21 burned in walk over hot coals at Robbins event

Gary Childress

Student for and of life
SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — Fire officials said 21 people at an event hosted by motivational speaker Tony Robbins suffered burns while walking across hot coals, and three of the injured were treated at hospitals.

The injuries took place during the first day Thursday of a four-day event at the San Jose Convention Center hosted by Robbins called "Unleash the Power Within." Most of those hurt had second and third degree burns, said San Jose Fire Department Capt. Reggie Williams.

Walking across hot coals heated to between 1,200 to 2,000 degrees provides attendees an opportunity to "understand that there is absolutely nothing you can overcome," according to the motivational speaker's website.

Robbins Research International said in a written statement that 6,000 attendees of the event walked across the coals Thursday.

Organizers had an "open burn permit" and medical staff at the event, and there was also a fire inspector on the scene, Williams said.

"Once they (the medical staff) became overwhelmed, our inspector called for us," Williams said.

Witness Jonathan Correll told the San Jose Mercury News that he "heard wails of pain, screams of agony."

One young woman appeared to be in so much pain "it was horrific," he told the newspaper. Attempts by The Associated Press to reach Correll were not immediately successful.

Participant Sahar Madani told KTVU-TV that attendees warned that they might get burns or blisters.

"The intention of the event is to get your focus and your attention away from that and look into the power within yourself and focus on just walking on the fire," she told the station.

Robbins Research International said Friday, "We have been safely providing this experience for more than three decades, and always under the supervision of medical personnel ... We continue to work with local fire and emergency personnel to ensure this event is always done in the safest way possible."

Williams did not have any additional details, such as the ages or names of those hurt.

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20120721/3a3a859b-c28e-4e74-a03b-caaf2ef2b7f3

OK. I had heard about the "fire walkers" thing before. I thought it was some kind of staged gimmick. I didn't realize they used REAL hot coals and stuff. Has anyone ever attended one of these events and actually walked on hot coals? How the heck do you walk on hot coals and NOT get burned? :confused:

I think it's because the coals tend to be poor heat conductors. Thus they can be really hot, but if you move quickly across them, and don't touch anything other than the top layer, then your feet can handle it.

Edit: Wikipedia has a page all about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewalking

My guess is they botched the preparation.

As far as I know as long as your feet doesn't touch the coal for too long then you won't get burned, sort of like waving your hand through open flames won't burn you. Apparently their feet were in one spot for too long.

If you need to walk over hot coal in order to get motivated, you're pretty hopeless anyway.

I think it's because the coals tend to be poor heat conductors. Thus they can be really hot, but if you move quickly across them, and don't touch anything other than the top layer, then your feet can handle it.

Edit: Wikipedia has a page all about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewalking

My guess is they botched the preparation.
Well, once at Saint John's Night i walked over hot coals ("ascuas" in spanish) carrying a girl at my back and my feet got deep into the coals. It is very simple indeed: you must obviously walk quickly and step hard, so contact last only a fraction of second and hot coals flame go out briefly when your foot hits it hard.

I didnt get burned but my feet feel somewhat scalded for a couple of days afterwards. Surely a couple of steps more and i would have got some nice burns.

@Oldschooler88: i wouldnt say i was hopeless only a bit tipsy. ;)

At least they didn't try to remove any cancerous tumors with their hands, read any palms, or tell the fortunes of any presidents.

From the Wiki article:

When the coal cools down, its temperature sinks below the flash point, so it stops burning, and no new heat is generated.

Coals which have not burned long enough can burn feet more quickly. Coals contain water, which increases their heat capacity as well as their thermal conductivity. The water must be evaporated already when the firewalk starts.
Someone didn't do some basic research...

I did once when I was in Venezuela only because the tourists were afraid of doing it themselves thinking it wouldn't be safe and they'd get burned.

I was shocked that the coals didn't burn my feet, it was no hotter than walking on a sunny beach. I didn't get my feet deep in like Thorgalaeg though.

Walking across hot coals heated to between 1,200 to 2,000 degrees provides attendees an opportunity to "understand that there is absolutely nothing you can overcome," according to the motivational speaker's website.

There's NOTHING you can overcome.. DO you hear me? You won't be able to walk over hot coals.. Get it!?? Heck, you won't even be able to make a sandwich. Now go and cry in the corner like the little sob you are

There's NOTHING you can overcome.. DO you hear me? You won't be able to walk over hot coals.. Get it!?? Heck, you won't even be able to make a sandwich. Now go and cry in the corner like the little sob you are

Gary is a good OP :lol:

Mythbusters tried this a while ago. Among other things ash coats the coals to insulate them. One of their guys (Adam of course) dug his feet into the coals too much and got burned.

I read that the problem here was that the line wasn't wide enough and too many people tried to go at once which slowed them down too much.
Sounds like a good setup for a class-action lawsuit against the organisers.

If you need to walk over hot coal in order to get motivated, you're pretty hopeless anyway.

I feel sorry for them, but lets' say none of us our hopeless.

Three cups of coffee in the morning and some ambition works wonders for me though. I've no urge to even get sun-burned.

I read that the problem here was that the line wasn't wide enough and too many people tried to go at once which slowed them down too much.
Sounds like a good setup for a class-action lawsuit against the organisers.

I'd be really surprised if they didn't require liability waivers.

I'd be really surprised if they didn't require liability waivers.

Dunno how American law works, but over here a liability waiver wouldn't save the organisers if gross negligence could be proven.

Yeah, that's near universal. Waivers don't protect you from negligence.

I know this is a bit of a bump, but coming from a religious perspective, Robbins is a joke. His theology is way off Biblical standards, and these "fire walker" events just end up in people getting hurt, and more mistrust being placed upon Christianity.

Exactly.

Top Bottom