Religion Expansion

Leoreth

Blue Period
I think we should continue the discussion of adding new religions to the mod in a separate thread.

The way I see it, there are two prime arguments for the inclusion of further religions:
- to provide an obstacle and a realistic alternative to the spread of existing religions in specific regions and for specific civilizations
- to allow civilizations that do not get or only later get an existing religion to interact with the religion mechanic

I want to be careful here, because I disagree that every native ethnic religion of every civilization needs to be represented as a religion in game terms (some suggestions were made that went in that direction). For the time being, I found most of those adequately represented by either Animism + no state religion and the Pantheon civic. However, in many situations that presents us with the problems listed above.

Most of the new religions fall into the category of ethnic religions, in that they were mostly practiced by one or two civilizations. I'm going to include arguments for their inclusion in each case.

Olympianism, Pesedjet, Annunaki: Greece, Egypt and Babylonia respectively. Olympianism is special in that it was also practiced in Rome. They're worth including to better delineate cultural spheres in the ancient Mediterranean and a better distribution of ancient wonders. Together they also make the Pantheon civic mostly unnecessary, and make strategies for other civs that rely on these wonders mostly impossible.

Shinto: Ethnic religion in Japan, more accurate than Buddhist state religion Japan. Would also create a more interesting interaction with Buddhism and Christianity in Japan (not that Christianity currently spreads there, but it's a future possibility).

Tengrism: Ethnic religion of both Turkic and Mongol ethnic groups. Currently the Mongols are the only ingame civ to whom this religion would apply, but there are long term plans to include other Central Asian civs that would benefit from its inclusion, such as the Turks or Uzbeks.

Teotl and Inti: Ethnic religions for the Aztecs and Inca, considering their similar beliefs Teotl could apply to the Maya as well. Worth including for their wonders and to provide an obstacle for the spread of Christianity, especially in association with the Aztec UHV.

(Note: please let us not argue about names and labels again in this thread, these are things that can be easily changed once everything else is decided. I'm aware that for instance Inti is only the name of the supreme Inca god, but for lack of better alternatives that I'm aware of I still prefer it to clunky descriptive terms like "Inca Mythology".)

You could argue that Zoroastrianism, Confucianism, Taoism and Hinduism also constitute ethnic religions that are closely associated with the civilizations that originated them. However, considering the influence of Hinduism in Indochina and Indonesia, and the influence of Confucianism in East Asia, I'd say only Zoroastrianism and Taoism should be regarded as the ethnic religions of Persia and China.

Then we have religions never adopted as state religion by any civilization in the game. I will label these "minority religions":

Judaism: Worth including both for its role in the origins of Islam and Christianity, as well as the historical role of Jewish minorities in Europe and the Middle East

Sikhism and Jainism: Minority religions in India, might be interesting for a new Indian UHV goal. Sikhism already has a wonder associated with it, and is in general very interesting because it differs in many ways from the other religions.

Lastly, there have been proposals of expanding on the existing religions:

Christianity: this religion could exist as a pre-schism version of Christianity that ceases to exist as soon as Catholicism and Orthodoxy emerge. This would avoid the awkwardness of choosing either Catholicism or Orthodoxy to represent early Christianity.

Shia Islam: along with a relabeling of Islam to Sunni Islam, introducing this Muslim sect would provide additional religious diversity to the late Middle East and create some political tension, especially in the context of Iran.

All in all, I find these categories much more helpful than talking about "minor religions". Before we can talk about how these new religions could differ from existing "major" religions, let us examine what these religions offer in terms of game play:
  • +1 happiness in cities
  • +1 culture in cities
  • diplomatic bonus with civs of the same state religion
  • diplomatic malus with civs of a different state religion
  • access to Temple, Monastery, Cathedral
  • access to Missionaries
  • holy city + access to Shrine
  • access to wonders

In my opinion, ethnic religions should mostly offer the same benefits you could currently get from civics and buildings without a state religion. Therefore, I think they should work like this:
  • NO extra state religion happiness
  • +1 culture in cities
  • no common diplomatic bonus
  • only access to Temple + special building
  • NO missionaries
  • holy city, but no shrines
  • access to wonders

The "special building" would be equivalent to monasteries, but provide a bonus that is unique to the religion and become available and obsolete in different ways. In the long term, I want to completely move away from monasteries and give every religion their own unique building (monasteries becoming the unique building for Christian religions).

