2013 NCAA Football Thread

Kiper has him at 13 now, so do a lot of draft boards. You can't keep ignoring on-field production forever.

Yes, yesterday's on-field production for Manziel will definitely be noted.

On another note, what ever happened to sportsmanship? Sure it looks impressive for Florida State to put up 80 on Idaho. Until you realize that Old Dominion put 59 points on Idaho the other week. Oh, and so did Mississippi. Not to mention undefeated Fresno State put 48 points on Idaho in one half (before showing normal sportsmanship and only adding 14 to that total in the final two quarters combined). So we get it Florida State, you can score on Idaho at will...just like every other team in FBS football (except Temple).

Well, they did pull Winston after the first drive of the third quarter, when the score was "only" 49-7. You can forgive them for not going into a shell considering their backup QB has had season-ending surgery and there is reason to believe Winston may become unavailable at some point. Macguire had thrown a total of seven passes going into Saturday's game vs. the Vandals, and even then he only attempted four in the fourth quarter, one of which was picked off. FSU's last two touchdowns came off a pick six and and seven-yard drive set up by another INT . . .

If the Pac 12 gets an at large bid over Wisconsin I'mma lose my mind.

On another note, what ever happened to sportsmanship? Sure it looks impressive for Florida State to put up 80 on Idaho. Until you realize that Old Dominion put 59 points on Idaho the other week. Oh, and so did Mississippi. Not to mention undefeated Fresno State put 48 points on Idaho in one half (before showing normal sportsmanship and only adding 14 to that total in the final two quarters combined). So we get it Florida State, you can score on Idaho at will...just like every other team in FBS football (except Temple).

You know exactly why FSU had to score 80. To please the idiot voters who don't watch games. Urban Meyer would do the exact same thing.

Well, they did pull Winston after the first drive of the third quarter, when the score was "only" 49-7. You can forgive them for not going into a shell considering their backup QB has had season-ending surgery and there is reason to believe Winston may become unavailable at some point. Macguire had thrown a total of seven passes going into Saturday's game vs. the Vandals, and even then he only attempted four in the fourth quarter, one of which was picked off. FSU's last two touchdowns came off a pick six and and seven-yard drive set up by another INT . . .

So the basic justification here is that because Florida State believes that their starting QB will soon be charged with crimes related to sexual misconduct, they were justified in both (1) playing him in the first half (and for short bit in the second half), AND (2) going full throttle with their backup QB to make sure he got his reps.

This brings up a few questions. First, why would the starting QB even be playing in the first place? It's standard operating procedure (typically outlined in the player code of conduct the players receive upon joining their college football team) to suspend a player who is a prime suspect in a criminal investigation.

Second, setting that entire ethical issue aside, Florida State has had numerous opportunities to get their backup QB's reps during this season. If they were worried about having an inexperienced backup come in in case the starter went down, maybe they should have played him during the Clemson blowout. Or what about the Maryland blowout? Or maybe the Wake Forest blowout? Or maybe the Syracuse blowout just last Saturday? There has been significant opportunity all season long to get the reps for the backups. They could have even pulled the starting QB at the end of the first quarter, thereby getting the reps in for the backup earlier!

You know exactly why FSU had to score 80. To please the idiot voters who don't watch games. Urban Meyer would do the exact same thing.

Florida State had to be unsportsmanlike in order to please the "idiot voters"? I really don't think it would change any voters minds whether Florida State trounced Idaho by 62 or 80.

As far as Urban Meyer is concerned, there isn't any support for what you are claiming. Urban Meyer has had plenty of opportunities to run up the score on his opponents. In fact, just earlier this year Ohio State was up 42-0 at the half against Purdue (Just like Florida State was against Idaho). But Ohio State, knowing it needed to impress voters, still showed sportsmanship and only put 14 up in the second half. So I am not sure where you are grounding your belief that Urban Meyer would do the same thing.

he doesn't have the prototypical NFL body

And Russell Wilson and Drew Brees walk in...

"Hey guys! whats up?"

I am becoming increasingly convinced that Johnny Manziel will be drafted in the top 10 by the Texans. Not just on his skill, but he would become the fan favorite as Houston has the largest concentration of Aggies outside of College Station.

Think $$$$

Florida State had to be unsportsmanlike in order to please the "idiot voters"? I really don't think it would change any voters minds whether Florida State trounced Idaho by 62 or 80.

As far as Urban Meyer is concerned, there isn't any support for what you are claiming. Urban Meyer has had plenty of opportunities to run up the score on his opponents. In fact, just earlier this year Ohio State was up 42-0 at the half against Purdue (Just like Florida State was against Idaho). But Ohio State, knowing it needed to impress voters, still showed sportsmanship and only put 14 up in the second half. So I am not sure where you are grounding your belief that Urban Meyer would do the same thing.

it's not unsportsmanlike at all if the other team can't stop your backups.

If the score is insurmountable, the officials will go to the team getting blown out and ask the coach if they want a running clock for the 2nd half. For some reason it has only happened twice this season, and i'm really not sure why teams aren't taking that option more. I guess Idaho thinks they are coming back from that 63 point deficit against Florida State in the third quarter. Regardless, it's not fun for anybody when blowouts like these happen. So regarding whatever bizarre reality Urban Meyer thinks he lives in, it doesn't matter since nobody actually knows how made up numbers like what the BCS has, actually works.

76-0 against Florida A&M. Save it.

Just admit your beef with FSU is ridiculous and only because you see the writing on the wall. OSU is going to get screwed over because of ridiculous media perceptions of the Big 10 v the ACC and OSU's supposed inability to win against good OOC opponents.

76-0 against Florida A&M. Save it.

Just admit your beef with FSU is ridiculous and only because you see the writing on the wall. OSU is going to get screwed over because of ridiculous media perceptions of the Big 10 v the ACC and OSU's supposed inability to win against good OOC opponents.

Alright, so essentially there is a confusion of the issues Azale. Particularly whether putting up 38 points in the second half and 21 points in the fourth quarter, constitutes sportsmanlike conduct versus the entirely separate issue of whether Ohio State is suffering from media bias in being kept from the National Title game. My point is to the former.

Let’s make sure that I make clear exactly what I have “beef” with. My “beef” is the fact that FSU put up 38 points in the second half and 21 points in the 4th quarter. To me, this screams of unsportsmanlike conduct. Particularly, when you have already amassed a 42-7 first half lead. Generally, if it is the first half of the game, a team gets a pass for going full throttle during that time period. My problem is the fact that after amassing this substantial lead, they went against the common sportsmanlike practice of limiting yourself to no more than 2-3 TD’s in the second half, and scoring 2 touchdowns (plus a FG) in the 3rd quarter, AND 3 additional TD’s in the 4th quarter. Is this the type of “sportsmanship” that we should be promoting and celebrating?

Now, you bring up an interesting point with the Ohio State-Florida A&M (FAMU) game. But this is distinguishable from the FSU-Idaho game in many respects. For example, Ohio State didn’t play their starting QB in that game for a single snap. Further, it only gave its starting RB 5 handoffs before benching him & giving a freshman RB (who ran for over 140 yds) the burden the rest of the game. But more convincingly, Ohio State went full throttle for the first half, putting up 55 points on FAMU. In the second half, there were clear indicators they called the dogs off. For example, OSU’s final touchdown to drive it up from the 60’s to the final 76 point total, came on a 14 play, 93 yard drive that took over 10 minutes to complete. Such a drive is a clear indicator of an intent to kill the clock and show mercy to an overmatched opponent.

That fundamental lack of an intent on the part of FSU to show mercy to a clearly overmatched opponent is my “beef” with FSU behavior this weekend. This, to me, is something we as a society should not be glorifying or even promoting. We should be looking down on such unsportsmanlike behavior, particularly in such a dangerous sport as this.

So the basic justification here is that because Florida State believes that their starting QB will soon be charged with crimes related to sexual misconduct, they were justified in both (1) playing him in the first half (and for short bit in the second half), AND (2) going full throttle with their backup QB to make sure he got his reps.
Change 'will' to 'could' and I think you've got it. Based on their behavior, the folks at FSU seem pretty confident that Winston will not be charged. Whether that belief is based on a superior knowledge of the facts or mere delusion remains to be seen . . .
This brings up a few questions. First, why would the starting QB even be playing in the first place? It's standard operating procedure (typically outlined in the player code of conduct the players receive upon joining their college football team) to suspend a player who is a prime suspect in a criminal investigation.
I've always thought that was unfair. It spits in the face of the presumption of innocence upon which our system of criminal justice depends. It's hardly alone in this, but, whatever . . .
Second, setting that entire ethical issue aside, Florida State has had numerous opportunities to get their backup QB's reps during this season. If they were worried about having an inexperienced backup come in in case the starter went down, maybe they should have played him during the Clemson blowout. Or what about the Maryland blowout? Or maybe the Wake Forest blowout? Or maybe the Syracuse blowout just last Saturday? There has been significant opportunity all season long to get the reps for the backups. They could have even pulled the starting QB at the end of the first quarter, thereby getting the reps in for the backup earlier!
Coker was injured in the Wake Forest game, so Maguire has only been the back up for two games, Syracuse and Idaho. He played the entire second half of Syracuse, during which FSU never had a drive that lasted for more than five plays, Maguire attempted a total of five passes, and the score somehow still managed to move from 38-0 to 59-3.
I outlined Maguire's performance in his second game as the backup in my last post . . .
it's not unsportsmanlike at all if the other team can't stop your backups.
Eh, this is a good theory -- and I think it applies in conference play -- but with the size of the disparity between the best FBS teams and some of the worse FBS and FCS teams on their schedules a little restraint is sometimes advisable . . .
OSU is going to get screwed over because of ridiculous media perceptions of the Big 10 v the ACC and OSU's supposed inability to win against good OOC opponents.
I'm not sure how many people think the ACC is any good . . .
. . . a 14 play, 93 yard drive that took over 10 minutes to complete. Such a drive is a clear indicator of an intent to kill the clock and show mercy to an overmatched opponent
What are you talking about? Alabama routinely puts together drives of this nature, often in the first quarter. Oh, wait . . . :mischief:

Let’s make sure that I make clear exactly what I have “beef” with. My “beef” is the fact that FSU put up 38 points in the second half and 21 points in the 4th quarter. To me, this screams of unsportsmanlike conduct. Particularly, when you have already amassed a 42-7 first half lead. Generally, if it is the first half of the game, a team gets a pass for going full throttle during that time period. My problem is the fact that after amassing this substantial lead, they went against the common sportsmanlike practice of limiting yourself to no more than 2-3 TD’s in the second half, and scoring 2 touchdowns (plus a FG) in the 3rd quarter, AND 3 additional TD’s in the 4th quarter. Is this the type of “sportsmanship” that we should be promoting and celebrating?

you don't know what "unsportmanslike conduct" is. if you're so worried about huge blowouts, why not make a mercy rule?

Great point. Both of them slipped out of the first round, despite strong achievements, because of their size.

Well, the thing is that Russell Wilson and Drew Brees were drafted in a time where those kind of measurables were paramount to pre draft QB evaluation. They are the guys that are making NFL scouts and coaches rethink how they evaluate QBs. It is the generation after them, the Manziels of the world, that would in theory reap the rewards by getting drafted in the first round. I say in theory, because I could be dead wrong and we watch Manziel fall in the draft next spring.

Top Bottom