How Did This City Grow so Fast ?

Old&Slow

Chieftain
AI City sitting on a Flood Plain, it grew from a size 3 to 7 in about 12 turns. No other settler units added either.

No improvements or city buildings and has a Pop of 280,000+ :eek:

Never worked like that for me....

Attachments

• screen03.jpg
    screen03.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 341
You must be in a Golden Age, because those tiles are producing 3 food, when they usually produce 2. The land does not look irrigated or railroaded which would explain it. All cities have the potential to grow this fast. and it would grow much faster with a granary, until you needed to build a Hospital. My questions is: How did it grow past size 6 without an Aqueduct? And I assume that it cannot grow past size 12 without a Hospital, unless you have modded this.

and in republic to get rid of the tile penalty

Yeah, taking all of that into account(and add to the fact this is a dutch city that is producing one extra food on its city tile), that city was producing twice its needed food when it was at 3 population points. Easily explainable. I doubt it will grow very quickly now, since it will require more food to grow, and not nearly enough floodplains to maintain its growth rate.

Agreed, Daarkseid. With 7 citizens, and producing 15 food, it has only one left to go toward growth. And with only 1 shield per turn production, it will be a long time before it can make any "happy" buildings to help get rid of those Entertainers and put them to work. ;)

Agricultural Civs also produce more food on desert tiles if the tiles are irigated then other Civs.

RealGoober> GA Adds only shield and trade, not food. You don't need an aqueduct to grow to size 12 when you have access to fresh water - i.e. lake or river.

At size 3, it produces 12 food and eats 6 food, so there is 6 excess food. I assume you have food storage to start with and it grows the next turn.

At size 4, it produces 15 food and eats 8 with excess of 7. So it will grow in 3 turn.

At size 5, it produces 18 food and eats 10 with excess of 8. It will again grow in 3 turn.

At size 6, it can only still produce 18 food due to only having 5 flood plain tiles and will eat 10 food. So, the excess is 6. You grow in 4 turns.

So, 1+3+3+4 = 11. You grow 4 pop in 12 turns.

Appreciate all the reply`s :) Really learned a great deal on city growth and it`s relationship to terrain tiles.

To be clear it`s an AI Civ city, not mine.

Altough I`m surprised it didn`t get " sickness " and knock down the POP since it`s on a Flood Plain.

Originally posted by Qitai
RealGoober> GA Adds only shield and trade, not food. You don't need an aqueduct to grow to size 12 when you have access to fresh water - i.e. lake or river.

Ah-ha, you learn new things everyday. I was wondering why some cities randomly grow past Size 6, this makes that make sense. And it is interesting to note that Disease hasn't taken down the citie's population.

The risk of disease seems less than most people think. In fact, in my current game I've had about 6 cities on Floodplains since the Ancient Age, have since reached Sanitation and in all that time did not experience disease a single time. Floodplains are a most excellent terrain. :worship: Either that or I'm just lucky.

Incidentally, one of my cities is size 25 now and still growing every 2 turns! :goodjob:

Top Bottom