Ethnic religions would make up for the lack of missionaries by faster state religion spread inside their own borders.

As I said above, I could imagine that the same rules also apply to Zoroastrianism and Taoism.

Minority religions would mostly behave like ethnic religions, except that they cannot be adopted as a state religion, but instead can have a shrine.

Religion founding is another issue. Assuming all of these religions are included, there simply aren't enough techs to have a unique tech for each of them, and it will become next to impossible to arrange things in such a way that the "right" civs found the "right" religions in most games. Especially for ethnic religions such a situation would be highly unrealistic.

Instead, I'd constrain some religions not only to techs, but also geographical location. So the first civilization that discovers the tech for a religion with a city in the specified region would find it. I think in most cases, Polytheism is the right tech for most ethnic religions:

Hinduism: Polytheism + India
Zoroastrianism: Monotheism + Persia
Taoism: Literature + China

Annunaki: Polytheism + Mesopotamia
Pesedjet: Polytheism + Egypt
Olympianism: Polytheism + Greece

Shinto: Polytheism + Japan
Tengrism: Horseback Riding + Central Asia

Teotl: Polytheism + Central America
Inti: Polytheism + South America

For other civilizations, it is often nonsensical to spawn them without having a predecessor that it has branched off of. This mechanic is currently already utilized for Buddhism, Orthodoxy and Protestantism. The condition that can trigger such a "schism" could be potentially anything, and does not have to be a technology. For instance:

Judaism -> Christianity (Theology)

Christianity -> Catholicism
Christianity -> Orthodoxy
Catholicism -> Protestantism (Printing Press)

Taoism -> Confucianism (Code of Laws)

Hinduism -> Buddhism

Sunni Islam -> Shia Islam

That's it for the moment, more discussion is welcome.

(I know I've talked about religious "civics", special abilities and faith points in the other thread, but let's not pay too much attention to that until the basics are clear.)

Bravo! :clap::clap::clap:

I love all parts of it, but I'll still add a suggestion :). Let minority religions be state religions if the player (or rarely the AI) so desires since it could give extra strategies and gameplay options. Granted, most of the following are in-game civs, but there are some historical precedents for these religions as state religions:
- Judaism was obviously the official religion of ancient and modern Israel but also the Khazar empire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khazars)
- Some Chinese emperors followed Taoism instead of Confucianism (http://taoism21cen.com/Englishchat/essay5.html)
- The Sikhs were independent and had an Empire of their own (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikh_Empire)
- And Jainism was the official religion of the Kalinga Empire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalinga_(India))

All sounds fantastic, though, I'll be looking forward to the updates :)

Great ideas, especially the founding of religions. Although I will miss the option to do crazy things like founding Taoism or Confuzianism with Egypt or founding Christianism with China.

Great ideas, especially the founding of religions. Although I will miss the option to do crazy things like founding Taoism or Confuzianism with Egypt or founding Christianism with China.
That's a good point, I'd love to find a solution that is somewhat in the middle ground between the proposed system and what we have now.

That's a good point, I'd love to find a solution that is somewhat in the middle ground between the proposed system and what we have now.

If you want to found Christianity as China, all you would need to do is conquer Jerusalem (or otherwise end up with Judaism in one of your cities) in time to research Theology. Very unlikely for the AI, but definitely possible for a human player determined to game the system.

I would have thought Judaism and Hinduism should be automatically founded in Jerusalem and Varanasi(?) respectively. Christianity(x3), Islam(x2), Buddhism, Sikhism and Jainism will all be geographically grounded in the spread of these two key religions and contingent on techs/buildings/other religions etc.

Shinto: Polytheism + Japan

Here how about when a Japanese city has both Confu and Budd religion? I would argue Shinto is pretty much mixture of Japanese folk religion, Confu and Budd religions. It would also make founding of Shinto more random.

Would it also be possible to represent Christian heresies and other minor Middle-East religions (not only Judaism)?

So, basically, the only civs without a religion are Phoenicia and Polynesia.

I'd argue that Phoenicia would get Annunaki from Babylon, but yes, it does appear that Polynesia is in their own (but as they're human only, it doesn't affect the mod as much as the others)

Phoenicia could do with Annunaki (not super accurate, but good enough). Polynesia would still be out of the system, unfortunately :/

As for the founding system, I support the idea of "derived" religions, where Christianity will only pop up in a Jewish city; Confucianism only in a Taoist city, and so on. A point here, though:
- Christianity could've just as well been developed out of Hellenism and Zoroastrianism (so perhaps it should be founded in a city having 2 of the 3?)
- Judaism came from Annunaki (the cannanite/phoenician "version" of it, anyway);
- Sikhism was influenced both by Islam and Hinduism, so it could be founded in a city having both
- Shinto predates the spread of Confucianism and Taoism into Japan, it should be there from the start.

I also think that the player should be able to do the alternative history thing where Egypt founds Taoism and go with that.

-Fair enough about the naming convention for now.

-Phoenicia needs to have its own Canaanite religion.
Its gods and mythology are completely distinct from the Annunaki.

-Though the foundations of Shinto were there in Japan long before the arrival of Taoism,
the key difference for the game would be that they were not organized and structured
until the arrival of influences such as Taoism & Confucianism.

-Judaism's primary influence comes from Zoroastrianism.
The elements from the Canaanite religion and the Annunaki are less noteworthy in comparison to the concepts Zoroastrianism lent (good vs. evil, heaven and hell, angels, etc.), which are foundational to Judaism.

Good ideas Leoreth, here are some thoughts.

Shinto: Ethnic religion in Japan, more accurate than Buddhist state religion Japan. Would also create a more interesting interaction with Buddhism and Christianity in Japan (not that Christianity currently spreads there, but it's a future possibility).

I wouldn't worry about accuracy; as far as the state was concerned, there was no real separation of Shinto from Buddhism until the modern era, and Buddhism was favoured by the government at times. If you ask me, I would consider it a fascinating case of a mix of ethnic cultural expression, animist polytheism, and organised official cult of personality. So is it a religion in the Civ sense? It's a judgement.

Teotl and Inti: Ethnic religions for the Aztecs and Inca, considering their similar beliefs Teotl could apply to the Maya as well. Worth including for their wonders and to provide an obstacle for the spread of Christianity, especially in association with the Aztec UHV.

Does AI Spain or whoever know to send missionaries by sea to Peru? But I think this is of more merit than including, say, the Mediterranean polytheism.

If we're going to play with these (and particularly Tengri), we will need the traditional religions to spread more easily to already-religious cities than at present.

Minority religions would mostly behave like ethnic religions, except that they cannot be adopted as a state religion, but instead can have a shrine.

Is it necessary to restrict their adoption as a state religion?

Religion founding is another issue. Assuming all of these religions are included, there simply aren't enough techs to have a unique tech for each of them, and it will become next to impossible to arrange things in such a way that the "right" civs found the "right" religions in most games. Especially for ethnic religions such a situation would be highly unrealistic.

Instead, I'd constrain some religions not only to techs, but also geographical location. So the first civilization that discovers the tech for a religion with a city in the specified region would find it.

Yeah, this is a good idea for a general method. Of course, it's really deterministic, but not more so than the current method, in practice.

For other civilizations, it is often nonsensical to spawn them without having a predecessor that it has branched off of. This mechanic is currently already utilized for Buddhism, Orthodoxy and Protestantism. The condition that can trigger such a "schism" could be potentially anything, and does not have to be a technology.

Obviously, this is an awesome method and the unknown genius who invented it is a genius.

In general:
The polytheists shouldn't survive indefinitely. We will need a method whereby those religions disappear a bit more quickly than by persecution. Perhaps it should be:
State major religion + Spread of that major religion to city = Overwrite any ethnic religion
This way, civs that organise missionary efforts to the colonies can suppress the old gods while doing so. I think this is realistic. The Jesuits might have tolerated the old rites, but only to integrate them to global-Catholicism, not to propagate belief in other devils and fairies.
But this way, civs that themselves embrace a major world religion would abandon them too. If you want Buddhist/Shinto/Christian Japan, you could forget this part and allow overwriting only foreign ethnic religions; but then the Roman Empire would have to train its own Persecutors, or let the Arians eventually sack the pagans of Rome.

Maybe there should be some other routes too. It should be possible to keep the Roman Empire worshipping the Emperor, Jupiter and Sol Invictus, but it should also be unlikely to persist if anyone but the Roman Empire is in charge. On the other hand, Shinto is so vague that even atheists still self-identify as practitioners.

The notion of a Greek/Roman colony without Greek/Roman gods is odd.

The Mongols may have been Tengri-aligned, but they ought to be as neutral towards religious questions as possible.

The Jains, of course, will have a harmless open palm...

Big question coming up... what should Jainism's holy symbol be?
I have no problem with the swastika, I think right now the question is more about if Jainism is worthy of inclusion at all. In my opinion it has the weakest case of all the religions mentioned in the OP.

Here how about when a Japanese city has both Confu and Budd religion? I would argue Shinto is pretty much mixture of Japanese folk religion, Confu and Budd religions. It would also make founding of Shinto more random.
Shinto existed before the spread of Buddhism to Japan and I think that should be reflected. Making its spread conditional on a Chinese religion is possible, but considering Japan's spawn date that has already happened anyway. With the proposed setup Japan would spawn with Shinto and that is how it should turn out anyway, so it's kind of moot to discuss details of the conditions behind it.

Would it also be possible to represent Christian heresies and other minor Middle-East religions (not only Judaism)?
I don't think so. Gnostic Christianity and Arianism are just not important enough for the time scale of the mod, and I think the Church of the East is represented by Orthodoxy.

As for the founding system, I support the idea of "derived" religions, where Christianity will only pop up in a Jewish city; Confucianism only in a Taoist city, and so on. A point here, though:
- Christianity could've just as well been developed out of Hellenism and Zoroastrianism (so perhaps it should be founded in a city having 2 of the 3?)
- Judaism came from Annunaki (the cannanite/phoenician "version" of it, anyway);
- Sikhism was influenced both by Islam and Hinduism, so it could be founded in a city having both
- Shinto predates the spread of Confucianism and Taoism into Japan, it should be there from the start.
Yeah, the problem with Judaism and Christianity is that it would be most accurate to found them in independent cities, which is problematic if religions are conditioned to technologies. Not sure how to handle this.

I agree about Sikhism and Shinto.

I also think that the player should be able to do the alternative history thing where Egypt founds Taoism and go with that.
Me too, but I'm not sure about how to design the rules so that this would remain a possibility while the historical outcome is still most likely.

-Phoenicia needs to have its own Canaanite religion.
Its gods and mythology are completely distinct from the Annunaki.
Yes, I have left out Phoenicia completely for now because I don't know how to handle it. If they have their own religion, it might make sense to condition Judaism on it.

-Though the foundations of Shinto were there in Japan long before the arrival of Taoism,
the key difference for the game would be that they were not organized and structured
until the arrival of influences such as Taoism & Confucianism.
Okay, but considering how late Japan spawns, I don't think it makes that much of a difference.

-Judaism's primary influence comes from Zoroastrianism.
The elements from the Canaanite religion and the Annunaki are less noteworthy in comparison to the concepts Zoroastrianism lent (good vs. evil, heaven and hell, angels, etc.), which are foundational to Judaism.
That's true. Maybe Judaism should be founded in the first city with both Zoroastrianism and Canaanite religion?

I wouldn't worry about accuracy; as far as the state was concerned, there was no real separation of Shinto from Buddhism until the modern era, and Buddhism was favoured by the government at times. If you ask me, I would consider it a fascinating case of a mix of ethnic cultural expression, animist polytheism, and organised official cult of personality. So is it a religion in the Civ sense? It's a judgement.
Yeah, as with all East Asian religion this is hard to deal with because of the degree of syncretism. I think the question of whether Shinto is a religion comes down to whether it would be more accurate if it wasn't, which is a no in my opinion. I agree that Buddhism was favored by the government at some point (early Sengoku period if I'm not mistaken), but the fact that this was a hot question in Japanese history just supports the idea that there needs to be an alternative religion and Buddhist Japan is not an accurate representation.

Does AI Spain or whoever know to send missionaries by sea to Peru? But I think this is of more merit than including, say, the Mediterranean polytheism.
Not sure how good the AI is with this (although I have more faith in it ferrying missionaries than invasion troops), but in any case that could be partially addressed with missionaries among the spawned conquerors, so that there are cities in the Americas from which further missionaries may be trained.

If we're going to play with these (and particularly Tengri), we will need the traditional religions to spread more easily to already-religious cities than at present.
Yes, definitely. I won't add any religions before doing something with the religion spread rules, so I can adapt them to these circumstances as necessary.

Is it necessary to restrict their adoption as a state religion?
Good question, it might not be if their spread rate is historically accurate. This rule was mainly motivated by the observation that no civ in the game has ever adopted these religions.

Yeah, this is a good idea for a general method. Of course, it's really deterministic, but not more so than the current method, in practice.
Yeah, although I still wish there was a loophole in case you're really good. Maybe with Great Prophets?

Obviously, this is an awesome method and the unknown genius who invented it is a genius.
I agree. I wish we could find out who that was.

In general:
The polytheists shouldn't survive indefinitely. We will need a method whereby those religions disappear a bit more quickly than by persecution. Perhaps it should be:
State major religion + Spread of that major religion to city = Overwrite any ethnic religion
This way, civs that organise missionary efforts to the colonies can suppress the old gods while doing so. I think this is realistic. The Jesuits might have tolerated the old rites, but only to integrate them to global-Catholicism, not to propagate belief in other devils and fairies.
But this way, civs that themselves embrace a major world religion would abandon them too. If you want Buddhist/Shinto/Christian Japan, you could forget this part and allow overwriting only foreign ethnic religions; but then the Roman Empire would have to train its own Persecutors, or let the Arians eventually sack the pagans of Rome.
Yes, I had something like this in mind. This will probably work better with the revised spread rules than with the religion spread system that currently exists.

Maybe there should be some other routes too. It should be possible to keep the Roman Empire worshipping the Emperor, Jupiter and Sol Invictus, but it should also be unlikely to persist if anyone but the Roman Empire is in charge. On the other hand, Shinto is so vague that even atheists still self-identify as practitioners.

The notion of a Greek/Roman colony without Greek/Roman gods is odd.

The Mongols may have been Tengri-aligned, but they ought to be as neutral towards religious questions as possible.

The Jains, of course, will have a harmless open palm...
Yeah, but I have no idea how to cast this into rules. I think historically the fact that Roman Polytheism was displaced by Christianity while Shinto remained when faced with Buddhism has more to do with Christianity and Buddhism than with Roman Polytheism and Shinto.

Yeah, although I still wish there was a loophole in case you're really good. Maybe with Great Prophets?

That's it! Make it that a player can found any religion with a great prophet, but don't give this ability to the AI. Just add tech requirements (or something) so that Islam won't be founded by players in 2500 BC.

Sorry for double posting, I just thought this. A fourth native religion (Jainism) would make sense in a larger India - so it would go well with the South Asia map changes we were discussing elsewhere.

I'm not sure I like the region-lock technology - too restrictive. I say everything has to have a root religion, and then the first person with a city with that religion to research that tech gets it. This is still human abusable (rampage into somewhere else, spread with missionaries then get the tech) but left to the AI it will almost certainly fall correctly. I like the great prophet idea, too.

About adopting a minor religion as state religion: I think it should be allowed if some threshold for spreading it to your cities has been reached. Something like if 80 or 90+% of your cities have it, it can be adopted. Judaism and Sikhism were/are intricately linked with the ideas of the states that adopted them as state/main religion, that is, the religion made/makes up a huge part of what it meant to be a member of that society.

Top Bottom