TSG78 After Actions

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG78 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

- How did you use religion or spying to your advantage?
- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
- Did Japan's new unique traits contribute to your game plan or victory/loss? If so, how?

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay).

Would be interested to hear any thoughts on game setup. :)

Took out Marrakech on Turn 213. I probably could have done this faster if I had known sooner how connected the map was. When the first border you see is Zulu brown, getting to know the lay of the land quickly changes to wipe them out before they get Impi.

Used my first spy to protect my tech lead. After that, I didn't bother as it was all over once I got frigates. As for religion, I took Pagodas as my second follower belief, and it helped keep my happiness in the green until the last capital fell.

Huge help, all but one capital was easily accessible to naval forces. took three of the last four capitals with pure naval assaults.

At Prince I knew I was just a matter of finding all the capitals. So once I took out Zulu I had a couple trireme out finding the ones not on my continent.

- Did Japan's new unique traits contribute to your game plan or victory/loss? If so, how?

Not really. Once I saw how accessible the capitals were, I knew I'd have this one done before culture became a worry. The trait that made the difference was the old part of Bushido, as a couple capitals fell to units that were in the red.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 78
Date submitted: 2014-01-16 14:02:18
Reference number: 30456
Your name: Swissy
Game status: Domination Victory
Game date: 1515AD
Turns played: 213
Base score: 1380
Final score: 3285
Time played: 2:45:00

I beat it on turn 198, but also I wish I had seen that the map connected. Samurai would have been all that was needed and would have been great fun. Instead I did Oxford to Astronomy and used land and sea. I was OCC until then and my science ended up really being bad in the long run.

Date submitted: 2014-01-16 19:57:43
Reference number: 30458
Your name: budweiser
Game date: 1380AD
Turns played: 198
Base score: 1069
Final score: 2741
Time played: 2:17:00

I didn't use religion except for monument of the gods: Great Library, Oracle, Terracotta Army, Great Wall. The GL Oracle combo gave me 2 GS points which I bulbed towards EDU and Navigation. But since I had low science from OCC it really didn't push me forward. The map was a hindrance to my land units but my navy did a good job. Because it was prince, I used relatively few units to take each cap. But at first I took losses and my land assault ended at the Shoshone, losing the extra troops from Terracotta army. I ended up making some fishing boats with the samurai from this offensive as they didnt participate in the other wars. LOL. Towards the end only 2 frigates and a privateer took out the Celts. Bushido was helpful, but again, I wish I could have created a greater land attack to really use it. Muskets and cannons took Marrakech.

This is my first domination game in BNW :lol:
And I'm playing as the Demon King Oda Nobunaga (I'm a big fan of samurai warriors series)

Date submitted: 2014-01-16 22:41:27
Reference number: 30461
Your name: kb27787
Game date: 1580AD
Turns played: 226
Base score: 1431
Final score: 3180
Time played: 2:14:00
Submitted save: TSG78_End.Civ5Save
Renamed file: kb27787_C507801.Civ5Save

(I could've ended it much sooner but I wanted to kill off everyone for the past suffering they have inflicted me in deity games past, Boudicca the backstabber and Shaka the frontstabber especially... oh and Rammy the annoying too)

I srsly did not expect Marrakech to be inaccessible (all I had was frigates and only a few ground troops... oh well, where there's a will...)
Spoiler :

Behold the canal of Tokyo!

Demon king indeed :lol: I killed everyone off and razed every non-capitol :lol: MAN that felt refreshing after playing peaceful and nice all my civ career.
Spoiler :

Missed the celts, thought they were south of Morocco, had to send back the troops - cost me 20 -30 turns on the finish.

Date submitted: 2014-01-17 14:02:07
Reference number: 30464
Your name: KingMorgan
Game date: 660AD
Turns played: 143
Base score: 668
Final score: 2385
Time played: 4:22:00

Because I just played the last Minor Gauntlet, and recognized that the captials of the first 3 civs are all coastal, I used the same strategy to smash them all. That is beeline GL and NC, required worker techs, beeline compass. Get the first 4 capitals with 4 galleasses and 2 triremes. Was delayed by Morokko building the Walls (capital is not reachable by ships). Got it at T185

Ugh. Turn 166, wasted 20 turns at least looking for the damned Celts. Or 30. Felt like a million. Went with two cities and then slow waddling around. Should have started the wave against Siam and company earlier.

Starting build was Worker/Monument (dumb)/Settler/Worker/GL/College, as I recall, and I really think going with the GL might have been a waste. Biggest mistake though was to go to Machinery before picking up Compass, the Galleasses would have been nice to have earlier on this map.

Well, the only prize i'm in for is slowest conquest... I wasn't focused on the prize early enough and over did the non conquest side of my empire, maybe expecting a harder difficulty and a less connected map.

Date submitted: 2014-01-17 21:49:40
Your name: alh_p
Game date: 1735AD
Turns played: 257
Base score: 1973
Final score: 3868
Time played: 5:58:00

How did you use religion or spying to your advantage?
I used religion mostly for happiness from pagodas and extra GPT from temples from the piety tree.

I hit the renaissance first and had such a tech lead that my spies (had two at game end) only defended or scoped out my next target.

Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
It slowed the pace of conquest and required a strong navy as well as army. I conquered 4 civs with army and 2 with navy only and 1 with a combination of both. My navy had to go the long way around the world to Edinburgh as i'd left the Mayans with a city blocking the eastern straights out of the central sea.

How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
I was tempted by the ready availability and ease of building too many wonders. The only one i wanted and lost out to the AI was Chichen Itza.

I was also easy to build a tech lead with the GL and NC up by T110, such that I was an era ahead of opponents most of the time and bale to take capitals with frigates and privateers alone.

Did Japan's new unique traits contribute to your game plan or victory/loss? If so, how?
I must have had at least 1 golden age helped by the Samurai. Managed to build many more fishing boats with them too. I'd say that Samurai built 80-90% of my fishing boats. That was partly a conscious choice as it must have been a lot cheaper in terms of hammers.

I'm sure, but it was harder to tell, that the UA helped my XBs/frigates with reducing sieges as they will have used full strength even when under fire from the defenders or the city.

My first GOTM, I've enjoyed this experience. So thanks for hosting it, it must take quite a bit of time to set up and run.

I think I might now try the game again (on a different map) using liberty.

Date submitted: 2014-01-18 00:41:35
Reference number: 30471
Your name: Mac1961
Game date: 1580AD
Turns played: 226
Base score: 1428
Final score: 3173
Time played: 3:46:00
Submitted save: Oda Nobunaga_0226 AD-1580.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Mac1961_C507801.Civ5Save

My first GOTM, I've enjoyed this experience. So thanks for hosting it, it must take quite a bit of time to set up and run.

Welcome to CFC and the TSG GotM! Have fun and keep us posted on your games.

HR

t217 for me... my fastest victory to date! Kicking myself because that could've been sub-t200 for sure had I not got sucked in to building a few too many wonders/buildings I ultimately didn't need. Should've had more map uncovered earlier too.

Date submitted: 2014-01-17 19:08:14
Reference number: 30468
Your name: Osner
Game date: 1280AD
Turns played: 188
Base score: 1222
Final score: 3302
Time played: 5:23:00

I am not a warmonger at all and this even might be my first domination win. Really enjoyed this game. Started with two cities and went straight for GL and NC. Then just took the other civs one by one. Got terracotta army and the 15% bonus against cities wonder.

In any event this will be my last GOTM on my old laptop. No more strategic mode only, no more very long turn times, no more crashes and no more small games only. Yeah!:D

Date submitted: 2014-01-18 11:21:20
Reference number: 30476
Your name: Memoryjar
Game date: 960AD
Turns played: 158
Base score: 822
Final score: 2651
Time played: 2:13:00

Lost a few turn for Oxford to Navigation cause I need to raze Salzburg marching on Vienna. After I forgot Oxford, so I missed around 6 to 8 turns.

Religion for cash and hammers. Further for happiness, but game was too short.

When I know where is Marrakech, I suppose Celts were on upper left on the map. Good choice.
Small continents suppose coastal capital. I planed fast navigation.
I build a land army cause, I had game with Inland capital. So...

On Prince, around T200, AI have yet warriors, catapult and CB, so early war is easy.
Navigation ensured me fast win if I need to cross ocean far 1 or 2 civs

UA, a lot I think. UUs nope.

I fairly loose 15 turns with Oxford and get wrong city in a Peace deal with Austria.
I used only one trireme later for explore map, so Morocco and Celts showed their heads later. Thanks to embassy, it were easier to find Marrakesh and Edinburgh

Date submitted: 2014-01-18 14:11:20
Your name: Tabarnak
Game date: 580AD
Turns played: 139
Base score: 862
Final score: 3192
Time played: 2:28:00
Submitted save: Oda Nobunaga_0139 AD-0580.Civ5Save

EDIT : For this time i will let the vid online. But for next GOTMs i will post only after the deadline. I was used to post screeshots, vids and infos right away but it seems that it's better to keep them off until deadline.

