Rome Led by Scipio Africanus

LeeS

Imperator
Rome Led by Scipio Africanus

Spoiler :

• This is a mod that adds a Republican Era version of Rome with Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus as its leader. It is focused therefore on representing the Republican Era of Rome (with all its glories and strangenesses), instead of the Imperial or Near-Imperial Era as all previous editions of Sid Meier's Civilization have done.
  • Scipio's Rome and Augustus' Rome can be run in the same game at the same time.
  • The mod is User-Configurable to a certain degree. Please see the 1st topic in Post #3 for more details on this.

Spoiler :

A Note about Screencaps
  • Quite a few of the screencaps were taken as part of the original release of the mod. Substantial rebalancing has been done in the 'Re-Release' version of the mod, mostly to de-OP the effects of the mod's Proconsuls. I have not however had oppostunity to remake screencaps, so those shown are still from the mod's original version (which tended to have higher values for all the Proconsul abilities).

General Notes
  1. The mod is an Alternate for the standard Roman Civilization
  2. The mod makes Scipio's Republican Rome only fully playable for the Human player because making the AI able to understand the new mechanics introduced would be nigh on to impossible. When being used by an AI, Scipio's Rome does not use the Proconsul Promotions or Governorship systems since no AI would ever be able to understand the system and use it properly.
  3. The new leader's name In-Game is Scipio Africanus.

Spoiler :
  4. Scipio's Trait is called Res Publica
  5. Note that while in this mod description I have used Scipio's Rome in most places, in-game you will simply see "Rome" or "Roman" and not "Scipio's Rome" or "Roman Scipian" etc.

Mod Play Requirements
  1. You must have BNW to use this mod
  2. You must have all the DLC for BNW to use this mod

Thematic Ideas of the Mod
  1. I wanted to build a mod that represented the Republican period of Rome, in all its glory and craziness. The first thing that occured to me was that Rome needed some method to represent the Elected Magisterial System used during the Republic, but to do so in a way that was active on the game-board rather than a theoretical method, like what has happened to Spies and Diplomats during the evolution of the various versions of Civilization.
  2. The best way to represent the Magistrates of Rome (at least as they affected the Empire outside the sacred boundaries of Rome the City) I thought would be through a Great Person, and the only Great Person that made any sense was the Great General.
  3. Rome's highest Magistrate was the Consul of the year. Even the Censors did not outrank the two Consuls of the Year. Rarely, however, did the Year's Consuls venture outside the city of Rome, and then only in the most dire need. Generally, when events were running according to the "expected practice", a man would serve as Consul for a year, and then go out to a province of Rome as a Proconsul, and either Govern the Province as a civil administrator, or as the Supreme Commander of a War involving Rome's enemies in or around the Province to which the Proconsul was appointed.
  4. So, Rome's Great General replacement the Proconsul can act as a Governor in a city, or as a Battlefield General in the normal way.

Uniques Units
  1. The Ballista is not available to Scipio's Rome
  2. Scipio's Rome keeps her Legions because a Rome without Legions is just....I have no words to describe how wrong such a notion seems to me.
  3. Scipio's Rome now has Proconsuls as a replacement for the standard Great General.

• Proconsuls are in essence the entire "Unique" for Scipio's Rome using this mod (apart from the fact that Scipio's Rome keeps her Legions).
    • Proconsuls are born with a small assortment of randomly-selected innate "talents", which are implimented via promotions. These talents can make them useful as governors of a single Roman city, or useful as generals on the battlefield, or both. They can also be spawned with talents that make them completetly innappropriate for use on the battlefield as "Great Generals", or as pretty bad govenors of a city, but never both of these two types of "badness" at the same time.
    • Proconsuls gain XP which can be used to select a small assortment of additional talents, or to enhance some of the talents they already have.
    • XP's are granted to Proconsuls both from their role as battlefield generals and their role as city governors.
    • Proconsuls are also spawned with one or more "character traits", which may make them even better on the battlefield or as city governors, but these character traits can never be enhanced to a greater level (ie, picking a promotion). Some character traits, however, are not so good.
    • Proconsuls have a one-time ability to found a new Roman city (unless they are spawned with one specific "character trait" that forbids it):
      • All the usual tile requirements for founding a city apply to where a Proconsul can found a new Roman city
      • However, the tile must also be in neutral territory. No land-grabbing is allowed.
      • The Proconsul must also be sharing the tile with a combat unit. The combat unit is consumed when the city is founded, and the Proconsul must spend a randomly-selected number of turns "Governing" the newly-founded city. Recon units cannot be used as the "sacrificial unit" for founding a city in this manner.
        • The combat unit is consumed when the city is founded, not the Proconsul
      • When all the conditions are met for using the Proconul in this way, a pushbutton will be available in the Proconsul's unit panel that looks like the one for the worker's "build camp" pushbutton. Click this pushbutton to found the new Roman City.
    • Proconsuls can use their "talents" to Govern a Roman city.
      • When in a Roman city, the Proconsuls unit panel will show an icon that looks like the worker's "Build Plantation" icon. I am using this Icon for the pushbutton to have a Proconsul "Govern" a Roman city.
      • When you use the pushbutton to have a Proconsul govern a Roman city, the effects of the Proconsul's "talents" are added to the city at once, and all remaining moves of the Proconsul are removed.
      • Further, when you elect to have a Proconsul govern a Roman city, the Proconsul will become inactive for a randomly-selected number of turns. During this period, you cannot move the Proconsul, nor do anything else with it.
      • A Proconsul that is governing a city cannot give his "extra" battlefield-general effects to nearby combat units. This goes both for the "good" enhancements as well as the "bad" enhancements the Proconsul might otherwise give to nearby combat units. The combat units will get the usual bonus for being near a Great General, however, since this in not anything I can mod-out.
      • Proconsuls that are governing a Roman city will gain XP from their period of "administration", but they will never gain any XP from nearby combat kills.
      • When a Proconsul's term of "Governorship" ends, and you get back control of him, you can choose to have him begin a new term in the same city, or simply put him to "sleep" in that city.
        • If you put him to "sleep" in the city, all his effects will be retained for that city, but no new ones that might otherwise be applied will be added to the city
        • If you choose to start a new Governorship, any new effects the Proconsul would give will be added. This is especially important for Proconsuls with the "administrator" line of talents, because there is a possibility every time they begin a Governorship in a city that a free building (or two or three) will be added to the city. The administrator line of talents are:
          • Level 1: The A1 - Quaestor Promotion (or the Savant Promotion)
          • Level 2: The A2 - Aedile Promotion
          • Level 3: The A3 - Praetor Promotion
        • If you choose to move the Proconsul to a different city, the effects he was giving in the previous city will be removed when you hit the NEXT TURN button.
    • Proconsuls cannot build citadels. Sorry, you won't be able to citadel-spam your way into enemy territory or otherwise culture-bomb territory using Proconsuls.
      • Okay, this really isn't true anymore. You can configure the mod to allow it now.
    • Proconsuls cannot be disbanded.
    • If a Proconsul is captured by Barbarians, the Proconsul will instantly be returned to the nearest valid city, and an exhorbinant Ransom will be extracted by force by the Barbarians from your treasury. You won't go bankrupt as a result of this part of the code, but you'll probably be gold-poor for the next ten (10) turns on Standard Game Speed. Whatever you do, do not let Barbarians capture your Proconsuls, even the "yucky" ones you may get during a game.

