TSG78 After Actions

About the map: It didn't seem like small continents. It seemed like 2 regular size and it threw me off.

I would have liked about half the civs reachable by land or coast for samurai action and the second half reachable across deep water with inland caps for gunpowder action.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 78
Date submitted: 2014-01-19 09:34:46
Reference number: 30489
Your name: raidandtrade
Game status: Domination Victory
Game date: 1705AD
Turns played: 251
Base score: 1669
Final score: 3338
Time played: 6:54:00

Was going well until Morocco. Shaka was gone and I took (and razed) Te-Moak with 4 CBs and my starting warrior plus my scout substitute warrior. Took Goshute in a peace deal then parked my army there while I teched to machinery then took him and marched south for the Maya. The Celts took a 2 pop Chichen Iza so I took it and liberated it thinking I’d get a little anti-mongering but it didn’t seem to do much.

I saw that the others were coastal so I built a navy and took Vienna followed by a simultaneous strike on Siam and the Celts. Once they healed up I sailed from both places hoping to come around on Morocco from at least one side, if not two but hit the ice caps. :-(

Change of plans needed so I took out Rabat with half the navy while my army embarked. A cannon, two XBs, a samurai, a lancer and a musket man got there for the opening assault and I threw them at it losing the samurai and lancer but seizing the game before the other two cannons arrived. Probably added about 50 turns but hey, it’s still my quickest ever Civ win.

- How did you use religion or spying to your advantage?

Religion got me some pagodas which helped with the happiness. I planted a spy in Morocco to check their troops.

- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?

The hills were a pain for taking Shoeshone but a nice natural barrier for Japan.

- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?

I probably still played a little too cautiously in the beginning. I only recently moved up through King and Emperor to Immortal but domination games aren’t usually my style. As I was on Prince, I knew I had a good shot at wonders and spammed them. Great Library, Hanging Gardens, Pyramids were all mine early. I built Forbidden Palace just for grins and Leaning Tower because my CS ally wanted me to build it. Machu Pichu because I could as well. Himijei Castle because Morocco was building it when I was attacking them.

About the map: It didn't seem like small continents. It seemed like 2 regular size and it threw me off.

I would have liked about half the civs reachable by land or coast for samurai action and the second half reachable across deep water with inland caps for gunpowder action.

Every time I've played small continents (or sc plus) recently, I've started on a continent with 4 civs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I am happy with that. It was all fairly predictable stuff at Prince level. I enjoyed the map, but it took far too long to navigate around it. I should have opened exploration much earlier so my two groups of Galleas's and triremes seemed to be zig-zagging all over the place. Maybe if I had found the Celts before T100, I would have finished it sooner.

In the end it was two naval flotillas and one land army to conquer the world.

tried this again for fun.. turn 125..
tried settling in place this time.. occ gl to nc to glh.. straight to galleas then spammed galleas without even considering frigates.. for each ship promotion i chose speed (along with exploration SP).. shouldve built writer's guild as that SP came a bit late.

this time i went zulu, siam, maya/austria, shosh, morocco/celts.. like others i built a city below marrakech to finish morocco.. someone will crush this as i still wasnt v efficient with my ship movement along with other details.. frigates couldve shaved some turns at the end.. i didnt even bother researching astronomy.. just sort of switched off paying attention to tech after civil service got me needed open borders..

Spoiler :

Morocco, and sloppy scouting, cost me 25 Turns as I had to have my Samurai and Crossbowmen swim over while I built/Faithed a few more units out of Sukhotai instead of cleaning him up with my fleet. 2 XBow, 4 Samurai, 1 city-attack magnet Knight and a gifted Musketman took down the Great Walled cap. The new, improved Samurai is pretty sweet. I did not know they could build Fishing Boats!

I OCCed NE of the start on the coastal mountainside hill, which let me work 3 Salt and 2 Grain. All the production and food you could want, plus 3 sea resources cranking CPT. Full Tradition, 3 into Exploration and opened Rationalism. Oxford for Navigation, but I only got to use Frigates on Moson Kahni.

Date submitted: 2014-01-23 03:02:17
Reference number: 30510
Your name: casualplayer
Game date: 1200AD
Turns played: 181
Base score: 1156
Final score: 3211
Time played: 3:27:00
Submitted save: Oda Nobunaga_0181 AD-1210.Civ5Save
Renamed file: casualplayer_C507801.Civ5Save

First time playing GOTM.
First time playing Oda.

Date submitted: 2014-01-24 11:37:31
Reference number: 30514
Your name: Kaiser Wilhelm
Game date: 1924AD
Turns played: 345
Base score: 2652
Final score: 3900
Time played: 4:47:00
Submitted save: Oda Nobunaga_0345 AD-1925.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Kaiser_Wilhelm_C507801.Civ5Save

I spent way too much time on non-domination activity.
Good learning experience to see how other players are playing the same scenario.

