C3C PBEM : "Zama" - Rise of Rome scenario-based PBEM

LouLong

In love with Rei Ayanami
*** GAME FINISHED ***

Carthage forfeited after a massive Roman advance, meaning the game is virtually over.

Zama, famous and decisive land defeat of the Carthginians will be the name of this new Rise of Rome scenario mostly aimed at newbees. Newbees means new to PBEMs, at least on CFC, not your experience as a player.

One experienced player would be a nice addition to help around.

It is a balanced and fast PBEM (only 4 human players).

It is for Conquests, using the MP version of the Rise of Rome scenario and the patch 1.22.
So you need to have both Conquests and the patch 1.22 installed on your computer.

Civs will be attributed randomly normally but you can state your prefered civ and if they don't contredict you will probably get it.

Carthage -
Celts - AI
Egypt - AI
Goths - AI
Macedonia -
Persia -
Rome -
Scythes - AI

Players : 8 (Celts, Goths, Scythes and Egypt will be played by AI)

1. ~Corsair#01~ (Carthage ?)
2. Justus II
3. Romeothemonk (Greece ?)
4. WarningU2
5. AI
6. AI
7. AI
8. AI

You want to be in ? You have further questions ? Post in this thread or send me a PM. If ready to join, send me a PM with your e-mail.
You can also check the sticky thread "newbee guide" where you can find tons of informations on how PBEM works, what you can do and what you should not do, etc... but if it is not clear enough, you can ask here and we will answer you (we are a community of friendly and helpful people).

Organization : the game will be called Zama to be recognizable and when you get the game, send a mail to inform the sender you got it.

I'd like to be Carthage...unless anyone else wants it.
EDIT- What difficulty is the game? I have no problem with high AI, but I do find the happiness penalties at high levels to be rather irritating... :eek:

What do you mean by Newbie? Difficulty level or PBEM experience? I'm interested, and have never played PBEM before, although I am used to higher difficulty levels, I've played this conquest twice on Diety. I'd like to get started on a PBEM Civ game (played other PBEM strategy games, sometimes for months, but not civ). If that's OK, sign me up (any civ is fine). If it's geared for lower levels, that's OK too. Thanks!

Justus, edited the first post. You are right, newbee is not that clear. It means newbee to PBEM (at least on CFC), not newbee to Civ (possible but likely a disaster).

About the level, you can discuss that among yourselves but basically here it will only have an effect on happy/unhappy citizens. No real Ai bonus and your main opponents are humans which can be much worst than deity ! Basically whatever the level you play SP at you can play in a PBEM.

Regent/Monarch is ok I guess but depends on what you prefer and on the others.

Thanks for the clarification, in that case definitely count me in! :) As for level, I'm fine with whatever you decide, I know it won't affect the other players, but would give a boost to the minor powers (Egypt/Gaul etc).

Am I too experienced for this? If not, could I play as Greece?

No pb. As I wrote in the first post one experienced player would be a good idea (but it means some responsibility too : make sure the game is going, answering questions and giving advice, even to Persia !).

OK, game full. Too late for Amenhotep to confirm in this one...

Justus II and WarningU2, do you have preferences for the civs.

I will prepare the game for Romeothemonk to start it since he is the more experienced around. AP off, level probably monarch (except if someone complains !).
When I get everybody's civ preferences I will send the welcome e-mail with the order of play, everybody's e-mail (for diplomacy and sending the saves) and the special advice for this scenario (for instance no diplo with the AI for the first 10 turns, I will explain why).

@Warning : did not need to write down your e-mail in the thread. I had it already and robots are always trying to find e-mail addresses... Hope you don't get too much spam or that CFC is well protected.

OK, that leaves Rome for me. :)

EDIT: You may already be aware of this, but do make sure to start a Large-size game before creating the save, to ensure the corruption and tech rate settings are correct. See the link in my sig regarding the World Size bug, with this Conquest in particular, it can cause the effective corruption rates to more than double if the world size is carried over from a tiny/small map.

I think Justus has to start as Rome moves first.
I usually use a huge map before any conquest, as Tech rate is immaterial to me, but corruption is very real and very annoying.

Huge map is fine with me, as the RoR map has more land area than even a 'normal' large map, and reducing the corruption settings is good. Everyone OK with Monarch for the AI setting?

Zama has Commenced! I've taken my first turn and sent it to Romeothemonk of Macedon. Peaceful Rome asks the world to support their righteous struggle against the aggressions of Hannibal the Cannibal of Carthage!! :eek:

Per Loulong's notice, I did not initiate any diplomacy with the AI, and since I'm not really familiar with PBEM yet, I didn't try any in-game offers to my fellow leaders, but I'm interested in hearing any offers! ;)

I have the save, but I have no idea what the Carthage password is...could someone tell me? PM/Email. :)
Also, I appeal to all to aid me in my glorious struggle against the evil Roman invaders, etc.;)

EDIT- Actually, it's ok. :)

A question for the group. What should our policy on AI worker purchases be? Obviously we had no AI diplomacy the first turn, but what about after that? I know it can cripple their development, so I usually avoid it in my normal epic games, at least until they build up a while, but the AI start with more cities/units here also. I would propose no AI worker purchases for at least the first 10 turns (coinciding with our no AI alliances/war terms), but what does everyone else think?

I think I've already emailed everyone about this, but I'm still having trouble with the save file. I've received it from Corsair, but when I open it, it shows the turn as still being 350BC, even though my shields have accumulated and my new production pops up. But it is still the first turn (Turn 0, according to F8), and my units are showing they have already moved. I've posted a new thread to Ask for Help.

Meanwhile, Loulong suggested we try to back up and have Corsair (Carthage) replay his turn, and see if the game will update the save file with the correct year. Some other suggestions he made were to check that we are all at the same patch (v1.22), and that you exit all the way out of civ before loading the PBEM file (i.e. not loading from within a single player game). Corsair, if you don't have the save, WarningU2 (Persia) can resend it.

Actually, my cities had production when I played my save too.
Pic 1.
Pic 2.EDIT-Damn photobucket resized them. Best use glasses for these pictures. ;)
I've never played PBEM before, so I just assumed it was normal. :hmm:
My units were OK, though.:confused:

Top Bottom