Created by: Pawel

Co-creators: Mr Black, silver 2039

Files for Download

Rising Sun: mod and scenarios 8 MB

Rising Sun: extras (optional leaderhead) 15 MB

Low bandwidth?
Download the mini version instead! (only basic terrain) 5 MB

General Description

This package consists of two parts: a mod that can be played on a random map, containing all unit animations from Conquests and Play the World (except the Dinos), and three scenarios that use the mod.

The Mod

The mod adds:
* 3 terrain options (Standard, Sn00py's, Warpstorm's Watercolor)
* 40 units with new animations from the Conquests scenarios.
* 10 additional units, see credits below
* 15 WWII era flavor units are available through the PTW extension (or Civ3 Gold).
* 12 new wonders with improved icons and splashes from Conquests scenarios.
* A new civilization: Poland replaces the Celts (using a new leaderhead).
* A new government: Constitutional Monarchy
* Minor improvements to the standard wonders, unit abilities, unit upgrade paths, and tech tree
* Improved animations for Mech Infantry and Worker, see credits below
* Some additional art, see credits below
* A new Japanese leaderhead, new Paratrooper and Pikeman animations, corrected animations for the Jet Fighter, Minamoto Samurai and Modern Armor, as well as some further art in the extras package.

Click here to download an Excel file listing the new units and wonders!

A lot of effort has been spent meshing the new units into the tech tree in a balanced yet innovative way that should be simple for the AI to understand and still offer new capabilities.
For the Japanese, the tree looks like this:
Ancient Times, Middle Ages, Industrial Ages, Modern Times.
Especially in the modern era, new units often take advantage of different combinations of resources - making the latter both less critical and more interesting at the same time.

The Scenarios :ninja:

While playable with all civilizations, these scenarios are primarily intended to be played as Japan. Scandinavia, as well as England and China at Emperor level, are also always interesting choices. See the scenario descriptions for the fortunes of other civilizations in the given time period.
The numer of civilizations makes resources scarce, and not everyone will be able to build all units. There can thus be distinct shifts in the balance of power during the game. In the late game, each civilization can take advantage of the new units in its own unique way.

The scenarios adopts a novel approach to better reflect global history. In reality civilization rise and fall, but in civ they tend to do either one or the other. Despite adopting a nominal starting date, there are actually several time lines. The placement of some civilizations (e.g. America) is thus aimed at achieving a certain position at a later stage of the game, when they will be in contact, and perhaps conflict, with Japan.
The result is a scenario that keeps a high level of historical accuracy not only over the first few turns, but throughout an entire epic game!

Starting in 1500 AD
Europe is entering its renaissance. Copernicus has introduced the heliocentric system, Vasco da Gama has sailed to India and Columbus to America. Spain is the dominant power. In the East, two empires are collapsing. The Arabs are being eclipsed by the Ottomans, and even Mongol power is fading. Others are eagerly awaiting their turn... But during the Sengoku period Japan is pre-occupied by its brutal civil war. Will there be a be a new Shogun?

Starting in 1200 AD
In 1192 Minamoto no Yoritomo becomes the first Shogun. Richard Lionheart and Saladin struggle for control over Jerusalem. The Spanish Reconquista is nearing its end. Venetian intrigues are yet to divert the 4th crusade to Constantinople, dealing the Byzantines a lethal blow and opening the way for the Seldjuk Turks, who already control the Caucasus and Persia. However, soon all will tremble before a young boy to be known as - Genghis Khan...

Starting in 600 AD
After a period of division China is united in 589 BC under the Sui dynasty. In Europe Western Rome has fallen, and Italy is now part of the Byzantine empire. Spain is ruled by the Visigoths, whose descendants will cross the Atlantic and perhaps conquer South America. Sassanide Persia stands at the peak of its power. Most importantly, soon to be united under Islam, the Arabs are ready for conquest. In the north, the creation of the german Holy Roman Empire is only two centuries away. The Mongols are biding their time... Will they defeat China and Russia?

Starting in 200 BC
The unification of China in 221 BC under the Qin dynasty coincided with the rise of Rome, shaping Euroasian politics for centuries to come. Can you make a difference?

Note that keeping up in the tech race can be hard in the two later scenarios if you play at monarch level or higher - unless you are a very good trader.

Credits :thanx:

Map
Kal-els 140x140 Earth Resources

Art
Barracks and Harbor city art by BeBro
Borders with Flags by Pounder
City Graphics Set - Japan by Ogedei the Mad
Female Asian Culture Advisor by frenchman
Global Warming Thermometer by Pounder
Intelligence Agency icon fix by Rufus T. Firefly
Modern Barricade by Hunter
New Barbarian Camps by m_m_x
New Mine (larger version) by buk
New Team Colors by Rhye (selected)
Population with Tiny Mood Badges by EvanCiv (modified for Conquests)
QueueMod by Mercade (building part only, modified)
Random Player Setup Change by Tae Shala
Sn00py's Terrain 4.5 by Sn00py
Sn00py's Terrain Pedia Icons by Rufus T. Firefly
Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain MkII by Warpstorm

Units
AH-64D Longbow Apache by BeBro
C-17 Globemaster III by Wyrmshadow
Clipper Ship by Colonel Kraken
G3M Nell by aaglo
Jomon Warrior by Dom Pedro II (civilopedia entry by aaminion00)
Junk by TVA22 (civ colored sails by pdescobar)
Mech Infantry by TMT (new attack animations)
Modern Infantry by Balou, Polaris, and dannyevilcat
Modern Worker by TMT (paradrop animation)
Searcher 2 by Boulboulgadol
Severodvinsk by Akula
Type 97 Chi-Ha Tank by Ripptide

Extras
Emperor Meji of Japan by ShiroKobbure
Industrial Era Splash by BeBro
Lightened Railroads by Niessuh
Transport Window (fixed leftovers) by Pounder
Ashigaru Footman by Kinboat
Jet Fighter (cleaned up attack animation) by CivGeneral
Minamoto Samurai (fixed fidget animation) by mnrt
Modern Armor (fixed run animation) by
Parachutiste by Balou (civcolored beret by Nemesis Rex)

Play Testing
Mr Black
silver 2039

Installation Instructions :help:

Unzip the Rising Sun scenario file to the Civilization III\Conquests\Scenarios directory. The full path to the Civilization III directory is usually something like C:\Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III. If you have an earlier version installed, remove or overwrite it.

Extras
If you have downloaded the Rising Sun extras, unzip the file to the Civilization III\Conquests\Scenarios\Rising Sun directory after the scenario files. If you would want to use the extras in all games, unzip it to the Civilization III\Conquests directory instead. No important files will be overwritten (just say no during unzipping if you are not sure). The original leaderhead (located elsewhere) can be brought back by removing the new files.

No Civ3 Gold or PTW?
You have two options:
1. Replace the file Civilization III\Conquests\Scenarios\Rising Sun\Text\PediaIcons.txt with the _noPTW version in the same directory.
2. Download the missing PTW units from the web. (Firaxis has given permission to do so.) Install the units in the original Civilization III\Civ3PTW\extras\World War II\Art\Units directory. Any of the following will also be fine: Civilization III\Conquests\Art\Units, Civilization III\Civ3PTW\Art\Units, or Civilization III\Art\Units. This only needs to be done once. Remember that unless the units files and their directories retain their original PTW names, they will not work!

Alternative Terrain
Conquests updates for Sn00py's Terrain 4.5 and Warpstorm's Watercolor Terrain are provided in the subdirectories "Sn00pys Terrain (C3C)" and WarpstormWatercolorMkII in the Civilization III\Conquests\Scenarios directory. The original PTW versions should be in Civilization III\Civ3PTW\Scenarios. Including only the updates allows a significant reduction in the scenario size. If you don't have Civ3 Gold or PTW, or your release of Civ lacks the earlier terrain art (as may be the case with some non-English versions), just download and install the complete packages.

This scenario was requires Civ3 Gold or version 1.22 of Conquests. You can download the patch here.

Future development

Anyone is free to use or modify this scenario, in part or in whole, in any way they want as long as this does not infringe upon the copyright of Firaxis (or any other relevant parties).

I dont have C3C yet so I cannot comment on the scenario at the moment other than to say that it sounds interesting. However what I am commenting on is this: Are you sure that you arn't breaking copyright laws by posting the units from C3C here? Firaxis monitors this and I don't want any modder to get into legal trouble so I'm letting you know.

Well, I hope you get Conquests soon so that you can try it! ;) I am curious to hear any comments!

Regarding the copyright problems there is no need to worry, as I am not posting the units themselves. They take, by the way, much more than 5 MB. By writing a clever path one can access the units, without side effects of including the scenarios, despite the fact that they are dispersed in an inconvenient manner. You can use it if you like. :) This of course requires you to have Conquests installed - but you need it anyway to play, so this is not much of a limitation. On the other hand, I have not used any PTW units that do not come with Conquests.

This looks interesting in certain aspects and I might try this down the road a bit. I like to adapt scenarios to a ai logic that I use and modify victory conditions and such and this might be a canidate for that. Right now Im tied up with 2 other mods but Ill check back in on this .

Why did you decide to focus on Japan, just curious.

I am very glad you are interested in improving the scenario! Since I have put most of the ideas I had into version 2.1, which is also fully debugged, my immediate plans were only to keep it compatible with the upcoming patches.

Why Japan? There were actually several reasons for this. I wanted to have

1. A long time line. After all, Civilization is at its best portraying just that. :)
2. A global map. Regional maps make sense if they are linked to a limited time period, but it is hard to explain why, e.g., modern day Britons would avoid crossing the Atlantic just because the other side is not on the map. ;)
3. A good starting point in ancient times. Well, 200 BC was the natural choice on a global map due to the developments in both Europe and Asia at that time, putting these regions into the initial focus of the sceanrio.
4. A balanced game that is fun to play. This is actually the most important point. I saw many scenarios that correctly reflected the situation at a given point in time, although this quickly lost its significance, but were really boring to play. The solution was to have multiple time lines. The idea was that as new regions would become visible to the player, they would reflect successively later times. The position of Japan, on the edge of Asia (China) and with the Pacific on the other side, was very suitable for this. However, I have tried to make the civs rather balanced, so most should be playable, but they will lack this feature.
5. I wanted to take advantage of all the graphics that was provided with the game, but not used. The most complete package was, by far, that for Japan, and it felt tempting to take full advantage of it.

...and now it has a nice upgrade to Conquests. :goodjob:

The Americans get scary later on in the game. My recommendation for anyone is to take them out after you have secured the border of the homeland.(Deep into China, hopefully) The Russians can become fairly fierce too, and make fine allies for keeping a lid on Eurasia.

Thank you very much! :worship:

And now I have just posted version 2.2, which adds seven new wonders. Among them is the Kabuki Theatre that doubles the effect of Colosseums. Some of the old ones also received minor additions to their requirements.

I think that the Americans will do fine in the current version as well, but I am very curious as to how the Maya and Inca, as well as updated Aztec civilizations develop in the long run. The Scandinavians are now also stronger, and perhaps they too can play a role in North America? And how do the Byzantines cope? Better than the Ottomans and Greeks they replaced, I hope. :)

I have been looking for a way to use all the new stuff from the Conquests. Does this include the Elizebethan Sea Dog and the upgradable Legionaries? I assume it has all of the stuff from the Sengoku scenario as well as the Japanese stuff from the WW2 scenario. I hope you included the Imperialism government type.

I'm going to download it now and take a look.

Yuurei.

This is a really cool scenario/ mod. Most specifically the flavors.

