0.6 Feedback

Jabie

Wanted in Monte Carlo...
I'm trying 0.6 now and it feels a lot more balanced than 0.5. I've some ideas on other techs, which I'll put in another thread.

I concur with the calls for new units to begin with some fuel, rather than having to have a fuel truck deliver it to them. (Micromanagement) Perhaps all newly created units from depots and airstrips should start with the Gas Tank 1/4 full promotion. This would at least allow you to get them to a city and would make the micromanagement less painful.

I really missed lumber mills, they make forests a lot more worthwhile. To a lesser extent windmills (for hilltops) were also absent.

You might want to think about adding a Potatoes Food resource and possibly a Swamp overlay. The latter can be drainable at Engineering, could contain spices and some kind of immobile, but rather nasty (Str 16) Swamp Beast.

The sea (not ocean) could use some kind of troop transport unit, as this would add another possibility to the game, even something as simple as a caravel. It also measn that if the map ever created an impossible map, you'd still be able to reach your target.

I concur with the calls for new units to begin with some fuel, rather than having to have a fuel truck deliver it to them.

For units created in cities, I can easily give them 1/4 tank if the city has a connection to the oil resource, there is a canned function to tell that. For depot/airbase units, there is no canned function and it might be hard to figure out if it's connected to oil. Maybe it doesn't matter too much. I will be interested to see if after the change, players get upset because they drive their new unit out of the city without looking at the gas, and it dies in the middle of nowhere.

I really missed lumber mills, they make forests a lot more worthwhile. To a lesser extent windmills (for hilltops) were also absent.

Junkyards are intended to replace windmills. For forests, I intentionally took out everything good a forest can do: lumbermills and the chop bonus. For a post-apocalypse world, I do not think wood is so important. Is there some effect you were trying to achieve? The post-apo world is supposed to be a little tougher to survive in.

You might want to think about adding a Potatoes Food resource and possibly a Swamp overlay. The latter can be drainable at Engineering, could contain spices and some kind of immobile, but rather nasty (Str 16) Swamp Beast.

I'm not sure I see a need for more food variety, I could always add back rice. Are you looking for more health, or something else?

I like the idea of the swamp beast. I took out "scrub fallout" because the mod has a very short turn duration of one season; but draining a swamp might be possible in a few seasons. I will think about that.

The sea (not ocean) could use some kind of troop transport unit, as this would add another possibility to the game, even something as simple as a caravel. It also measn that if the map ever created an impossible map, you'd still be able to reach your target.

I have added some code which tries to remove peaks (and fallout) on one plot wide land bridges, which should lead to fewer "impossible" maps. Still, I may add a motorboat technology, also requiring fuel, which would enable river trade routes, and then maybe put back whales, crabs and other marine food.

I`d say, especially in a post apocalyptic world forest is important, as probably the most other modern resources will be much harder to harvest with the lack of electricity and fuel and machines and everything.

I actually somehow like the units in the cities and I.E. on depots starting out Empty.
Refuelling overall is a bit heavy in terms of MM, but those empty units in cities do not increase it.

I am not sure if swamp would actually add to gameplay. We have Jungle already.

Overall i concur that foresets should not be too important in the game. Some kind of improvement would still be nice, as right now it is just a completely useless feature.
Lumbermills - implying a organized industrial use of forest - seem not right.

I am thinking hunting lounge maybe, giving +1 food on plains forest (making it food neutral 2:hammers: tile - not immensely powerfull, but worth working.) and instead +1 commerce on grassland forest (Grassland forest is already food neutral, so +1 food would make it food positive and allow growth while working them - i think only farms should be able to do that.)

Overall i concur that foresets should not be too important in the game. Some kind of improvement would still be nice, as right now it is just a completely useless feature.
Lumbermills - implying a organized industrial use of forest - seem not right.

I am thinking hunting lounge maybe, giving +1 food on plains forest (making it food neutral 2:hammers: tile - not immensely powerfull, but worth working.)

Another random idea. You can build a hunting lodge and put hunters there ... but sometimes the food hunts *you*. Nobody has commented yet about the horse resource, I hope it is at least generating a few nasty surprises. You should get the feeling nothing is safe out there, even stuff you might normally rely on.

Maybe a hunting lodge, which occasionally spawns a low strength wild animal like str 4. Anybody except a worker can put it down, but you should keep some units back just in case. What do you think?

Sounds good.

Can you make those units spawn and attack right away ? I had a Worker ambushed by horses, but i was able to bring reinforcements before it attacked... And i think Str. 6 or 8 might be still ok, so it can bring down a survivor from time to time.

Sounds good.

Can you make those units spawn and attack right away ? I had a Worker ambushed by horses, but i was able to bring reinforcements before it attacked... And i think Str. 6 or 8 might be still ok, so it can bring down a survivor from time to time.

I am pretty sure it works identically to bad results from goody huts in vanilla. I had remembered incorrectly. If you try a vanilla game and stack the deck to get a bad result, I am pretty sure the barbs spawn but do not attack you right then. You don't get a chance for the triggering unit to move again before the barb turn comes, but if it is early in your turn in a civilized area you can get some other unit there.

I don't think there is a way to make a barb unit attack during the middle of a player turn. I haven't done much with multiplayer yet but I think that would be a little difficult for MP too.

Yes it works the same like in normal game. Just did not ffel it was dangerous enought :lol: Worker is a 2 move unit, so it will be sometimes able to get away. Or you can send reinforcements, as it is close to home.

It was a neat effect, but it did not make actually worry or think about more safet whan connecting horses next time.
Maybe making those units a bit stronger (6 ?), and or let them pop in small grups (Barbs usually appear in grups of 3 or something from a hut).

Top Bottom