2 things Civ V teaches us about real life.

That it is bad to adopt new laws (Civ: social policies) for immediate use when conflicting alternatives would be better later on. I adopted Autocracy during 2 wars at once and realised that after one ended Order was better.

:agree:

Wow, great point. I too have adopted policies for the short term gain, to find them of little use in the long term. most notably going honor instead of order or liberty in the early game.

Moderator Action: The quoted post was warned and deleted, removed the offensive part.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

A lot of stuff
Helps tremendously in AP World history, for all you high schoolers out there
(Or for any other history course whatsoever)

Hmmm. Is it odd that I never assume an attack is imminent, and just keep units stationed along my borders for defensive purposes just in case? I like to try to play peacefully much of the time, which is a challenge in this game since diplomacy feels somewhat neutered. But I never think about how my standing army is too expensive not to use. I just keep it turtled up just in case generally lol.

What does that teach me about real life? That I'm a cowardly pacifist lol.

Hmmm. Is it odd that I never assume an attack is imminent, and just keep units stationed along my borders for defensive purposes just in case? I like to try to play peacefully much of the time, which is a challenge in this game since diplomacy feels somewhat neutered. But I never think about how my standing army is too expensive not to use. I just keep it turtled up just in case generally lol.

What does that teach me about real life? That I'm a cowardly pacifist lol.

Not really, to me it sounds like you value nation-building/empire development over conquest. You just like to make your own toys and not steal them from others :goodjob:

No civis virtuous or holy. Nobody is the "good guy". Every civ is self interested, war mongers and backstabs.

While playing CiV I learned that every nation spies. It's no big deal. When I was little I thought spying was this super secret illegal thing that countries do when they are desperate. And if they ever got caught that could mean War! But turns out if you catch a spy you just shake your fist at the other civ and say "don't do that again" without any repercussions.

If only real world America would have built the Great Firewall, then China wouldn't be able to hack our systems. Oh well...

*shakes fist at China* You rotten scoundrels! Don't spy on us again. Oh and can you loan us more gpt?

That world leaders can act like 16-year-old girls sometimes.

"You can't be her friend, you're MY friend! MINE!!!"

Things I've learned from Civ V...

If you're being bullied, that makes you a warmonger.

An embassy is only worth $25.

You have to wait at least 10 years before picking a fight with someone again.

Nobody wants to be your friend. Unless they ask.

Rome cannot be burned to the ground.

Roads cost money. Operating a market does not.

People in large, overdeveloped nations are unhappy. People in small underdeveloped nations love life.

You can have liberty, representation, free thought, and fascism at the same time.

You cannot have order and democracy at the same time.

The pyramids were not build over a long time span by hard work. They were built by Thomas Edison in a single day.

Temples do not make you happy. Monuments do not make you happy. Libraries do not make you happy. Horses and stables do not make you happy. Markets don't make you happy. Plumbing does not make you happy. Opera does not make you happy. Money does not make you happy. Spaceships do not make you happy. Stonemasons make you happy.

Be careful around strange cities, they can throw stuff at you and kill you from miles away.

If you make friends with the little guy, he'll give you all his stuff.

Ghandi liked nukes.

To those who say that Civ 5 is like a school environment, I share your views. If you attack a CS, the major powers view you as a bully that must be dealt with. If you are as weak as a CS, other major powers will bully you. If you have friendly major states, they will try and mooch off you if you have spare luxury resources.

Other things I learned:
- Trained (horse) archers can sometimes shoot as far as artillery can.
- Walls are still relevant in the modern era
- World is made out of hexagons
- Can't stuff 2 divisions of troops into an area.
- Whaling is not an international crime.
- We humans will eventually build giant death robots (and then live out the Terminator triliogy)
- 1 Nuke only wipes out half of a city
- India loves overpopulation
- Americans have good eyesight and have an excellent understanding of the property (tile) market
- Englishmen are good seafarers
- Frenchmen used to be cultured people (until steam power).
- Japanese soldiers fight like the Black Knight from Monty Python Holy Grail (9 HP gone...just a flesh wound).
- Modern day barbarians/pirates had destroyers.

Last week I found myself looking at the marshland next to the river I was kayaking down and wondering how many "tiles" of polders could be built on it.

That Zoroastrianism is the one true religion, and all others must be destroyed.
That it should have been Persia who built the Chichen Itza.
That nuclear warheads should never be placed in the control of vegetarians.
:lol:

Absolutely not! Haven't you noticed people getting happier when they have ivory and truffles available at their local market? Or how great its been to replace all our roads with railroads?

It teaches us that countries should be more willing to use nuked to prevent long wars.

1) That no matter how fever-pitched your battle with Siam, paying your electric bill is still more important.
2) That your girlfriend WILL break up with you for dating Civilization more than her (P.S. not me--I knew a girl who broke up w/ her bf addicted to Civ I).
3) That Catherine the Great was hot.
4) That you can still catch a cold in the middle of the summer if you go without sleep for more than 72 hours.
5) That the Vikings were not evil people--they were merely downloadable content.
6) That your farm in the middle of the desert will produce really good crops, as long as you carve really pretty artwork into the face of a cliff somewhere.
7) That a long time ago before Stonehenge was built, a bunch of Giant Death Robots ravaged the landscape and destroyed all civilizations on the earth except one (...oops, that was my mod. you weren't supposed to know that...)

Absolutely, because life sucks, and you can't count on anybody.

One quote that always stuck me about the constitution and CiV civs in general:

"Bill of Rights? Who the heck needs a Bill of Rights? I'm Bill, and I'm Right."

Never trust Gandhi

Things I've learned from Civ V...

If you're being bullied, that makes you a warmonger.

An embassy is only worth $25.

You have to wait at least 10 years before picking a fight with someone again.

Nobody wants to be your friend. Unless they ask.

Rome cannot be burned to the ground.

Roads cost money. Operating a market does not.

People in large, overdeveloped nations are unhappy. People in small underdeveloped nations love life.

You can have liberty, representation, free thought, and fascism at the same time.

You cannot have order and democracy at the same time.

The pyramids were not build over a long time span by hard work. They were built by Thomas Edison in a single day.

Temples do not make you happy. Monuments do not make you happy. Libraries do not make you happy. Horses and stables do not make you happy. Markets don't make you happy. Plumbing does not make you happy. Opera does not make you happy. Money does not make you happy. Spaceships do not make you happy. Stonemasons make you happy.

Be careful around strange cities, they can throw stuff at you and kill you from miles away.

If you make friends with the little guy, he'll give you all his stuff.

Ghandi liked nukes.

Steve Jobs conducted trade missions by camel.

To those who say that Civ 5 is like a school environment, I share your views. If you attack a CS, the major powers view you as a bully that must be dealt with. If you are as weak as a CS, other major powers will bully you. If you have friendly major states, they will try and mooch off you if you have spare luxury resources.

Other things I learned:
- Trained (horse) archers can sometimes shoot as far as artillery can.
- Walls are still relevant in the modern era
- World is made out of hexagons
- Can't stuff 2 divisions of troops into an area.
- Whaling is not an international crime.
- We humans will eventually build giant death robots (and then live out the Terminator triliogy)
- 1 Nuke only wipes out half of a city
- India loves overpopulation
- Americans have good eyesight and have an excellent understanding of the property (tile) market
- Englishmen are good seafarers
- Frenchmen used to be cultured people (until steam power).
- Japanese soldiers fight like the Black Knight from Monty Python Holy Grail (9 HP gone...just a flesh wound).
- Modern day barbarians/pirates had destroyers.

When I made this post I intended it to be a serious discussion about what one can learn about [civ5][GandK]. There seams to be a few joke answers adding to the list. (examples above). There is already a thread out their of joke answers tot he question "what can you learn about the real world from Civ V?" Like this Thread mentioned Hear \/

If I have placed your thread here in my list of joke threads, and you do not believe it belongs here pleas make a post defending your point.

THANK YOU

Top Bottom