Battle for Berlin

Patroklos

Deity
Hey all,

My WWII scenario is still going, but I started to burn out so I diverted my efforts somewhere else before I got sick of it and gave up. So I took a different road but in the same general direction. This is a battle scenario that uses the units from my WWII scenario but focused on a more tactical level

The map is the area east of Berlin and the ruined city itself. The victory points are centered on the city but not in a "city" proper. I modified the graphics so that very small cities appear as ruins and put a victory point representing the landmarks that the final stages of the battle were stationed on, basically allowing me to name the locations. There are no buildable units. I decided to use coast as rivers because most of the battle was centered around capturing bridgeheads and bridges (which I added).

As far as the bridges go (graphically modified railroads), I took the pillage option away so you couldn't detroy them, but they can still be brought down by bombardment. I want to add a bridging unit, and here is my idea. I want to take either tundra or desert, neither is used in the scenario, and overright it with the coast graphics (I tried this but I can't figure it out, if one of you terrain gurus can contribute to my effort I would be supremely greatful, I think it is just paste over work with the European Terrain). Then make it impassible to wheeled, make all units wheeled except the bridging unit.

For the bridging unit itself, I don't want it to be a worker unit that rebuilds the road/bridge, but rather a land transport unit that can only "bring across" a few units at a time to simulate the clogged pontoon bridges. Also, if the Germans can predict where the Russians will cross and destroy these irreplacable units, the Allied cause is lost.

The screenshot is astetic, the mechanics are not finished, however I decided to post it for a reason. Is there any interest in thsese battlefield scenarios? Once the mechanics are set they are really nithing more than maps and some graphics work. I wnat to do civil war battles as well.

What do you all think?

hmmmm....

Not much interest I see. Well at any rate it sort of rekindled my moding spirit so back to the WWII scenario proper I go. I will try and finish this one though since it is already started.

not much interest?? I think it's a great idea! I hope you'll do some more 'battles' in the future. Stalingrad, Kursk, D-Day, ...
Great work!

Indeed, it's excellent! Though I do find the European Terrain very dull. Is there a chance a standard colour variant or one using Snoopy's Terrain variant would ever be available?

I picked the European Terrain because I usually use Cordy's which as some of you have pointed out is very bright. I will experiment more. I am thinking of shrinking th map as well. I don't like the ruin graphic and will try and replace it with something more reprentative of hulled brick buildings instead of collapsed stone. maybe a cut and paste from some pictures.

Lol, I see we werent the only ones looking at battle size ww2 scenarios. :D

WW2Commander is working on several for the SOE team, he doing a D-Day one and im trying to get him to do an Operation Downfall version too in the future.

Looking very good btw Patroklos.

I have alot to do this week, so I will get to this pn the weekend. Have some good ideas.

Patroklos,

Kento pointed out your thread to me. Its good to see we both like making scenarios at the tactical level. :goodjob:

You are more than welcome to become a part of the Storm Series Scenario team over at the CDG forums. :)

I was planning on doing a Berlin scenario down the track but since you are onto a good thing why not join the team.

I thought that you may have some use for additional urban terrain so here is a link to some European urban terrain I made for my D-Day scenario.

http://www.cdgroup.org/forums/tbs/civ3/viewtopic.php?t=4360

Keep up the great work mate :)

Thats great to hear mate.

I agree with your point, we can share ideas and resources rather than duplicating resources.

Kento posted a thread to the massive Storm of Europe scenario that is in the works. This will give you a good idea of how addicted we are to scenarios.

I also have a thread for my scenario D-Day: The Longest Day. Check it out and tell me if you still are interested in being a team member.

http://www.cdgroup.org/forums/tbs/civ3/index.php?h=1&pf=400

I can ask the mods to create a seperate folder under the 'Storm Series Scenarios' thread for your Berlin scenario. This way you have a central point to store your scenario and discuss the topics/development.

I would also like to point out that my invite is by no means a way of saying 'stop coming to CivFanatic'. Feel free to continue posting here if you like. Whilst I tend to not post very often, I always try to drop in as frequently as possible to CFC.

Look forward to having you on board.:goodjob:

P.S. Send me a priv. msg at CDG if you would like to discuss anything further or have questions regarding our members.:)

@Patroklos, all the SOE resources are of course now at your disposal to use as you like, I will add you to the SOE tester forum so you can access the mod and if you need anything in particular and do not want to sit and download the whole 150mb file just let me know. Theres currently something like 150+ units there and of course the new interface, buildings and suchlike. Just let me know what you need. :)

Hey all,

This project has moved to the SSS section of the SOE in the Creative Design Groups forum, but I will keep this thread up to date as well. These are the two new screenshots of the Seelow Hieghts part of the scenario.

The Russians crossed the Oder in force but are faultering from withering fire, where is it coming from???

The Germans have now intention of letting the Soviets have Berlin without a fight!. They are holed up in the Seelow Hieghts, overlooking th Russians only river crossing on the Oder.

More to come later.

Top Bottom