Game is posted on youtube(720p will be available soon, no sound after the turn 70 sorry about that...i think that i plugged my headset after i started recording 2nd part...lesson learned)

Link to video.

Obviously, it wasn't a super fast time finish. I was a bit rusted playing single player...prince level makes things much more easier than i thought.

The 4th city was useless and cost me some turns. I wanted Navigation badly. Wasn't sure if Celts needed Astro to finish. Fortunately i got Navigation tech fast enough to cut some turns near the end. I forgot some little things like switching for missionnary in the religion menu.

Best path after review :

Stay with 3 cities. Build GL and GLH. Get CBs for Siam and Marracech. Get Compass tech for Galleas. Build/buy a ton of them. Send them in group of 3 or 4 + trireme in these direction in chronologically order : 1st fleet(4) : Zulus, Mayans, Shoshones. 2nd fleet(3) : Celts. 3rd fleet(3) : Vienna.

You can expect a sub 110 turns with this better approach.

148 occ victory.. settled the coastal hill NE.. good producion.. the extra salt i eventually got was useless as nobody had anything to trade.. no gold no luxuries.. went gl to nc to glh.. oxford to nav..
my order was zulu, siam, austria, maya, celts, morocco, shosh..
could have cut a bunch of turns off it but i ran into gold probs to upgrade 1/2 of fleet and stupidly forgot i could just demand from cs.. plus my general clumsy order added many turns.

Putting Morocco down on that coast was just mean, man! :p

I bought a settler in Sukothai and put him down on the isthmus just to get my fleet in. Saving Morocco for the end cost me about 25 turns.

Date submitted: 2014-01-18 22:17:17
Reference number: 30481
Your name: YYZ
Game date: 1050AD
Turns played: 165
Base score: 964
Final score: 2921
Time played: 5:16:00

Build an army and sent it East.
Used Terracotta to create 2nd army and sent it south.
Samurai is a great unit but game was pretty much wrapped up by time they arrived.

Spoiler :
Date submitted: 2014-01-19 06:33:42
Reference number: 30485
Your name: krc
Game date: 1300AD
Turns played: 190
Base score: 1091
Final score: 2871
Time played: 4:10:00
Submitted save: TSG78_Victory-190.Civ5Save
Renamed file: krc_C507801.Civ5Save

Only ever built two cities. Took out Zulu, Shoshone, and Maya using a combination of composite bows, swordsmen, and spearmen. Moved that army (agonizingly slowly, with swords upgraded to samurai) across the water to the second continent (with Morocco, Siam, and Austria). Built a small second army and three galleasses and used it to conquer Siam. Morocco built the Terracotta Army and Austria built the Great Wall. United all my land forces to kill Morocco (since he had a lot of troops). Then used galleasses from the north and the army from the south to take Vienna.

Just as I researched navigation, a barbarian horseman pillaged my main source of iron (near Palenque), so I couldn't upgrade my galleasses to frigates. This caused several turns of delay before I could go and wipe out the Celts.

How did you use religion or spying to your advantage?
They did not matter at all.

Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
All the coastal connections made it relatively easy to find everyone. The hills near the Shoshone, the jungles near the Maya, the lack of sea access to the Moroccan capital, and the near to deal with an Austrian Great Wall all contributed to the feeling that this was a slog. Everyone was easy to kill; the only hard part was taking the time to get the armies and navies into a position where they could attack.

How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
Tried to resist the urge to build wonders since they are so easy to get on prince. Basically ignored diplomacy, and almost ignored trade, since it was easy to crank out troops and go take what I wanted.

Did Japan's new unique traits contribute to your game plan or victory/loss? If so, how?
No. Everything was over before any of those traits could possibly make a difference.

Your name: golem
Game date: 1030AD
Turns played: 163
Base score: 747
Final score: 2334

I did two cities, lot of CBs and slowly look for oponents. All was pretty easy, only Marocco in the end had a lot of swordsmans, but I destroy their mine. I did no ships all the game - it would be faster. I did lot of useless wonders too, that slow me down. Onlz Terracota army help a lot.
Thanks for nice game.

Top Bottom