New Unit: Pictish Warrior

utahjazz7

Deity
Here's the Pictish Warrior. Gael requested it for a mod he's creating. I don't really know how it would fit into a normal CivIII game. I've personally given it to the Celts as an alternative to the Gallic Swordsman. Now the Celts can build both a Gallic Swordsman and a regular swordsman(Pictish Warrior). This doesn't sound like the best option though.

I've tested him "in-game," and everything seems to be working. The animation speeds seem pretty good and all. Well, hopefully, our Pictish companion will add a little more enjoyment to everyone's game.

This preview is for the third, latest version. December 7, 2003. Also, there is a frame out of order in the preview. It's not like that in the actual .flc animations.

Download. Animation Update.

Download the December 7, 2003 graphics.

To utahjazz7::goodjob:

The celts did not use archers, so you could use this as a Celt bronzeage swordsman that replaces the archer, which upgrades to the Gallic Swordsman with iron.

This is a quote taken from a website:
"Most Celts scorned the use of Armour and before about 300 B.C. preferred to fight naked. Some Celtic tribes still fought naked at the battle of Telamon in 225 B.C.

Just an idea.

:viking:

Very, very nice utahjazz7. :goodjob:

For those of you who like a little bit of history (and I'm sure that you all know by now that I am a history nut! :crazyeye: ), here is a quote from the "Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars" by Duncan Head about the Celts.....

"Polybius records the existance of a community of mercenary warriors living in the Alps near Rhone, under their two 'kings', who joined the invasion of Italy in 225 BC for pay and loot. They were called gaisatai, which Polybius says means 'mercenaries', but actually means 'spearmen' (gaesum is used in latin for javelins, especially Celtic ones; gae is a type of Irish spear). They represent a warrior order outside normal tribal society, providing mercenary infantry of notable courage and ferocity.
Nude fighting was common and perhaps universal among the early Celts, but this practice died out during the 3rd century BC. At the battle of Telamon in 225 BC in Etruria (in north-western Italy), only the mercenary gaisatai still fought nude, while the other Celtic tribes present such as the Insubres, Boii and Taurisci were partly clothed, and were of lesser quality. "

Well, I'm glad that the two of you like him. It's a pretty decent unit. I'll thank both of you for "droppin' some knowledge" about these Pictish warriors. I had never heard of them before.

Gael, I like that idea about using this unit as a replacement for archers. I would probalby keep the same upgrade paths though. Warriors upgrade to Gallic Swordsmen, and Pictish Warriors upgrade to Longbowmen. Or I was thinking of having the Pictish Warrior as a swordsman unit, and making the Gallic Swordsman as a Medieval Infantry.

What did y'all think of the PediaIcon? Oh, I don't want to toot my own horn too much, but I really like the PediaIcon I made for this unit. Well, that might make me seem like somewhat of a braggard, but . . . too bad. I like my PediaIcon. ;)

Here is the PediaIcon.
Gloat you braggard, gloat like you've never gloated before!:)

Attachments

• untitled-1 copy.jpg
    untitled-1 copy.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 5,142
Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about. See, he looks tall, slim, lithe . . . Thanks for posting the picture for me Gael.

If you are going to use this as a Celt unit, I would diffenitly have it earlier than the Gallic Swordsmen.
The celts never upgraded to longbow men.
This unit fills the space for anybody looking for a historically correct celt civ.

If you are looking for stats, ....I've no clue on numbers, but i would give him a very high attack, high mobility, really bad defence. Make him a kind of war band unit who is only good at attacking and conquering, but not defending and holding on to cities.

This way he could represent the the celtic expansion and dominance of europe in ancient times that was eventually over run by the more organised and stratigic forces of latter ages.

once again a superb fortify.flc!

Good job on the tatts also. I like how it says "mom" on his shoulder.

A small note for some: there is a difference between a Pict and the much broader term Celt. Several differences. It's of no consequence to the game, really, and the Picts may well have been Celtic, or partly Celtic. But mostly not, in likelihood; just culturally proximal and ultimately absorbed.

BTW, the tattoos got me to thinking that this fellow on a horse, with lighter hair and a bit of clothing... you got yerself an awesome Scythian rider. That's a unit I'd love to see someday.

Originally posted by Redking
once again a superb fortify.flc!
"A small note for some: there is a difference between a Pict and the much broader term Celt. Several differences. It's of no consequence to the game, really, and the Picts may well have been Celtic, or partly Celtic. But mostly not, in likelihood; just culturally proximal and ultimately absorbed."

