2015 NCAA Football Thread

Meanwhile Alabama -- a team that does not even control our own destiny in our division -- is getting 15/1 to win the national title . . .

Meanwhile Alabama -- a team that does not even control our own destiny in our division -- is getting 15/1 to win the national title . . .

Well, with Ole Miss being exposed for the fraud they are (just like in every other season), I expect them to lose 2 or 3 more games at least, so as long as Alabama goes undefeated for the remainder of the season and wins the SEC, you'll be able to claw your way back into the playoff picture. I think people realize that deep down, which is why no one has truly counted Alabama out yet. Especially with what Ohio State did last year, there's no reason to believe Alabama can't do the exact same thing.

Just win the SEC, and you'll get your chance at the title.

Oh, that's all we have to do? And I thought it was going to be hard :lol:

Well, the way things are going, you should only really have LSU to worry about. Everybody is gushing over Florida right now, but they're going to lose at least two of their next three. Like I said, Ole Miss isn't done losing. Georgia has proven they are all bark and no bite yet again. Auburn is just in the toilet this year. So Alabama definitely has at least as good a shot as any other team to win the conference.

We don't play Florida unless we both win our divisions, but you forgot about that little trip we have to College Station as well . . .

If I was actually going to put money on it, I'd bet on LSU or UGA. We have to be perfect the rest of the way, and that only gives us a chance. LSU can still afford a mistake. UGA looked bad Saturday but they have a relatively easy course through the East and wouldn't have the weather to contend with in the championship game . . .

I think the current popular optimism about Alabama is as much of an overreaction as the gloom and doom was after the Ole Miss game. We are neither as bad as we looked then nor as good as we looked Saturday, and who knows how we'll play in the several very loseable games we have remaining. But that's what makes playing in a deep conference fun :dunno:

I just wish we hadn't used our mistake game so early . . .

Wow, Duke Williams out at Auburn. The hull is leaking there . . .

I just wish we hadn't used our mistake game so early . . .

I hate to keep bringing up OSU, but I think we proved last year that it is actually best to use up your mistake game early if you are going to use it at all. I think your game against LSU is going to have similar implications for you that OSU's game against MSU had for us last year. If you manage to win that one, it will erase the loss the Ole Miss just like OSU beating MSU erased the VT loss.

And I know Florida isn't in the division with Alabama, I was just bringing them up because I keep hearing the talking heads on ESPN talking about Florida winning the SEC this year. Sorry, it just isn't going to happen. They are definitely better, they just aren't quite back at that championship level yet.

I'm also pretty confident that Alabama is going to beat TAMU, since they are another team that always seems to fall apart in the mid to late season. You guys now got the head-to-head against Georgia, so as long as you both win out, Alabama wins the tie breaker. So that leaves LSU as the only really big hurdle for Alabama. If you guys can manage to get past LSU, you should have a pretty smooth road right into the playoffs.

EDIT: Here's a fun little exercise: What teams this year so far seem to be filling the roles of last year's playoff teams? For me the roles are as follows:

1. Last year's Alabama: Don't know. I don't think any team is really filling that role right now.
2. Last year's Oregon: Either TCU or Baylor.
3. Last year's Florida State: Ohio State.
4. Last year's Ohio State: Alabama.

Well UGA isn't in our division either, so our win over them is meaningless for us in the conference race and the loss only counts against them if they also lose another SEC game somewhere along the way. Their remaining SEC games are Tennessee, Mizzou, Florida, Kentucky and Auburn, so I still like their chances of getting to Atlanta . . .

But my point was just that using our mulligan against Ole Miss makes the season more stressful bc we don't have the game to play with that the undefeated contenders still have. I don't think timing matters in the playoff era as far as a team's chances at the postseason. If we had beaten Ole Miss and then won out until we suffered an inexplicable and embarrassing loss to a sub-.500 Auburn team, I am 100% confident we'd still make the playoffs if we won the conference title game the following week. This goes back to my point about how losses sadly just don't matter anymore . . .

And yes, if we do win out we'll probably be fine bc Ole Miss will probably lose again, but that's a pretty big if. Arkansas, Tennessee and Auburn don't look like as much of a threat as they did before the season started but I still see those as loseable if we play like we did vs. Ole Miss or if any of them start to play up to their potential and we play flat.

I'm not extremely worried about A&M bc I think we should dominate them up front but if it turns into a shootout we're screwed so I'd put them in a threat level higher than the first three . . .

Miss State is a bigger threat still bc even though A&M is the better team -- 30-17 better -- we play Miss State right after LSU just like we do every year, and every year you can see that the LSU game took a toll on us. No reason to think this year will be any different. Plus, if we do win vs. LSU and Ole Miss has lost, there is the risk that the players hit cruise control with only Miss State and Auburn left . . .

LSU is the biggest threat, but I like our chances better now that we've seen what our defense did to Chubb. They're different backs and I think Fournette will have more success than Chubb did, but at least it's not hopeless.

