GOTM 34 Pre-Game Discussion

Please ainwood don't place China as our neighbour again. At the moment i have no tactic to beat them. :crazyeye:

Move Settler SE/E to the coast and pick up the Wines and BG on expansion? Or is this just another trick to fool us into not moving much?

[Edit] Or is there Game hidden in one of those forests...?

Neil. :cool:

klarius said:
I see game SE, but where is the cow ;) .

You have better eyes than me! But if there is Game there, then a SE move is on the cards for sure.

I had a look zoomed in, and there isn't any game. Here is a shot from SGOTM2 with Game, horns visible:

Here is the shot of this start, no horns visible:

-0blivion- said:
I had a look zoomed in, and there isn't any game.
Too bad then I have to revise my strategy :( .
So it's a conservative worker SW, settler SE if no cow lurks.
Other wise I would have started with worker E.

EDIT:
On the other side the coastal access would also be nice for a second town.
To the west could also be a good location for the capital.

Plains north and northeast, by the looks of it... I may attempt to pull the worker west or southwest to see if there is anything that strikes my fancy. And if not, it looks like I may go with ainwood's rather evil suggestion to settle-in-place. May Heaven have mercy on my soul... :)

Akane said:
And if not, it looks like I may go with ainwood's rather evil suggestion to settle-in-place. May Heaven have mercy on my soul... :)
Settling in place is not a good idea IMO.
You have many shields but not much food. Note the plain wines cannot be irrigated for additional food in Despotism. They just serve the same purpose as a BG.
You are blocking coastal access for other good cities (if this really is a coast).
So either free the coast by going west or go for the coast with the capital.

Akane said:
...it looks like I may go with ainwood's rather evil suggestion to settle-in-place. May Heaven have mercy on my soul...

I would give you a :rotfl:, except that your statement is pure truth, so instead you get a :( .

Worker SE for a look-see is my guess for first move.

Reveals the game, the cow, fresh water lake, and fish. ;)

klarius said:
Settling in place is not a good idea IMO.
You have many shields but not much food. Note the plain wines cannot be irrigated for additional food in Despotism. They just serve the same purpose as a BG.
You are blocking coastal access for other good cities (if this really is a coast).
So either free the coast by going west or go for the coast with the capital.

At least looking at the number of shields that can be grabbed, this may be a decent way to get a 20k win going. Besides, as you already remarked, there may not be a coast over there anyway... it may be a lake. I guess we'll find out what happens once more squares are uncovered...

There is a startling lack of good grassland all the way around this map. Depending on the barbarians, some early workers may be extremely imperative no matter the direction you take.

Rethorical questions:

Is that a real evil leer by ainwood, a "fake us out" evil leer, or a Dirty-Harry style "Is this a Monarch game with goodies just around the corner or a game with no iron or horses on this huge continent game? In all the excitement, I clean forgot. Do you feel lucky, PUNK!" leer?

Akane said:
At least looking at the number of shields that can be grabbed, this may be a decent way to get a 20k win going.
20K would make a coast even more desireable and you would also want to grab the southern hill

Akane said:
There is a startling lack of good grassland all the way around this map. Depending on the barbarians, some early workers may be extremely imperative no matter the direction you take.
I have a totally different impression. There is a lot of grass SW. The wines can be worked with 2f 1s 2g even before improved. Only food is missing and that could be SW.

Klarius said:
I have a totally different impression. There is a lot of grass SW. The wines can be worked with 2f 1s 2g even before improved. Only food is missing and that could be SW.

Also located SW is at least one mountain. I'm not an experienced fog-gazer, but there could be more lurking down there as well... When Ainwood gives some more information about the map, we can speculate as to the amounts of everything to the southwest.

And as I look at the map, this is extremely similar to starts I've had when I started on arid and 3 billion-year-old worlds. I'm curious if this bears out when we get that info...

I think for maximum exploration, the worker should go W, N, or E. E will uncover the water and tell us if it's salt or fresh, and also uncover 7+ tiles. N and W will uncover at least 5 tiles (more if there are hills or mountains beyond those 5). Moving E is problematic if it doesn't show anything good because the worker will have to move 2 more steps back to a good tile to work. W will show some of the grassland and see if there is more grass and river that way. N is going to uncover more plains, and puts the worker on a workable tile, but I believe ainwood said this game will be on Monarchy (think it was in the COTM/GOTM difficulty thread), so we won't need the lux connected until we grow to size 3.

Having said all that, I think I probably will actually move the worker E, just because it uncovers more fog. If I don't see anything I will likely move the settler W, especially if the water turns out to be coast (to allow more distance for coastal towns in RCP ring). This will also put more river tiles in the capital radius. Then the worker will probably head for the BG (SW,W to uncover one more tile).

I'll move the worker SW, because if I'm moving my Settler it will be to the coast and the first tile I'll want to work is the BG. The Settler will still go SE.

That puts the worker on the wines in time for border expansion, unless we're Industrious :rolleyes:

It is a deity level with no horses and iron around (and do not dream about cattle) on a small pangaea map with many rivals. So many people complained about COTM3. I think someone (lets not use names:)) may want to demonstrate that things can be worse :)
...The best strategy is not to build any cities, but run run run....

Top Bottom