1UPT: lets end the discussion here. what do you want?

1UPT: lets end the discussion here. what do you want?

• 1UPT but with better AI

Votes: 172 54.3%
  • Unlimited Stacks (as in CIV4)

Votes: 13 4.1%
  • Limited Stacks (example: 6 units per stack)

Votes: 32 10.1%
  • Unlimited Stacks for non-combat units only (example: worker)

Votes: 24 7.6%
  • Limited Stacks for combat units + unlimited Stacks for non-combat units

Votes: 36 11.4%
  • Unlimited Stack on strategic map + seperate tactical map with 1UPT

Votes: 17 5.4%
  • Something else

Votes: 23 7.3%

• Total voters

Deep_Blue

Knight
I find 1UPT (1 Unit Per Tile) the most annoying thing in CIV5, I can live with other changes but this one kills my game experience. Personaly I feel SOD (Stack Of Doom) system is bad , but no stacks at all is a much worse option.

1UPT was discussed to death in many threads, here are some threads discussing it:

1 unit/tile overkill

1 unit per hex: failed experiment

I also started a thread about this : No stack of doom ! good or bad?

What I realized is that opinions regarding this issue are not settled, some people like 1UPT and hate SODs, other people wants something in between 1UPT and SOD, and others like SODs and hate 1UPT.

There was a poll about this before : 1 Unit Per Hex: For or Against?
but this poll only goes for Black and White and nothing in between (Iam sure there are better options in between)

Now lets end this discussion and tell Firaxis what we want about this, I would like to know what the majority of players want:

1. 1UPT with better AI
The current system is good but we need better AI.

2. Unlimited Stacks
The old SOD system from CIV4

3. Limited Stacks
Stacks with limited nomber of units, like for example 6 units per tile.

4. Unlimited Stacks for non-combat units only
only non-combat units like workers can stack wth no limit. Combat units are still restricted to 1UPT.

5. Limited Stacks for combat units + unlimited Stacks for non-combat units
Limit combat units stacks (exampe: 6 units per tile), but non-combat units (like workers) can stack with no limit.

6. Unlimited Stack on strategic map + Seperate tactical map with 1UPT:
Make seperate tactical map for combat (example: like in Rome Total War). on main strategic map unlimited stacks are allowed, but in tactical map units are restricted to 1UPT.

7. Something else
post it here

NOTE: All the options are supposed to be with better AI not only option no.1

I like 1 UPT (though I could see going up to 2 UPT), but do think that noncombat units ought to just be able to stack. You shouldn't be able to use 5 workers on a tile at once, but they should be able to stack with each other no problem.

Limited Stacks would help partially alleviate some of the bad AI, as well as the scale problem of the game. But that is just the tip of the iceberg.

If the AI was improved, the game would be vastly better in all facets. It's hard to balance a game from the mechanics standpoint when the game doesn't play smart enough to determine everything that is unbalanced.

If the AI was better, 1UPT would be so much more fun. I don't mind non-combat units stacking though.

i chose Unlimited Stacks for non-combat units only (example: worker)

Reason is that when in battle the 1UPT is quite fun but i dont see any reason why it should apply to non combat units.
Aslong as workers cant work the same hextile at the same time i dont see why they cant be allowed to stack.
This will also lower the waiting time between turns, as the AI dont have to do as many calculations.

You forgot the best solution:

Stacks only in Cities, 1Unit per MilitaryBuilding!

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=389787

good idea but building is already slow in CIV5 and adding more buildings as a requirment for stacking will add more pain, so I find implementing limited stacks directly inside cities is better. But I personally like limited stacks for combat units anywhere not only inside cities, also I like unlimited non-combat stacks, workers doesnt affect combat so removing stacking restriction on them makes the game smoother.

1UPT with better AI. The combat system is the best of any Civ game yet imho, the only thing I think should be fixed is the pathfinding algorithym used to calculate unit movement, which I believe is broken because of 1UPT. Sometimes, if you order a unit to go to a certain hex, the path calculated is ridiculously long.
Also during combat the AI seems to randomly select the unit that it's going to attack instead of simply focusing on killing the weakest unit, or killing the ranged attackers first, like a human would do.

1UPT with better AI. The combat system is the best of any Civ game yet imho, the only thing I think should be fixed is the pathfinding algorithym used to calculate unit movement, which I believe is broken because of 1UPT. Sometimes, if you order a unit to go to a certain hex, the path calculated is ridiculously long.
Also during combat the AI seems to randomly select the unit that it's going to attack instead of simply focusing on killing the weakest unit, or killing the ranged attackers first, like a human would do.

If the AI was taught to focus fire, stay behind cover as much as possible, and use navies, nukes, and the air force, difficulty would increase two fold.

I voted for 1UPT for combat units but unlimited for non combat. Workers should be able to occupy the same hex as other workers but not be able to work together.

However, I wouldn't like the ability to stack 5 great generals in one hex so I think an exception would have to be made for them.

However, I wouldn't like the ability to stack 5 great generals in one hex so I think an exception would have to be made for them.

You could make it so their effects don't stack.

1UPT is, in my view, one of the best aspects of Civ 5. It has led to extremely compelling gameplay that would not have otherwise happened. For example, in one diety game, I was able to pull a "Thermopylae" with a small detachment of chinese crossbowmen and a GG around a city that was founded on a a huge area of mountainous terrain. The crossbowmen were eventually killed, but their selfless resistance won the game for my empire. Epic.

Limited stacks on the strategical map with zooming into a tactical combat map in case of battles.

Alternatively, a "quick resolve" button to fight the battle on the strategic map (taking into account all units of the stacks at the same time and distributing the individual strengths and weaknesses equally over the stack)
Max stack size would be something between 10 and 25, as I guess, but that would have to be evaluated.

2UPT would solve 90% of the problems with 1UPT, which in my opinion are largely issues with traffic flow (getting units from A to B in a reasonable manner). I like the combat elements of 1UPT. 2UPT with some restrictions would keep most of the 1UPT gameplay elements in effect while solving most of the routing problems.

If 2 military units occupy the same tile maybe only one can attack per turn. When defending maybe only one unit can defend (strongest unit at the beginning of the turn) and if that unit is defeated both are. But even without these sorts of restrictions most of the problems would be solved while still providing a good strategic/tactical combat experience.

Top Bottom