Getting An Assortment of Proconsuls: The Civil System for Spawning Proconsuls
  1. In addition to the usual methods by which Great Generals are acquired (Policy Choices, Combat Experience, etc.) there is a civil system added for spawning Proconsuls
  2. The Civil System runs independantly of and parallel to the usual game's mechanics for Spawning Great General units.
  3. The system applies only to Scipio's Rome and Proconsul units.
  4. The more population, happiness, etc., you have in your empire, the more likely you are to spawn a new proconsul under the Civil System
  5. The Civil System works on a points-based method, with each next Proconsul to be gained from the system requiring progressively more total points
  6. Points are not "zeroed-out" after each Proconsul is spawned. The threshold requirement for the next proconsul is increased:

# Previously created Totoal Points Benchmark
    0 400
    1 800
    2 1400
    3 2400
    4 3800
    5 5600
    6 7800
    7 10400
    8 13400
    9 16800
    10 20600
  7. Points are given for:

Item Point Value
    Empire Population 1 per
    Excess Happiness 2 per*
    Cities 3 per
    Policies Adopted 2 per
    Policy Branches Unlocked 2 per
    Policy Branches Completed 3 per
    World Wonders 3 per
    National Wonders 50 per**
    City-States Met 5 per
    Completed Guild Buildings 4 per
    "Normal" Buildings 1 per
    Great Persons Created 20 per
    Number Golden Ages 25 per
    Founding a Religion 200
    Per Tourism Point 4 per 1
    Cities Following the Roman Religion 2 per
    All Cities Following the Roman Religion 2 per city
    * negative happiness levels subtract points
    ** Palace does not count
    1 to a max of 360 points added from Tourism effect
  8. Golden Ages:
    • A large bump is made in the number of civil points during a Golden Age (it is 300 points for every Golden Age the player has had).
    • Proconsuls spawned during a Golden Age are always better, and never are spawned with the "icky" talents or character traits.
  9. Once a benchmark threshold is reached
    • A player notification will be made that spawning a Proconsul from the civil system is immanent. The message will be
      A Number of Candidates have declared themselves for the office of Consul. Hopefully a successful election will be held in Rome, and one of our current Consuls will be granted Imperium and sent out as a Proconsul of Rome to help govern our growing empire!
    • A a random dice-roll is made every turn to decide whether a Proconsul should be spawned. No notifications will be sent if this dice-roll fails until a certain trigger level of failed attempts is achieved, then you will begin to start recieving notifications with any one of five randomly-selected messages. These messages don't really mean anything except that the % likelihood to get a Proconsul was high that turn, but RNGoddess still did not smile on you.
  10. The Civil Spawning system will never spawn a Proconsul if the total number of Proconsuls already on the game-board is greater than or equal to the total number of cities under Rome's control. This "brake" on the spawning system will be applied regardless of how the Proconsuls were acquired: through the Civil Spawning system or through the usual game-mechanics for acquiring Great General units.

Credits
  1. I am using whoward69's plot iterator's lua
  2. I am using Machiavelli24's Serial Event Unit Created Good sytem
  3. I borrowed the basic diplo responses from one of JFD's mods and used that as a template to be sure I had all the required diplomacy responses the game would want to see. I've edited for Scipio, but some of the responses may still be the actual in-game text JFD used for his civ.
  4. Calcul8or made the icons for the Proconsul and for Scipio. He also made another icon for me that I was using for custom notifications.
  5. DarkScythe helped with some of the basic ideas of the Promotions/Talents systems, and I used his method for detecting which unit killed which other unit as a spring-board and starting-place for some of the lua functions I am using.
  6. Whoward69, ViceVuruoso, and BouncyMischa all have credit for the Proconsul's custom unit panel pushbuttons, though I am not sure who originally did how much of what code for that system.
  7. hope I haven't forgotten anyone else. I do try to keep track of who helped with what, and whose utility stuff I am using, but sometimes the old memory machine doesn't work as well as it used to.
  8. SnowyNix (Nix) made the original icon I am using for Scipio's Rome.
  9. Rob(R8XFT) turned Nix's basic Icon into a set of usable in-game Icons, and also made the leaderscene now being used for the mod. This leaderscene was borrowed partly from Civ4's Augustus, and is better than the one I originally had.
  10. Regalman made the RiseOfRome map
  11. Rob(R8XFT) provided the two Scipio "Decisions". He is using the same ones for Scipio within Anno Domini and very kindly passed them along to me.
  12. The icon I am using for custom Proconsul-related Notifications came originally from JFD's Cultural Diversity, but I am not sure if JFD did the icon or Janboruta, or someone else.
    Spoiler :
    It's all Rob's Fault! He stole it 1st for Anno Domini and I just seflfishly stole it innocently borrowed it from him.
  13. I borrowed two of JFD's Events from different of his mods, and then used them as templates for adapting to slightly different Scipio Events.

Mod Compatibility
  • I have removed the three roman generals from the stock game's list of Great Generals. You should not see Scipio, Marius, or Pompey running around the game-board as a Great General for another civ.
  • Mods that add new buildings, improvements, or units for Rome to use will not generally work because the civilization's designation is no longer CIVILIZATION_ROME
  • This mod is compatible with my Civilization-Appropriate Great Generals and Admirals Names mod.
  • The mod has compatiblity support for the following (some of these have changed names apparently since the last time I looked at them):
    1. JFD's Cultural Diversity
    2. JFD’s Piety
    3. JFD’s Sovereignty
    4. JFD's Exploration Continued Expanded
    5. Historical Religions Complete
    6. R.E.D. Modpack
    7. Ethnic Units
    8. Hazel's Map Labels
    9. Yet (not) Another Earth Map Pack
    10. Civ IV Leader Traits in Civ V
    11. JFD's and Pouakai's Mercenaries
    12. Events and Decisions = as of Scipio V19 now has two custom events and two custom decisions.
  • Should be compatible with Extended Eras Mod. I looked at the code for that mod and cannot see where there would be any conflicts.
  • Not compatible with EUI without some "band-aiding". See instructions on what needs to be done to EUI to remove the conflict. I will re-visit this band-aid solution again later to see if there is a more elegant solution available.
  • Other mods besides EUI which use a custom version of UnitPanel.lua to allow a new unit pushbutton will almost certainly clash with this mod.

