19.1 KB · Views: 1,798
Preview removed to clear up space.

Here's a pic I based the model on.

Attachments

• bb63_03_02.jpg
    bb63_03_02.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 4,608
Wow!!! I like it :goodjob:

When do you come to your first russian modern ship ???

Panzer_Blitz said:
Wow, thats a nice unit. Didn't know battleships were being reto-fitted with new weapon systems...

In the 1980s, the US brought back all four Iowa class battleships out of mothballs. They were upgraded with modern electronics, computers, tomahawk and harpoon missiles. Then, in the early nineties (90-92), they were again decommissoned. The Missouri BB63 and New Jersey BB62 are now museums and the Iowa BB61 and Wisconsin BB64 are on the US Navy's inactive reserve list just in case duty calls again.

John Falkner, I still have that Kirov model sitting on my shelf, just have to get around to it. I just bought a North Carolina BB a few weeks a go. I can't give any ETA's, epsecially since my wife and I had a 'spirited' discussion about my computer time, and it looks like, for my own good, I have to reprioritize my time and how it's spent.

vingrjoe said:
I can't give any ETA's, epsecially since my wife and I had a 'spirited' discussion about my computer time, and it looks like, for my own good, I have to reprioritize my time and how it's spent.

Wife, which wife :mischief: I haven´t seen my own one for a couple of days I think, only because I have begun a new Civ game ;)
(hope she doesn´t read this :blush: )

Steph said:
Ah... They are the same everywhere in the world... But what could we do without them?

Playing Civ every time we want ???!!! :D

Hi All

This looks fantasic. I have nver installed a mod.
How do install this Mod and does it on appear for the American Civ or all civs.

thanks!

valamas said:
Hi All

This looks fantasic. I have nver installed a mod.
How do install this Mod and does it on appear for the American Civ or all civs.

thanks!

It's too long to explain how to do in a thread.. You can refer to the thread:

Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION III > Civ3 - Creation & Customization > Unit Graphics > How to Add/Use These New Units

Here is the link:

How to Add/Use These New Units

Please feel free to send me PM for any question ;) and have fun modifying your CIV3!

Yes, the explotion in the Death animation is great, but the ship appears almost unharmed after the explotion and before sinking; look at the attached picture (it losts only the radar tower) ...
I think the ship has more damages after a so big explotion...
however very nice unit! :goodjob:

Attachments

• Iowa.jpg
    Iowa.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 4,093
I think it looks great, it would be better if that stern deck plate was a little lighter, looks like asphault to me.... but it still looks great

The whole death animation pushed my computer to it's limits. I was mainly concerned with the explosion more than the damage inflicted. I figured the ship sinks pretty quickly after the explosion, so adding in alot of damage wouldn't be worth the labor. The current damage includes the forward mast destruction, the forward funnel cap destruction and the aft funnel destruction.

The stern deck plating was metal coated with a skid-proof material, (close to what's used on carrier flight decks), so that's why it looks like asphalt.

vingrjoe said:
critism is most beneficial in the preview forum when the unit is a work in progress, not a finished unit.

I'm sorry if you are annoyed with my observation; the problem is that I visit these forums rarely (look at my posts stat!) and I have seen your Battleships from "This Week's New Civ3 Downloads"; however the sense of my post is: "This unit is great (and I add it to my mod :) ), but, if you in the future will create a modern Iowa Battleship revision 1.2 , why don't you etc. etc."; nobody wants you discard your work and restart! :) :) :) :) :) :)

10lire, I apologize for being somewhat irritable. I'm glad you and others, overall enjoy my unit(s). You brought up a good point there about future revisions. If there is a revision 1.2, I will keep your suggestion in mind.

10lire said:
Yes, the explotion in the Death animation is great, but the ship appears almost unharmed after the explotion and before sinking; look at the attached picture (it losts only the radar tower) ...
I think the ship has more damages after a so big explotion...
however very nice unit! :goodjob:
In defence of VJ, what you asked is easier said than done. It depends on the program being used. And most of the time it is a lot of extra trouble for sometimes few rewards.

I didn't think I'd be making a new revision for quite a while, but it was brought to my attention that my ships had a grainy, fuzzy look to them. I personally didn't notice fuzziness, but I did notice my units have jagged edges. Now I don't really like post-release critism, but even I will, from time to time, agree with it. So, starting with the newest revised Iowas, I'm making new renderings using new settings in 3DMax. So now units should be smoother and more clear. The Kirov is on hold until I get both new Iowa revisions done, then I will finish the Kirov, and then proceed to cleanup my other ships. So here is revision 1.1a of the modern Iowa.
Thanks to Wyrmshadow for referring me to Ripptide and thanks to Ripptide for the helpful info on Max filters.

Updated file links and preview in post #1 of this thread. The file is in two parts.

A wonderful work of art vingrjoe, I really enjoy the death scene too. It's good to see a wide spread.

By the way, would you happen to have a PT boat in the works? I haven't found one that launches torpedoes yet.

Once again, great job as always.

Top Bottom