1.22 development

Xyth

History Rewritten
With 1.22 I'm aiming to be a bit more transparent about what I'm working on. This thread will be a place for previews and feedback for 1.22. From time to time I will even post 'development versions' for people to try out. I'm hoping this will help reduce the time between versions, by keeping me more focused (i.e finishing one task before getting distracted by others), by catching bugs early, and by allowing more 'hands-on' feedback.

Without any further ado, I present: Islands!

Art borrowed from Realism Invictus, tweaked a little to suit HR graphics better. They'll have a yield of +1:hammers:, +25% defense, and block line of sight (like hills). Atolls will change to +1:food: but will be a lot rarer, especially near the coast. Tribal Islands have been redesigned to appear only on Islands and Atolls (see the picture), rather than being their own (disappearing) islet. Finally, I've completely rewritten the Reef placement code - all Reefs now start at the coast, and while they may extend out into the ocean, there'll be no more mid-ocean reefs miles from anywhere.

Overall I think this will make for much more attractive and interesting oceans. Once I've got a development version out, I'll be looking for volunteers to place Islands on the real world maps.

Attachments

• Islands.jpg
    Islands.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 1,238
I decided to scrap BUG's very customisable domestic advisor and make my own. Hopefully this won't upset too many of you. The customization options were great, if a bit daunting, but they made modding the screen a nightmare. Here's what the new one looks like:

Hopefully everything is fairly obvious as to what it is. I'll probably add more info and split the Overview page into Society and Military pages (or something like that), but that'll do for now. Haven't posted a screenshot, but you can see from the page options that the Dissent Advisor has been merged in.

If there's any info you find useful that you don't see in those screenshots, let me know.

Attachments

• Overview.jpg
    Overview.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 922
  • Economy.jpg
    Economy.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 975
  • Specialization.jpg
    Specialization.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 988
One nitpick on the Specialization screenshot: the Palace does not currently count against the 'two national wonders per city' limit, nor should it unless you want to raise the limit to three per city (which is what I would prefer, given the increased number of national wonders in HR).

I assumed Faith reffered to National Religion, so if the National religion were say Judaism it would show if it was established in that city. The only other thing i could think off would be a new thing showing percentages something like you city is 45% Jewish, 15% Christain etc

It's probably Platyping's Faith mod he plans to implement. He has been talking about that before.

You might as well replace all the gp symbols with their respective buttons.
No point having a full page of yellow symbols

What is Faith?

I assumed Faith reffered to National Religion, so if the National religion were say Judaism it would show if it was established in that city. The only other thing i could think off would be a new thing showing percentages something like you city is 45% Jewish, 15% Christain etc

It's probably Platyping's Faith mod he plans to implement. He has been talking about that before.

It's a placeholder at the moment, but I do want to implement Faith as a mechanic at some point, though whether that's in 1.22 remains to be seen.

One nitpick on the Specialization screenshot: the Palace does not currently count against the 'two national wonders per city' limit, nor should it unless you want to raise the limit to three per city (which is what I would prefer, given the increased number of national wonders in HR).

Ah yes, I'll adjust that. Unsure about raising the National Wonder limit, I think I prefer having them spread around more cities.

You might as well replace all the gp symbols with their respective buttons.
No point having a full page of yellow symbols

I second changing the GP icons, a sea of yellow adds extra seconds to my glancing

Agreed.

Will this effect bombardment? If so, is there a comparable 'indirect fire' promotion to compensate? What are your thoughts on pirates or privateers getting a bonus in islands?

No, just means you can't see tiles behind them until you move into or go around the Islands. Normal vision range from an Islands tile. What sort of Pirate/Privateer bonus are you thinking?

Also, most of the + symbols are redundant since stuff like culture will never be negative.
You may want to test big numbers like 10000 culture per turn and see if it can still display well in all resolutions, because if the width is too short, it gets truncated

Some of them like food and production looks like they are displayed as text rather than integers. If so, sorting won't be accurate

Will land units be able to stand on islands without a naval unit? Will settlers or colonists be able to found cities on islands?

If not, perhaps give the Polynesian (and also possibly the Indonesian) unique buildings the ability to build settlers that can found cities on islands to give them more flavor and make them more viable on their Earth map starts.

Also, most of the + symbols are redundant since stuff like culture will never be negative.

I use the + to distinguish between rates and stored values. Obvious from context here, but not always elsewhere so I prefer to be consistent.

You may want to test big numbers like 10000 culture per turn and see if it can still display well in all resolutions, because if the width is too short, it gets truncated.

Will do. I'm still experimenting a bit with scaling.

Some of them like food and production looks like they are displayed as text rather than integers. If so, sorting won't be accurate

Will fix. Production turns is duplicated anyway, growth turns can move elsewhere.

Will land units be able to stand on islands without a naval unit? Will settlers or colonists be able to found cities on islands?

No to both. Island tiles are water tiles and have all the properties thereof. Giving cargo units a chance to survive if their transport is sunk on islands could be interesting, but I doubt the AI would cope.

If not, perhaps give the Polynesian (and also possibly the Indonesian) unique buildings the ability to build settlers that can found cities on islands to give them more flavor and make them more viable on their Earth map starts.

Not possible without literally transforming island tiles into land tiles, which would get ugly pretty quickly. At the moment there are no improvements that can be built on Islands, but it has potential. Not sure I want to head down the 'Unique Improvement' path right now though.

I love the idea of little islands! And the obvious improvement on such a thing would ofcourse be an island village or in later eras a beach resort. Or perhaps a lighthouse on an island would see three tiles away or temporarily give any sea vessel an extra movement.

EDIT: Download removed - all features and changes have been incorporated into Version 1.21.1 instead.

Did you remove the Pirate unit like you were talking about?

Edit: Also, the redesigned Corp advisor seems to be listing all *visible* resources in your territory, even if they're not improved or connected.

Did you remove the Pirate unit like you were talking about?

Knew I was forgetting something. Next edition.

Edit: Also, the redesigned Corp advisor seems to be listing all *visible* resources in your territory, even if they're not improved or connected.

Seems it does. I'll relabel the columns as 'Territory', 'Import', 'Export', and 'Available'. Should be a bit clearer.

It may be just my preference but i prefer numbers to labels. For example in culture i would find the size number and the growth number to be more useful.

Trying 1.22 which i like so far and have another crash for you.

please find attached the crash report and the saved game.

Attachments

• carlpease AD-0760.CivBeyondSwordSave
    883.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Crash Report.doc
    139 KB · Views: 131
Top Bottom