New Unit: Cuchulainn July 28, 2004

Kinboat

Conan the Librarian
Taken in whole or in part from the Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology celtic section. I parphrased a lot of the entry so it really isn't a direct quote.

"Cuchulainn, champion warrior of Ulster. His name means 'the Hound of Culann'. He gained this name after killing the ferocious guard dog of the Ulster Smith Culann. His host having lost a faithful guardian, Cuchulainn (at the time called Setanta) offered to take the hound's place. He was forever afterword nicknamed the Hound of Culann. Cuchulainn is known as the Irish Achilles, a larger-than-life fighter whose bouts of temper often caused grief to himself and others. Cuchulainn was unbeatable in combat, until his last campaign, a single-handed defence of Ulster against the army of Queen Medb of Connacht. Even though one arm was withered by a curse and he lost the support of the Goddess Morrigan he slowed the advance of Queen Medb until Ulster could rally it's forces. However their help came too late. Pressed on all sides he was overcome in spite of aid from his divine father, the sun god Lugh. Suffering from a terrible stomach wound Cuchulainn tied himself to a boulder so he could fight to his last breath. The Goddess Morrigan landed on his shoulder in the form of a crow, signaling his death, whereupon his enemies cut off his head and right hand.

His exploits were so widespread that they may have influenced the development of the Arthurian myths in Britian and France."

There are plans for versions of this guy with a spear, axe, and bow. Like my other Hero Unit, Achilles, the attacks all cycle on their own. This enables you to use any number of the attacks in any order (just one... one and then a second repeating, or all three).

File: 1018kb
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads8/Cuchulainn.zip

Preview: (Fortify, AttackA, AttackB, AttackC, Victory)

Attachments

• Cuchulainn_Attacks.gif
    Cuchulainn_Attacks.gif
    198.2 KB · Views: 5,409
awesome :D

Excellent, Kinboat, I see you've finished that guy you previewed a while back. Top notch work, as usual. I'm using him in my FF mod, as I had planned when you first made the previews. Thank you very much.

:eek: Jaw-drop stunning! Incredible, even for your standards, Kinboat.

:confused: Am I the only one getting just an .ini and attackA file?
I tried dl'ing twice, both times I get a message (winrar) saying 'unexpected
end of file'.

was this based/made from the
"hero or whatever"

you previewd earlier?

now the celtic/(whatever it belongs to) will have a culture group swordsman.
(euros? euro-savages.. hum... )

Question- what exactley are you ging to work on next... the initials "M.L" seem inspireing... :mischief: :mischief: :mischief:

I keep thinking that I should get better at my 3d rendering program and try my hand at a few units, but this is so good, it makes me think: "what's the use?" Excellent work!

Kinboat, you seem to be looking for your limits, but I doubt you'll ever find them. :) Keep looking though as the results are amazing. I especially like the idea of stowing away the weapons. That's the reason I love your units - small touches.

God Money: If it doesn't work I'd suggest waiting until an off peak time and try again. I just tested it and it downloaded for me.

IbnSina: Please give it a try. I'm sure all the creators here would welcome someone else to take the pressure off us :D

Xen: Yeah the M.L. is there on the list... Plus the Bond versions, these version (a little later), The lottery winner (half of the model is done). And I'm sure I'm forgetting something :D

Drift: This did turn out to be one of my favorite (to look at not to animate). That overhand sword draw was a bear to animate. And without a weapon in his hands I had a tough time figuring out what to do for the fidget :D

Top Bottom