I'm currently playing as Japan (Emperor level) and loving the Asian flavor units.

I was able to settle only one city in the Asian mainland, before being cut-off by the Koreans. At least, I know who my Samurais will be going after first. :)

Now I'm concentrating on settling those islands in the Pacific (specifically the Phillipines), but it's very difficult with those Barbarian Longships. (I've lost several Settlers in Curaghs)

So now, I'm just waiting for the Map Making tech. (I should have done this earlier, but I screwed up.) Hopefully with the 'Junk', I'll be able to settle in the Phillipines before the Chinese, or English.

I'll try and get in a few more turns of gameplay within the next days. But the good news, is there is no bug to report, everything is running smoothly.

P.S. The Chinese are expanding greatly, I can already see they will be my biggest competition.

OK got Map Making and made quick work of all of them Barbarians in the sea. I now have much of the South Pacific settled, including the Spice deposits. :)

Had to pay the Chinese 20 Gold in tribute, but that’s fine cause they’re now at war with everyone. And I mean EVERYONE. Except for Japan, there is no need for me to get involved. I’m hoping the Chinese get blasted, I’ll be very surprised if they survive this. I’ve also had to pay tribute to the Persians, I’m fine with it, as I now want to build up my infrastructure, I’m a builder you see.

Also, I’ve noticed the Asian Settlers cost 0 population, that’s STRONG!!! Why did you chose 0 instead of 1???

Im afraid to download this as it sounds like it will scew with the normal game??? Installing is a little unclear too... Can you please make a dumby version for installing? Explain what it does to out installed game?

Later

HOT

This scenario won't do anything to the normal game. Just remember to put everything in the Conquest/ Scenarios Folder. And load from Civ/Content. The graphics are really different, it will feel like a whole new game, at least for Asian civs, haven't tried the other groups.

You should not be afraid to download, you will still be able to play the Firaxis version.

Do I stilll need the PTW extentions which I already own Civ3Gold which includes PTW and I have Conquests??

Sounds good..

Give me bit more feed back and I'll download it!

Later

HOT

Just enetered the Modern Age, and everything works great except for a few small points.

One thing you should check out though, is that it never allows any pyramids. This is probably due to your requiring step pyramids before pyramids, and it will not allow step pyramids, likely because there is no stone resource, although in the editor it says nothing about a requirement for step pyramids.

Also, the relics seem to serve no purpose since there is no sacrafice ability.

Other than that, the game plays great, and it is sufficiently long enough although I'd still like to see the inclusion of techs like Ball Games, Piracy, and Imperialism.

Yuurei.

Mr Black:
I am still on my Holidays (I'll be back on Monday). I am sorry that I didn't answer before - but I see that it didn't matter that much since you helped me out so nicely. :) It is also very interesting to see all the feedback! Thank you!
As to the Asian settler which costs no population, this is definitely a bug. It was supposed to be a foot unit so that the Japanese cold colonize the Pacific Islands before inventing map making, but other than that it should be just as the regular settler. Maybe this is also the reason for the rapid Chinese expansion... I will post a new version as soon as I get back, but since no other nations (except Korea) use the Asian Settler, the remaining 20 having the regular one, and the map fills up quickly, I hope that this is not as serious as it might have been... If you'd like, you could, of course, post a fixed version sooner! :)

Yuurei:
The reason that you cannot build the Pyramids in the scenario is that they are pre-placed in Memfis (Egypt), as they were historically. You can still build Step Pyramid, and it does not require any resource that is not in the game. If you play the mod on a random map, you should have access to both. As you point out, you have to build the Step Pyramid first, though.
The relic can actually be sacrificed, but you have to invent Communism or Fascism first. They enable sacrifices of captured workers - and cultural treasures. Since the relic requires no upkeep, waiting that long is not really a problem. If you don't want to wait that long, another option is to scrap it for 60 shields.
As to the other suggestions, they are interesting, but I would have to check that they do not upset the game balance first.

Happy New Year everyone!

Top Bottom