NEW UNIT: Jomon Warrior

Dom Pedro II

Modder For Life
Hey, everybody... I whipped up this little unit today because I was working on the CnP Pack and decided I needed a little break, and it'd also be a good chance to check out the poses.

This is the Jomon Warrior from the Jomon Period in Japan (8000 - 300 BC). Basically, its a flavor unit to replace the Warrior.

That's a bamboo spear, so I guess it could also be used as a spearman as well.

Jomon Warrior

But you know what... I just realized that this needs a bamboo resource.... hmmm..... Hey! *Runs over the Graphics Section*

Looks great!

May be, attack should move a little faster and hold the spear more horizontaly. An other little point: IMHO the bamboo spear could be more yellow then green. But I didn't tested it in Civ, only in flicster so it may be fine in Civ. But this are only small points. Great job!

This unit is definately first class Dom Pedro, but it is also a prime candidate for increasing the framerate as the unit actions are indeed a bit too slow compared to the Civ III stock units.

Would you please consider increasing the framerate so that this unit may be used to it's utmost quality?

Thanx Babe, cool unit:love:

Can't we just change the frame rate ourselves using Flicster? If we can, then we should and leave Dom Pedro II alone to do more cool units.

:)

Great Jobs !:goodjob:

I will integrate it in my units collection ....

:D

Tell you what COAtlantis, you get me some cool sounds and I'll increase the framerate... :cool: Ok, I'll do it anyway, but some sounds would be nice. ;)

Also, the current AttackA was in fact the AttackB originally, there's another one where he's slashing with the bamboo as well and then he uses it to stab. But I made a mistake when I was rendering it, and I didn't feel like rendering it all over again, so I figured I'd just post that FLC later, which is what I still intend to do... so you can probably expect to see that today sometime.

Hey Dom, perhaps I too could be of a little help?

#PRTO_Jomon_Warrior
^
^
^The [Jomon Warrior] is late Stone Age Japanese infantry, armed with a stirdy bamboo pole.
#DESC_PRTO_Jomon_Warrior
^
^
^ Through archeological findings, some have reasoned that humanoids may have been in Japan ever since the islands were sill a part of greater Asia. Though some may doubt this, most all agree that by 40,000 BC, Japan was reconnected with the mainland thanks to the ice-age. Most all also agree that during the next 10,000 years, Homo Sapiens came to Japan from East and Southeast Asia and had made the islands their home. The most clear archeological evidence from this time was left by the Jomon culture. Thus, Jomon is the name for an era in ancient Japan from around 10,000 BC to 300 BC that literally translates to "patterns of plaited cord", deriving from clay figurines made by these people. The end of the Jomon came with the start of the Yayoi era, named for a people, who are thought to have migrated from Korea to northern Kyushu and intermixed with the Jomon, eventually overwhelming and replacing them.
^
^ Though the Civilization 3 "warrior" unit arose at around this time, the Jomon peoples were better known for other attributes. The Jomon made many clay figurines and boats. They also used stone tools, traps, and weapons, becoming skilled hunters and deep-water fishermen. By the late Jomon period, even their agriculture evolved into sophisticated rice-paddy farming under goverment control. Perhaps the most important aspect about the Jomon is that many of the most important aspects of Japanese culture, such as Shinto mythology, marriage customs, architecture, metalworking, glassmaking, and textiles, may have very well first arose at this time.

Another 2 things.

1. I don't think a bamboo resource is really necessary. The standard warrior has a stone club, but you don't see him needing a stone resource.

2. Do you know if the Japanese PTW extras have civilopedia icons?

aaminion

1) I know, I just made that resource the other day and figured I'd post it just in case...

2) No, they don't have Civilopedia icons... :( , which IMHO, was pretty unprofessional of the creators to release it without evening providing them... I mean, Pedia Icons take MUCH less time than making the units themselves.

EDIT: And thanks for the entry!

Originally posted by Dom Pedro II
2) No, they don't have Civilopedia icons... :( , which IMHO, was pretty unprofessional of the creators to release it without evening providing them... I mean, Pedia Icons take MUCH less time than making the units themselves.
actually some of the units have icons, the siege crossbow and the canon I think.

Where are they?? :confused:
It was actually Teturkhan who made them for his mod. They are based on previews from PTW as far as I know. They are in his scenario(which all PTW users has in the scenarios folder). He also made some other icons based on paintings, so dont be confused if you find some rather strange looking Icons;)

btw cool unit above:goodjob:

Tell you what COAtlantis, you get me some cool sounds and I'll increase the framerate... :cool: Ok, I'll do it anyway, but some sounds would be nice. ;)

Also, the current AttackA was in fact the AttackB originally, there's another one where he's slashing with the bamboo as well and then he uses it to stab. But I made a mistake when I was rendering it, and I didn't feel like rendering it all over again, so I figured I'd just post that FLC later, which is what I still intend to do... so you can probably expect to see that today sometime.

You got yourself a deal, sir! Increasing the framerate will actually help me get the timing correct on the choreography :)

I will gladly supply the sound files after I finish whipping together some for the Egyptian Spearman asap!

Originally posted by aaminion00
Hey Dom, perhaps I too could be of a little help?

#PRTO_Jomon_Warrior
^
^
^The [Jomon Warrior] is late Stone Age Japanese infantry, armed with a stirdy bamboo pole.
#DESC_PRTO_Jomon_Warrior
^
^
^ Through archeological findings, some have reasoned that humanoids may have been in Japan ever since the islands were sill a part of greater Asia. Though some may doubt this, most all agree that by 40,000 BC, Japan was reconnected with the mainland thanks to the ice-age. Most all also agree that during the next 10,000 years, Homo Sapiens came to Japan from East and Southeast Asia and had made the islands their home. The most clear archeological evidence from this time was left by the Jomon culture. Thus, Jomon is the name for an era in ancient Japan from around 10,000 BC to 300 BC that literally translates to "patterns of plaited cord", deriving from clay figurines made by these people. The end of the Jomon came with the start of the Yayoi era, named for a people, who are thought to have migrated from Korea to northern Kyushu and intermixed with the Jomon, eventually overwhelming and replacing them.
^
^ Though the Civilization 3 "warrior" unit arose at around this time, the Jomon peoples were better known for other attributes. The Jomon made many clay figurines and boats. They also used stone tools, traps, and weapons, becoming skilled hunters and deep-water fishermen. By the late Jomon period, even their agriculture evolved into sophisticated rice-paddy farming under goverment control. Perhaps the most important aspect about the Jomon is that many of the most important aspects of Japanese culture, such as Shinto mythology, marriage customs, architecture, metalworking, glassmaking, and textiles, may have very well first arose at this time.

No the Jomon didn't do all that it was the Yamato that created Shinto and civilized Japan during the late 10th century.But I don't know because my knowledge of Japanese history is limited to the Warring States Era to now.

Top Bottom