• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The Trade Department - Term 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill_in_PDX

Grumpy Submariner
This is the thread for all matters pertaining to trade involving our glorious empire.

Our Staff

Leader: Bill_in_PDX
Deputy: Earl of Chester
Chat Rep.: donsig

Our Policies (Last Update 4/19/02):

1) Acquisition through cultural control of, and road connection to, all resources and luxuries in our civilization territory.

2) Be aggressive in acquiring new knowledge advancements through the trade of gold or luxuries (if able).

3) Never trade resources during the early era's that enable our neighbors to build forces dangerous to our national defense.

4) Never trade a technology that uncovers those critical resources or enables a rival to build a key wonder (such as the Great Library), unless that wonder is already built.

5) Never trade knowledge between turns, as the AI with trade that same tech to all known civ's. Instead, if it is safe to deal a tech, do so to all civ's on the same turn starting with the richest civ, consider granting it for free to a civ who cannot pay much (assuming we are in good financial health) in order to earn better relations.

6) Rarely trade away gold per turn, always look to gain gold per turn from other civs. Our philosophy is that a broke neighboring civ, is a civ ready to become a vassal.

7) Trading World Maps is very dependant upon situation, the locale of the trading civ, and the value of the data in the map. Tread warily here.

8) Trading Territory Maps is even more risky, and rarely useful to the human player. A neighboring civ who is moving forces near our borders and asks for a territory map trade is most certainly preparing for attack.

9) The Trade Department believes in coordinating it's efforts with the aims of our entire government. As such, we will work with the domestic, foreign, and military leaders to maintain continuity.

Bill
Trade Leader - Term 1

The Department of Trade (DOT) exists in both an advisory and tracking role.

In CIVIII the need to acquire, and preferably control, all types of resources and luxuries holds the key to success. Resources allow the building of an empire that can stand the test of time, from both a military and infrastructure standpoint. Luxuries, especially when multiple quantities are held, provide for the well being of all of our citizens, as in addition to making possible lucerative deals with other advanced civiliazations.

The DOT is different from other departments in that we do not directly control cities or territories, yet we do interact with all levels of the government in our role of maximizing our nation's trade.

Hey Bill
I'm your deputy for thid first term and aim to hopefully give you another opinion and some helpful pointers whenever I can and step into the breach if needed. I look forward to working with you for the good of the country and it's citizens :)

Originally posted by Earl Of Chester
Hey Bill
I'm your deputy for thid first term and aim to hopefully give you another opinion and some helpful pointers whenever I can and step into the breach if needed. I look forward to working with you for the good of the country and it's citizens :)

Welcome "Earl"!

Thanks for joining the team. The trade division will be pretty quiet in the early stages, but I anticipate all of us who love trade will have ample opportunity to help steer our empire to success.

I partly joined trade for that.... to be eased in gently but I still want to be involved in the cabinent positions. And we will be called upon along with the Science department when we start meeting other Civs. We are bound to need to do a bit of tech brokering early on :)

I'm wondering what you think of one of my Trade stradegies. I tend to sell off non-military techs very liberally in order to amass large amounts of gold per turn. Many times I have sold the same tech to nearly all of the other civs in one turn. This frees up more money for more research and luxuries, so that I'm collecting no taxes, just spending on research and luxuries to keep citizens like me happy, while I'm working on Cathedrals and such.

I realize the potential problems with this stradegy. We could lose the advantages we seek by getting so far ahead of the Comp, which means we will have to be very picky on what techs we give out, and try to make sure we are well ahead when we do this. Also, if we do use this stradegy it will likely come into play a long while after we get into it.

So what do you in the Trade Dept. think of this suggestion?

Originally posted by Falcon02
I'm wondering what you think of one of my Trade stradegies. I tend to sell off non-military techs very liberally in order to amass large amounts of gold per turn. Many times I have sold the same tech to nearly all of the other civs in one turn.

I am an aggressive trader of non-military techs, especially those that are merely stepping stones to other techs in the tree, but meaningless themselves. I usually will not do it though until I see one other civ with it.

If you are going do it, I agree, trade it to all Civ's on your turn (not between turns) for the AI will rapidly trade tech to everyone.

YMMV,

Bill
Trade Leader (Term 1)

I agree with all the pints made in the previous posts but we are likely to be behind in tech till we get (if we get) the GL. I tend to be more cautious about giving end of ear techs such as radio away as the advantage of getting the chocie of the new era techs can be quite major..... Our position will be easier as we are a Science Civ -Either Persia (My Fav) or Germany.

Proud followers of all things Trade related in our great empire:

We have started our quest to economic dominance, and the Gods of Luck have smiled upon us by providing exotic spices nearby our capitol city.

The scientists are researching the use of iron, something which promises to make our military force unrivaled through the development of Immortal battle teams.

This may seem like a quiet time in the trade world, as we do not yet know what other cultures we will encounter, but we of Trade must make our voices heard consistently to ensure that we are prepared to deal effectively with the rival civ's when that time arrives.

In the early game, our main trade commodities are gold, maps, and tech. I am NOT in favor of trading Iron Working at any point. Let those who disagree please come forward with your comments.

Bill
Trade Leader

As the founder, and current representative of the Spice Traders Guild (yes, I changed the name after seeing we have spice to start off with), I propose building roads to that other source of spice. Our merchants have been listening to our reseachers on the issue of iron, and feel that an additional source of spices could be benefical in acquiring iron from another civilization, in the worst case that we do not find any iron within our borders.

In addition, our merchants would like a city near some more luxury resources, and even gold.

we must expand to the sea, our people lie upon a rich and unblemished coast, learn map making, and begin the expansion beyond the great blue yonder.

I suggest we heavily explore and build cities around any and all luxeries we find!

Our glorious scout warriors have fought off violent barbarians and discovered more of our world.

It would seem that the spice traders will be quite satisfied to know that more deposits of that substance have been uncovered to the southeast of the capitol.

More intriguing is the discovery just north of Fox Nest of incense. The trade department policy will be to strongly press for establishment of a city near that luxury as soon as possible. That city location would be known as Yellow 2 on the President's current plan for city growth.

Objections to that policy of supporting yellow 2 should be posted here.

Bill
Trade Leader

More intriguing is the discovery just north of Fox Nest of incense. The trade department policy will be to strongly press for establishment of a city near that luxury as soon as possible.
Bill
Trade Leader

Well I concur that the incense should be in our greedy little hands asap.WE STILL NEED WORKERS.One worker doesn't make the grade

Deputy Hendrix

I also agree about needing extra workers. With more workers, we can connect those spices and other luxeries for trade. The guild has hired masons and builders to prepare for this stockpile of goods, and are eager to trade with other nations. Persian Spice shall become world renowned! :)

Originally posted by Chieftess
I also agree about needing extra workers. With more workers, we can connect those spices and other luxeries for trade. The guild has hired masons and builders to prepare for this stockpile of goods, and are eager to trade with other nations. Persian Spice shall become world renowned! :)
Persians? Who the heck are the Persians? ;)

Originally posted by Shaitan

Persians? Who the heck are the Persians? ;)

I thought I read that's what we were. Ok, Persian ethnicity. ;)

Phoenatican Persians. We're a majority ethinc group. ;)

Persia is the district where the Spice Traders Guild is.

All citizens interested in Trade matters should review the current summary of policies in the first message of this thread.

Thanks!

Bill
Trade Leader - Term 1

3) Never trade resources during the early era's that enable our neighbors to build forces dangerous to our national defense.

Sound's basically sound but what if get "an offer we can't refuse"

They'll give the shirt of their back sometimes and even at this difficulty level are slow to take advantage of new forces.

And those hills to south with the incense look like an ideal place for three or 4 "Factory" cities.They never get large but can turn out units because of their phenomanal shield prodution.
Mine,Mine and Mine.

6) Rarely trade away gold per turn, always look to gain gold per turn from other civs. Our philosophy is that a broke neighboring civ, is a civ ready to become a vassal.

Never pay gold per turn,take his gold per turn offer and change into lump sum(20*x)and discount it 10%,they'll usually take it.The only exception being if you are going to declare war on said civ.

Originally posted by marshalljames
Sound's basically sound but what if get "an offer we can't refuse"

Never pay gold per turn,take his gold per turn offer and change into lump sum(20*x)and discount it 10%,they'll usually take it.The only exception being if you are going to declare war on said civ.

When it comes to certain tech/resources, I haven't seen an offer worth the risk yet. Beware of the AI offering large gold per turn deals whiles massing swordsmen on your frontier.

Really the tech/resource combos I guard closely are Iron (obvious reasons), Rubber (Infantry), and Oil (Tanks).

I have traded them before, but only to allies in a war, and only after I have secured multiple sources. I have found that the AI will pay the most for tech's like Banking and Sanitation.

As to the gold/turn, we are thinking alike I believe. Trading away gold per turn is a last resort only. Taking gold per turn is something I like to do when possible.

Bill
Trade Leader

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom