StNNES III: Ruins of Empires

@north King, i'm afraid i have to quit as Shang cuz i dun have enough time now that school starts...sry.

Updates actually are liable to get much more infrequent, probably every weekend, as I am about to start school as well. But if you still think so, then sorry to see you go.

To Arabia
From Egypt

Egypt will teach you our system of Writing in exchange for two economies.

Huh? nvm then! Long Live Shang!

Generally I update a new NES often to get it off the ground quickly, then I slow down.

just ta make sure, the updat eis this weekend right? i really cant fit good orders if its in the middle of the week; things are just to hectic, with school, and another hurricane on the horizon

I'll send in orders a little later, i woudl have early, but a new hurrican, that has the potential to be another hurrican andrew in the horizon, and that is, obviouslly, taking up mos to f my concern; if for soem reason I am unable to make orders, please have tartessos & co act in a way that is along the same good quality of which I would have included in my orders (DO NOT make NPC however, I have every intention of coming back to this NES, and no hurricane can stop me at that ;))

I'm pretty sure the update comes today or tommorrow... So if any haven't sent in orders (I'm not sure who hasn't...), then please do so.

Update 5: 1500 BCE

In China, the nation of Shang readies itself for an epic battle. They march out, about 1100 strong. The Qin Army marches to meet them, 740 strong, with many of their troops on the frontier. They meet near the city of Xi’an. See spotlight for details...

Both Arab nations are growing quite nicely, Arabia proper annexing the strip of desert known as Hadramaut, their exiled brothers getting rich off of trade. Meanwhile, Arabia proper has discovered Iron and writing, while the exiled Arabs in Abyssinia discover an efficient numbering system based on the number ten and, with contact with the Harrappans, they have also a number zero.

In Kush, the Queen Shiva has risen to the throne and proved her worth by ordering two highly successful expeditions to the south, meeting the city-state of Damot and also expanding up the Nile, which results in a small economic boom.

Egypt’s golden age continues, with the new Pharaoh raising a large contingent of War Chariots, perhaps the largest army ever seen, and also conquering the last of the Mitanni. Rumors reach the court at Alexandria of a war between Assyria and Babylon, but Egypt itself is at peace, and all goes well, the irrigation project nearing completion.

Carthage loses its main leadership, and this essential component to the Tin route is raided daily by Berber nomads, but no matter, the Tin Route itself has collapsed, the new Age of Iron being everywhere. Lybia is nearly destroyed, and Carthaginian interests abroad have failed, the new city-state of Athens created, which rises to dominate a good portion of the sea commerce.

Tartessos, its leader out to sea and rumored to be battling a tropical storm out in the mid Atlantic, pushes back the Allemange raids, as does its neighbor Lusitania. The Allemange seem to be aware of the Pyrenees, and are instead of goin near them, invaded Italy, completely destroying Genua in a few days of vicious battle, the Allemange mobility taking them completely by surprise.

The Picts invade the Irenii, and nothing much comes to pass, the invasion goes uneventfully. The general, interpreting his orders to make a forced march, arrives early but too tired to attack the Irenii capital. While this would not have succeeded against their stone walls with that force, it will be even harder now as the Irenii reinforce their walls.

On the steppes, the Khazars drive back the Scythians in a surprise attack, and with the latter fending off a Sarmatian attack in addition, it seems the Khazars have halted the steppe nomad advance, and Europe is no longer their prey. Many Scythian people flee to Persia, where they set up a semi-civilized kingdom there.

On the other side of the steppes, the Mongol horse archers prove a valuable asset, and defeat many similarly armed Xiongnu with their superior tactics and discipline, though their attempts to woo the Xiongnu have been met with no response, their emissary appearing to have been sacrificed to the horse god.

Spotlight: The Battle of Xi’an.

On the hot summer day of August 11, 1511 BCE in the plains of the region formerly known as Han, maneuvers started between the hostile Shang and Qin. The two armies found themselves drawn up in a much similar fashion, with spearmen in the center and cavalry on the flanks, the standard deployment.

To the sound of the drums and gongs, the hundreds of Shang infantry advanced, and came up frightfully fast to meet the Qin infantry in heated combat, each side losing many before it even began to archers raining down arrows into the densely packed formations of spearmen. A great resounding crash echoed throughout the valley as the two sides met, spear against spear, phalanx against phalanx, men shredded and slaughtered by both spears and arrows still raining down on both sides. The fight was fearsome, but with a slight numerical advantage, the Qin seemed to be winning.

As this was happening, the cavalry met on the flanks, riding to the sound of the trumpets, fearsome and fast, as they met the Shang immediately seemed to gain the upper hand, and they plowed through to face the enemy chariots, much more heavily armed then them. Losing many horsemen to the chariots, they still pressed onward, breaking through. They then wheeled and charged home against the enemy spearmen’s flanks, and the Qin infantry were caught in a grand pincer movement. In a little under an hour, the Qin army was shattered, all of them either dead, wounded, or fleeing for their life, deserting the battlefield.

It was a grand victory for the Shang, and the Qin are hastening to sue for peace.

Losses: Shang-200 Spearmen, 500 UU, Qin-500 spearmen, 100 archers, 40 chariots, and 200 light horsemen.

DIPLO:

To: Picts

No.

To: Kush

Sure.

To: Egypt

Sure.

PRICES:

For each economy:

100 Bronze Age spearmen
100 Bronze Age archers
100 Bronze Age Light Horse
100 Bronze Age UUs
10 Bronze Age Chariots
10 Bronze Age Galleys

300 Iron Age spearmen
300 Iron Age swordsmen
300 Iron Age archers
300 Iron Age Light Horse
300 Iron Age Horse Archers
150 Iron Age Cataphracts
300 Iron Age UUs
30 Iron Age Chariots
30 Iron Age Triremes

Any other stat growth: 1

Mosts list has been updated.

New section: Famous battles

OOC: Guys, if you want a trade route, put it in your orders. Both your orders. And you have to spend two economies on them.

The Map...

Attachments

• NNES3.0.GIF
    NNES3.0.GIF
    81.6 KB · Views: 182
OOC: where are the Qin sueing for peace?

I knew I forgot something.

To: Shang

We propose peace at prewar borders.

To Qin
From Emperor Chi Kernu
We are already near prewar borders, give me one good reason why I should not continue to advance into the Qin Homeland.

We will drive you back, as we have done every other invader into our home.

OOC: Hmm...i'm going to die later for this at the lands of Shi-Huangdi rite?

To Qin
From Emperor Chi Kernu

Of course you will, we only have a slight addition to the treaty, we ask that you pay 1 economy for the damages and destruction you have caused.

Done.

OOC: You have 1000 years or so to unite China against his coming, you know.

OOC: i know, but i'm just kinda paranoid...Maybe i should wipe Qin from the face of the earth rite now....hmm.... When will the timeline be updated btw.

Shang Orders
Continue wonder
Spend 2 economy on 600 Swordsmen
Spend 1 economy on 300 UU
Spend 1 economy Education, have the emphasis put on also educating the sons of the farmers, not just the wealthy ppl
Have 300 Spearmen, 150 Swordsmen and 100 UU attack the Thais, advance at night, try to make sure not very many Thais knows that we are coming to get them....

Story later.....

Top Bottom