Basic Changes in V17 to the Earlier Release Version of the Mod:
  1. Scipio's Rome no longer replaces Augustus' Rome. It is its own Rome.
  2. Scipio can be used as an AI player though I haven't had a real chance to see how well he performs as an AI.
  3. Proconsul's gain XP much more slowly and they occur less frequently from the "civil" system when it is allowed to spawn Proconsuls.
    • I jacked up the increment value between spawnings via the civil system, so the 1st from the civil system will occur fairly quickly but then the occurance should drop off steeply
  4. The effect of the various character traits and talents have been nerfed to be generally percentage-based with small (+1, +2, +3) hard yield-amount values rather than crazy yield amounts like +9 Food when Proconsul gets 'promoted up' the "Farmer" ability levels.
  5. You can now get bad Proconsuls at any point in the game, including as the 1st one
  6. I have made Scipio's Rome able to Rush Complete a National or World Wonder when a Great Engineer is in or adjacent to a Scipio's Rome city. This is to allow the fundamental ability of the GE in a city being governed by a Proconsul. This is more in line with how other Non-Great-General Great People act.
  7. Not being able to purchase civilian units in a city governed by a Proconsul, and not being able to 'hide' other civilian units from marauding barbarians, etc., in a city governed by a Proconsul is a design decision and has been retained. It is part and parcel of the make choices concept of the mod.
  8. The 'administrator' line of Proconsuls has been severely nerfed.
    • The effects for an 'administrator' remaining in the same city over a period of time do not create the crazy effects they were before.
    • You get the possible free buildings from the administrator's inherent ability, either when you use the Proconsul to found a city or when he begins a governorship
    • If the administrator stays in the same city over an extended period of time there are additional much smaller positive effects than in the previous version of the mod
    • If the administrator stays in the same city for long enough a 'Governor's Mansion' is added to the city. This is the same mechanic as in the prevous version of the mod, but I nerfed the effects of this building. Once this Governor's Mansion is added to the city the affects that have been accruing to that city from the long-term residence of the same governor become permanent but no more additional affects are added in that city.
    • The hidden extra affects from having an administrator in the same city over a long period of time have been severely nerfed and they are added far less frequently
    • Adminsitrator Proconsuls are still King of the City-Governors, they are just not as crazy OP as before.
  9. Proconsuls governing cities gain XP much more slowly than in the previous released version of the mod
  10. City Names are the same as the Augustus list except I changed the name of Scipio's Capital to Roma Eterna instead of "Rome" because the game abhors more than one city on the map with the same name. Scipio's Rome and Augustus' Rome will otherwise share and draw from the same city-name list, but this should not be too much of a problem given that Augustus' Rome has a pretty crazy long list of names.

Scipio's AI Set-Up:
  • Scipio can be used as an AI player. When he is used as an AI player his effects are:
    1. Land Combat Units near a Proconsul always get an additional 5% combat strength. This is on top of the effect a normal Great General gives.
    2. AI-Owned Proconsuls do not get the Talent or Abiliy Promotions that they are given when Scipio is played by a human.
    3. AI-Owned Proconsuls always have 1 extra move than a regular great general. They are simply given the extra-move promotion.
    4. AI-Owned Proconsuls always have the Medic General promotion like the Khan unit has

FAQ:
  • How is the length of a Proconsul's Governorship Calculated ?
    1. The base length of a governorship is 10 turns (see Post #3 on how you can alter this).
    2. When founding a city, the base length of a governorship is doubled.
    3. A random number between 1 and the base length of a governorship is then added to the total so far calculated.
    4. Then 1/2 of the base length of a governorship is subtracted from the total so far calculated.
    5. This resulting number is then adjusted for game speed:
      • Standard gamespeeds multiply by Quick = *.67, Standard = *1.0, Epic = *1.5, and Marathon = *3.0
      • Custom gamespeeds multiply by the ratio between '100' and whatever the custom gamespeed uses for "ConstructPercent".
    6. This result is the number of turns that Procconsul must spend governing that city.
  • How are XP given to Proconsuls Governing Cities ?
    1. The setting of BaseTurnsPerGovernorEarningMoreXP determines the increment in turns between attempts to add XP to a Proconsul Governing a City (see Post #3 on how you can alter this).
    2. This number is then multiplied against game speed to give an 'Increment' number
    3. When the current turn number is evenly divisable by the 'Increment' number, then a 'dice-roll' is made to see whether XP should be given
    4. If the 'dice-roll' comes up 'true' for that Proconsul (the chance for each Proconsul on that turn is 47%), then a 'dice-roll' is made as to determine the XP amount to be given.
    5. How many XP points to give. The chances for this are:
      XP Ratio Percentage
      1XP 22-in-26 85 %
      2XP 3-in-26 11 %
      3XP 1-in-26 4 %

Attachments

• DOM_SCIPIO.jpg
    DOM_SCIPIO.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 6,252
  • ResPublica.jpg
    ResPublica.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 5,661
  • Scipio-Selected.jpg
    Scipio-Selected.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 6,047
  • Selection-Screen.jpg
    Selection-Screen.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 5,817
  • Proconsul_256.jpg
    Proconsul_256.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 5,575
Proconsul Promotions
  • Promotions are used to give the Proconsul units their unique talents and character traits.
  • Some promotions are mere markers used for program processing, and I have not presented those here
  • The promotions can have a direct effect on the Proconsul unit, but more often are markers that are used by the lua of the mod to determine what effects should be added to nearby units or to cities the Proconusl Governs.
  • Whenever a Proconsul has extra affects on nearby combat units, there is a matching promotions that is added to those nearby units at the start of the player's turn if the unit(s) are within 2 tiles of the Proconsul. These promotions added to units can never be chosen, are only given via the lua methods within the mod, and always have direct unit-strength or unit-moves types of effects.
  • Proconsuls earn experience over time, and as they do so you will be able to select promotions that will enhance an individual Proconsul's "innate" talents, or you can select from a few promotions that are available to any Proconsul. This is to allow you to make more choices about how you will use each individual Proconsul. You can enhance one of the talent lines they already were spawned with, or you can choose to open up one of the talent lines shown as Choosable City Administration Talents, or if the Proconsul was spawned with the "Good General" talent line, you can elect to pick the next higher level of Good Battlefield General.

• To try to make things a little easier to understand I have color-coded the names of the Promotions in this discussion. Blue-colored Promotions cannot be chosen by the player, they are randomly added to the Proconsul Units when they spawn. Green-colored promotions can be chosen by the player. Many times these will require one of the blue-colored promotions as a prerequisite.

Generalship Talents
  • Pronconsuls can have one of three basic "generalship" talents: Good, Bad, and Neutral
  1. Neutral will not show up as anything in-game. It means the Proconsul was spawned as neither Good nor Bad. This will occur roughly 40% of the time assuming no other override effects adjusts this percentage.
  2. Bad has two levels, but neither of these is ever chosen by the player, they are randomly assigned, and cannot be removed or improved upon. This will occur roughly 33% of the time:
    • Bad General: -5% effectiveness to nearby combat units. Units that start near this type of Proconsul also ignore any nearby Great General effect. This means that the units starting nearby will not only not get the normal bonus for being near a Great General, but they will also be penalized 5%.
    • Dreadfully Bad General: -15% Combat Strength for nearby units. Units that start near this type of Proconsul also ignore any nearby Great General effect. This means that the units starting nearby will not only not get the normal bonus for being near a Great General, but they will also be penalized 15%.
      • Will only generally occur when the basic "Bad" selection has occured, and then only 1 in 6 times when a "Bad" result has spawned, which works out to about 5% likelihood overall. There is additional stand-alone code to make this result occur about 5% more often.
      • When this "talent" is given to a Proconsul, and additional "civil" talent is added to the unit.
  3. Good has three levels, and will occur roughly 20% of the time. When a unit selects for the "Good" Generalship talent, there is never another chance at leveling-up from Level 1 to Level 2, for example, as part of the unit spawning process.
    • Level 1: G1 - Legatus
      • +5% combat effectiveness to nearby units. This is in addition to the usual effect of being near a Great General. The +5% combat-strength effect on the nearby units lasts throughout the turn, regardless of where the unit "goes" or how far away from the Proconsul they get during that turn.
      • If the Proconsul has the Savant promotion, the Proconsul is treated the same as if it has the G1 - Legatus promotion.
      • Image of a Warrior affected by a Nearby Proconsul who has the G1 - Legatus ability (this screencap was taken when the bonus was 10%):
        Spoiler :
    • Level 2: G2 - Dux
      • Total of +10% combat effectiveness to nearby units. This is in addition to the usual effect of being near a Great General. The +10% combat-strength effect on the nearby units lasts throughout the turn, regardless of where the unit "goes" or how far away from the Proconsul they get during that turn.
      • The promotion is chosen when the unit "promotes up", and requires the G1 - Legatus or Savant promotion.
    • Level 3: G3 - Imperator
      • Total of +15% combat effectiveness to nearby units. This is in addition to the usual effect of being near a Great General. The +15% combat-strength effect on the nearby units lasts throughout the turn, regardless of where the unit "goes" or how far away from the Proconsul they get during that turn.
      • The promotion is chosen when the unit "promotes up", and requires the G2 - Dux promotion.

Innate City Administration Talents

• None of these talent lines can ever be chosen, they have to be added as an innate talent of the Proconsul when it spawns into the game.
  • When a Proconsul is promoted to Level 3 for one of these promotion lines, every time that Proconsul begins a Governorship in a city there is a 1-in-4 chance that a free building will be added to the city:
    • This free building will be related to the type of talent line.
    • The player must have the proper tech, and the city must otherwise be elligible to have the building based on terrain restrictions, prerequisite existing buildings, etc.
    • These buildings are 'free' in the sense that they are added to the city for no production cost/turns, but you must still pay maintenance on them, and each granted 'free' building increases the length of time the Proconsul must govern that city for that term of his governorship.
    • If you are running a mod that adds a custom unique building for Rome that replaces any of the specified buildings, the code will accomodate for that and give the custom unique building.
    • The requirement that the Proconsul have the Level 3 promotion from within a talent line does not apply to the "Administrator" Talent, nor does the 1-in-4 chance.