First time playing GOTM.
First time playing Oda.

Welcome to CFC and Game of the Month! :) Good luck in our future offers and, haha, if you just cant wait you can still play any older GotM saves even though the submission deadline has passed.

HR

Date submitted: 2014-01-26 15:22:05
Reference number: 30524
Your name: robertl30
Game date: 2034AD
Turns played: 468
Base score: 3128
Final score: 3363
Time played: 26:31:00
Submitted save: TSG78_Finish.Civ5Save
Renamed file: robertl30_C507801.Civ5Save

First time GOTMer. Long time player. But I guess I'm just a casual player. You guys are just killing me here with the early victories. I didn't even realize that was possible. I'll need to replay this one and be a lot more aggressive I think. I usually play for science victory and I think I spent too much time worrying about cultural/science aspects. Oh, well, now I have a goal to strive for.

- How did you use religion or spying to your advantage?

Again I usually win by making lots of CS friends. So I busied my spies in rigging elections. I also had to have a spy in Kyoto as I was ahead in science and everyone was stealing.

- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?

First time playing Small Continents. Interesting. They were bigger than I expected. Really two large and two small continents I'd say.

- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?

I've been playing at King level so this was a little step down. I haven't gone anywhere near the upper levels. Have yet to win a game at emperor.

- Did Japan's new unique traits contribute to your game plan or victory/loss? If so, how?

I thought the Samurai were pretty groovy. I built some zeros but barely got them into the fight when it was all over.

My biggest mistake was really stupid. I thought I'd conquered Austria. But I got a peace treaty and won a Salzburg and never went back to take Vienna. Realized this very late. Again, I don't ever play like this usually so the rules confused me a bit. I'm still used to Civ 3/4 where domination meant taking everything not just capitals.

Well this was fun. Looking forward to reading thru other players strategies and learning how to get better at this game.

First time GOTMer.

Welcome to CFC and Game of the Month! I'm glad the pros didnt discourage you from playing and posting. We all had to start somewhere and I was in the same position learning the game from waaaay behind. Thanks for playing and keep at it.

HR

went three city Tradition start.
Found all enemies quite early with Triremes scouting east and south/west.
Didn't finish Tradition (no Oligarchy), switched to Exploration (got Opener, plus Maritime Infrastructure & Naval Tradition).
went for GL, but lost it to the Shoshone around turn 50 I think. (kinda thought the Prince AI would be later with that).
unfazed, I went for Great Lighthouse for the naval strategy - and got it.
took out Ulundi with Comp Bows, then sent them south to take out Siam. then split to take out Morocco and Austria (with naval support).
two Galleas fleets took out the Maya, the Shoshone, and the Celts.
maybe a GL start with Liberty GS to get Compass would be an idea? I wonder if the GS would come in time.
I guess you would have to work hard to ally all the culture CSs.
fun game, thanks HR!

Found all enemies quite early with Triremes scouting east and south/west.

That was the key. I met Zulus too fast and priorize go to Ulundi. So I build triremes too late and so was blocked by Siam.
I used to play on small continents (random actually), and it's the first time I can reach last continents without astronomy.
This is what I learn in this game : scout the map, scout the map, scout the map.

t137. occ. wasnt familiar with this map type, so wasnt sure if i'd need astronomy or not. i figured if i'd found all the civs apart from the last (celts) without it, i probably didn't.

(first time i've been quicker than tabarnak - i'm usually 20 turns at least behind)

t121.

Date submitted: 2014-01-31 12:30:34
Reference number: 30548
Your name: Cromagnus
Game date: 150AD
Turns played: 121
Base score: 622
Final score: 2591
Time played: 2:15:00
Submitted save: Oda Nobunaga_0121 AD-0150.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Cromagnus_C507801.Civ5Save

I made a grave error early on by telling shaka I wasn't amassing forces at his border. I moved them back and waited like 25 turns to attack. Since he was my first victim, this slowed me down immensely. Instead of capturing my first capital on t40, I captured it like t65. I don't know why I was worried about breaking that promise, it's Prince!!! Argh :lol:

Anyway, that mistake added at least 20 turns, could have been t100 or less. Then, I sent too many troops over to the Celts, and WAY too many down to Marrakesh, delaying my attack on Palenque by about 15 turns.

My plan was to create two armies and take out two-three capitals with archers while I explored with triremes. I figured that on Prince archers would be sufficient until t80 or so. Then, once I had optics, construction, and ironworking, I would use the Liberty Finisher to get Terracotta Army.

This worked, and I got an archer, a warrior, a swordsman, a composite bowman and a chariot archer out of the deal. Boom, instant 3rd army for free.

