GOTM 30 is here!

Duke of Marlbrough

The Quiet Moderator
Retired Moderator
For our milestone GOTM 30, I took the ideas that gave the most positive feedback and combined them.

In this game, we have an accelerated start-up. But, it’s not a computer made one. It is a man made one. Several turns are skipped to start with, and then the playing starts. A nearby hut provides a horseman who goes exploring North. The settler also explores South. A hut gives 50 gold. Another gives a Archer. Washington is founded. Another hut gives 50 gold.

Washington IPRB a settler over a few turns. New York is founded in a spot that will have 4 specials (2 are hidden) and a couple rivers. Hanging Gardens is started. Barbarians land NE of New York. Our Archer and Horseman go out to meet them. Our Horseman kills one of the Barbarians, while our Archer fortifies on a forest square. The Barbarians attack and lose; our horseman chances down the Barbarian leader and ransoms him off. Both of our units were made Veterans in the process.

In the mean time, Boston is founded near Washington. More Settlers are built and roads are made to connect our cities. A Settler begins to mine a grassland to undercover a hidden special.

That’s where you take over; 1000 BC.

The game settings:

Large Map
Normal Land Mass
Varied Land Form
Wet Climate
Cool Temperature
5 billion Age
Emperor Level
7 Civs
Raging Hordes
No Restarts

Americans - Abe Lincoln

Started with Pottery.

Some notes: You are well into having a Wonder built, almost discovered Monarchy, and have 230 gold. No other civs have started any wonders and, at the current rate, you should be able to switch to Monarchy the turn after it is discovered. It is also worth pointing out that our nice little island crosses the median line.

Here are your starting cities:

Your City Summaries and unit Stats:

Your current techs:

And the location of the huts that have been found:

Games will be due on August 9th.

Be sure to send in the required saves {One from AD 1, AD 1000, and a save just before you would finish the game} to DoM@Civfanatics.net.

Save Game

Oh, if only Boston had been founded one tile southwest! I'll bet it's sitting on a special, too. New York looks like a 4-Whale - that's a nice one! No city improvements, like a Temple in New York?

Monarchy after 1000BC is kinda slow. Something to do with that "several turns were skipped to start"? At least its only two more techs to Trade. I've been trying to avoid Pottery lately; if I'm forced to take it I might as well go for Hanging Gardens.

Thanks for the 7 civs and extra gold. Some of that money could have gone into extra settlers. I liked the 2000BC start better, as there was less time wasted. Oh well.

You don't need a Temple in New York right now. It's wonder will be done before it grows again. Then, if you want, a temple can be rushed.

That's why it was played this way and the money was not spent down to nothing. To give people the choice to play how they wanted.

Originally posted by ElephantU
I liked the 2000BC start better, as there was less time wasted. Oh well.

So far, it sounds like you are the only one who feels that way. It looks to me that this start is much better than the 2000BC game, even with the delayed start. But, if I remember right, you didn't like that game either. :mischief:

The missing civs kind of hamstrung me. I did finish (spaceship even), just not by the submission deadline.

I've got a nice weekend coming up, should be able to finish #29 and analyze the start for #30. I have not played with Hanging Gardens in a while; could be a nice refresher.

Sorry if I came across as complaining.

That's fine. :)

The GOTM games are here to provide some variation for the players, not to try and be a perfect game each time. ;) It's tough to try and find something different to do, but still make it where most people can play it.

Having different types of things happen makes it where people can develope their skills in many types of game situations (less than 7 civs, flat map, etc), rather than just beat the 'same old thing'. :)

That's why suggestions for game ideas are always welcome. :goodjob:

Have to thank the Duke for the extra effort in setting up this month. Nothing is more annoying in an advanced Tribe setup than the horrid placing of cities. No complaints from this month. The cities site from an AI always seem to be set up to avoid an ideal placement. If it were by chance they would occasionally get it right.
Originally posted by ElephantU
Oh, if only Boston had been founded one tile southwest! I'll bet it's sitting on a special, too.

You can still mine the Boston city square to get Forest/Silk/Pheasant.
I plan on waiting till I have engineers then will put 3 engineers to work transforming to a Hill/Wine/Coal with a 4th engineer to start mining the square. This will give a mined city effect, giving 2 food and 3 shields assuming no special

should you be posting new games when there are still old ones with no results?

ok sorry, dont get me wrong. eventhough i dont pay this i still like to see the results cause it makes me laugh at how bad i really am at the game.

but what exactly could be wrong with a game that it needs months of rechecking? or did you accidently delete then all and are hoping everyone will forget ? ;) :p

Duke,

The setup looks great -- (duh how many folks will choose something other than NYC for an SSC?) Now that I’m back from vacation, I’ll start this, play too many turns (carelessly) & see what happens.

By having the same early turns played with a reasonable start, it will be interesting to see how well we can do with the early-mid & mid game tactics.

Another game idea -- King, small world, large land mass, continental, restarts on,…Barbarian WRATH. :eek:

Top Bottom