• Administrator: Proconsuls with the administrator line are always better at all levels as city Governors than Proconsuls with any other city governorship talent. You should always select for the next better level when you have the opportunity.
    • Continuous City Effects: (Proconsul must remain in the city)
      1. A1 - Quaestor: Approximately 2% chance every turn (at standard game speed) that the city will gain +1 Production to the city and +1 xp to land and air units trained in the city.
      2. A2 - Aedile: Approximately 4% chance every turn (at standard game speed) that the city will gain +1 Production to the city and +1 xp to land and air units trained in the city. Does not stack with Quaestor effect.
      3. A3 - Praetor: Approximately 6% chance every turn (at standard game speed) that the city will gain +1 Production to the city and +1 xp to land and air units trained in the city. Does not stack with Quaestor and Aedile effects.
    • Effects on Founding a New City with an "administrator" Proconsul:
      Any of the following buildings might be added to the new city, but all usual restrictions for these buildings apply as far as technology, available resources, nearby terrain, etc. The 1-in-4 chance mentioned above does not apply. Only Proconsuls with the "Administrator" talent add a free buildings upon founding a new city.
      1. A1 - Quaestor: A random selection is made from those buildings that could be added based on tech, resource, terrain restrictions. If a Proconsul is at higher than Level 1, selection is made from this list 1st before a selection is attempted at Level 2.
        • If a mod adds a prerequisite building to Walls, that prerequisite building will be added to the city.
        • Selection of one will be made from: Shrine, Lighthouse, Harbor, Stoneworks, Garden, Walls, Granary.
        • If none of the listed buildings can be normally constructed in the city, then no building will be selected from the list.
      2. A2 - Aedile: A random selection is made from those buildings that could be added based on tech, resource, terrain restrictions. If a Proconsul is at higher than Level 2, selection is made from this list 1st before a selection is attempted at Level 3.
        • Selection of one will be made from: Colosseum, Mint, Caravansary, Constable, Observatory, Seaport, Zoo, Aqueduct, Watermill
        • If none of the listed buildings can be normally constructed in the city, then no building will be selected from the list.
      3. A3 - Praetor: A random selection is made from those buildings that could be added based on tech, resource, terrain restrictions.
        • Selection of one will be made from: Police Station, Hotel, Airport, Stadium, Bomb Shelter, Castle, Windmill, Workshop.
    • Effects on starting a new Governorship in a city with an "administrator" Proconsul:
      • The 1-in-4 chance mentioned above does not apply. Uses the "New City" list of possible buildings to add as part of beginning a new Governorship, except:
        1. Only one (1) Building is added for 'free' per Governorship
        2. Selection is made for Level 3 Buildings 1st, then for Level 2 Buildings, then for Level 1 Buildings.
    • Effects from leaving an "Administrator" Proconsul as a Governor over several successive governorship "terms": (Proconsul must remain in the city)
      • If the Proconsul is left in the city as a Governor over several successive Governorship "terms", eventually a special "Governor's Mansion" building will appear in the city. This Governor's Mansion has the following effects on the city:
        1. The Special effects on the city mentioned in the section on Continuous City Effects become permanent. It is no longer necessary to keep the Proconsul in the city in order to retain all the "Good Administrator" effects.
        2. An additional building called a "Proconsul's Residence" will be unlocked that can be built in the city.
        You will have to leave the Proconsul in the same city for a quite a lengthy time before the Governor's Mansion will appear in the city. The exact duration will be randomly determined, which means it is possible (though not likely) that the Governor's Mansion will never appear in the city.
  • Builder
    1. B1 - Builder: +5% Production towards Buildings, Wonders, SS Parts in a city this Proconsul Governs.
    2. B2 - Draughtsman: +10% Production towards Buildings, Wonders, SS Parts in a city this Proconsul Governs. Does not stack with Builder effect.
    3. B3 - Architect: +15% Production towards Buildings, Wonders, SS Parts in a city this Proconsul Governs. Does not stack with Builder and Draughtsman effects.
      Possible added free buildings:
      1. Watermill
      2. Windmill
      3. Workshop
      4. Factory
  • Trainer
    1. T1 - Trainer: +5% Production towards Air and Land Units and +5 XP's for Air and Land Units completed in a city this Proconsul Governs.
    2. T2 - Good Trainer: Total +10% Production towards Air and Land Units and +10 XP's total for Air and Land Units completed in a city this Proconsul Governs.
    3. T3 - Superb Trainer: Total +15% Production towards Land and Air Units and +15 XP's total for Air and Land units completed in a city this Proconsul Governs.
      1. Barracks
      2. Armory
      3. Military Academy
  • Merchant
    1. M1 - Merchant: +10% Gold in a city this Proconsul Governs.
    2. M2 - Banker: +20% Gold in a city this Proconsul Governs.
    3. M3 - Financier: +30% Gold in a city this Proconsul Governs.
      1. Market
      2. Bank
      3. Stock Exchange
  • Educator
    1. E1 - Educated: +1 Science per turn and +5% Science in a city this Proconsul Governs.
    2. E2 - Well-Educated: Total +2 Science per turn and +10% Science in a city this Proconsul Governs.
    3. E3 - Superbly Educated: Total +3 Science per turn and +15% Science in a city this Proconsul Governs.
      1. Library
      2. University
      3. Public School
      4. Research Lab
  • Artistic
    1. ART1 - Artistic: Total +5% Great People Generation in the city this Proconsul Governs
    2. ART2 - More Artistic: Total +10% Great People Generation in the city this Proconsul Governs
    3. ART3 - Really Artistic: Total +15% Great People Generation in the city this Proconsul Governs
      1. Amphitheater
      2. Opera House
      3. Museum
  • Siege Engineer
    1. S1 - Siegecraft: Total +10% Production towards Siege Units. +10 XP's for Siege Units completed in a city this Proconsul Governs. Siege Promotion for all appropriate units completed in a city this Proconsul Governs.
    2. S2 - Siege Expertise: Total +15% Production towards Siege Units. +10 XP's and the Volley Promotion for Siege Units completed in a city this Proconsul Governs. Siege Promotion for all appropriate units completed in a city this Proconsul Governs. Production increase and XPs given do not stack on top of those for the Proconsular Siegecraft Promotion.
    3. S3 - Siege Engineering: Total +15% Production towards Siege Units. +15 XP's and the Volley Promotion for Siege Units completed in a city this Proconsul Governs. Siege Promotion for all appropriate units completed in a city this Proconsul Governs. Production increase and XPs given do not stack on top of those for the Proconsular Siegecraft or Siege Expertise Promotions.
      1. Walls
      2. Castle
      3. Arsenal
      4. Military Base
  • Armorer
    1. ARM1 - Armorer: Total +10% Production towards Air and Land Units and the Cover I Promotion for all appropriate units completed in a city this Proconsul Governs.
    2. ARM2 - Advanced Armorer: Total +20% Production towards Air and Land Units and the Cover I and Cover II Promotions for all appropriate units completed in a city this Proconsul Governs.
    3. ARM3 - Superb Armorer: Total +30% Production towards Air and Land Units and the Cover I and Cover II Promotions for all appropriate units completed in a city this Proconsul Governs.
      1. Circus
      2. Forge
      3. Stable
  • Farmer
    1. FARM1 - Farmer: Total +5% Food added in a city this Proconsul Governs.
    2. FARM2 - Good Farmer: Total +10% Food added in a city this Proconsul Governs.
    3. FARM3 - Agriculturalist: Total +15% Food added in a city this Proconsul Governs.
      1. Granary
      2. Aqueduct
      3. Hospital
      4. Medical Lab

Choosable City Administration Talents

• You can always choose these promotion lines, regardless of what else the Proconsul Unit originally spawned with. These are never added to a Proconsul as part of the original spawning process.
  • When a Proconsul is promoted to Level 3 for one of these promotion lines, every time that Proconsul begins a Governorship in a city there is a 1-in-4 chance that a free building will be added to the city:
    • This free building will be related to the type of talent line.
    • The player must have the proper tech, and the city must otherwise be elligible to have the building based on terrain restrictions, prerequisite existing buildings, etc.
    • These buildings are 'free' in the sense that they are added to the city for no production cost/turns, but you must still pay maintenance on them, and each granted 'free' building increases the length of time the Proconsul must govern that city for that term of his governorship.
    • If you are running a mod that adds a custom unique building for Rome that replaces any of the specified buildings, the code will accomodate for that and give the custom unique building.

• Harvestor
    1. H1 - Harvester: Total +1 Food in a city this Proconsul Governs.
    2. H2 - Good Harvester: Total +2 Food in a city this Proconsul Governs.
    3. H3 - Harvest Manager: Total +3 Food in a city this Proconsul Governs.
      1. Granary
      2. Aqueduct
      3. Hospital
      4. Medical Lab
  • Tax Assessor
    1. TAX1 - Treasury Tribune: Total +1 Gold and +5% Gold in a city this Proconsul Governs.
    2. TAX2 - Treasury Procurator: Total +3 Gold and +5% Gold in a city this Proconsul Governs.
    3. TAX3 - Praefectus Aerarii: Total +5 Gold and +5% Gold in a city this Proconsul Governs.
      1. Market
      2. Bank
      3. Stock Exchange
  • Fabricator
    1. F1 - Tribunus Fabrum: +1 Production in a city this Proconsul Governs.
    2. F2 - Quaestus Fabrum: Total +2 Production in a city this Proconsul Governs.
      • Does not stack with Tribunus Fabrum effect.
    3. F3 - Praefectus Fabrum: Total +3 Production in a city this Proconsul Governs.
      • Does not stack with Tribunus Fabrum and Quaestus Fabrum effects.
      1. Watermill
      2. Windmill
      3. Workshop
      4. Factory

Character Traits

These can never be chosen. They are all randomly assigned. Most are good, but a couple are not so good.