I started with shaka, then took Austria and the Shoshone out. The army that took out Austria took out Siam. The army that took out the Shoshone swam over to the Celts. My Terracotta Army I sent after Marrakesh.

I built fishing boats, I built the Great Lighthouse... I debated Great Library. Basically, I should have just built troops and happiness buildings. I should know better, but I'm used to Deity and I wanted to try Japan's UA. Meh. Probably cooler once you tech Samurai, but I barely got swordsmen. :p

I ended up capturing Palenque last because of my poor planning. :lol:

Tempted to play again because I think GL -> Optics -> Construction is the optimal path, and you can actually go with 4 armies on Prince... every capture was overkill except Vienna... maybe t90 is possible? Ah well, I got too many other games to play!

Spoiler :

Also, I settled in place after my warrior didn't find any better tiles with his move. Used my free settler to secure KSM, which pumped out triremes. My only hard-built settler I chopped out and placed north of Kyoto to secure furs and more salt. So I went with 3 cities. Built the Pyramids, which turned out to be total overkill. I ended up deleting workers. Fast conquest = free workers!

I think the right way to attack would have been:

Army 1: Shaka -> Shoshone -> Celts
Army 2: Austria
Army 3: Siam -> Marrakesh (free terracotta army)
Army 4: Maya

The timing on that is that army 3 and 4 are created right about the same time, and 4 takes a while to walk over to palenque, so captures right around the time that marrakesh falls.

Either that, or this instead:

Army1: Palenque -> Celts
Army2: Shaka -> Shoshone
Army3: Austria (free army)
Army4: Siam -> Marrakesh

This is probably slower though, because you probably finish off the celts early and have troops twiddling their thumbs? I think the first army has to take 3 capitals, the second 2, and the third and fourth 1 each, just based on time of creation.

Getting a civ or 2 with archers? Sounds a great idea :goodjob:

I'm too conservative...

Well played Cro! :)

Getting a civ or 2 with archers? Sounds a great idea :goodjob:

I'm too conservative...

Well played Cro! :)

You're just used to higher difficulties. ;)

Archers are sufficient for much, much longer on Prince. Palenque was strength 13 or so on t121!! I think the toughest capital was strength 20. I mean, you could win the WHOLE game with archers. :crazyeye:

Another thing about Prince: I didn't do as much of this as I should have, because I was wanting to avoid DoWing unnecessarily, but if you use your scout/warrior/archer to capture enemy settlers, assuming the barbarians already haven't, it cripples the AI. On this map, you could probably do this to 4 AIs or more... and the rest the barbs will get. :lol:

Also, thanks! I remember your Tradition guide as one of the first things I read on these forums back in G&K. It really helped my game. So, it's kind of fun to get a compliment from someone I learned from. :D

Date submitted: 2014-01-26 14:24:11
Reference number: 30522
Your name: s8g
Game date: 1540AD
Turns played: 218
Base score: 1239
Final score: 2881
Time played: 4:19:00
Submitted save: tsg78_end.Civ5Save
Renamed file: s8g_C507801.Civ5Save

Thanks for the great game!

Had a very fun game. I really enjoyed this map!

- Built two cities. 1st in place, 2nd north in salt-land.
- Decided early for a sea-heavy game, delaying warfare.
- Tradition > Honour > Exploration (opened asap).
- Went hunting for two wonders; Great Lighthouse and Statue of Zevs to boost my coming sea-domination.
- Explored like crazy to meet all civs. Was happy to see so many coastal capitals.
- Oxforded to Navigation.
- Bought 3 Frigates. And started pumping out more ships.
- Nation after nation fell as I manuvered my growing fleet around the world.
- Spent to much time on the only inline captial, since they somehow killed both my non-range units, resulting in having to buy a new one & walk down again.
- Won at ~208.

Could have gotten to navigation sooner. And ofc I could have taken out Shaka and another with bowemen, but I wanted to rule the sea. This is probably the first time in Civ5 that I've won a 8 player game with domination (normally I dont go after em all). Now I'm gonna replay, with England at Immortal.

Game date: 1400AD
Turns played: 200
Base score: 1157
Final score: 2892
Time played: 16:15:00

Easy but slow. I missed Terracotta by a few turns and that was a big mistake. That delayed setting up a second army to go south, while my main army was busy conquering the east up to the Celts so far away.
Unlike people here, I did not use many boats for conquests. I'll try it next time on this type of map.
I took pagodas to keep population happy while annexing cities.
Most useful civ trait here was the ability of injured units to fight at full strength. Samurai abilities were just marginally useful in this kind of game. Culture boost was ok, but not so great, due to the starting position.
Fun game anyway.

Top Bottom