I requested this unit for a specific mod that i'm making, but I made the request under 'Pictish warrior/Celt Fanatic', so that it would appeal to the civ already in the game.

The picts are believed to be a lot older than the celtic tribes that influenced/migrated/conquered, Britian. Thier roots are steeped in myth. From the little knoledge that historians have plucked together, they think they were plobably more related to the Megalithic/Iberians. They are effectively, the true Britians.

The whole running into war in the buff thing has been recorded. Whether this was from celtic influence, nobody really knows.
The whole, are they celts/are'nt they celts, comes from very small lines and quotes from Romans/British/ and Irish sources.
One of the main arguments is that an Irish monk needed a translater when talking to a Pictish king. There is also conflicting accounts of how they looked from Roman soldiers that were stationed on hadrians wall. Its basically a whole lot of arguments based on very little fact.

Wether they were celt or not, is still up for debate.
But they are still recorded as using the same fighting style as the continental celts. So this unit works for both.

Agree Gael, it's a fine unit for both. The only thing I'll add is that the Picts by all accounts were of small stature and dark: the "mesolithic" body type, megalith builders as you mentioned, older to Europe. And the Celtic ruling classes (the superstrate that presumably brought the language, it being Indo-European) were often described as tall and fair.

As to that fighting feature, it was also noted among some Germans and Wends (northern Slavs), I believe, so the unit could have even further application among other civs (personally, I don't like UUs - I give units to multiple civs).

As for it being Bronze Age, there is a slight problem in that it is a long sword and he's slashing. I'm not sure how I'm gonna incorporate this unit yet. I think this unit will be especially good in an ancient British Isles scenario. Is that the sort of mod you're planning???

Yeah, Its early days.
There is already a couple of scenerios on the same theme. I'm making this for my self, so there is no rush.
I've been wasting most of my free time lately making still leaderheads for it with poser.
I don't like playing scenerios that have the wrong face for the civ.
I like the details.

I think that a scenerio that is this localised depends on UU's, without them the game would be boring.

Just to complete the history part. A Roman historian (don't remember the name) said that the Celt warriors were very dangerous, and that 10 roman soldiers would have a very hard hard time fighting 1 celt warrior, and would be sure to lose should he call... his wife for help

Quote:
"And the Celtic ruling classes (the superstrate that presumably brought the language, it being Indo-European) were often described as tall and fair."

Apparently the Irish are from this stock, and believe me, we are not all tall, fair, and strong limbed. We are the most ackward, ugliest, race on the planet.
These discriptions have been taken from a handful of references, and even these seem to contradict each other. The 'Tall and fair' discription has been explained in other references as a Celtic warrior custom of bleching the the hair with lime, and also wearing helmets with horns etc that enhanced hieght.

This was all new to the Romans. Most Celtic 'tales' are highly romanticised and exaggerated. The Romans fought with these headers for centurys. A lot of what they said was war propaganda, or just generalised assumptions.

Quote:
"Just to complete the history part. A Roman historian (don't remember the name) said that the Celt warriors were very dangerous, and that 10 roman soldiers would have a very hard hard time fighting 1 celt warrior, and would be sure to lose should he call... his wife for help"

It is true that the romans in thier early days were scared sh*tless of the Celts. The Celts famously sacked Rome in 8...ah...8th century BC. (can't rember the date, it was late 80s)
There is records of legions running away from them.

Eventually the Roman tactics and organisation conquered the celtic rage and heroic style of battle.

Sorry lads, i'm slabbering, I've a bit of an interest in Celtic history.

:)

Originally posted by gael
Quote:
"And the Celtic ruling classes (the superstrate that presumably brought the language, it being Indo-European) were often described as tall and fair."

Apparently the Irish are from this stock, and believe me, we are not all tall, fair, and strong limbed. We are the most ackward, ugliest, race on the planet.
These discriptions have been taken from a handful of references, and even these seem to contradict each other. The 'Tall and fair' discription has been explained in other references as a Celtic warrior custom of bleching the the hair with lime, and also wearing helmets with horns etc that enhanced hieght.

This was all new to the Romans. Most Celtic 'tales' are highly romanticised and exaggerated. The Romans fought with these headers for centurys. A lot of what they said was war propaganda, or just generalised assumptions.

Quote:
"Just to complete the history part. A Roman historian (don't remember the name) said that the Celt warriors were very dangerous, and that 10 roman soldiers would have a very hard hard time fighting 1 celt warrior, and would be sure to lose should he call... his wife for help"

It is true that the romans in thier early days were scared sh*tless of the Celts. The Celts famously sacked Rome in 8...ah...8th century BC. (can't rember the date, it was late 80s)
There is records of legions running away from them.

Eventually the Roman tactics and organisation conquered the celtic rage and heroic style of battle.

Sorry lads, i'm slabbering, I've a bit of an interest in Celtic history.
:)

In 390 BC, the Celts (also called Gauls by the Romans) demanded three patricians to be handed to them after one of them stabbed to death a Gallic leader during negociations (!!). Romans refused and awaited the Gallish attack. 15,000 Roman troop were then annihilated 11 miles North of Rome and the Gauls besieged the Capitol fortress after sacking the rest of the city. Bren/Brennus asked for a huge amount of money to leave, making the Romans remember his "Va Victis" (Woe to the vanquished). These Gauls had settled in Northern Italy (Insubri, Senones) at the same time as some settled in "Galatia". They were to prove a long foe to the Romans, helping the Carthaginians as mercenaries or even as allies (though troublesome).

Celts then became THE enemy that ought to be completely destroyed... and was.

About Picts: they definitely seem to be a pre-celtic stock. They might be related but were surely in contact with the so called "Iberian" civilization ranging on an Atlantic belt from Portugal to England and who probably erected Stonehenge. When Celts (actually Belgium tribes with chariots) went into England, they probably mixed with locals while rejecting the bulk to the traditional social-ethnic conservatories of rough lands, such as the Highlands of Scotland and probably Wales, the same way Romano-Celts were pushed towards Scotland, Cornwalls and Wales.

About the Scots : they were an Irish tribe that left from Ulster to conquer parts of Scotland against both Picts and Romans.

About Irish: well Gael, I did part of my studies in Trinity College Dublin and I did not think I rish were so ugly (as far as the girls are concerned since my personal tastes don't include guys) ;) About their background, they are a mixture as most Europeans. The Celtic waves reached England in small numbers and mixed with prior stock, it is even truer for Ireland where most moved after the Roman conquer.
A recent study of genetic analysis between Welsh and central European dead Halstatt Celtic warriors proved very limited similarities which means that the Celts created a civilisation based on art, religious, social and political values that superimposed on different ethnic groups (very likely including some German tribes).

UTAH, after all it is your thread. Great Unit :goodjob: and very localized. Sorry for a..picking earlier on but I definitely think the result was worth it.
Cannot wait to see him in action from behind !!!

Now, about that slinger....:p

I agree about the pleasant features of Irish girls. Always had a place for them.:)

I'm a quarter Irish and a quarter Scots myself (and my kids are half Welsh), and do understand the nuances of the ancient ethnic mix that makes up the peoples of the British Isles.

My Scottish grandmother has always been noted for her "Moorish" features, similar to the "dark" Irish, I suppose. But the strongest vein of modern thought regarding the Indo-European speakers of Europe is that the fair-haired, tall people noted across the (sub)continent were mainly found among the ruling classes. This applies to Celts, Germans (Jarl is fair, Thrall is dark), Balts, and the ancient Balkan people also. Additionally, the ancient horse nomads of Central Asia (Cimmerians, Scyths, Aryans), in addition to the Tocharian speakers, were universally described as tall and fair. That suggests imposition of these nomads upon the settled peoples of Western Europe (the "megalith builders"), just as they did in parts of Northern India, the Iranian Plateau, and Anatolia (and possibly the Finnic taiga).

It's all largely useless debate, but just like you guys I love it. Turn into a real geek over it.

I'm gonna have to stop posting in this thread. It's addictive.

OH YEAH, and how about a Celtic chariot unit? That would be fun.

390 BC, thats the one.
I have know idea how I got 800 BC, my head was extremely pickled last night.

About those 'dark Irish', they say the futher west you go in Ireland the darker the hair and complextion is.
I suppose it makes sense, since all the conquests and new settlements would have come from the east. (Celts, Vikings etc.)

PS; The ugly Irish thing was just a joke. I'm the best looking man on the planet.

Originally posted by Redking
I agree about the pleasant features of Irish girls. Always had a place for them.:)
Damn, I LOVE IRISH GIRLS!!! :love:

Oh... cool unit, btw... I'd make it a replacement of an Archer, but doesn't need Warrior Code as a pri. but if you're looking for it to be a more useful uu, then a 3/1/1 replacement of the archer.

Top Bottom