1. Savant:
    • Like the real life Julius Caesar, this Proconsul is talented at NEARLY EVERYTHING. When he Governs a city, the city will recieve multiple benefits. This promotion is also the same as the Legatus promotion for battlefield effects.
    • There can only be one Proconsul with the Savant promotion. Nor is there any guarrantee there will ever be one for any one game play-through.
    • The chances are 1 in 500 for each Proconsul born with the "Good Generalship" ability that this will be diverted to Savant if a Savant has not already happened that game
    • Savant is the same as having all of the following: G1 - Legatus, B1 - Builder, T1 - Trainer, M1 - Merchant, E1 - Educated, A1 - Quaestor, ART1 - Artistic, S1 - Siegecraft, ARM1 - Armorer, and FARM1 - Farmer
    • And yes, the guy we think of as Julius Caesar is historically attested as being talented in nearly all these diverse skill-sets, except for the Armorer and Farmer ones.
  2. Pius:
    • This Proconsul is Pius. The example he sets causes any city he visits to produce +1 Faith.
  3. Inept Governor:
    • This Proconsul may be a Lion on the Battlefield, but he's inept as a city adminstrator. Keep him where he belongs: at the head of your armies!
    • -5 Gold, -2 Food, -2 Production when he occupies a city tile. He does not have to actually be governing the city to give this bad effect.
    • A Proconsul with this character trait can never found a new Roman City.
    • This character trait can only ever be added to Proconsuls that are also given the "Good" generalship talent, and will not occur very often.
  4. Cruel:
    • This Proconsul may be a good administrator, but rumours about the methods he employs to achieve his results are rife throughout the empire.
    • This promotion can never be given to more than one Proconsul at any one time, and only can be given to Proconsuls who have the A1 - Quaestor talent.
    • He causes +2% unhappiness empire-wide when governing a city and he has also achieved the Level 2 A2 - Aedile promotion.
  5. Showman:
    • This man is a bit outrageous and loves to put on a show when he's away from the prying eyes of the Senate's elders. People come from miles around just to see what he'll think of next, and to marvel at the result. Or perhaps his audiences are just consumed by a morbid curiosity. His personal fortune, however, does not always cover the costs of his extravagance. +2 Empire Happiness, +1 Tourism, and -5 Gold when governing a city.
    • This character trait cannot be added if the empire is not generating at least 5 GPT.
  6. Austere:
    • This man has the simplest of needs and tastes. He places his concept of duty, and the needs of the People and Senate of Rome, above his own comforts. +2 Gold for the empire no matter where he is or what he is doing.
  7. Embezzler:
    • Having finally arrived at the highest levels of Rome's Senatorial ranks, this man sees no reason not to enrich himself at every opportunity. 10% of the base Gold produced in any city this Proconsul either governs or occupies at turn end vanishes mysteriously from the Empire's Treasury.
    • Embezzler and Austere are mutually exclusive.
  8. Sybarite:
    • This Proconsul may have many fine character qualities, but getting anywhere isn't one of them. He is surrounded by a travelling wagon-train of servants and baggage that would shame an eastern potentate. -1 Movement.
  9. Active:
    • This Proconsul moves faster than normal, and drags those with him along for the - uh - experience. Proconsul has +1 Movement. Land Combat Units that start their turn on the same tile recieve the same movement bonus for that turn.
    • Sybarite and Active are mutually exclusive.
  10. Tactician:
    • Combat Units that start their turn near this Proconsul ignore enemy ZOC for that turn.
    • This promotion can never be given to a "Bad" or "Dreadfully Bad" general.
  11. Drillmaster:
    • When Governing a city, any units trained there recieve the Mobility promotion.
  12. Archer:
    • This man lives and breathes the art of Archery. He loves to practice it, and he loves to teach it. When governing a city, any Ranged Units trained there recieve +15 XPs.
  13. Beloved Proconsul:
    • This man is so beloved by the People and Senate of Rome that his mere existance adds +2 Empire Happiness. When he governs a city, the city recieves +2 local happiness and enters 5 turns of WLTKD when he beings his administration. Current WLTKD that may be active when he begins his administration are extended.
    • Smaller cities never go into WLTKD naturally, and so even though they can be forced by game codes to enter WLTKD, this is not shown properly in the city view. The extra growth affects are conducted properly, however.

Mod Configurability::

1. Users can configure the behavior of the mod to a certain degree
  2. Find the file called ScipioModConfigurations.xml in the folder ModConfigurations
  3. Use notepad or notepad ++ or some other text editor program. Don't open the file with Word or Wordpad or such because these programs want to stick hidden formatting characters onto the files they open or save, and unless you are very careful you will corrupt the file and make it unusable.
  4. Open the file and you will see these contents:
    Code:
    [color="red"]<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <!-- Created by ModBuddy on 2/11/2016 8:05:12 PM -->
    <GameData>
    	<Table name="ScipioModConfigurations">
    		<Column name="CivilizationType" type="text" reference="Civilizations(Type)"/>
    		<Column name="ProconsulsBuildCitadels" type="integer" default="0"/>
    		<Column name="ProconsulsFoundCities" type="integer" default="1"/>
    		<Column name="ProconsulFromFirstCity" type="integer" default="1"/>
    		<Column name="ProconsulSpawnFromCivilSystem" type="integer" default="1"/>
    		<Column name="MinimumNumCitiesForProconsulFounding" type="integer" default="1"/>
    		<Column name="ProconsulStartingXP" type="integer" default="0"/>
    		<Column name="FirstProconsulCivilPoints" type="integer" default="0"/>
    		<Column name="SubsequentProconsulCivilPointsIncrement" type="integer" default="0"/>
    		<Column name="ProconsulsGetNoBarbXP" type="integer" default="1"/>
    		<Column name="BaseGovernorshipDuration" type="integer" default="0"/>
    		<Column name="BaseTurnsPerGovernorEarningMoreXP" type="integer" default="0"/>
    	</Table>[/color]
    	<ScipioModConfigurations>
    		<Row>
    			[color="red"]<CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_SCIPIO_ROME</CivilizationType>[/color]
    			<ProconsulsBuildCitadels>1</ProconsulsBuildCitadels>
    			<ProconsulsFoundCities>1</ProconsulsFoundCities>
    			<ProconsulFromFirstCity>1</ProconsulFromFirstCity>
    			<ProconsulSpawnFromCivilSystem>1</ProconsulSpawnFromCivilSystem>
    			<MinimumNumCitiesForProconsulFounding>1</MinimumNumCitiesForProconsulFounding>
    			<ProconsulStartingXP>5</ProconsulStartingXP>
    			<FirstProconsulCivilPoints>400</FirstProconsulCivilPoints>
    			<SubsequentProconsulCivilPointsIncrement>400</SubsequentProconsulCivilPointsIncrement>
    			<ProconsulsGetNoBarbXP>1</ProconsulsGetNoBarbXP>
    			<BaseGovernorshipDuration>10</BaseGovernorshipDuration>
    			<BaseTurnsPerGovernorEarningMoreXP>4</BaseTurnsPerGovernorEarningMoreXP>
    		</Row>
    	</ScipioModConfigurations>
    </GameData>
    The parts in I have lighted in red you must never alter
  5. This portion allows you to configure the way the mod works:
    Code:
    	<ScipioModConfigurations>
    		<Row>
    			[color="red"]<CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_SCIPIO_ROME</CivilizationType>[/color]
    			<SubsequentProconsulCivilPointsIncrement>400</SubsequentProconsulCivilPointsIncrement>
    		</Row>
    	</ScipioModConfigurations>
    • If you do not want Proconsul units to be able to create citadels, change this
      Code:
      to this​
      Code:
      <ProconsulsBuildCitadels>0</ProconsulsBuildCitadels>
    • If you do not want Proconsul units to be able to found new cities, change this
      Code:
      to this​
      Code:
      <ProconsulsFoundCities>0</ProconsulsFoundCities>
    • If you do not want Scipio's Rome to recieve a Proconsul upon founding their first city, change this
      Code:
      to this​
      Code:
      <ProconsulFromFirstCity>0</ProconsulFromFirstCity>
    • If you do not want Proconsul units to be spawned via the mod's civil points system (ie you only want them acquired through the usual Great General mechanics), change this
      Code:
      to this​
      Code:
      <ProconsulSpawnFromCivilSystem>0</ProconsulSpawnFromCivilSystem>
    • If you allow Proconsul units to create new cities for Scipio's Rome, but want to put a brake one how soon after game-start they can do this, there is a mechanic added to this version of the mod where X number of cities have to be founded in the normal way before a Proconsul can create a new city. As currently set, this value is 1 (one) city is required. To change this limiter, change the "1" found here to the desired number
      Code:
    • You can decide how much XP a Proconsul is born with. Currently in the new version of the mod I have it set to '5' XP. To change this amount change the '5' found here
      Code:
      Just do not set the value to a negative number because I am not sure if that will cause game wig-out or not.
    • You can decide how many Civil Points are required in order for the Civil system to spawn a 1st Proconsul. Simply change this to your desired number instead of "400":
      Code:
      • Any number entered that is less than "100" will be ignored and "100" will be used instead
    • You can decide how many additional Civil Points are required for each subsequent Proconsul after the 1st in order for the Civil system to spawn a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc., Proconsul. Simply change this to your desired number instead of "400":
      Code:
      1. Any number entered that is less than "100" will be ignored and "100" will be used instead
      2. The system does not however use a direct-addition system, it uses a bit more complex formula to ensure that each additional Proconsul spawned by the Civil Points systems is progressively more difficult to acquire.
      3. The formula is as
        Code:
        PointsRequired = FirstProconsulCivilPoints + SubsequentProconsulCivilPointsIncrement + (SubsequentProconsulCivilPointsIncrement * (NumberPreviouslySpawnedProconsuls - 1) * (1 + ((NumberPreviouslySpawnedProconsuls - 1) * .5)))
        • "NumberPreviouslySpawnedProconsuls" in the formula is the number of Proconsuls previously spawned by the Civil Points System
      4. The formula only is used after the system spawns its 1st Proconsul. This ensures that whatever is set for "FirstProconsulCivilPoints" will be the requirement for that 1st Proconsul spawned by the system.
      5. Proconsuls given for founding Scipio's first city, and those given from Policies, Wonders, and the combat XP system, are not included in the calculation
    • If you want Proconsul's to be able to gain XP from the killing of Barbarian Units when the Proconsul leads your armies, change this
      Code:
      to this​
      Code:
      <ProconsulsGetNoBarbXP>0</ProconsulsGetNoBarbXP>
      In the way this is coded "1" means "GetNoBarbXP"
    • You can decide how many turns to use as a 'base' figure for each Proconsul Governorship. Currently in the new version of the mod I have it set to '10' base turns. To change this amount change the '10' found here
      Code:
      The other code within the mod will not accept any setting less than '5', and will revert to '10' Base Turns if any value less than '5' is attempted.
      1. The base length of a governorship is used from the setting.
      2. When founding a city, the base length of a governorship is doubled.
      3. A random number between 1 and the base length of a governorship is then added to the total so far calculated.
      4. Then 1/2 of the base length of a governorship is subtracted from the total so far calculated.
      5. This resulting number is then adjusted for game speed:
        • Standard gamespeeds multiply by Quick = *.67, Standard = *1.0, Epic = *1.5, and Marathon = *3.0
        • Custom gamespeeds multiply by the ratio between '100' and whatever the custom gamespeed uses for "ConstructPercent"
      6. This result is the number of turns that Procconsul must spend governing that city.
    • You can decide how many turns to use as a 'base' figure for how often a Proconsul Governing a city can attempt to gain XP. Currently in the new version of the mod I have it set to '4' base turns. To change this amount change the '4' found here
      Code:
      The other code within the mod will not accept any setting less than '4', and will revert to '4' Base Turns if any value less than '4' is attempted.
      • In other words the setting as I have created the mod is the lowest setting allowed. This is for balance reasons. Proconsuls earned far too much XP when governing cities with any lower setting.
      1. The setting of BaseTurnsPerGovernorEarningMoreXP determines the increment in turns between attempts to add XP to a Proconsul Governing a City.
      2. This number is then multiplied against game speed to give an 'Increment' number
      3. When the current turn number is evenly divisable by the 'Increment' number, then a 'dice-roll' is made to see whether XP should be given
      4. if the 'dice-roll' comes up 'true' for that Proconsul (the chance for each Proconsul on that turn is 47%), then a 'dice-roll' is made as to
      5. How many XP points to give. The chances for this are:
        XP Ratio Percentage
        1XP 22-in-26 85 %
        2XP 3-in-26 11 %
        3XP 1-in-26 4 %
  6. Once you have made any desired alterations, you must save the file, and you must start a new game to get everything to work properly and not cause bizarre conflicts. (if you make these edits mid-game it will sort-of work when you reload a saved game, but some of the changes will have become moot by that point in the game).

Some Gameplay Notes:

From doing a few game play-throughs using this mod and playing as Rome, I can offer the following:
  1. You will have to keep a much closer eye than normal on your adversary's Great Prophets and Missionaries if you are a player who hates having the AI spread their religion to your cities.
    • When a Proconsul "Governs" a city, they become inactive and immobile for the duration of that governorship. So for foriegn Great Prophets and Missionaries, that city will be an open invitation for them to spread thier religion. The AI takes advantage of this.
    • This is an intentional by-product of the main focus of the mod (ie, Proconsuls "govern" a city when you want them to) in that I want you the player to be faced with choices and trade-offs. Having a Proconsul govern one of your cities gives special benefits in/to that city, but you give up certain other things, such as the ability to position an Inquisitor in the same city, or the ability to buy civilian units in that city.
    • You'll need to buy an inquisitor in a city without a Proconsul, and send it over to 'stand-guard' next to the city with the Proconsul

Mod Conflict Solutions

EUI
EUI and this mod conflict with each other because both are using an adjustment to the game's standard Unit Panel control.

