SGOTM1-Persia Team Slinger

Status
Not open for further replies.

mad-bax

Deity
GOTM Staff
Welcome to your SGOTM1 game thread.

First some procedural stuff.
Although the rules for SGOTM have not been set in stone yet, we will be playing to the rules listed >>HERE<<
Please take the time to read them.

Here is a reminder of your start position

Here are the two saves.

SGOTM1-CivIII1.29f

SGOTM1-PTW1.27f

IMPORTANT REMINDER
The file naming format that you use to pass the game on must be rigidly adhered to in order to prevent games getting mixed up.

Name your save files like this

SGOTM1TEAMNAME-DATE.SAV

For example - SGOTM1STAFF-3000BC.SAV

Later on it may be possible to submit the saved games through the GOTM server for scoring purposes. Alanh will have special requirements for doing this which will be made clear at that time.

Roster

gozpel
offa
barbslinger
microbe
Solar Knight

The order shown above is not the order you must play. When you have decided on your order of play I will amend the Roster above.

The first player plays to the end of the 3000BC turn (turn 20)
Everyone else plays 10 turns from there. Please try to stick to this. People finishing on the wrong turn is my biggest headache believe it or not.

EDIT: 3000BC is turn 20 of course

Here is the proposed roster order, contact me with any requests:

Gozpel
Offa
Barbslinger
Microbe
Solarknight

This is always war so a couple things to note before getting started but will also have to be verified that other AW are following.
1. We must declare upon meeting another civ. We can make some trades prior but the declaration is next.
2. Exploring initially should be limited to finding city spots close to capital. Delaying contact to get our intial empire up and running is important. The longer we can delay the stronger we will be.

Thoughts on the strategy. Bee-line to IW then chivalry. I think our offense 4 world conquering immortals will be dominant and I'm hoping through the luck of a couple armies we can win this right about the time chivalry comes in or before. Usually math for cats is important but in my tests on similar settings my cats could never keep up nor were they really needed. I finished one game in 1100 AD just rampaging with little MM'ing. Good luck to all and let the immortals rampage the earth.

Barbslinger, the rules I use for AW are a little different to standard, and I apologise for the confusion.

You do not have to declare war on the turn you meet a civ. Instead you must declare war before closing the diplomacy window for the first time with a given civ. This way when you meet a civ you have a choice. Declare war now, or wait a while. If you wait you risk the civ contacting you IBT which may kill your one and only trading opportunity.

I think it was Cartouche Bee who first ran AW games with this rule. The rule is explained in the rules section which is linked in the first post.

I'm here and ready to go, somehow I ended up starting the game? That's fine.

But what version are we playing, PTW or Civ3?

Are we playing 5CC always war, then it means we can't keep a city even for a turn, right? Well. not after we have 5 cities anyways.

Where should we move the settler first? And stuff like that. What are your thoughts?

5CC gives a one level bonus above the AW but is the lack of citizenry worth the one level? I don't think so. This is a competition and though it would be fun to attempt it I think that a quick conquest keeping towns and growing rapidly will be the way to go. What does everyone else think?

Im here guys,

This will be my first serious AW game, but im a fast learner.

I've just finished GOTM 30 so this game can get my full Civ attention. Will we be up to the challenge of the Persians on Regent?

I did play through this game a couple of years ago, which won't make any difference to my play later on, but would have made me feel uneasy about taking the opening moves, as I have a little "extra" knowledge. Starting with research of iron working is pretty clear though.

This my first SG, and my first go at AW. Presumably we shouldn't explore too much early on as we don't want to meet people until we are ready.

I presumed we are playing AW, not a 5CC. I think we should stick with this. The game should be a blast.

Originally posted by Offa
Starting with research of iron working is pretty clear though.
Offa, do you think we should get a granary going with pottery research out of the hole? I know pottery is the standard gambit in most any game and I'm trying to figure why IW would be first. Without 2-3 towns our research ability will be negligible and we may be looking at 40 turns for IW. If we can get a granary utilizing a forest chop we could get more towns laid down quicker, to increase research ability, and get pottery and IW sooner than we could get IW and pottery.
Another point that just popped in my head is that if we do get IW first do would we have any town big enough to support the building of more expensive immortals?

As Persians we can research IW straight away. Immortals ( assuming iron is available are quite pricey) but will be overwhelmingly strong against regent opponents, so hopefuuly the AI will build towns for us.

The need for granaries is not straight forward and depends very much on local food resources. Sir Pleb wrote about this in some detail a few months ago and my current practice is based on my imperfect understanding of this. Basically a granary doubles food production in a city, so if the same food excess could be produced in a new city, then you should build a settler not a granary: eg if a town has a food surplus of only 2, then you shouldn't build a granary if any local site could also offer a +2 surplus.

The start is all important here though, so good luck Gozpel. I suppose we should build a warrior first but a barracks early on would be nice. After IW, depending on our situation, we need to consider whether we are going to need boats.

I have a very clear idea about the best initial moves, but am not sure I would do the best thing without prior knowledge so I won't share my thoughts about this any more.

I can play either. I prefer PTW. Let's see if anyone has any objections on PTW, e.g. no disk.
As for your city placement I would prefer grass over plains. Looks like some forest chops a coming for granary.

Ok, I wait.

I will move the worker to the BG to see how the land is around there. Depending on what I see, I probably move the settler to the hill NE or the forest SE. 4 or 5 forests will be enough for granary and barracks chops.

Don't really know about the granary yet though, we might need military fairly soon.

If we want a granary, we have to reseach Pottery of course. Then IW will have to wait for 10-15? turns.

In my experience with AW it is wise to only explore tiles where a possible 2nd city will go. Don't actively seek out contact. As long as no contacts are made we should build granary brax. Optimally we can get 2-4 towns down before first contact with a granary and a brax in capital. Explore the surrounding area where a town can go and bring him home for MP. The longer we can delay contact the better. They will be building infrastructure instead of units which helps us. As soon as war mode kicks in they will be producing military primarily. Since this is regent and we can outproduce them I see this game as a rather quick mugging in the park, IF, we have iron. Once we get immortals building in 4-5 towns we can work on the AI to capture a second core.

The teams in the original signup had "vanilla" posted next to their names to accomodate the vanilla players. I'm pretty sure MB grouped us as PTW.
BTW, microbe is out until the 11th so he will be pushed back in the order until he returns.
Good luck on getting our feet planted Gozpel!

Good luck in maybe finishing a granary in my 20 turns?

I'm not that a lousy player, mate! :)

I get on with it then, might be tied up tomorrow.

The Save

4000bc - Move worker E to the BG, Not much land that way. Settler goes SE to the forest. I thought of moving to the hill NE, but I want as many workable landtiles as possible for the capital.

3950bc - Persepolis founded -> warrior. Worker road.
Research Pottery at max - 14 turns.

3900bc - ---

3850bc - Road finished, mine.

3800bc - ---

3750bc - ---

3700bc - Persepolis warrior -> barracks. Warrior Bubba goes SW. Worker done mine, move to forest. We have 4 furs nearby, 2 will be in expanded borders, but it seem to be plains under those fur/forest tiles.

3650bc - Worker start chop. Bubba stands next to goodyhut.

3600bc - Erh? Bubba trips the goodyhut and we get a settler! What to do, what to do?
I didn't expect barbs on regent, maybe a tech or maps, but not a settler.
I could join him in Persepolis, but I rather have another city and move him W to the coast.
You can roll me in tar and feathers later.

3550bc - Pasgadae founded -> warrior. Almost renamed the city to Gozpelby, but ah well.

3500bc - The people are happy and lay a new lawn in front of our cave.
Bubba moves SW, he will check out the surrounding area only.

3450bc - IT - We learn Pottery -> IW at max in 20 turns.
P-Polis borders expand.
Switch to granary in P-Polis. Bubba moves S, spots a choke. Is this an island or a funny continent? We may have to go for MapMaking soon. But players ordered IW ASAP, and that's what I do. Follow advice that is :)

3400bc - Worker done chopping, road grass tile.

3350bc - ---

3300bc - Pasgadae warrior -> warrior. New warrior Egg will check out the north a bit.
Worker done roading, move to next forest to chop.

3250bc - Worker starts chopping.

3200bc - ---

3150bc - Bubba spots green borders, should he go and say hello?

3100bc - Persepolis granary -> barracks. Work starts chopping away again.
Bubba walks back in his own footprints. Egg spots a goodyhut, Egg likes that.

3050bc - Pasgadae warrior -> warrior. New warrior to P-Polis for MP duties.

3000bc - Worker done chop, road. Persepolis granary -> barracks.
Egg pops GH and get maps, there are dyes up north!

Well, wasn't this a quick turnset. :)

Worker should chop next forest to get the barracks faster.

We have 9 turns left on IW-research.
We have 13g in the kitty, doing -1 got due to research.

Pasgadae will build another warrior, then we could have use for another worker.
P-Polis will grow next turn to pop 3, so check happiness until warrior arrives, after barracks a settler should be great.
We want a city right on the choke and fortify it well and we want to build a few cities north as well, to grab those dyes.

When I see the map here, block that choke with Bubba and more units. And then build a city there, with a couple of spears. That should be invincible :)

Well done Gozpel in GOTM 29! You are clearly extremely good at going for the quick kill, even if you don't like it. A quick kill is what we need here.

Sounds like a great start :goodjob:
A settler from the hut: superb.
I see you didn't believe me about going straight to IW, and not needing a granary. Your latent builder tendencies are perhaps resurfacing?

I will aim to play tonight, after midnight if necessary (at work now). I appreciate being able to play my turns before Easter gets going, and quite understand if the game stalls for a while during the holiday.

Thank you akots, but it's a watered down ale, when SirPleb and Qitai and others didn't participate. I take a 5th place and cheer, but with the great players I would've been around 10th, I believe.

I'm much more happy with the 2 culture-medals in the last two games. I will never beat the rough dominators by playing Open.
And I very much dislike Predator, so that's my choice.

Gotm30 was fun though, 15 cities by 1000bc gives strength.

Ok, to the game.

That was totally unexpected, to get a settler and kind of threw me off for a second. Should I send him to mix with the Capital or build a new city?

I chose the latter, first for military purposes, second for defense.

P-polis is good as it is.

I want a city on that choke, with lots of military and we have the north for ourselves.

If you wonder about all the raods and no mines, it's all about commerce for research. The mines will be done without movement losses.

What are those rules...first play 20, next play 10?

Play 15-20 if you want Offa, what can MB do?

Disqualify us....rofl!

I've downloaded the save and will play tonight sometime. Those green borders in the South are disturbing. From the space race screen our rivals are Aztecs, Babs, Zulus, Iro and Americans so the green border must be the Aztecs with their jag warriors. This wouldn't bother me if we weren't playing AW, but a couple of lucky jags could kill Team Slinger at this stage. So well done at avoiding contact.

I would like to swap Persepolis to build a worker to help out our overworked existing chap before I build the barracks. Any objections?

Pasargadae seems to have little hope of growing beyond size 2 so we should probably try to build workers there. A lot better than wasting the settler by joining the capital though. There isn't much food about is there?

It would be nice to avoid war before immortals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom