Game is crashing becouse of mods [Please Help]

Lots of fails and lots of mods is a recipe for disaster.

Easy compatibility checks:

1. One DLL across all mods. If two mods add their own DLL you've lost from the start.
2. No two mods modify the same two Lua files.

The CPP project I know is pretty stable, but I have no idea of its compatibility with JFDs mods and my hunch is it's not.

The CPP project I know is pretty stable, but I have no idea of its compatibility with JFDs mods and my hunch is it's not.

As far as I know, nearly all of JFD's overhaul mods require CP as a dependency, so they're compatible with it. Whether they're compatible with CBP, I'm not sure, but I would assume they are.

Running a lot of incredibly complex mods like CBP and JFD's mods can cause some strange bugs and interactions (like crashes), but I'm not entirely sure where the compatibility issue (since often these things are compatibility issues) is from. I'm fairly sure that, unless you delete a few of the UCs, the 3/4UC isn't compatible with CBP because there's overlap in some components. Try disabling them before anything else and see if your game still crashes. Through a brief skim of the logs, I also caught some errors related to JFD's Rise to Power and Cities in Development mods, but I'm not sure if they're gamebreaking enough to cause a crash.

Running a lot of mods at once is generally asking for trouble, especially incredibly complex mods like CBP and JFD's mods, but I'm fairly sure that, unless you delete a few of the UCs, the 3/4UC isn't compatible with CBP because there's overlap in some components.

Don't say that. I run 50+ mods, other people run in the near hundred.
You only have issues with multiple DLL mods and some overlapping components.

The key word there was "generally," and the especially important part was the phrase that followed it (about running very complex mods), but yeah, I could see that my statement was a bit harsh. I think the biggest problem with running multiple mods is that when something messes up, it becomes a pain to trace the problem to its source.

So, I suppose a better way to phrase it would be "running a lot of mods is a real easy way to get confused when things go wrong" :p

Exactly. "Generally" there are no problems.
The issues only arise in specific situations (those mentioned), reason why the rest of the statement is invalid. It is not 'specially' when B, it is 'exclusively' when B.

I agree your second one would be an improvement over the first phrase, while yet innacurate, in my opinion.

Fair enough. I'll edit my original post so there's no misconception that having lots of mods active is in some way a bad thing, since it's obviously not and isn't really what I was trying to say, though it sort of came off that way. You can get strange bugs and interactions as a result of running complex overhaul mods, but as you say, that's a specific case and therefore doesn't apply to the "general" case.

How do you check for mods using DLL files? Do you just need to search for *.dll in the mods directory? does any dll count?

How do you check for mods using DLL files? Do you just need to search for *.dll in the mods directory? does any dll count?

There is only one DLL a mod can load and you can find it in mod file or in its modinfo file (looking for the OnGetDLLPath tag).

There is only one DLL a mod can load and you can find it in mod file or in its modinfo file (looking for the OnGetDLLPath tag).

i dont suppose theres a utility for this? would take hours to go through them all

I don't see why you couldn't just run a search for the .DLL extension in your MODS folder, like you say above.

only two mods have actual DLLs for me, artificial unintelligence and dll mod components, neither cause the crash.. randomly checked others and found none referencing other dlls

You found the issue then, you can't have two DLLs active at the same time.
Also, you don't need to check each individually, just do a search with *.dll as the component to be found.

i mean i deactivated artificial unintelligence, and it still crashes, so thats what i mean by its not causing it

I noticed that you are using a clean install of Civ 5. But just to be on the safe side. Have you tried clearing the Civ 5 cache? The cache may have become corrupted the first time you played a game.

Clearing the cache tends to solve a lot of my mod problems. I usually try clearing the cache before doing anything else because it's easy and has fixed various problems in the past. That includes problems where the game locks up.

To clear the Civ 5 cache:
1. Make sure you exit Civ 5.
2. Find the Civ 5 cache folder. It's location might vary slightly depending on what operating system you have. Mine is located at: "Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache".
3. Delete the cache folder.
4. Restart Civ 5 and load the mod in the usual fashion. Civ 5 will automatically recreate the cache when the game starts.
5. You will need to re-enable your mods in the Civ 5 mods screen.

You probably already know this. But you can track down mod conflicts by temporarily reducing the number of mods being used then playing a game and checking if the problem goes away. Add and remove mods until you find the conflict. If you try this method. It's often a good idea to clear the cache when changing mod.

I noticed that you are using a clean install of Civ 5. But just to be on the safe side. Have you tried clearing the Civ 5 cache? The cache may have become corrupted the first time you played a game.

Clearing the cache tends to solve a lot of my mod problems. I usually try clearing the cache before doing anything else because it's easy and has fixed various problems in the past. That includes problems where the game locks up.

To clear the Civ 5 cache:
1. Make sure you exit Civ 5.
2. Find the Civ 5 cache folder. It's location might vary slightly depending on what operating system you have. Mine is located at: "Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache".
3. Delete the cache folder.
4. Restart Civ 5 and load the mod in the usual fashion. Civ 5 will automatically recreate the cache when the game starts.
5. You will need to re-enable your mods in the Civ 5 mods screen.

You probably already know this. But you can track down mod conflicts by temporarily reducing the number of mods being used then playing a game and checking if the problem goes away. Add and remove mods until you find the conflict. If you try this method. It's often a good idea to clear the cache when changing mod.

only problem with this method is it can literally take months... kinda sucks theres no built in tool or mod, like the mod managers for bethesda games

i think events and decisions is always crashing me, not sure what to do to get it more stable? its a great mod but i wish it crashed less often (or not at all)

is this easily fixable?
Runtime Error: C:\Users\Sean\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Sukritact's Events and Decisions (v 3)\Lua\Sukritact_SaveUtils.lua:32: bad argument #2 to 'SetValue' (Must be of type boolean, nil, number, or string)

Top Bottom