Screw Democracy

Exsanguination

No longer here
I HATE DEMOCRACY.

Why? In one of my most successful games to date, i was about to acquire Space Flight. It was around 1900. I switched from republic to democracy to get it faster. Lo and behold, immediately one of my cities goes into disorder. Anarchy prevails, and not until aboout 1930 do I regain govt. And yet again, the same thing happens. 1960 comes, I'm back to republic and finally having space flight. My dreams of landing on Alpha Centauri before 2020 have been destroyed by DEMOCRACY.

well, you could build some happy wonders, and raise luxuries to keep the citizens from going into disorder. In republic, there is too much corruption.

did you make trade routes and build superhighways to maximaize trade? I never have probems with democracy unless I establish it while a lot of units are outside of the cities, then I will have revolts (each unit causes 2 unhappy people). Also, having nukes and bombers cause extra unhappiness in a democracy, no matter where they are.

No nunkes, no bombers, and every city had everything they could possibly have (except for a select few, which never revolted). I jacked up science and entertainers early on. ...

well, then u must have some units outside ur cities? and if u dont like democracy, go communism-its high research, high money, and one soldier makes two angry citizens content

You must remember that maximizing a civilization's trade potential by establishing trade routes is important for the maintanence of a Militant Democracy; those extra trade arrows often provide the critical difference in maintaining happiness while achieving high rates of scientific advancement.

what difficulty level are you playing at?

The only real goverment is fundametalism/facism. In democracy you have zero control the people are totaly ugovernable, in republic its a little better but there corruption flows throug every part of society in communism you go bankrupt and the two last are not worth mentioning. Now for my part im ready to give up the ekstra trade in order to optain complete control. ( I should say that im a big time warmonger ). So i agree screew democracy thats the best way to put it.

actually i kinda like democracy, i say i dont but i syill use it in every game. as long as u have temples, and courthouses and marketsplaces, and so on, u will do fine(i have luxury at 40%) but it will give y tonsof cash, pop and tech

No Democracy is a great Government!!! I'll attach my latest game in Democracy, I only have one problem and that is that I have serious famine fears. But my engineers will soon sort that out!!!:goodjob:

Soz bout that that!!! I forgot!!!:D

I too do not like democracy. I tried it after seeing the poll here on what govt's people prefer. I nearly always play as a monarchy once I get that advance. :egypt:

What level are you playing on if you manage to do so well with Monarchy? Do you ever win games? By Spaceship? With how many cities? And have you ever reached Future Tech?
I simply can't understand why anyone would prefer monarchy unless they were in despotism. It's a useful stepping stone to better forms of government but nothing more. When changing from Democracy in order top go to war, Commie or Fundy is far superior to Monarchy.

Originally posted by nico65
The only real goverment is fundametalism/facism. In democracy you have zero control the people are totaly ugovernable, in republic its a little better but there corruption flows throug every part of society in communism you go bankrupt and the two last are not worth mentioning. Now for my part im ready to give up the ekstra trade in order to optain complete control. ( I should say that im a big time warmonger ). So i agree screew democracy thats the best way to put it.

I personally find that it depends on what type of game you're playing. I used to hate democracy myself, but then I finally got to see a working model, and after that...well, it is one of the stronger governments.

It seems to me that if you're playing the militaristic game, you really want to be going with Fundamentalism or Communism. Communism will give you no corruption, but lots of production. As far as governments go, it's very middle-of-the-road.

I find that Democracy works for larger countries that already have a strong infrastructure before the government is put into place. If you've got lots of small cities and almost no big ones, forget about it; the cost of keeping your military up and running will cripple you.

However, if you do have a few larger cities and you're playing the develop technology peacefully game, Democracy is the way to go. The trade bonus pretty much doubles your discovery speed, and your form of government prevents other powers from bribing your units and cities.

It is a government where you'll have to use your luxuries, though...without those, you won't be able to keep everything running.

Best regards to all,

Robert Marks

Originally posted by duke o' york
What level are you playing on if you manage to do so well with Monarchy? Do you ever win games? By Spaceship? With how many cities? And have you ever reached Future Tech?

Yes I have won games both by spaceship and bloodlust. I have not won above Prince yet though and I have been experimenting with democracy lately. I have had future techs in many games. As for the most number of ciiteis I have had not sure on that one either only that we were into the second round of names a few times. I don't like having too many cities because of all the micro-managing.

:king:

Well I'm very impressed that you were able to reach Future tech and build the SS despite the crippling corruption levels you get under Monarchy. I still feel sure, however, that once you have successfully managed a democracy then you will never go back to another government and even go to extreme lengths to be able to fight a war without having to change your government. Just keep experimenting with the other governments and I guarantee you will not be so beloved of monarchy after a while. Unless, that is, you always play the English on a world map and try to keep things realistic.

Top Bottom