EM6 RPNES- The Quest of the Sceptre

Erik Mesoy

Core Tester / Intern
With all respects to this thread, I hereby open the second of its kind.

For the very very short version, skip to post 5.

The Year is 38 APT (=After Peace Treaty.)
Nigh on two generations of Men have passed since the elven Mages of Kaleh intervened in the war of Orcs, Trolls, Humans and Dwarves, forcing both sides to negotiate.
After war threatened to tear the world apart, an uneasy peace has been restored, which has lasted... until now. War threatens to break out everywhere.

In the Paldian Isles, Lord Rohk has declared himself ruler of all the isles, and has already convinced two to his side.
On Grindor, the merchants are setting up blockades, backstabbing, murdering and poisoning- all usual tricks of the trade, but they now go to such an extreme as to warrant a war.
And in the land of Gwili, the Orcs and Dwarves are skirmishing at the borders, muttering over their ale and conspiring to break the peace...
You are the heroes, visited in a dream by Celanru, Archmage of Kaleh. Your first quest is to... (fill in noble quest here.)

End story, skip to rules.

• No Spamming! Only RP about the Sceptre Quest here.
  • No flamming! Respect the other people here in the world.
  • No arguing! Role-playing is permitted but actual arguing is not permitted.
  • I will add rules if they are needed.
  • No overpowered things. Of course nobody would say "I jump 5 miles into the air and drop an atom bomb on the orcs", but I also want you to avoid things like "I go crazy and invoke the mightiest magic in the world to destroy the enemy army".
  • Anyone who does not abide by the rules (3 strikes) will be asked to leave the RP.
  • You may speak for other characters, but not their actions, or important dialogue points.

The nature of this: First, invent a heroic quest. Once more than 3 chars have completed theirs, go help the others.
Then, I will mod you onto a quest to find the Sceptre, which the mages need to restore the peace.
What you will do afterwards: I'll give you a list of choices. Pick freely.

I've seen that the last one probably faild due to being too strange. So, I'll attempt to compare to known NES things.

Here is your character template, just like a nation template.
Char Name/CFC nick:
Homeland:
Race:
Class:
Alignment:
Money:
Strength
Agility
Hitpoints
Lore
Intelligence
Charisma

Here's what they do:
Homeland is the land your char comes from. If signing up early, you may choose a country from the map and name it.
Race is your character's race. Again, if signing up early, the country you choose will be assumed a homeland of that race. You may choose between Orc, Troll, Human, Dwarf, Elf.
Class What your char is. A sorcerer, a thief, an assassin, a geomancer, an alchemist, a mindcrafter, a blacksmith. The possibilities are endless.
Alignment How good or evil your char is. AnarchyRulz would have a score of -10 here.
Money This is like economy and measured in GB (Gold Bars), meaning it will not have large and uncontrollable numbers. You start with nothing.

The Stats:
When creating a character, you will have 40 points to assign to the following stats.
Strength Your character's brute force. Think of it like army size. Everybody needs some, what good is a warrior who cannot lift his sword, or a mage what cannot lift his books of spells?
Agility Accuracy, ability to dodge. This is like army training. Again, all types need it, what good is any kind of attack if you miss?
Hitpoints This is you character's life force. When it drops to 0, you are dead. It is equal to six times the points assigned to it. As before, you must have some.
Lore and Intelligence. These are like Education and Diplomacy. They need some explaining, and maybe better names. The distinction here is confusing, but important.
Lore is your knowledge of ancient stories, of great spells, your ability to find reason for your arguments, and your capacity to remember.
Intelligence affects your ability to concentrate on casting a spell, to talk your way out of things, pick up new skills, think up lies quickly, and realize danger.
Charisma This defines whether you're good-looking, easy to trust and/or talk smoothly.

You can increase stats the way you would in a normal NES. 2pts per update is the max increase.
Strength (STR), Agility (AGI) and Hitpoints (HIT) are increased by fighting monsters, e.g. "I fight an Ogre and gain 1hit!"
Lore(LOR), intelligence(INT) and Charisma(CHR) are increased by- dread this- telling good stories. The story must be 10 lines per point and set within the context of what your char is doing.

Some example characters, and what they might do:
Gwilina the Thief, has added 10pts to Charisma, Intelligence and Agility, her quest to recover the Banner of Kalanet might be accomplished by assassinating a sentinal, bribing a guard, then stealing the Banner and sneaking out before anybody even knows that she's been there.
Aoltar the Mage: 10pts in Lore and Intelligence, 8 in Agility and Hitpoints. He might have to slay a dragon, and would approach its cave, cast a powerful ward against flame, then avoid and/or teleport from its attacks, realize where its weak point is, then direct a spell there and kill it.
Deleth the Blacksmith: 10 strength/hitpoints/charisma, 5 lore and accuracy. He can forge his own magic weapons and spellbound armor, trust in them absolutely, and therefore feel little fear when upon a quest.

Reserved for history and major events.

Character List
As of Update 6

Gladinia: Garlranna the Orc Mage of Rarlgland.
Alignment +3
STR 8, AGI 7, HIT 12(72), LOR 8, INT 7, CHR 5.
Money: 1 Gold Bar

Finmaster: Finmaster the Half-Orc Barbarian of Finnolandia, who is on a quest to find something that will irrigate the northern lands for him.
Alignment 0
STR 11, AGI 8, HIT 16(96), LOR 5, INT 5, CHR 7.
Money: 1 Gold Bar.

erez87:Erez the Gifted Human of (blank), who is on a quest to find "The Defenders".
Alignment 0
STR 5, AGI 6, HIT 7(42), LOR 4, INT 14, CHR 10.

nivi: Julan the Orc Which crafter of Grindor, who is on a quest to slay the dreadful monster Bal'Thazor.
Alignment 0
STR 8, AGI 7, HIT 11(48), LOR 5, INT 12, CHR 6.

Suka:Jeriko, the human Privateer of Rysander. Looking for the mystical "propeller".
Alignment -1
STR 9, AGI 10, HIT 5 (30), LOR 5, INT 5, CHR 4.
Money: 3 Gold Bars.

Edit.
This seems to be very unpopular. Erez suggested it's too complicated, so here's the simple version for those who want it:

Post "I'm {NAME} the {RACE}{CLASS} from {LAND,COLOR}"
Post a heroic quest you are setting out on.
I'll set up the rest of the stuff for you, like stats.
Then I'll update the map by naming the country you chose. It will be a homeland for your race if you sign up early.

Post, please.

Garlranna- added. Please specify a race.

Everybody else watching- the 60 views I got- can you please tell me what's wrong? Why is nearly nobody signing up?

Char Name/CFC nick: Finmaster
Homeland: Finnolandia (red, in the north)
Race: Half-Orc
Class: Barbarian
Alignment: I'm a bad guy, -7
Money: I have no idea. Maybe I missed that part of the rules.
Strength: 8
Agility: 6
Hitpoints: 12
Lore: 5
Intelligence: 4
Charisma: 5

Heroic quest: Finmaster the Barbarian got tired of irrigating the cold land of the north and is now on a mission to take over the entire continent of Grindor.

I'm Erez the Gifted from Kaleh.
I'm Human.
My aim at life is to find my ancectors with are called "The Defenders". I am poor and have no family right now.
My only gift is that I can learn to do anything... tought I'm poor so finding a teacher is hard.
I'm not a bad guy or a good.

Erez, *like I told you*, you can't start on Kaleh.
The arch mages=Moderators. OK?

First update- 38 APT, January

In Finnolandia, Finmaster's name spreads far and wide beacuse of his refusal to irrigate more

In Rarlgland, Garlranna becomes a hero, her quest to find a magical ring is spoken of in all the taverns and pubs.

In ( ), Erez the Gifted becomes renowned for his willingness to learn anything.

Now, go fight monsters, tell tall tales, and be generally heroic.
When fighting monsters, you enter the monster you want to fight and stat you want to train by fighting it. I will determine HP loss.
You regain 6 hp an update, but this can increase greatly if you find a skilled healer or a magical healing potion.

Here is your character template, just like a nation template.
Char Name/CFC nick: Julan
Homeland: Grindor
Race: Orcs
Class: Which crafter
alignment: 5
Money: 0 (?)

Strength: 5
Agility:5
Hitpoints: 10
Lore: 5
Intelligence: 10
Charisma: 5

Julan is on a quest to track and kill the monster named bal'thazor.
It is rumerd to have killed dozons of humen and a handfull of orcs.
The monster lays in the outskirts of lorderon. (now i need to tell how the battle goes?)

Julan, while on the road to the city, kept doing a battle scenario in his head, factoring in that an unbelievably powerfull warrior and freind, Nemo couldn't beat the beast. He knew he is going to have to rely on his magic and wit, but even that would not be enough to defeat the foul creature.
So, instead of taking the shortcut to the place where the creature hides, he gone the longer but better in 2 ways: a)It was much more secured from bandits, b) There is a place where Julan's buddy from high school teaches the martial arts.

'Whaaaaaaaaa' a man in a mask screamed while running toward julan, julan couldnn't react fast enough to cast a very simple block spell. The man jumped on Julan, forcing him to the ground.
They fought long and hard, but with one good kick to the guts Julan crumbled under the pain.

'Are you alright?' the man asked
Julan, with his vision still blurry from being knocked unconscious said 'yes, but why did you attack me?'
'To test you, i know of your quest'
'Wait, no way, is it realy you? arthur?' julan's eyes lit up when asking this.
'Yes, it is me, and i am going to teach you a couple things in fighting hand to hand.'

OOC:So, from this i get +STR+AGI+CHA-HIT?

Nivi, you've got the spirit of this, GREAT!

Since it's a training fight you'll only lose 1 hitpoints from the kick in the guts, its martial arts so agility will increase, and you told a story (even if it was a bit short) so your charisma will increase.

Your heroic quest to kill the monster is supposed to come a little later in the story. Think of it as an age advancement in a 4kBC NES, since it marks a new phase for your character (nation).

Edit... P.S.
Lorderon, lorderon, lorderon... I know that name.
OH RIGHT! You've been playing Warcraft II, haven't you? I loved that game!

It's not easy being a barbarian half-orc in a land where most people are either dwarfs or humans and make their living by irrigating land. But Finmaster the Barbarian decided to give it a shot anyway - and very soon he learned to hate that decision of his. He was hated among the villagers, and considered evil because of being half-orc as well as a "warmongerer", as the villagers called Barbarians. He was known as a bad person. And maybe it was a self-fulfilling prophecy: when nobody liked him, when he had no friends and no lovers, when he was ugly and worked his arsch off to get something growing out of the cold dirt of northern Finnolandia, he soon learned to hate himself and everyone else as well. He became, to put it in one word, evil.

One day he got tired of it. "FUCK THIS SHIT!" He yelled and threw his mattock down. He walked away from his farm and - for the first time in 10 years - took his sword with him. "I'll show them!" he yelled. "I'll show them and kick their little arsches!" he yelled and run away with a sword on his hand. "I will not rest and I will not sleep until I have found a way to irrigate this stupid northern land!" he yelled while he ran.

He ran miles and miles towards the southwest. "If I cannot find love, then at least I'll find vengeance - and maybe a way to irrigate the land more easily while I'm at it", this evil and ugly half-orc thought to himself while he ran.

"But.. where am I running?" he suddenly stopped to ask himself one day. He realized that there wasn't a single place on the continent which he would have wanted to see. He didn't want to see land. He HATED land, and everyone on it. Then it hit him!

"The sea!!!" He yell and realized that he was very close to the coastal city of New Turku. There, in the big commercial metropolis, he quickly found the kind of ship in which he wanted to travel in. He marched straight into the boat, where he was greeted by the captain.

"Yarr, get the fuck outta my ship you little piece of shit, you are uglier than my mother and she was one ugly daughterofa*****!" yelled the captain.

"I'm looking for a job and I won't leave without getting one", Finmaster answered calmly.

"I'm not giving it to you", said the captain.

"Then you'll DIE!!" yelled Finmaster and rose his sword towards the skies.

And soon he was surrounded by 10 big sailors, and a HUGE fight followed on the deck of that big ship! Would he win, or would he die before his journey even started? Only the moderator can tell!

OOC: If someone has something to say about the swearing of my story... I'm trying to write about unstopping depression of an ugly loser who, from his anger, finds the will to rise from ashes. But it requires certain kind of atmosphere, and swearing is a part in creating it.

OOC II: This is a great NES, join in people!

And the story continues:

Being surrounded by ten strong human sailors would seem like an impossible mission, but Finmaster had several advantages: he was a half-orc - much stronger and bigger than any of the sailors around him - and he had a great sword, not to mention that he had absolutely nothing to lose as he hated his life, so he didn't fear for it. He felt no fear at all. Plus, he had a plan: his idea was first to wait for the surrounders to come closer, looking scared, and then suddenly run towards one of them and slaughter him into pieces, and then continue taking out the surprised attackers until they'd run away because of fear and surprise.

And maybe ask some of them to stay in the boat before they'd run to the shore, promising them a big salary. Because he didn't want to sail all by himself, he needed a bit of a crew as well..

But before that, the great fight was still ahead of him!

Originally posted by Erik Mesoy

Edit... P.S.
Lorderon, lorderon, lorderon... I know that name.
OH RIGHT! You've been playing Warcraft II, haven't you? I loved that game!

Yep, that is correct.
This looks a bit like the game so i thought i might as well come up with names from it.

Update 2 - 38 APT, February
Just so you know, hp increases are calculated at beginning of turn, then you lose hp during them.

Finmaster takes on a bunch of sailors. He gains 1 STR and 1 HIT in stats from fighting. He loses 14 hits in the battle.

Finmaster glanced coolly around him as the sailors formed a clumsy ring, all waiting for each other to attack first. "Well, get him mates!" screamed the captain, but nobody moved.
Suddenly Finmaster charged to his left like a streak of lightning, crashing into one sailor and forcing to others to jump aside. His sword flashed in the sunlight, staining with blood as the sailor was dismembered.
The two others attempted to hit him, but were effectively weaponless, since the crude belaying pins used aboard ship did little to an Orc's tough hide. They died within moments. This seemed to compel the others into a battle rage. Some threw knives, one sticking in Finmaster's arm. He howled with rage.
The battle continued until Finmaster remembered why he had roginially come here. Suddenly he blinked. The captain lay dead at his feet, and the last three sailors were running into a cabin, barricading themselves.
"Come out," shouted Finmaster. "I killed your mates because you attacked me. If you come out, you'll be promoted and can sail the ship directly under my command."
The sailors came out, armed with some rusty swords and looking distrsutful, but they complied. As the ship set sail, Finmaster smiled. At last he was out on the sea.

Nivi meets his old friend who his now a martial arts trainer. He gains 1 AGI as they practice and 1 CHR as they share tales and tricks. He loses 1hp in the training fight.

They were on the training ground. "Alright Julan, here I come!" shouted Arthur. His left hand whipped around, and Julan barely managed to deflect with his right elbow. Julan countered with a high kick, which Arthur jumped to avoid. "I see you haven't forgotten much! But do you remember this?" Arthur closed again, seized Julan's shoulder with his fist, then turned around and and put his leg in front of him, making Julan trip and fall to the ground.
"The counter is to move your other leg away, then push me backwards." Julan made no answer, only kicked out at Arthur, who effortlessly caught his leg and pulled, making Julan fall down again. "Loose legs are dangerous," grinned Arthur. "Don't worry, you'll have the knack of this within a day or two."

Erez, Gladinia, no orders? I was expecting more orders during the first few days...

If you want other stats increased than those I gave, post them in your orders.

Top Bottom