How do you feel about your country's leader?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synth

Comrade
So, we've been able to guess most leaders from the leaked image. While there's a chance they won't be correct, let's assume they are. How do you feel about the leader chosen for your country? Do you, personally, like the choice? Do you feel it's a good representation of your country's history?If not, who would you rather see in their place?
I'm brazilian, and while I am happy to see Brazil included in either the vanilla or the first DLCs, I absolutely hated that they chose Pedro II. Brazil has only been included in one game so far, and we had him as our leader there. I understand the devs's reasoning to put him there, but I would much rather see Getúlio Vargas, and I think including him instead would lead to a much different gameplay for Brazil.

I love that they picked Teddy Roosevelt. He was quite a character who loved adventure.

It's hard to argue with Victoria as an iconic leader, and while her personal power was much diminished compared with pre-Civil War monarchs, she coincided with the greatest extent of the British Empire, and had a wide cultural influence that persists to this day. It's also gratifying to see her in her younger days, rather than the usual dour-faced widow.

It would be nice to one day see a different leader from the usual suspects of Elizabeth I, Victoria and Churchill - an Anglo-Saxon ruler like Alfred, or a medieval ruler like Henry V, for variety's sake. But it's good to have female rulers, and England just has obvious candidates in that regard.

Pretty happy with Frederick Barbarossa. I was honestly expecting Bismarck or some other early modern leader but seeing one of the most iconic medieval emperors in the game feels great.

Nothing's certain about Catherine de Médicis but I would be thrilled if she is indeed revealed to be the leader for France.

Like Roosevelt alot. Really nice choice. I might actually play America this time around.

TR or Obama? :mischief: Okay, okay, I'll behave. I'm rather indifferent towards TR, but then, I'd be pretty happy if America got cut from the game...

I'm American and never play America really. George Washington and Lincoln are always made out to be almost infallible perfect leaders and it kind of takes away my ability to impress my own playstyle upon the Americans. Now Teddy Roosevelt is an absolute character and I am actually looking forward to playing the Americans this time.

As for other connections, I was born in Germany and am very excited to play as Frederick Barbarossa. I've read so much about him but never thought he'd make it in over Bismarck or Charlemagne for the HRE. Couldn't have picked a better leader from my perspective.

My entire family pretty much is historically Polish. I used to be somewhat ashamed to be Polish because in history class in the states all you really hear is about Poland being conquered and partitioned. But as I've gotten older I've realized what a deep history the country has. There are several great national heroes I've come to know and if Jadwiga is the pick I definitely won't be disappointed :)

Teddy Roosevelt is a great choice - not only is he an interesting and unique person, but he also consistently ranks among our top 5 presidents.

My hope is that leader personalities really come through in gameplay against the AI. Almost everyone in Civ V was pretty boring (not the choices for leaders, merely interactions with them in game).

4 years of reign for a nation with 1200+ years of history. No Great war, No Wonder, No decisive political agenda, nothing...
I'm sorry for Women but we didn't have any great woman leader like Victoria, Elizabeth or Catherine. History isn't fair and our greatest leaders are all men.

Louis XIV, Saint Louis, Napoleon Bonaparte, Charles de Gaulle, Armand Jean du Plessis de Richelieu, Jules Mazarin, even Francois I would have been a better choice.

I know American's firms love to travesty our history (there is no french in battlefield one, strange, I believed we lost 3 millions people in this war ) but they could try to hide it ...

I'm Russian and Peter I is a very solid choice.

Another in the "Americans for TR" camp. I'm a long-time admirer of his, and as American presidents go, it's hard to find anyone with a bigger personality. I think he's the perfect choice for a game like this.

Still too soon for this thread, IMO. Even if I'm satisfied with the leader choice, there are so many ways in which they can screw up implementation. I am yet ho clearly hear how Qin Shi Huang speaks, but the hype will be killed right on the spot if he starts speaking modern Mandarin with the voice of a young businessman.

I'm very excited we're getting Poland early, but I'm not very happy with Jadwiga.

Her greatest accomplishment, the union of Poland and Lithuania... wasn't really hers, as she was 12 and nobles did all the ruling. After the marriage with much older Jogalia she proceeded to being a great saint/first lady, while her husband was the actual leader.

And there were so many great choices!
Jan III Sobieski, Stefan Batory, Bolesław I Chrobry, Józef Piłsudski, even Jadwiga's husband Władysław II Jagiełło...

I'm really happy England has Victoria. I'm not too inspired by England's inevitable naval focus but having a great female leader means I'll likely play as them in my first game.

I'm also looking foward to seeing Tomyris, Jadwiga and maybe Tokimune in action though - they all seem pretty interesting.

I'm curious about de Medicis. I'd never have thought about her as a French leader... I wished for Louis XIV too; that is, if it was a pick between him, de Gaulle and Napoleon. I'm glad to be surprised with de Medicis and I can't wait to see what ability they've given her.

I like Teddy Roosevelt and the efforts to have a voice actor with a similar timber of voice, but I think they really did make him too fat. They should have modeled him after his face on Mount Rushmore, and not exaggerated his fat to the degree they did. He was robust; he didn't have huge jowls like that. I imagine they made him look like a teddy bear on purpose.

Though to be fair, Qin Shi Huang wasn't quite that fat in the face either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom