SESN01 - The Poor Warmongering Fools

SesnOfWthr

True Believer
I have seen a couple variants similar to this pop up in recent days, but here's the way I've been kicking it around .....

Version - C3C v1.15b
Difficulty - Monarch
Size - Standard
Landmass - Continents
Climate - Random
Civ - TBD - *Scandinavia selected*
Opponents - 7 random
AI Agression - Normal
Culturally linked - Off
Preserve random seed - On
Respawn AI - Off
Barbs - Roaming
Victory Conditions - Conquest, Domination

Variant - We will be doing plenty of warring, however, all wars will be fought as "poor men's wars". What that means is that we will NOT be connecting any strategic resources for the course of the game. Startegic resources are, of course, resources that enable building of certain units. ie iron, aluminum, etc. Our cities can work those tiles that contain said resources, but we can not road those tiles. If we capture terriotry that has such a resource connected, the roads must be pillaged. If such a resource happens to appear under one of our cities, the city must be abandoned.

I realize that we will also be penalized by not having access to railroads, but I see no way around it. We will be able to use railroads we capture.

Civ -- For this game, we will choose one of the civs that do not need any resource for their UU. That last is, I believe:

Aztec, Babylon, Byzantine, Carthage, Greece, Inca, India, Iroquois, Maya, Portugal, Scandinavia, Sumeria, and Zululand.

Rules - We will be playing using Lkendter's rule set. His ruleset can be viewed in post #2 here: LK65
I would add another to his: please do not sign up unless you are committed to seeing the game through. Although skips/replacements can't always be avoided, I would appreciate any and all attempts to play your turns in time.

So, have I forgotten anything?

Roster
SesnOfWthr
Microbe
Bede
grs
Cuivienen
M60A3TTS

Glad to have you aboard Microbe. :)

One vote for the Vikings. (I think their UU would be the most useful too, but I'll tally more votes)

A couple things I forgot:
I have no intention of rerolling the start unless it's absolutely abyssmal
Looking for 5-6 total players (Monarch+ plz)

Not a sign up, but ...

Egypt requires Horses to build War Chariots, so they aren't an option.

The units you are able to build are: Warrior, Spear, Archer, Longbow, Rifle, Guerilla, TOW Infantry. You can also build Catapults, Trebs, and (oddly) Artillery. Cannons get skipped.

I think the biggest problem you are going to have is that you have no defensive unit in the Middle Ages. Knights (or heaven forbid, Cavalry) against Spears will be no fun. So I'd suggest Greece, so you get cheap Pikemen that will ensure you won't lose early, and you get a defensive unit that can stand up until the Industrial Age. It also gives you pillaging armies that the AI probably won't attack until Tanks.

The Vikings would be an interesting choice, but AW is primarily a defensive game.

@T_McC - thanx for pointing that out, Egypt has been editted.

As far as the AW, no I didn't intend to have any AW type of restrictions as I feel that would push the game beyond my capabilities. Obviously though, there will be a significant amount of headbashing. :hammer:

I had also thought of Greece (and Carthage) as second tier civ choices for their defensive capabilities but I was thinking that the Berserks offensive advantage outweighed it. I liked the two movement of the Elephant, as we will not be able build any other fast units.

Originally posted by T_McC

I think I found a new variant ...

Does that mean you are interested now, or am I doing the misreading now? :hmm:

I think you guys should take Greece: Hoplites have the same defence value as Pikemen and that's going to be crucial in the game you're intend to play.

I'll take the shilling, Sesn.

Vikings would be fun, attack six in early MA, or Greece, defense three from the beginning.

Always a welcome addition, Bede.

2-3 more and we can nail down the civ and get rolling.

Originally posted by T_McC
Sorry Sesn, I'm all booked up and have to take a pass on this game.

Although it's always fun to play with Bede. :whipped:

Must be busy to pass up a chance to watch me bail from the boat again!!! :)

What are going to do when 10 turns in, you pop wheel from a hut, and find out your capital is built on horses?. :p :lol:

Originally posted by Matt_G
What are going to do when 10 turns in, you pop wheel from a hut, and find out your capital is built on horses?. :p :lol:

By the time I was done, I'd probably have to go PC shopping. :hammer:

I suggest we relax the rules a little bit.

We can have resources hooked up as long as we don't build units requiring them. We can also trade those resources away to avoid using them by mistake. Thus horses will not be a problem (it will not shadow any units we want to build).

Originally posted by microbe

We can have resources hooked up as long as we don't build units requiring them. We can also trade those resources away to avoid using them by mistake. Thus horses will not be a problem (it will not shadow any units we want to build).

But then,,, we wouldn't be so poor.

Originally posted by microbe

I think the only real detriment with the method I suggested is the lack of rails in our core.

The problems I see with this suggestion are: what if no one wants to buy our goods, or no one needs them? What if we wnat to build some spears, but we currently have an untraded iron hooked up? I think it would be more trouble than its worth to constantly be hooking up, then pillaging tiles as trades deem necessary.

The whole point is to simulate not even having the choice of the resources, and/or units.

Short of rails and units, what other benefits are those resources going to gain us?

If people feel strongly, I am willing to consider a change, but for now, at least until the spots are filled, it should stay.

The whole point is to simulate not even having the choice of the resources, and/or units.

Short of rails and units, what other benefits are those resources going to gain us?

I think it would be desirable in case when the resources are directly under a city and we want the city (which could be our productive city, or a captured wonder city, or any city we want).

For example, in case of a wonder city, we can keep the city but pillage its road to other cities and never build disallowed units in this city.

It's just more choice. Do you really want to abandon a city or even our capital because a resource appears under it?

Don't get me wrong - if you really think we should, I can live with that. But I just want to make sure that's the original intent and we are all aware of the consequences.

Top Bottom