As for your exercise, I'd say Alabama is last year's Alabama -- lost to Ole Miss but still likely to make the playoffs . . .
Last year's Oregon I have no opinion. I do like Baylor better than TCU atm . . .
Last year's FSU to this year's Ohio State is the easy comparison everyone is making, so I of course agree . . .
For last year's Ohio State I'd say Michigan or maybe USC or ASU. All three of those teams suffered an early loss and look to be improving since, though the Pac-12 schools have each only played one game since their respective losses . . .

My mistake, I thought Georgia was on your side of the conference. I don't find anything in particular that I disagree with in your post.

If I had to guess right now, I would say the P5 conference that might be left out of the playoff this year may just be the Pac-12. Utah is definitely playoff worthy right now, but they are about to walk into the "minefield" part of their schedule where they will be playing some dangerous conference opponents. None of the other Pac-12 teams are good enough to make the cut in my opinion, so if Utah goes down, the Pac-12 will not be represented in this year's playoff. However, if Utah manages to make it through unscathed, then it will most likely be the ACC that gets left out in the cold.

It's probably too early to think about that. It's easy to see a scenario where any conference could have a champ that gets left out . . .

SEC divisions are pretty easy to keep up with btw. If you're southwest of the northeast corner of Alabama, you're in the West. Otherwise, you're in the East. That only works if you count Arkansas as Little Rock instead of Fayetteville, but whatever . . .

For last year's Ohio State I'd say Michigan or maybe USC or ASU. All three of those teams suffered an early loss and look to be improving since, though the Pac-12 schools have each only played one game since their respective losses . . .
Okay, so, not USC . . .

And yet again, the talking heads show they know absolutely nothing about how to properly analyze a game. They are saying that Ohio State is struggling with Maryland. This is simply not true. Sure the Buckeyes are only up by a touchdown, but anyone who has actually been watching the game knows that the Buckeyes have been dominating the game and Maryland's touchdowns came off two very lucky plays.

Perhaps we should stop keeping score then and have a panel of judges like in figure skating and gymnastics. Ohio State is struggling on technical merit but killing it on artistic impression.

Here Ohio State is again showing how completely undeserved they actually are being ranked #1 by having so much trouble with another mediocre opponent they shouldn't even be playing.

Not to mention it is nearly impossible to even watch the game due to the pretentious and overtly biased announcers glorifying their alma mater instead of objectively covering the game. Do they hold cheerleader tryouts to pick these obnoxious commentators?

Here Ohio State is again showing how completely undeserved they actually are being ranked #1 by having so much trouble with another mediocre opponent they shouldn't even be playing.

Would be a bit difficult for Ohio State to get out of playing a Big Ten game.

Another football season, another standout RB sees his career cut short . . .

My heart skipped a beat when I saw this because I thought "oh god did I miss something that happened to Fournette?"

Painful to see that injury. Second year in a row a UGA back gets seriously hurt too after Gurley, who thankfully seems to be recovering quite well. Shame Lattimore never recovered .

Word from UGA is that Chubb injury isn't nearly as awful as it looked on the replays, so lucky break there . . .

Ohio State's problem is that their schedule is so bad they really can't win. If they struggle at all it's inexcusable, but if they dominate well, that's what they're supposed to do against that level of competition. It looks like Michigan is trying hard to give them a worthy opponent late though . . .

Meanwhile plenty of other highly ranked teams have played just as unevenly and don't have to hear about it bc they're playing better teams. It's not really fair, but then it's also not fair that those teams with stiffer competition risk losses when they struggle while Ohio State doesn't . . .

In other news, two more top ten teams have lost to unranked opponents, and two more are trailing. In week six . . .

Saban's Alabama is 3-8 when trailing at the half, hasn't won when trailing at the half since 2010 . . .

If Florida beats Mizzou, Florida will have a two game lead over everyone in the East except Kentucky, and they already have the head-to-head over Kentucky . . .

Er, if we assume Florida loses to LSU, UGA could force a multi-team tie atop the East by winning the Cocktail party, and who knows how that would shake out at this point. So it's not quite as sure of a thing for Florida as it appeared at first glance . . .

At least we're not TCU . . .

Well that gives us the lead but it's hardly comfortable. Henry's got 69 yards on 19 carries . . .

TCU comes out from halftime on the right side of a pick six. I feel better about their chances than I do ours . . .

And Miami is making FSU look really good . . .

I guess Bielema liked our chances a lot more than I did . . .

Well, at least now all those people who only look at the scores won't know how badly we played . . .

Is Michigan going to just eat Michigan State alive, or what's going on up there . . ?

Henry sets school record with his eleventh straight game with a rushing TD . . .

And then we give up a fifty-four yard TD with ninety-seven seconds to go . . .

If it wasn't for those 7 lucky plays by Ohio State, Maryland's dominance would have been evident.

Except OSU was able to consistently move the ball down field whereas Maryland struggled on every drive.

I also love how everyone is so quick to dogpile on OSU, yet they keep winning whereas every other "contender" gets exposed for the fraud they are every week by losing.

This week's fraud: those Horned Frogs of the Christian persuasion that reside in Texas.

Arkansas had forty-four yards rushing, so we can't really blame the defense. I wish we were consistent enough on offense to enjoy it . . .

Top Bottom