Éa III, Sword & Sorcery: Missing Text Thread

ls612

Deity
As anyone who has played with Éa III so far knows, there are a LOT of missing text entries in the current versions. These are placeholders for actual planned text entries, but making them is a lot of repetitive work and has to be done by hand. That is where you come in.

Making TXT entries for Civilization V is very easy. It is really as simple as being able to copy-paste something along the lines of this template
Code:
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_EA_SOMETHING">
			<Text>Something</Text>
		</Row>
and replacing the tag and text with their proper values. It requires no coding or modding experience, and is a way you can help to improve Éa III, Sword & Sorcery. If you are interested in helping out please post in this thread, Pazyryk and I can point you to various text entries which need to be created or filled out.

Presuming it is as easy as suggested I have a bit of free time coming up so I'd be happy to help with as much as I can.

Also...

Much of the text already exists in the Manual.

Tech Helps are a special case because a lot (in fact nearly all) info is "autofilled" in the mouseover. What really needs to happen here is a mod change (by me) that makes these Helps not appear at all rather than appearing as empty TXT_KEYs. (In this case I just need players to identify missing info in the mouse-over, which occurs for a few techs due to the "5 items" limit or just because I forgot to add an autofill for the info.) Or, do we want Help for these even when there is no real info to convey? E.g., "this tech helps civs that want to ____"? I haven't looked at base tech helps lately so I'm not sure what we should do with these...

I could help with some of this.

It would be useful to have examples in this thread of how to build in references to the; Leader, Civilisation, City, Unit, etc in the text.
How do you do apostrophes? (I couldn't do them in Civ IV.)

I could help with some of this.

It would be useful to have examples in this thread of how to build in references to the; Leader, Civilisation, City, Unit, etc in the text.
Do you mean variable interpolation, where some part of the text is changeable? That only happens in texts that are added as part of Lua UI systems, not in Help or Pedia texts. As far as I know these are all complete in the mod. If your curious though, they involve using {} and there is a thread on them here.

But Help and Pedia entries associated with table items (e.g., Policies, Units, Techs, etc.) don't ever do that. These texts just "are what they are". There is formatting though and icons, which involve []:
Code:
[COLOR_POSITIVE_TEXT]Aristocracy[ENDCOLOR][NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET]+1[ICON_GOLD] Gold per [ICON_CITIZEN] Population in capital
The best way to learn these is just look at example texts. You can look at the core game texts or the mod texts in the folder Text.

How do you do apostrophes? (I couldn't do them in Civ IV.)
Paste in the text from any other source, such as Notepad or even a webpage (e.g., the manual). Something is wrong with ModBuddy so that ' displays as " but that only happens if you directly type it in ModBuddy.

Greetings

I would love to help, is there a priority list on what text we would like to add first?

if there is not then I would just try to add it as i play and find them :D.

Also i am still downloading the new media pack so i do not know if there are any additional text entry from the last version, if so, could you please inform me which ones were included so i can skip them?

Best regards,

Standiball

None added in v4.

As you find them I guess. However, no need to find each Tech help - they are all missing. (I still haven't looked at base to see what a tech help is supposed to say. All of the actual info is included in the icons...)

Ok so, how do I add the icons (such a the new units, spells etc) in the tech pop up ( the one that appears when you have researched a new tech)?

Ok so, how do I add the icons (such a the new units, spells etc) in the tech pop up ( the one that appears when you have researched a new tech)?

[ICON_SOMETHING] is the way to do it. For instance, [ICON_BULLET], [ICON_PRODUCTION], etc will do exactly what you expect them to do. Look in the existing text files for examples.

Here are all the new [ICON_SOMETHINGs] added by the mod. They are the first column of this table, copied from CoreTables/Icons.sql. ("_HC" is the star icon for the holy city.)
Code:
INSERT INTO  IconFontMapping(IconName,	IconMapping,	IconFontTexture) VALUES
('ICON_RELIGION_AZZANDARAYASNA',		1,				'EA_FONT_ICONS'	),
('ICON_RELIGION_ANRA',					2,				'EA_FONT_ICONS'	),
('ICON_RELIGION_THE_WEAVE',				3,				'EA_FONT_ICONS'	),
('ICON_CULT_OF_LEAVES',					4,				'EA_FONT_ICONS'	),
('ICON_CULT_OF_BAKKHEIA',				5,				'EA_FONT_ICONS'	),
('ICON_CULT_OF_EPONA',					6,				'EA_FONT_ICONS'	),
('ICON_CULT_OF_ABZU',					7,				'EA_FONT_ICONS'	),
('ICON_CULT_OF_AEGIR',					8,				'EA_FONT_ICONS'	),
('ICON_RELIGION_AZZANDARAYASNA_HC',		9,				'EA_FONT_ICONS'	),
('ICON_RELIGION_ANRA_HC',				10,				'EA_FONT_ICONS'	),
('ICON_RELIGION_THE_WEAVE_HC',			11,				'EA_FONT_ICONS'	),
('ICON_CULT_OF_LEAVES_HC',				12,				'EA_FONT_ICONS'	),
('ICON_CULT_OF_BAKKHEIA_HC',			13,				'EA_FONT_ICONS'	),
('ICON_CULT_OF_EPONA_HC',				14,				'EA_FONT_ICONS'	),
('ICON_CULT_OF_ABZU_HC',				15,				'EA_FONT_ICONS'	),
('ICON_CULT_OF_AEGIR_HC',				16,				'EA_FONT_ICONS'	),
('ICON_CULT_OF_PLOUTON',				17,				'EA_FONT_ICONS'	),
('ICON_CULT_OF_CAHRA',					18,				'EA_FONT_ICONS'	),
('ICON_CULT_OF_PLOUTON_HC',				25,				'EA_FONT_ICONS'	),
('ICON_CULT_OF_CAHRA_HC',				26,				'EA_FONT_ICONS'	),
('ICON_HEALTH',							33,				'EA_FONT_ICONS'	),
('ICON_UNHEALTH',						34,				'EA_FONT_ICONS'	);

Well here is an update for 3 buildings that i found had missing text in my last gameplay, it is not much because my PC rebooted before i could advance more and now it seems it can not open

if I recall correctly the added description were for the Silos, Palace and warehouse.

The palace only says it marks the capital of the civilization, as for silos and warehouses i copied and pasted the description from the manual

Attachments

• EaText_Buildings.rar
    4.8 KB · Views: 178
So about 99% of the "missing text keys" are Help texts where nothing is needed. What I mean is that all of the relevant info is auto-generated and added to bullet points. I've been constantly improving the auto-generation so that there are fewer and fewer cases where additional Help text is needed. For example, I just added health/unhealth building effects for v7.

But in v7 I've fixed it so that blank Help is no longer shown. So now you won't see TXT_KEY_BLAH_BLAH when discovering a tech. You just see the info buttons with all needed information. Same for buildings, units, and so on.

So please post here after we have v7 if you see any examples of TXT_KEY_'s or if you see cases where the bullet points and/or existing help don't cover all of the item's effects or are inaccurate.

I mentioned this in the "what do these buildings do?" thread, but all the temples (creation, destruction, and major spirit) currently have TXT_KEY_'s rather than actual information. Also, the part of the beast mastery tech that allies you with animals has the same problem.

The Medicine tech has both "All units heal 5% faster" and "Base unit healing rate increases by 5%". I'm going to assume the latter is true, so it doesn't bring you from 20 health per-turn to 21 health.

Beast Mastery's special needs a text key.

Thanks, I'll get these fixed in v8. Let me know in your comments whether the problem is above or bellow the "-----------" line (or both). Everything above is auto-generated; everything below is from the the Help text. If the effect is listed above and below, it's a case of something that is redundantly included in both (so needs to be removed from Help text).

I've been keeping notes on the TXT_KEY_EA_ items I've seen in game; let me share what I have found.

First, items that can be fixed by deleting the TXT_KEY_EA_ text and letting the auto-generated list do it's thing:
  • Resources
    • TXT_KEY_EA_RESOURCE_BERRIES_HELP
    • TXT_KEY_EA_RESOURCE_BOARS_HELP
    • TXT_KEY_EA_RESOURCE_COPPER_HELP
    • TXT_KEY_EA_RESOURCE_ELEPHANT_HELP
    • TXT_KEY_EA_RESOURCE_JADE_HELP
    • TXT_KEY_EA_RESOURCE_MITHRIL_HELP
    • TXT_KEY_EA_RESOURCE_MOLY_HELP
    • TXT_KEY_EA_RESOURCE_NAPHTHA_HELP
    • TXT_KEY_EA_RESOURCE_TOBACCO_HELP
    • TXT_KEY_EA_RESOURCE_YEW_HELP
    • There are probably more, it seems like anything that isn't in the standard game has a help text to be deleted
  • Building hover-over (within a city)
    • TXT_KEY_EA_BUILDING_FESTIVAL_HELP
  • Production box (in a city)
    • TXT_KEY_EA_UNIT_CARAVAN_HELP

I've taken a stab at the XML for others that I've found too. This part is long, so I'll put it in a spoiler tag
Spoiler :

Code:
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_EA_BUILDING_FESTIVAL">
	<Text>Festival</Text>
</Row>

<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_EA_UNIT_CHARIOT_ARCHERS">
	<Text>Chariot Archers</Text>
</Row>

<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_EA_TECH_BEAST_MASTERY_SPECIAL">
	<Text>Allows controlling beasts with the beastmaster ability (Not implemented yet)</Text>
</Row>

<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_EA_CIV_ANIMALS_SHORT">
	<Text>Wild Animals</Text>
</Row>

<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_EA_CIV_THE_FAY_SHORT">
	<Text>The Fay</Text>
</Row>

<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_EA_BERSERKER">
	<Text>Berserker</Text>
</Row>

<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_EA_ACTION_TEMPLE_BORVO_HELP">
	<Text>God of springs and healing</Text>
</Row>

<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_EA_ACTION_TEMPLE_AVETA_HELP">
	<Text>Goddess of springs and fertility</Text>
</Row>
The beast mastery special is an educated guess based on what is in the manual.

There are tons more temple texts that will be needed too. The way I have it coded above, when you mouse over the temple of Borvo command (for example), it will look like:
Build Temple of Borvo ... 25 Turns
God of springs and healing​

Top Bottom