Save the Mongols

tR1cKy

taking over the world
It's time for something new...

...a fight for survival...

...the salvage of a lost civilization...

...land to conquer, enemies to fight...

...are you ready?

hmm... as history teaches, the Romans seems to be in favour of racial integration. The arrive of this strange foreigner is welcomed by an immediate palace upgrade! But... the capital is yet to be founded and the palace doesn't exist yet, so what am i supposed to expand exactly? :crazyeye:

now... how does it works?

The mongol worker will be joined in a city, then it will be used to produce a mongol settler, that will be joined again in a city so to produce two mongol workers. Repeating this process over and over will result in the Mongol civ flourish as part of the Roman empire. This is my the immediate goal... well actually i have 2 immediate goals, the second one being to survive. This will be a tough game.

After some testing i kinda figured out how the process works. If the city with the mongol unit grows to size 3 then produce a settler, the mongol unit will stay in the city and the settler produced will be Roman. This obviously won't help.

Something different happens when the city is kept at size 2 with zero growth, the settler is completed and in the interturn the city is abandoned. In this case the settler produced is mongol and so the growth is possible.

I still don't know exactly what happens when the settler is joined and we try to extract the 2 workers. A mongol worker can be extracted for sure, but the 2nd worker may as well be roman, with the 2nd mongol being locked forever in the city. But in this case the city may be abandoned with the method above so to extract a new mongol settler. In this case we'll end up with a worker and a settler, for a total population of 3. It's a less efficient process, but still a growth.

As the game goes on (hopefully) the conquered civs will be included in this process, whenever possible. The final goal is to win by conquest, by having the highest number possible of foreign citizens in our empire. The assimilation factor has been set to zero for all the governments, so a captured citizen will retain its nationality forever.

Moreover, i'll be using the conqueror variant, whose rules are:
1) no intentional city razing (autorazing of size 1 cities does not count);
2) no population starving, unless it's necessary to prevent a riot. It's not compulsory to raise the lux slider for this purpose, so the general rule is that you can starve if the governor would do so with the "manage city mood" flag activated.
3) no city abandoning, except for these 2 cases:
- the city is pop 1, zero growth, a worker is completed and in the interturn you choose to abandon;
- same as above, but with city pop 2 and a settler;

Finally, to make up this thing i had to generate a map and place the Roman start point and the Mongol one next to each other. This mean a certain prior knowledge of the map. I'm balancing this by intentionally choosing an unfavourable start. It won't take long to figure it out.

To sum up things, we have:
- an overcrowded map
- played at Deity level
- with a bad start
- with two variants that will add extra difficulty for the human player.

Definitely a harsh game to play. But high difficulty level with bad starts is exactly the situation where i perform better, so i think i'll be able to survive long enough to provide an interesting game log :D

Oh, despite the intro this thing will be mostly a gamelog and not a story. I tried once to write a storylike thread but i lost the inspiration quite soon, so don't expect too much about it.

Hope you like the idea. Feedback is appreciated, but please don't spam if i'm not too fast with updates ;)

~~~ to be continued ~~~

:dizzy: OK, I think I get it and how you'll get lots of Mongols in your empire. Good luck surviving.

Also, I never knew you could upgrade a palace without a city before. Nice find.

It's been a day CRA. Look at the legendary games while you wait, I think tricky has two games in it and they're quite good.

This looks just a little tR1cKy

A screenshot is worth one thousand words...

It's 3750 BC and we already got an idea of the Roman situation. Not encouraging.

We're on a small island, but the terrain is fairly good. We can connect a luxury and take advantage of an irrigable wheat tile. It is also possible to have a good ring city placement. No less than 4 cities may be founded at distance 3.5 from the capital.

So it's possible to build a core of productive and uncorrupted settlements. And this means that we'll be able to get away from the island with relative ease and, more important, we'll have the necessary shields for a fast military buildup.

And now with the ugly part. Greece.

That pesky Greek settlerment seems put there with the precise intention of hampering our initial expansion. The plain tile S-SW-SW or Rome was the ideal place for the 2nd roman city, but now we must change our plan, since founding a city there would mean a constant risk of cultural flip. At deity level Greece is known to be an aggressive culture monger in the early game.

Having a contact so early brings some positive effect, but in the specific we cannot trade our best asset (Alphabet) since Greece knows it too. This also means that we're quite likely to be beaten on Writing.

The meeting with Greece also brings a difficult decision that is to be taken now.

They need Pottery and Warrior Code. By trading them, we can get one tech to be choosen between Bronze Working or Masonry. We can't have both, even if we toss in all the money we have.

Both of them are valid picks. Bronze will give us spearmen and pave the way for Iron Working (legionaries). With Masonry we'll be able to research Mathematics (catapults). It is quite possible that we won't meet anyone else before sailing off the island, and for that time a few catapults will be necessary to soften the Greek defenders, so both the tech are equally important, if seen in perspective.

There's also a third option: not trading anything.

With Pottery and War Code already known, the Greeks are more likely to go for Writing and beat us to it. So it could be better to wait a few turns. But in the meantime they could get the techs with other contacts... and so we would end up with nothing to trade.

What will be our course of action? Just wait and see...

~~~ to be continued ~~~

3600BC

After some thought, i decided to get Bronze Working from Greece, giving them Pottery and Warrior Code. Was it the right move? Time will tell.

One thing is pretty clear: to survive in this game we'll have to take out the most possible from what we have. Every single shield of production, every food excess, every unit of money will be important. A precise micromanagement is therefore essential to win.

Rome has produced a second warrior unit, that will explore north and return back to the capital in time to act as military police once the city will be size 2, so we won't have to rise the luxury slider, at least for now.

Barracks are being built now, and a settler will follow. The worker team has roaded and mined the bonus grassland S of the city, and now is going to road the other bonus grassland NW of it. They won't mine it, but will move S-S of Rome and improve the bonus grassland there, to have it ready for city 2 that will be founded on the hill where the warrior stands.

Why so? It's because we don't need the extra production right now. To have the settler completed in time for Rome to grow size 3, four shields per turn will be enough. The worker turns are better used southward, to prepare the road for the settler and have the active tile produce gold from the beginning.

Any other course of action would either a) lose gold in Rome, b) waste shields in Rome, c) slow the settler or d) lose gold / production in city 2;

~~~ to be continued ~~~

It's done with Paint Shop Pro. You select a box and use the flood fill into it. Before painting, you change the percentage of opacity. The default is 100%. By lowering it, you obtain trasparency.

3450 BC

A little change. The southern warrior was able to reach Rome in 3 turn and had nothing else to explore, so it was sent to the capital for MP duty, while the northern unit did explore a little more land.

Meanwhile...

~~~ to be continued ~~~

Well, there's nothing much to do for the moment, so our characters have time for some casual chatting... :D

3100 BC

The team has improved the BG for city 2 and now prepares to work the wheat tile; the upcoming settler is timed perfectly with city growth;

Oversea, the land seems already filled; another greek city has been founded westward and to the south a different border is now visible. Egypt? Still a better foe that Greece.

Meanwhile...

~~~ to be continued ~~~

Last post reminded me of Basketcases deity game speech bubbles. :lol:

Yay! tr1cky starts a new game! :D

Do you have a link to where I could download this Paint Shop Pro? :)

Top Bottom