Nuevos Aires Coalition

Lord Shadow

General

Version 6 (Stable, RT-compatible)

Steam Workshop | Direct Link | Legacy Version (for vanilla BE)

The Nuevos Aires Coalition is a strong southern economic power centered around the Buenos Aires Metroplex, by the dawn of the 23rd century a megacity-state melding formerly separate urban areas such as Rosario and even Montevideo, across the Río de la Plata. The core of the Coalition essentially comprises most of the remnants of Argentina and Uruguay, and has received refugees from neighbouring countries such as Chile and Paraguay.

It would break off from the Brasilia-dominated Organization of South American States during the turmoil sparked by the first Seeding launches, and lead a revolutionary campaign to liberate much of the southern regions of the continent, Brasilian or otherwise. Spacecraft factories were seized, and before long, launch sites were being erected for orbital shuttles to assemble and crew colony ships. The first expedition is led by intrepid Director-General Mauricio Valente, one of the most respected members of the Coalition's ruling board of directors.

Nuevos Aires is able to extract 1/2/3 more Strategic Resources from deposits. The Unique Ability represents the knowledge and experience Coalition corporations earned back on Earth capitalizing on the still-rich resources of the Patagonia. Resources doubly important in the times of scarcity surrounding the Seeding, their exports became a major contributor to Nuevos Aires' wealth and war effort.

Its diplomatic agreements offer additional bonuses from Strategic Resources (Xeno Tourism Initiative), and increased unit XP gain in exchange for higher maintenance costs (Corporate Special Forces).

Kudos and thanks to TPangolin for producing the initial leader art!

Original leader-related artwork by:
Note: As of the Fall Update, 2D leaders should be visible on all leader scene quality settings.

Compatible languages: English, Spanish

Lore: Nuevos Aires Coalition
Spoiler :
The Raging Earth

The environmental upheavals which battered the world around the time of the Great Mistake weren't kind to South America. While nuclear fire raged in other parts of the planet, widespread droughts savaged the once fertile plains of the Pampas and lands as far north as Paraguay. Unrest ensued as famine set in across Argentina and most of its neighbors. In the west, an unusually active Ring of Fire of the Pacific produced tsunamis which regularly ravaged Chilean coasts and ports already besieged by the rising sea levels. On the Atlantic coast, the rise was no gentler, submerging cities like Mar del Plata and parts of Buenos Aires which would take decades to fully reclaim. But the worst didn't come until a significant portion of the Andean Southern Volcanic Zone erupted with literally earth-shattering fury. Santiago was virtually destroyed, consumed by relentless lava flows like countless smaller towns. The lasting calamity, however, were the massive roaming clouds of silicate ash which darkened the sky. A major health hazard for years even thousands of miles away from the eruptions, they made it even harder for crops to grow and cattle to subsist. Air transport was non-existent for just as long, and maintenance costs for any and all sorts of heavy machinery skyrocketed. By the time the proverbial dust had settled, millions had died, and millions more had been deprived of their homes and forced to seek a fresh start in less affected areas.

Prosperity amidst Adversity

The great volcanic eruptions had the side-effect of revealing previously undiscovered mineral deposits, and even through a new civil war, Argentina was quick to seize them and begin their exploitation. Once the ash clouds dispersed, new and old Patagonian riches served to bring wealth to the nation, put an end to internal strife and usher a period of unprecedented affluence. The country and especially Buenos Aires grew, fed by the immigration of not only refugees and expatriates, but also opulent investors and discerning entrepreneurs from around the world. By the eve of the twenty-third century, the Buenos Aires Metroplex would become an economic powerhouse like few on the planet. The megacity would sprawl to encompass formerly separate urban areas such as Rosario and even Montevideo, across the Río de la Plata yet connected via high-speed rail bridges and underwater tunnels. Though at an impressive rate, Argentina flourished in the shadow of Brasilia, an expanded and reformed Brazil turned giant of the region. When the time came and cooperation made sense, an alliance was made in the form of the Organization of South American States.

A United South

For a time, it was good. Though Brasilia's influence made it the defacto leader of the OSAS, for years its constituent members retained their individual sovereignty and control over their internal affairs. The region enjoyed reinvigorated trade, peace and unity. However, as newer, honed incarnations of the "O Caridade" doctrine projected Brasilia's power across the globe, it began to demand more and more from its South American allies to support its operations. Buenos Aires contributed with its remarkable soldiers, among the finest in Brasilia's ranks, at first doing so freely and later being required to. As Brasilia's veritable empire spread its resources thin, it began to use its influence in increasingly heavy-handed ways to procure more, aiming to exert unreasonable degrees of control over partners who were supposed to be its equals. Under threat of overpowering military might and industrial superiority, the nations of the region repeatedly submitted with gritted teeth. For a time.

