New Unit - Swoop Commando

Lab Monkey

Peace thru ultraviolence!
Yeah, and YOU try and think af a name that doesn't come out of a B-movie, punk.

Well, this is my first unit to have been built from scratch for Civ3, and it may be my last, 'cause I really didn't enjoy working with the terrible Civ3 palette system (this unit looks so sweet in RGB mode, but Indexed? - Yuk), and the size of the units just isn't me.

You've got a bit of 'pedia text in here, plus Hover (default and run), Death, Fortify, and Attack animations.

It requires aluminium, treats all terrain as roads and (possibly) has 2 movement points as well to allow a retreat. I havn't game tested this yet, so tell us what it looks like. Also the civ colouring only really shows up in the attack animation (you'll see what I mean).

Attack should be considerably higher than defence.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• swoop commando.zip
    180.2 KB · Views: 477
Here's a pic. (fortify)

Attachments

• swoopfortify.gif
    swoopfortify.gif
    10.4 KB · Views: 2,537
Can you provide some info about how this unit should be used? The animation you posted only provides some tantalizing parts of this unit. How do you envision it being used? What are those things that seperate from the unit? Jet packs?

Okay. Here's the text file.

#PRTO_Swoop Commando
^
^
^[Swoop Commandos] Swoop Commandos are highly mobile special forces troops.
They can be inserted into the battlefied through [airdrops] or [amphibious assaults].
#DESC_PRTO_Swoop Commando
^
^A city must have Aluminium in it's strategic resource box to build a Swoop Commando
^
^Swoop Commandos were developed as a special forces rapid reaction outfit, in order to counter specific
problems encountered by regular commando units during search and destroy missions in hostile enemy territory.
Succesful miniaturisation of hydrogen fuel cells allowed for the creation of 'Jump Packs' capable of use
over long periods. This extra mobility allowed commando units rapid insertion into the field. Once there, they
were unhindered by bad terrain, and were more than capable of outmaneuvering any enemy unit, thus removing many
of the disadvantages of fighting the enemy 'in their own back yard'.

Armed with custom assault rifles and grenade launchers, the commandos execute arial attacks, bypassing traditional
defences such as land mines, razor wire, and basic fortifications. Defensively they are not as strong, their small
numbers forcing them to use speed as their principle survival technique.

Marines and paratroopers should upgrade to this unit, so it's not just the Hover Infantry from CTP2. Its next gen special forces.

Top Bottom