Game of the Month SGs - Discussion Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Minor points on your ettiquette section:

Wholesale changes to build are definitely called for in certain circumstances. Usually however these circumstances are discussed - such as a decision to go to war.

I also think it quite appropriate to switch builds when you have a strong and valid reason to do so. However, then you should supply a good reason for your decision in the log. The player before you may learn something new. (like the time you switched all my library builds to settlers, rushed them and got the domination victory in 1 turn instead of the 5 it would have taken me :lol:)

In other words, build changes are not forbidden, even on a larger scale, however it should be discussed ahead of time if it is a change in emphasis or direction of the game or specific reasons for changing said build should be clearly stated so that players can learn (this will most often occur when a skilled player follows one who is learning the game).

One of the key points of succesion games is that people do have different ways of playing which teaches one different ways of approachign the game.

Another etiquette point: Read any previous discussion and the previous players turn. (hopefully said player summarized very important parts in the final notes). This will avoid having good plans started by one player continuing with the next.

------------------------
One use of govenors: Keeping cities that you are suppressing resistance to rioting seems an exceptable use. They should be turned off at the end of a player turn (so the next player can decide).

I have also seen that empasize X (not govenor -but on same screen - it tells whether to emphasize food or shields) seems allowed.
----------------------------------
I also think there are definitely times when making trades on your last turn is called for. If you feel an attack is a good idea next turn and want to get a tech so the units can be upgraded before the war starts, then by all means trade for that tech.

Also obvious trades might as well be done by the first player. It is only when the trades may be in doubt or the trades determine the direction of the game that it really needs to be discussed/left to the next player. I am sure this varies from player to player.
----------------------------
Another nice ettiquette. Don't leave significant units like leaders fortified. Other problems are things like workers fortified in town, boats fortified, etc.
-------------
Another two:

If something comes up during your turns that is a difficult decision, then it is completely appropriate to stop playing so a discussion can occur on the best path to follow.

Be polite and constructive on you comments on game play. (if your sentence starts: "Who was the goober-nose that ... "; its a bad sign).

--------------------

Anyway good luck to ya all. Unfortunately, my SG schedule is too full to join at the moment. :(

Thanks for the characteristically well considered input Greebley :thumbsup:

I take all of your points. The rules are too black and white. I will try to find a better form of words. I'll also include your other points.

Again, thank you.

So... Just to warm you up for next month :D

How can I persuade you lot that it would be a really great idea to download the modern GOTM mod?

Maybe I can thrift the graphics part of the download somewhat - if the staff agree - to minimise the download.
It'll be worth it I promise.

For those that the download is a problem for... could I ask you to take the time to explain your difficulty please. (cost, poor connection, can't be bothered etc.)

Thanks.

mad-bax said:
How can I persuade you lot that it would be a really great idea to download the modern GOTM mod?
As someone whose first GOTM was 30, my $0.02: Avoid the ones between 16 and 21...perhaps avoid the ones all the way up to 25. The big downloads were a pain, but if you do it all at once, you've only got about 5 files that need to be tracked to switch between 'classic' vanilla and GOTM (once you get everything installed.) The modpacks for 21-25 have install utilities that work pretty well, IMO. The 'intermediate' mod ups (mod downs for those playing current GsOTM) could get confusing and create administrative headaches. I say do it all at once, and be done with it. Ainwood has mentioned the possibility of a utility to do the swapping, this might be an opportune time to bring that up with him.

mad-bax said:

For those that the download is a problem for... could I ask you to take the time to explain your difficulty please. (cost, poor connection, can't be bothered etc.)

Thanks.

I reccomend money, or at least free beer.:D

Can't be bothered. I don't want to go through the hassle of a long download, then setting up another directory so the GOTM dowloads won't mess with my SGs that are ongoing in 1.29 & 1.27

Gengis Khan said:
... so the GOTM dowloads won't mess with my SGs that are ongoing in 1.29 & 1.27
If by "1.27" you mean [ptw] 1.27f, then that's one excuse I can shoot down. The downloads install as a scenario for [ptw] and don't modify the standard game in any way!

I don't have a problem downloading anything. My issue would be if I had to switch files around. As long as the download doesn't mess with my out of the box setups, it doesn't matter to me.

Gengis Khan said:
I reccomend money, or at least free beer.:D

Can't be bothered. I don't want to go through the hassle of a long download, then setting up another directory so the GOTM dowloads won't mess with my SGs that are ongoing in 1.29 & 1.27
The modern ones (gotm21+) don't do anything like that. they are strictly stand alone and will create thier own directories under the scenarios folder. just make sure you pick your civilization folder (not ptw) as the install point when opening the self installing files. i'm not saying it isn't a little tricky since there are updates every month to the pediacons.txt file, but i'm sure you can handle it and i'm 100% sure it will not interfere with your normal games, though the free beer will help convince a lot more people ;)

Well you guys put some of my fears at bay, I'm still holding out for some free drinks though.:p

Here ya go Gengis:

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Now go download the mods. :p

Well, it would be nice if we could just get packs together that are a snapshot of the state of play at the beginning of ainwoods reign, with one download for each software version, and a front end batch-file cum utility for vanilla that allows you to select between SGOTM and standard. The downloads will be much smaller, and easier to install and live with. The only downside is that crackers maps will be effectively unplayable (no backward compatibility).

To GK and all the others who need a little more prodding:

I'll make you a deal, if you download the files and something doesn't work, I'll give you a free beer. Just show up at my house (I live in California, close to LA) and between the hours of 1-2pm on the fifth Friday in February and I'll be happy to pour you a cold one.

:beer:

You guys can show up at my house any evening. We'll go down by the Gonzaga campus and I'll buy you a :beer: I live in Spokane, if anyone can figure how to get here.

Oh BTW, when you figure how to get here, figure out how to leave, and maybe I'll come with you. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom