1.06 issues

Sultan Al-Malik

Chieftain
This thread is intended for listing and discussion on issues in 1.06 version.

I am facing a major problem that I get error messages quite a lot during mid game when I am using 1.06. The game thus ends and reverts back to desktop. I havent been able to findthe trigger of exceptions, but this happens within first 30 turns.

You should post savegames just before the crash (those that are not locked).

I get no error messages, but sadly the mod is unplayable.

As soon as I discover the pacific, all ships sail there, regardless of which of the two travel buttons I use. Looks like I'll have to revert to v1.05 if I wish to keep on playing.

Oh well! --- Wheldrake

I get no error messages, but sadly the mod is unplayable.

As soon as I discover the pacific, all ships sail there, regardless of which of the two travel buttons I use. Looks like I'll have to revert to v1.05 if I wish to keep on playing.

Oh well! --- Wheldrake

Works fine for me. Please start a new game and don't use an old save from before the patched file as the ships will have retained their Pacific return plots.

Works fine for me. Please start a new game and don't use an old save from before the patched file as the ships will have retained their Pacific return plots.

Sad to say, that's what I did. Installed the patch, started a new game, played quite contentedly until... I discovered the pacific. Then all my ships decided to sail there when returning from Europe.

Using a Faireweather map.

I'll try again. Very odd. The only thing that I can think is that the clickable zones in the Europe screen got muddled so that both "go to the new world" buttons point to the west side.

Aside from that, I was enjoying the FF modifications.

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

I have reinstalled Colonization, and installed mod, now its been quite a long game and i havent experienced a crash yet.
Another thing is that previously i had installed col into a custom location, now i have installed it in the default location.

Sad to say, that's what I did. Installed the patch, started a new game, played quite contentedly until... I discovered the pacific. Then all my ships decided to sail there when returning from Europe.

Using a Faireweather map.

I'll try again. Very odd. The only thing that I can think is that the clickable zones in the Europe screen got muddled so that both "go to the new world" buttons point to the west side.

Aside from that, I was enjoying the FF modifications.

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

One thing, when you hold the mouse over the west/east buttons do they tell you they are going to Pacific / Atlantic, or just to the New World?

Have been playing 1.06 a fair bit and have made some observations which i will spread between several threads. Here are the issues I've found so far:

- Ships coming into Tortuga 'float' above the sea.
- Transports in the city/settlement screens are surrounded my a blue box.
- Computer nations leave themselves largely udefended early to mid game. In two seperate games i took over most of a nations cities. In one game as the Pirates I literally walked into 3 of Portugals 4 cities without a fight, and did a similar thing to the Dutch when playing as Portugal, taking 5 or 6 cities with a few units only.
- When being taxed by the King you have disabled the Domestic advisor but the Trade Advisor is still accessible.
- Education costs still don't seem to be right. I think maybe the costs are being calculated according to when the specailist moved into the settlement relative to when the school was built, and not when the colonist entered the school??
- Silver prices drop at an alarming rate! In my latest game it dropped to 2$ by 1600-odd. It did seem that there was a lot of silver around. Perhaps silver could be made more rare and this might help?
- I guess technically this isn't your area, and should be in the JTrades thread, but there are some problems with the trade advisor - re-ordering trade routes doesn't work properly, and sometimes transports seem to forget their orders.

I believe some of these have been raised before in other threads, but i thought id mention them all the same.

OK, you're right, now with the patch I can send ships to both Pacific and Atlantic. But here's the beef:
1) Since the Atlantic is on the right side of the map, I keep clicking on the right button, even though it's clearly labelled "pacific". My fault, I know, but weren't these buttons the other way round in earlier versions of AoD2? I'd by far prefer - and I think it's more intuitive - for the right button to send me to the right side of the map: to the Atlantic.

2) When I do make this mistake, if I then send the ship right back to Europe without sailing around at all, it becomes impossible to send the ship to the Atlantic after reaching Europe again. It's stuck making that trip to the Pacific... again & again.

I know, I just need to re-learn which button to push - or for dog's sake read the flibusting thing.

Aside from that, everything seems to be working right in the mod, and it is very hard to get ready for early native attacks. This is a good thing, adds a measure of challenge back into the game.

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

@Wheldrake:

I am responsible for that mess. :blush: :) I was confused with the "sail to new world buttons" and tried to exchange them. As you can see it doesn't worked out that well.
But are you sure you installed the bugfix and started a new game? With the fix installed it should work now as in AOD1.06 beta and previous versions. The left button is the pacific (west) button again. :crazyeye:

@Wheldrake:

I am responsible for that mess. :blush: :) I was confused with the "sail to new world buttons" and tried to exchange them. As you can see it doesn't worked out that well.
But are you sure you installed the bugfix and started a new game? With the fix installed it should work now as in AOD1.06 beta and previous versions. The left button is the pacific (west) button again. :crazyeye:

Now this is counter-intuitive to me. The Euros sailed west (left button) across the Atlantic to get to the New World. To said east (right button) would cross the Pacific.

This interface seems to me to be something that needs a better failsafe. Both ways of doing the buttons can be said to be counter-intuative. I suppose an 'A' or 'P' button might be better. Alternatively, a way to rescind the order to leave Europe if the turn hasn't ended would be nice - maybe with different GFX for Atlantic-bound and Pacific-bound ships so you could easly tell if you'd accidently hit the wrong button.

Yes, I installed the "bugfix" patch, and re-started several games. I can now sail to both the Pacific and the Atlantic, as long as I'm very, very careful which button I hit, because I guess I'd gotten into the habit of right button = Atlantic, Left button = Pacific.

It's true, if you look at which way the ships sailed out of Europe, it could be construed that left= Atlantic, right = Pacific is more logical.

Trouble is, it's so easy to confuse those buttons, and once clicked, there is no recall. Many turns can be lost in such an error.

Anyway, I'm getting used to it, and hardly ever make the mistake any more. <g>

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

It's true, if you look at which way the ships sailed out of Europe, it could be construed that left= Atlantic, right = Pacific is more logical.

Yes, that was my intention. I find it more logical.

In next update there will be a rebound/recall button for outgoing ships (if no more than 1 turn away from Europe). Tool tips for out and incoming ships will show destination/origin and coordinates, for example: (West 0, 22).

Well there's two thoughts on the buttons:

1. Based on Europe left == Atlantic, right == Pacific.
2. Based on main screen left == Pacific, right == Atlantic.

I figured since players spend 90% of the game in the main screen to take that path. :)

Well there's two thoughts on the buttons:

1. Based on Europe left == Atlantic, right == Pacific.
2. Based on main screen left == Pacific, right == Atlantic.

I figured since players spend 90% of the game in the main screen to take that path. :)

That's what seems more intuitive to me, too, and has the advantage of being the same in vanilla Civ4Col. But I won't complain as long as both of the buttons actually work.

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

Dale, today I tried to play for first time the 1.06 version, and I found this, I deleted the old aod2 folder and put the new one. I'm doing something wrong?

Attachments

• sshot.jpg
    sshot.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 157
Dale, today I tried to play for first time the 1.06 version, and I found this, I deleted the old aod2 folder and put the new one. I'm doing something wrong?

Delete the box.dds in AgeOfDiscoveryII\Assets\Art\Interface\Screens\Europe. ;)

Top Bottom