• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

1 unit per hex: failed experiment

To start with, I want to avoid the logical fallacy called "exclusion of the middle" which is very common here. Even if you disliked the combat in earlier Civ game there would have been other solutions than an arbitrary 1 unit per hex limit. And for this game and scale I'd contend it is an extremely poor match, and the problems with it make it hard to enjoy the other innovations in the game. To wit:

1) It makes the mechanics of moving clunky and the game run very slow. The CPU is spending all of it's time doing complex pathing calculations to shuffle units around, and the more units (higher difficulty) they have, the longer it takes. Tasks which were never a problem in earlier games (assigning workers to build a road) are tedious and glitchy. Moving large armies is a buggy pain, and units in battle are frequently sent to their death (both human and AI) because it can't figure out how to get from A to B.

2) Roads are not only rare by design (fine) but almost useless in practice because of the stacking limit. Single NPC units can perma-block roads in neutral territory, and frequently do.

3) It distorts the rest of the game. Civ was designed around a different paradigm, and the changes needed to avoid unit overpopulation made the peaceful game imbalanced and boring (e.g. weak production and high costs for large empires, both driven largely by the need to avoid massive unit production.)

4) It is inappropriate for the scale of the game. If you wanted to have fights resolved on a tactical map with no stacking: great idea! But when the British Isles are 4 hexes, for example, it does violence to the feel of the game. And it scales poorly with size: the feel is best when you have a lot of room to maneuver, but the game design harshly penalizes large empires and maps, favoring smaller ones where the stacking limit performs the worst.

4) It's prone to artificial tactics. Once these are widely known the claim that combat is now more "strategic" will be falsified - because it's false. There is a reason why wargames abandoned the "I move and attack, then you move and attack" mode. It's because it rewarded unrealistic tactics, like soldiers darting from building to building and never getting attacked when they cross the street. Modern wargames have things like opportunity fire (e.g. when you move in range of my city, or artillery, then I attack you *first* as you charge at me.) Civ 5 has taken the worst aspects of the alternating turn approach and amplified them - for example, with cavalry which not only attacks first but which can retreat, or with insta-heal combat promotions. To eliminate the extreme distortion of "all my units attack, then you go" it's important instead to give both sides a chance - in other words, if you can damage someone else then you can be damaged yourself when the other guy gets a move. It's basic wargame design, and it was ignored. Civ 5 fails as a compelling wargame because it didn't pay any attention to decades of lessons from the tabletop world (I'd bet the Civ 5 team is utterly unaware of the principles behind the boardgaming renaissance led by German designers like Reiner Knizia, for example.)

5) The new problems created with 1 unit are worse than the big stack problem they solved. No stacking favors big units over little ones, replacing "stack of doom" with "unit of doom". Large armies create gridlock, and the absurd consequence that you can't even use most of your units because you can't even reach the field (in a battle on the size of a continent). This is especially a problem for the AI, which gets clogged and paralyzed with gigantic numbers of units at the highest levels.

6) The above problems cripple the AI as an opponent. It isn't that they didn't try, it's that the problem they're giving the AI isn't soluble. A bigger army can actually be worse than a smaller one because it can't move: that's very hard to program.

Solutions? A modest stacking limit, either with overstacking allowed (but only the "limit" worth of forces permitted to engage in military action) or the AI coded to keep itself 1 or more below the limit at all times (to allow movement.) Unlimited stacking for civilians. Combining units to create armies (and attaching generals) would be a cool idea that would work well. Ranged units can still attack more safely (but don't need to be able to do so from 2-3 hexes), and weak units can be guarded by strong ones in the same hex (a godsend for the AI.) There are plenty of answers to the Civ 4 problem, and unfortunately the Civ 5 model isn't the right one.

So let me ask this. How do a million different wargames do no stacking just fine with a competent AI? How is it that it's been done a million times before with no problem and suddenly now it's impossible to program an AI without a big stack? Seems like it's a giant crock to me.

If you have bad AI, then it's because it was programmed poorly, not because of a system that's been around forever.

Personally I enjoy 1UPT but you make some good points. AI Scouts should never be able to totally derail an invasion plan. There's also NO REASON why multiple civvies units shouldnt be able to stack. Even if yo uwanna say that two workers can't work together at least let them share a tile!

As I've said i na different thread I have no idea why they felt the need to cripple production to avoid overly-large armies. Surely terrain limitations and upkeep costs would limit the size of armies in a much more seamless way. Who is gonna bulid 50 units when attacking across a 10-hex front? Who could ever AFFORD to!?

I agree with all the problems mentioned and (at least) with the general direction of solution, limited stacking. Can anyone with modding experience say if such changes are possible once the C++ sources are available (practically rewriting the whole combat and large portions of the AI)?

So let me ask this. How do a million different wargames do no stacking just fine with a competent AI? How is it that it's been done a million times before with no problem and suddenly now it's impossible to program an AI without a big stack? Seems like it's a giant crock to me.

If you have bad AI, then it's because it was programmed poorly, not because of a system that's been around forever.

It's a question of having a balanced design - so that the scale matches properly. If units could move a long distance per turn, for example, then the stacking limit wouldn't be such a big deal (this is typically true of wargames.) Wargames also don't have to balance the peaceful builder/warmonger styles, so what the stack limits do to the worker bees is irrelevant. So it may be more accurate to say that no stacking doesn't work for a game on the scale of Civilization, rather than that it can't work at all.

The only point I agree with is #6. The AI can't play civ 5 just as it couldn't play 4 or 3. Bad AI is nothing new really, to the civ series or to gaming in general.

Very well argued, ohioastronomy! :goodjob:

I must say that of all the things that bother me about Civ5, the 1upt is not the among the biggest issues for me.

But indeed the implementation feels flawed and you have given a reasonable insight into why.

Thanks! :)

I must say that of all the things that bother me about Civ5, the 1upt is not the among the biggest issues for me.

But indeed the implementation feels flawed and you have given a reasonable insight into why.

I agree pretty much exactly with what you've written.

Also, in principle I think the civ4 stacking problem could have been solved without any resorting to any arbitrary stacking limit, whether that be 1upt, 5upt or whatever.

Civ4 had a rock-paper-scissors system which favoured stacking, units that heal for free which favours concentration of attacks and hence stacking, and limited collateral damage (i.e. limited number of units that receive it) from siege units which didn't do enough to discourage stacking.

The biggest and IMO only strong enough deterrent to stacking in civ4 was the point in the game when nukes could be built, but of course that is far too late to have enough impact.

I agree with all of this and want to add that a stack of units with say 2 Archers, 2 Horsemen, 2 spearman and 2 Axemen should get a combined forces bonus as they have range, shock and flanking. The stack should essentially become a unit on it's own, made up of smaller component parts. This army combination should always defeat 8 Archers, 8 Axemen, 8 spearmen or 8 horsemen.

Bonus promotions could be given to each unit, for every other unit of a different kind that the stack posseses.

I disagree.

Hexs and 1 unit per tile force you to use strategy. Piling 150 units on a single squared tile was an arcade mess.

I disagree.

Hexs and 1 unit per tile force you to use strategy. Piling 150 units on a single squared tile was an arcade mess.

And plastering 150 units across a whole continent is not also a mess? That is not strategy - it is tedium.

I disagree.

Hexs and 1 unit per tile force you to use strategy.

No, it doesn't. Instead it forces you to only ever build 4-6 units since that's all you ever be able to bring to bear on an enemy civilization.

Piling 150 units on a single squared tile was an arcade mess.

And yet the solution was not to go to 1upt. Ever play Master of Magic?

I disagree.

I've told you a million times not to exagerate.

What strategy can you use, that you can't also employ with 10 units on a tile?

Your argument for 1UPT is that it stops stacks of 10 units killing your smaller stack. Well, 10 units in the field placed all over the show will still kill your smaller army, the only difference is it'll take you 10 minutues to move them all providing they can actually move past the NPC unit that gets in the way.

And plastering 150 units across a whole continent is not also a mess? That is not strategy - it is tedium.

Usually on small maps my army is around a dozen of units within middle eras, I can reach the double on late stages so I can't understand how you can maintain 150 units and simoultaneously having a solid economy that leads you to win. :confused::confused:

Prince level BTW

Maaaaaark star crashes....pouring its light into ashes...

Sorry....just had to!

;)

I do think a 3-5upt would fix some of the issues we are seeing. A combined arms bonus would definatly be a big plus as well. As of now the current game is somewhat broken. I can't use my own roads. I have to keep regiving move orders as units bumble into eachother. The enemy battle ai is sooo very inept. The ai keeps their general in the capital and a simple attachment solution could fix this. The battle ai is best described as "confused". Time and time again I go into battle expecting defeat against a superior force but the ai seems to keep shuffling back and forth not knowing which way to go allowing me to achieve victory when I had no right to. I have yet to see an air war and the naval aspects of the ai are very disgusting. This game is still in beta form IMO. I agree with the op in that the current system works best when there are few units in an open area. Let's build on that and small stacks might just be a possible solution.

I like the change in a general sense, but I think it was mainly a bad decision with regard to how it puts the bar way too high where creating an AI that can work with the mechanisms is concerned.

Top Bottom