Introducing Sid Meier’s Civilization V for SteamOS

AspyrRyan

Prince
Aspyr Media is pleased to announce our first Linux and SteamOS title, Sid Meier’s Civilization V. The SteamOS release includes all Civilization V DLC and expansion content, including Gods & Kings and Brave New World.

This release targets SteamOS on current gen hardware. Additionally, we're working towards supporting Ubuntu 14.04 as well as additional video cards in future updates.

Here’s where we need your help! To improve Civ V and future AAA games on SteamOS, we're looking for feedback. Tell us below what's working great or what's not working. If you're having any problems, please contact our support directly athttp://support.aspyr.com/tickets/new

I'm awestruck, this is incredibly cool.

God, will Linux gaming really take off now with Gabe's backing? :)

I haven't played around with Linux in forever. I'll have to start again.

Yayyyy!

*COUGH* Concentrate, Steve. Concentrate.

It all seems to be working fine on Linux MINT 17 Cinnamon Edition (Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series, Intel i3 M370, 4 gigs RAM)

I'm so happy!

This may have been foolish given how shakey my Linux knowledge is, but I just kinda siezed the day on this one.

I've got SteamOS ( that Stephenson's Rocket deal ) installed on dual-boot ( typing this in "iceweasel" ( is this just Firefox being cute?! ) ). DLing Civ5 now cuz why the hell not?

The original content plays fine, BUT mods are not supported. Will mods be supported in the future?

I'm not seeing the discount in the steam store... oh, it ended at 1pm ET today. Was up for all of 1/2 a day, most of which was the middle of the night. That's like holding out something, then yanking it back. Nice.

Seems to be working fine under Ubuntu 14.04. Mac Pro 3.33 GHz hex core, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 680

Played 67 turns on a huge map with all graphics maxed-out. Seems a little slow loading the leaders' screens on first encounter but otherwise, very nice job on the port.

It's an absolutely first-class port. Great performance and excellent hardware compatibility (even working with open source drivers).

Regarding the slow loading of the leader scenes, I think it's because the Windows version uses DirectCompute for texture decompression while the Linux port is using the CPU. That makes a huge difference when you're decompressing something like 2-3GB of texture data [source: Firaxis GDC powerpoint].

The Mac port got OpenCL support for texture decompression recently which works great, so it's quite possible we'll see that show up in the Linux port in a future patch.

Finally it looks like it uses the equivalent of Windows' DirectX 9 renderer feature set, so image quality matches that and not the DirectX 11 renderer. No complaints about that mind you especially since the driver compatibility is so good it's a very welcome trade-off for most Linux gamers, I'm sure.

My comment regarding the load times for the leaders' scenes was in comparison with the OS X version. The use of OpenCL by OS X explains this and it's not that big a deal anyway.

An excellent port, I agree.

Finally it looks like it uses the equivalent of Windows' DirectX 9 renderer feature set, so image quality matches that and not the DirectX 11 renderer. No complaints about that mind you especially since the driver compatibility is so good it's a very welcome trade-off for most Linux gamers, I'm sure.

I'm not terribly familiar with the limitations of Linux gaming, but I kinda suspected this going in and wasn't surprised when I saw it.

Is there any practical way to access that "part of the video card" via Linux in future games if SteamOS and all that gets big?

Forgive my ignorance here. It does seem like it should be possible though, right?

The game crashes if you try to rename the convent.
I tried to rename the "3. Konvent von Theben" to the chary name "Ägyptische Omnipotenz" (I'm playing the game in german) and it crashed when I pressed the capital Ä. Maybe it's a problem with unicode characters.

The linux version runs better for me than the windows version! My system: Kubuntu 14.04, AMD Radeon HD 5770, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8gigs RAM

I just spent ages getting it kind of working under wine. :rolleyes:
I like it this way better anyway... :dubious:

Can anyone running the linux version tell me if its so resource hungry as the win version? My i5-2500k heats up a bit, and while I guess I should change the fan, running for hours at almost 100% CPU load might be the issue ... 98C seems a bit high, when the normal running temp is around 50.

Top Bottom