Operation Southern Lance

Relations between Brasilia and the rest of the OSAS nations were already strained around the time of the Seeding. The demands reached their harshest point as the superpower took it upon itself to be the first to complete the monumental undertaking. Critical mass was reached not long after the launch of Seeding One, when Argentina set in motion events planned in utmost secrecy: with the forming of the Nuevos Aires Coalition, Buenos Aires and regional allies openly challenged the Brasilian hegemony and immediately seceded from the Organization of South American States. What followed was a war of liberation characterized as order within chaos: the secession had suddenly divested Brasilia of much of the southern regions, and Brasilian military units with a majority of Coalition-aligned servicemen defected, sending the giant's armed forces into near-complete disarray. In this context of absolute strategic superiority, the bulk of Nuevos Aires' carefully assembled forces launched what was called "Operación Lanza del Sur", or Operation Southern Lance. Its primary objective: to penetrate deep into Brasilia's southern industrial heartland, seize or cripple critical complexes, and with them, the superpower's war-making capacity.

Libertad

Deprived of the Lion, their greatest general, and some of their best command cadres, the disorganized Brasilians suffered major defeats in their own core territory as the Southern Lance drove through Paraná and into São Paulo and Minas Gerais. By the time the enemy had managed to rally and present some form of defense, Coalition trucks and airlifters were already transporting all kinds of precious equipment and starship parts out of captured aerospace industries and back to allied territories. Peru, the northernmost country at least nominally committed to the Nuevos Aires Coalition, was chosen to erect the required launch sites to begin putting into orbit the shuttles expeditiously assembled and ferried there. Said spacecraft carried the components and later the staff and colonists which would populate and crew the Coalition's first seedship, the Libertad. Brasilia's opposition began to stiffen eventually, but too late to stop those brave pioneers which had already darted into the void.

Lore: Mauricio Valente
Spoiler :
Origins

Born to an economist mother and a military father stationed in Córdoba, Argentina, Mauricio Valente displayed a remarkable intellect from an early age, but had to suffer through one of the last great eruptions of the Andean volcanoes. Exposure to the sandy ash as a young child scarred his lungs, leaving him with a chronic respiratory condition he'd carry well into adulthood. His affliction prevented him from getting into sports and many outdoor activities, but he developed a taste for cerebral entertainment, anything from literature to film and gaming. Lessons learned from his hobbies and his upbringing would cultivate a cunning, strategic mind with a knack for leadership. His parents spared no expense in their son's education, and sent him to the prestigious academic world of Franco-Iberia, across the Atlantic, where he would study economics and sociology, and graduate with honors.

Going Corporate

Mauricio received offers from many American, European and Asian companies, but he selected one with global reach and a presence in Argentina. In the employ of the Multilever Corporation, he returned not to Córdoba, but to the glittering spires of Buenos Aires' financial sector. His proactive, perfectionist mentality had him quickly progress up the ladder, and as an accomplished executive, he moved on to the homegrown Delsanto Group, to occupy a high-ranking position and become an invaluable asset. Dealing with the deployment of the company's private forces required him to undergo military command training, knowledge Valente picked up naturally and endeavored to make the most of to enhance his qualities as a leader of men and a master strategist in both business and warfare. Thanks in no small part to Valente's superlative management across the board, Delsanto would become a leader in the competitive corporate stage of developed South America and beyond.

Director

Valente made his incursion into politics shortly before the Seeding, his entry facilitated by his popularity in the business world. The administration of the time integrated him into the cabinet as Minister of Defense. Under his direction, the Ministry would play a key role in skillfully counteracting the Brasilian interventionist policies. When proper diplomatic channels became insufficient and conflict seemed inevitable, his prominent influence allowed him to contribute greatly towards the formation of the Nuevos Aires Coalition. When the corporatocratic leadership of the Coalition was organized, he joined the multinational board of directors as a one of the military-oriented Director-Generals. He would come to be one of the primary architects of Operation Southern Lance, the carefully orchestrated maneuver to catch Brasilia by surprise and strike deep into its industrial heart.

Starfarer

But Operation Southern Lance had a dual goal. It was not only the opening move of a full-blown military campaign: it was also a means for the Coalition to procure equipment and starship components to carry out a Seeding effort of its own, seeing how core Brasilians were being prioritized in the colonist selections. The Libertad Mission, as it was called, intended to carry people from the countries committed to Nuevos Aires. Mauricio Valente volunteered to lead the expedition and received unanimous support from the rest of the board, deemed the best choice due to his commanding personality and masterful management skills. After launching from Peru and boarding the Libertad, constantly threatened by Brasilian orbital assets, Valente and ten thousand other intrepid souls departed for the stars.

