The creative thread

dbkblk

Emperor
There are other ways than code to contribute to the mod. In this specific thread, i would like to gather some contributions that could be used to embellish the mod.

If someone have some artistic talent, or even a bribe, or some creative thoughts, could one take a look at this TODO list (sorted by easiest to most difficult):
  • Post some screenshots that you think are representative of the mod
  • Create a prettier background image for the launcher (dimm 600x280, found in the "mod folder/checker/and2_background.jpg")
  • Create a representative background for the loading screen (which still shows beyond the sword, found in "Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Assets/Art/Interface/Screens/Loading").
  • Create a new main menu animation (hard one)

EDIT:
Screenshots themes wanted:
  • Revolutions
  • Advanced Diplomacy
  • Brand new AI (hard one ;))
  • Brand new graphics
  • Adaptative difficulty (hard one as well)
  • Fully customizable interface
  • Expanded Cities, Multiple Production & Multiple Research
  • Translated in several languages
  • Many other improvements (one of your choice)

However I like pretty much the main menu animation (I mean the globe).
I have to admit this is a wonderful animation (with a great music). I just think the way the text is written can be enhanced. That's just modifying two dds files.

I work on a presentation website which goal is to summarize all the new features, the installation process and the frequently asked question. It has to be clean, clear, efficient for unskilled players and easy to use! This website is supposed to attract new players or to make one want to play our mod again!

Currently, this is just a unfinished showcase (full of mistakes), but i'm currently compiling all the different informations (and changelog) into one clear source. Technically, it uses Jekyll. This is a website engine which uses a really simple writing method and then compiles the site statically (no database, whatever, just simple things).

Texts are certainly going to be improved in the future, but it could be used as a base.

The preview has been pushed on our server.

I need some help to get some in-game screenshots / illustrations on each of these themes:
  • Revolutions
  • Advanced Diplomacy
  • Brand new AI (hard one ;))
  • Brand new graphics
  • Adaptative difficulty (hard one as well)
  • Fully customizable interface
  • Expanded Cities, Multiple Production & Multiple Research
  • Translated in several languages
  • Many other improvements (one of your choice)

Here's an artwork update. Could you tell me what you think about it ?
Link.
(just unzip in mod folder, it will be removed on next update anyway)

It contains new:
  • Main menu
  • Loading background
  • Launcher background

I'm quite happy with the reworked main menu as it is refreshing (*spoiler* a new point of view ;) *spoiler*) and it gives the mod a more personal touch.

Here's an artwork update. Could you tell me what you think about it ?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5501sennyu32r17/art_update_rev870.zip?dl=0
(just unzip in mod folder, it will be removed on next update anyway)

It contains new:
  • Main menu
  • Loading background
  • Launcher background

I'm quite happy with the reworked main menu as it is refreshing (*spoiler* a new point of view ;) *spoiler*) and it gives the mod a more personal touch.

I haven't tried it yet but I would NOT drop the name "Rise of Mankind"; first because that's where we're coming from; second because there's already another mod called "A New Dawn".

Ok. I'll update it consequently.

v2 of the new artwork:
- Main menu: Slower earth movement for a better feel of emptiness. Rewritten title with "Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn"
- Loading screen: Smaller logo. Full text.
- Launcher backgrounds: Only two backgrounds (to rename manually). Full text.

Link.

v3 of the new artwork:
- Main menu: Allow to use the old menu as "Civilization IV" in the options. I may remove the "Rom: AnD" title from the original to have exactly the original title.
- Random loading screen switch: New code in the DLL to randomly switch between 5 backgrounds. 5 loading screens included.

Link.

v4 of the new artwork:
- Main menu: Fixed the small glitch before the earth appears.

Link.

Sample:

Just noticed this thread. So does the main menu now cycle through background images?

It's not yet released but you can try the latest link (just before your post). I will upload changes in the next revision but i want to finish my work on unicode support first. I still need to debug some BUG windows and figure out how to bypass city billboard rendering (which is really the last problem preventing full pseudo-unicode support (we didn't found how to support asian yet)).

I'll decrease the number of stars in the next version. However, did you actually tried the animation or your comment is only based on the image ? Because the animation makes the color to change. I think the rendering of the logo could be improved however. It is not easy to read in some circumstances.

I'd say make the background less busy (fewer stars) and cut out the WordArt-esque shadowing the RoM: AND text. WordArt is for people who don't know better. :mischief:

Spoiler :
I work in layout and design. What do you expect? :)

I'd say make the background less busy (fewer stars) and cut out the WordArt-esque shadowing the RoM: AND text. WordArt is for people who don't know better. :mischief:

Spoiler :
I work in layout and design. What do you expect? :)
Totally agree. Also if possible, but I have no clue on how to do it, I would make intervals between rising of earth a bit longer.

Ok. The text is done with Gimp, not WordArt, but it's quite easy to remove the poor shadow effect. I'll try to use a less busy background and will increase the intervals between the earth appearances (it's quite easy also).

Would it be possible to center the version number on the startup screen a bit? it is always hidden in the upper right corner off the screen. Thanks.

Do you mean in the launcher screen ? I can set it to 3/4 right upper if that's easier to read.

any other place would probably work just fine. As it is now it disappears off the screen with most resolutions. Larger size and duration would also be appreciated. Thanks

Is the main menu even supposed to show the version number? I only see "Rise of mankind - A new dawn" in the upper right corner.

Top Bottom