The following will work to make EUI and this mod compatible until I can find a more elegant solution (assuming there is one):
  1. Navigate in your browser (and with CIV5 completely closed down) to the folder location where you pasted in the EUI mod's code.
    • On my Win8.1 machine this folder is located at
      C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\assets\DLC\UI_bc1
    • For other operating systems refer back to the install instructions author bc1 gave for installing EUI in other operating systems so far as where the EUI mod is located.
  2. Find the sub-folder within the UI_bc1 folder called UnitPanel.
  3. Rename the EUI folder called UnitPanel by placing an "_" character at the start of the EUI folder called UnitPanel.
  4. Now you can exit out of your browser, start the game, set-up to play as Scipio, and everything should work with EUI except that you will not have the unit lists and so on over on the left-hand side of the interface that you are used to while using EUI.

This is a really unique idea. I'd love to see what other mods you might do in the future.

Well, now this is certainly a good way to have a good Honor Starter civ.
I wonder though, wouldn't it had been better to just have the Proconsul be an unique Great Person that doesn't replace any other?

This is a really unique idea. I'd love to see what other mods you might do in the future.
So would I. :D
Wow, this is really cool. Can't wait to try it.
Go ahead and try it in the current state. The only real issue is figuring the logic required to make the rest of the combat-kills XP's work. The rest of what I want to add eventually is essentially cosmetics.
I wonder though, wouldn't it had been better to just have the Proconsul be an unique Great Person that doesn't replace any other?
Huh. It never occured to me to go any other route than to use the Proconsul as a Great General replacement.

Mainly because of the history of Republican Rome sending out their magistrates and former-Magistrates to command their armies. Or to govern a province and command an army at the same time.

The notion of the Dreadfully Bad General came from the Battle of Arausio, arguably the worst defeat suffered by Rome. Probably worse than the defeat of Publius Quinctilius Varus.

The idea of the Embezzler promotion came from one of the two "generals" responsible for Arausio, Quintus Servilius Caepio: he is believed by many to have stolen the Gold of Tolosa. Something like 50,000 15 lb. bars of gold. Truth or hyperbole, the story itself is certainly fascinating.

Probably the largest UU description ever! :lol:

I believe adding a new Great Person also increases GE, GS and GM thresholds whenever that new GP is born. At least, this was reported with my Montenegro mod.

This has moved in to the top tier of civs I enjoy playing. The variety of bonii (bonii sounds more Latin than bonuses) from Proconsuls make Rome a powerful and flexible civ. Very well done!

This has moved in to the top tier of civs I enjoy playing. The variety of bonii (bonii sounds more Latin than bonuses) from Proconsuls make Rome a powerful and flexible civ. Very well done!
:D

Let me know if you think anything needs buffed, nerfed, etc., or if anything is too unclear from the copious tooltips I've added.

Tooltips look fine. I just feel like with the proconsuls the AI isn't much of a competition anymore. You can have 3-4 proconsuls in just the first 100 turns. Perhaps the spawn rate could be adjusted?

I just finished up 152 turns playing with this civ. It brought back the old "one more turn" mentality that I used to have, so thank you for making a civ that does that.

10.The Civil Spawning system will never spawn a Proconsul if the total number of Proconsuls already on the game-board is greater than or equal to two-thirds of the total number of cities under Rome's control. This "brake" on the spawning system will be applied regardless of how the Proconsuls were acquired: through the Civil Spawning system or through the usual game-mechanics for acquiring Great General units.

Does this mean, if I were to play a 4 city Tradition game, I'll only get 2 Proconsuls?

Also, was there a thematic reason why Trainer and Armorer only work for Land and Air units, but not Naval?

Also also, this mod looks very intriguing, but I wonder why you didn't make it a separate civ called "Roman Republic" or something. The only things this shares with vanilla Rome are the icon, color scheme , and Legion. A different icon and maybe slightly lighter shade of purple shouldn't be too hard (easy for me to say since I'm not a modder :mischief:). I for one could live with the possibility of Rome and Roman Republic being in the same game and both having Legions. I don't mean to be an ungrateful jerk, but I'd still like to have the opportunity to play against Rome if I have this mod active but am playing a different civ.

Does this mean, if I were to play a 4 city Tradition game, I'll only get 2 Proconsuls?
If you have four cities, the extra Civil Spawning System will only spawn up to 2 more Proconsuls in addition to the original one you are given when you found Rome the City. You can still get one from choosing the Warrior Code Policy, one from building Brandenburg Gate, and as many as you would get for Great General combat experience as you would get Great Generals when playing as some other civilization.
Also, was there a thematic reason why Trainer and Armorer only work for Land and Air units, but not Naval?
It was a thematic choice because for the most part Rome often had trouble coming up with Admirals and navies. In the Republican period (even after their naval troubles with Carthage) they tended to levy their navies from thier allies and "protectorate" city-states.
Also also, this mod looks very intriguing, but I wonder why you didn't make it a separate civ called "Roman Republic" or something. The only things this shares with vanilla Rome are the icon, color scheme , and Legion. A different icon and maybe slightly lighter shade of purple shouldn't be too hard (easy for me to say since I'm not a modder :mischief:). I for one could live with the possibility of Rome and Roman Republic being in the same game and both having Legions. I don't mean to be an ungrateful jerk, but I'd still like to have the opportunity to play against Rome if I have this mod active but am playing a different civ.
If you are not playing as Scipio's Rome, just un-enable the mod.

The reason(s) I made it a replacement civ instead of an additional civ is that I just suck at the artwork, and trying to ask the few art-creators available on the Civfanatics forum to do all that artwork for me seemed like a lot to ask for. Also, I think Augustus and his UA suck.

Wow. This is a lot of description for one civ. Well, at least the unique component is really unique.

I just tried to play this mod, but I can't see the unit pane in the bottom left corner. Nor can I see the unit and city ribbons from EUI. I just recently downloaded the lastest update for EUI, so it may actually be a problem with that rather than Rome.

Credits
  1. Calcul8or made the icons for the Proconsul and for Scipio. He also made another icon for me that I want to use for custom notifications, if I can ever make sense of the conflicting tutorials on how to add those.

Best thing to do is go the dummy unit route.

The notification type "NOTIFICATION_GREAT_PERSON_ACTIVE_PLAYER" draws its icon from the portrait index of a specified unit. In this way, you can create a dummy unit with the icon that you want to display.

Code:
Players[Game.GetActivePlayer()]:AddNotification(NotificationTypes["NOTIFICATION_GREAT_PERSON_ACTIVE_PLAYER"], description, descriptionShort, plotX, plotY, unitID, -1, false)

I just tried to play this mod, but I can't see the unit pane in the bottom left corner. Nor can I see the unit and city ribbons from EUI. I just recently downloaded the lastest update for EUI, so it may actually be a problem with that rather than Rome.
I'm guessing it's a compatibility issue between this mod and EUI. I'll have to re-install EUI and try to confirm. But I haven't used EUI for quite some time.

Top Bottom