Attachments

• 2014-11-29_00002.jpg
    2014-11-29_00002.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 630
  • 2014-11-29_00007.jpg
    2014-11-29_00007.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 571
  • 2014-10-31_00001.jpg
    2014-10-31_00001.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 542
  • 2015-10-14_00006.jpg
    2015-10-14_00006.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 448
  • 2015-10-14_00003.jpg
    2015-10-14_00003.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 447
  • 2015-10-21_00001.jpg
    2015-10-21_00001.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 535
  • 2015-10-21_00002.jpg
    2015-10-21_00002.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:
Update released!

Version 2 (Alpha):

- Added leader art by Jetticus (TPangolin) with single variations for each Affinity.
- Added diplomacy text.
- Reduced the Strategic Resources bonus to +25% (was 33%).

This is a great sponsor mod - I love the colours and the flavour of it. I even had Nuevos Aires spawn near Brasilia in my recent game, and they totally shredded Rejinaldo. Talk about vengeance for what happened on Earth.

This is a great sponsor mod - I love the colours and the flavour of it. I even had Nuevos Aires spawn near Brasilia in my recent game, and they totally shredded Rejinaldo. Talk about vengeance for what happened on Earth.
Thank you for your kind words! Make sure you have the latest version, which gives a proper image to Director-General Valente, courtesy of TPangolin, and real diplomacy text. :)

This is nice. With the reduction the mod might certainly be more balanced. Good job, I love the "Nuevos Aires" name too :D

This is nice. With the reduction the mod might certainly be more balanced. Good job, I love the "Nuevos Aires" name too :D
Thanks! I've had that name in my head for a while, and always wanted to use it to portray some kind of futuristic Buenos Aires.

By the way, a little trivia: the logo of the Nuevos Aires Coalition's is inspired by, and a stylized version of the old coat of arms of Buenos Aires. :)

Heh, now that's a clever name!

I expected a more Eternauta-ish look, but that's just me being nostalgic, great job! We certainly needed a faction representing spanish speaking South America.

Heh, now that's a clever name!

I expected a more Eternauta-ish look, but that's just me being nostalgic, great job! We certainly needed a faction representing spanish speaking South America.
Thanks! I have to confess I haven't fully read El Eternauta, so all my image of it is the guy in the scuba suit. A bit too retro for me, for CivBE purposes. :p

Anyway, a second update is out!

Version 3 (Beta):

- Polished Valente's Civilopedia portrait.
- Added five excerpts for the loading screens.

There's a remake that makes him look less retroy:
Spoiler :

It still doesn't quite look like a Spacesuit, but it'd still be believable as the suit one of your colonists would use, after a "Great Mistake".

Glad to see I'm not the only one who has read the Eternauta... :crazyeye:

There's a remake that makes him look less retroy:
Spoiler :

It still doesn't quite look like a Spacesuit, but it'd still be believable as the suit one of your colonists would use, after a "Great Mistake".

Glad to see I'm not the only one who has read the Eternauta... :crazyeye:
Still rather post-apocalyptic and not really viable as a spacesuit. :p

Version 3 (Beta) Hotfix A:

- Fixed localisation article thing.
- Allowed previous version savegames to be loaded.

Another hotfix...

Version 3 (Beta) Hotfix B:

- Tweaked savegame compatibility further.

Major update released! As of Version 4, the mod is fully featured, with extensive Civilopedia entries for both the Nuevos Aires Coalition and Mauricio Valente, in addition to revised and expanded affinity appearances.

Enjoy!

Positive ratings welcome, of course. ;)

Version 4 (Stable):

- Fixed some outstanding issues with the sponsor logo.
- Added Civilopedia sponsor and leader lore.
- Added new early affinity variations for Valente, based on TPangolin's work.
- Added new late affinity variations for Valente.

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnng​

Lovely, no American Top Purity variation should lack those shoulders.

Thanks!

The sideburns and the epaulets were TP's idea, which I preserved from the level 2 variations he originally made: I tweaked them slightly before moving on to make the level 3s myself. Purity's also my favourite, due to the hybrid traditional-futuristic Sanmartinian look, but I like how the deader cyborg Supremacy variant turned out as well (including the cold, mechanical fix for Valente's respiratory condition :D). I'm also happy with the final Harmony appearance, which I tried to give a more naturalist look to. The cloak also comes off a bit like a poncho, which is a nice South American touch to boot. :)

Now that you mention it, it'd be funny if he started looking Gaucho-y when going Harmony...

Space Western! Now with more asado.

Update released! Nuevos Aires is now compatible with the Rising Tide expansion. :D

One of the very first sponsor mods to be updated, in fact.

We're back in beta while the mod's new stuff is more extensively tested, and I ponder what else to add. Proper communiques would be one thing, for the next, near future update.

Version 5 (Beta):

- First Rising Tide release.
- Changed sponsor trait to suit the incremental RT style.
- Added agreements: Xeno Tourism Initative, Corporate Special Forces
- First pass of diplomacy text.

Nice Lord Shadow, I'll give them a shot next game.

Did they ever fix the bug requiring leader screens be set to minimum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom