Human, Elf and Vampire.

Alignment
Alignment is whether you are a good guy (innocent/townie) or a baddie(Mafia/werewolf or other evil variation)
Alignment will affect your objectives.
All innocent players will have one of their Primary or Secondary objectives as: ‘Eliminate all threats.’ This means to eliminate all players who do not have their alignment as ‘innocent’

Primary Objective
This will be your main goal of the game. This will account for 55% of your final score.
If this objective is achieved after your character has died it will still be counted towards your final score.

Secondary Objective
This is your secondary game objective. This will account for 30% of your final score.
If this objective is achieved after your character has died, it will not be counted towards your final score.

Strength
The default strength is 2 (2).

Strength fulfils two purposes:
1. Health. (or Hit Points)
2. Strength of your abilities/spells.
You will be provided with two numbers. Current Strength and Maximum Strength in Brackets
I.e. 2 (3)

- Current Strength is linked to your health. Offensive actions that damage you will take away from your Current strength.
- Maximum Strength is linked to the success rate of an ability or spell. You can consider it both your magic attack and defense strength.

Should your Current Strength drop to Zero, your character will perish and you will be unable to participate further in the game.

The natural rate at which you regain strength is after being wounded is 1 strength per game day cycle. This can be thought of as Healing or Regeneration rate. There will be ways to boost your healing rate.

Affinity
Everyone will have at least one affinity to a Mana type. Possession of that mana type will increase your strength by one for each unit you hold.
Mana appears in this game in the form of Orbs.

Orbs
There are 18 different types of Mana Orbs in this game.
They are the only items in this game.
The only publicly known Orbs at the start of the game are Raw Mana, Death Mana and Law Mana.
Everyone will start off with at least one Orb of some kind.
Possession of an orb may enable a spell associated with that type of orb.
Each person will have 2 or 3 mana types that they simply cannot use not matter how many orbs of that type they may possess.

Spells
Spells can be thought of as normal abilities. Some spells will be active and others passive.
Spells come in 3 tiers. In order to access the higher tiers you will need more of the type of Mana associated to that spell.
For example, should there be a lightning orb; you will need two orbs to access the Tier 2 lightning spell and three Lightning orbs to access the Tier 3 lightning spell.

Natural Abilities
Some players will have a natural ability or two. These, like spells, will be a mixture of active and passive actions. However, in most cases these will be passive.

Personal Objective
Each player will have their own personal goal different to all others. This objective if achieved will account for 15% of your final Score.
If this objective is achieved after your character has died, it will not be counted towards your final score.

Background
Some backstory and information about your character. Used for role-playing.

Sample Role PM

Name: Sprig
Role: Sita, Mystic Seer
Nation: Calabim
Race: Human

Alignment: Innocent
- Primary Victory Condition: Eliminate all threats.
- Secondary Victory Condition: Protect the Vampire King, Exar, from the Prophesied threats.

Strength:
3 (3)

Affinity:
- Raw Mana (+1 Strength)

Orbs:
- 1x Law Mana – Enables Law Spells.
- 1x Raw Mana – No Effect.

Spells:
Law Spells Increases the value of your accusation
- Law I Can Turn Raw Mana into Law Mana
- Law II Your accusation is worth 2 votes (Requires 2 Law Mana)
- Law III Your accusation is worth 3 votes (Requires 3 Law Mana)

Natural Abilities:
Tainted Blood – Every night you may select a player to use his blood for your prophecy ritual. You will be shown possible futures for that player.

Personal Objective:
Prove the Prophecy wrong and survive to the end.

Background:
You are a renowned seer, and close and personal friend to the King, Some say the Kings immense power was due to having you as an advisor. It is a load of old tosh of course, you’re just a normal girl trying to do what’s right. But still, it’s too bad you had to have a vision that predicted your death. But that doesn’t mean you are going to give up, you will fight to the death to protect these lands and your King.

~ ~ ~​

~ ~ ~​

Sign-ups are now open. I am looking for exactly 33 players and a few reserves.

Players:
  1. Nintz
  2. SouthernKing
  3. Takhisis
  4. Secret Scribe
  5. JoanK
  6. Visorslash
  7. choxorn
  8. Zack
  9. Verarde
  10. TheLastDays
  11. BSmith1068
  12. spaceman98
  13. Autolycus
  14. ChineseWarlord
  15. Askthepizzaguy
  16. Seon
  17. Backwards Logic
  18. The Black Knigh
  19. topsecret
  20. johnhughthom
  21. robbiecon
  22. Jarrema
  23. Frozen In Ice
  24. Stuck in Pi
  25. Kennigit
  26. KingMorgan
  27. Darth Caesar
  28. kill fire
  29. Catharsis
  30. PaulusIII
  31. Bad Player
  32. thomas.berubeg
  33. Last space left

NPC's:
  1. Exar (Sprig/NPC)
  2. Sita (Sprig/NPC)

Reserves:
  1. Buddafish

~ ~ ~
Any questions, please flick me a PM.​

A FfH Mafia?

Count me in.

I believe in the sand beneath my toes
The beach gives a feeling, an earthy feeling
I believe in the faith that grows
And the four right chords can make me cry
When I'm with you I feel like I could die
And that would be alright, alright

expressing interest. will confirm after reading rules.

I'm enough of a manly man to join this game even before/without reading the rules (which no player worth his salt would do anyway).

I'm enough of a manly man to join this game even before/without reading the rules (which no player worth his salt would do anyway).

Is that a challenge? Is it? Well I shall take it, then! Count me in! Who needs rules anyway?

So then I don't have to call you… chicken?

We can have some more
Nature is a whore
Bruises on the fruit
Tender age In Bloom

I'll bite.

The complete lynch will be performed if a player received over 50% of the accusations
The partial lynch will be performed if a player receives the majority of the votes
I assume you meant to say 'plurality' here? A majority of the votes would be over 50%. :p

Aaaarrgghhh! The Texan nitpicker hath returned! Run for your lives and sanities! :run:

I read the rules.

(;

In.

I need me some NOTW and some RP pl0x

Top Bottom