UNIT: Cataphract

And here's a pic.

Attachments

• cataphract.gif
    cataphract.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 4,376
Originally posted by Quentin
Just wondering... what is a cataphract???

I'm not completely sure, but I do know that it is a unit Microsoft made up for Age of Empires and it is quite often surgically removed from people's eyeballs.:D

There really are too many of these units to incorporate as anything other than flavour units, or the game just becomes clogged up. Just re name this unit to another mounted unit that you wish to incorporate.

Originally posted by GhengisFarb

I'm not completely sure, but I do know that it is a unit Microsoft made up for Age of Empires and it is quite often surgically removed from people's eyeballs.:D

:lol: Cataract is removed from people's eyes. A Cataphract is a ancient greek heavy cavalry unit.

I think the distiction is that capaphract is a mounted unit that has armour for the horse also. dunno, have to look it up.

For any one interested in giving these AoE/AoK units sounds without having to muck about with .amb files Ive posted a few mixed wav files (taken from firaxis wav files linked together) in the unit sounds creation thread (or rather I am about to do so).
When you are tring to sort out the sound files for, like 8 new units, all you realy want is a few standard wav files just to make the unit playable. (I hate playing CIv III without sound).

Originally posted by Lab Monkey
There really are too many of these units to incorporate as anything other than flavour units, or the game just becomes clogged up. Just re name this unit to another mounted unit that you wish to incorporate.

Yes, I have added over 120 unit total for all four era. I had to go back in a limit some of the units too only AL. My cities building list got some long. I have added over 80 new city improvement and wonders, so you have to becareful not to over do it. I have slowed the game down (takes longer to reach the modern era) still testing.

Cataphracti were heavily armed (lance sword bow) and armoured (chainmail) calvary of the Byzantine empire used from about 582 to 1000 AD. If you were to use these units they should have higher stats than the normal "knight" or way more than "horsemen".

Jimmyh, if you're still around: i've noticed that the unit is a bit big. And it could do with a Fortify animation. Other than that, great work :b:

Originally posted by zulu9812
Jimmyh, if you're still around: i've noticed that the unit is a bit big. And it could do with a Fortify animation. Other than that, great work :b:

The unit comes as is. There's fotify avaliable with it and it can't be scaled.

Cataphracts were not Greek. They were used by quite a few nations, including persian Sassanids and Parthians, Armenians (Look up the battle of Tigranocerta), and most notably the Byzantines. They were cavalry of a region more than a nation and as such fought for many. They were, however, inferior to Knights in combat. More heavily armoured, but used spears not lances :)

actually, the ONLY respect that Cataphract were inferior to knights was in respect to the mounted charge- in actual melee, it was the cataphract who had the advantag- at least it was that way for the byzantine cataphracts, who, armed with the contos, a large two handed pike, used them for cuts, and thrusts, in a fashion sililer to fenceing rather then a simple cavalry charge

Yes, it's is based on JimmyH. I have tried to convert other AoK units too, but the programm (AoK Mod Pack Studio) puts out only asymmetrically images, which I can't handle :(.
About the Tarkan. There is a problem. I use the selection tools of psp 7/8 to edit the shadows. This save a lot of time. Especially the 'Select similar colors' function is very usefully. And this is the problem. The Tarkan has the same black hue in its body and legs as in the shadows. You have to use your hand to draw new the contours in the shadow area. And that's to much work :cry:.

Aluminum "I have also made modified versions for the most of JimmyH's AoK convertings. This are Janissary, Camel Warrior, Bombard Cannon, Woad Raider, Chu Konu, Mameluke, Throwing Axeman, Paladin, Eagle Warrior, Jaguar Warrior, Aztec Cleric and Halberdier. There are better alternatives now, but if someone wants it, I could post it too."

Yeah, please post them I'm sure people would like to have crisper units.

By the way if you still got AoK modpack studio and AoK installed, any chance you can send me the graphics for the mideast buildings (castle and imperial age) I'd like to use them as a format for making more city graphics. thanks!

looks great, but adding units is tooo hard

Top Bottom