2nd UU

SadoMacho

spanker of civilizations
How about making a 2nd UU MOD for RFC?

I was thinking about Japanses Zero's, US Nimitz Class carriers, French Foreign Legion, Tutonic Knights in Germany and so on...

Ideas?

Egypte : Mamluk (replaces Knight, cost 90, strenght 8)
India
China
Babylon
Greece
Persia : Parthian Hores Archer (Replaces hores archer, +2 first strikes)
Chartage: War elephant (replaces War Elepahant (need new name), +25% vs Melee)
Rome: Swiss Guard (replaces pikeman, +25 vs melee)
Japan: Zero (replaces fighter, +1 Range or +100% vs naval units (Pearl Harbor events, not to historical)
Ethiopia
Maya : Plumed Archer (replaces archer, pass trough jungle, woodsman I (and II?))
Viking: longboat (replaces caravel, can carry all units cargo : 1 ?-> hard for Spannish UHV)
Arabia : Mujahedin (replaces marine strenght 20, cost 100)
Khmer: Guerrilia (replaces marine, Woodsman I)
Spain
France
England: Spritefire (replaces fighter, Interception promotion free, don't want a ship -> UP)
Germany: Teutonic Knight (replaces Maceman, +25% vs archers)
Russia: T-?? (replaces tanks, starts with drill I and II)
Dutch
Mali
Portugal
Incan: Quechua (1st UU replaces swordsman, no iron, strenght 5, speed 2(read the civilopedia))
2nd UU?
Mongolian
Aztec: Eagle warrior (replaces pikeman, no iron, strenght 5, pass trough jungle)
Turkey
USA: minute man (replaces rifleman, +25% defence vs. rifleman)

British one is easy I reckon some sort of Ship like an English Ship of the Line or an early industrial age Dreadnought.

Khmer you could have industrial period partisan units :p

France Chivalric Knights or Industrial period Leionaires

German Teutonic Knights

USA Minutemen in place of riflemen.

Egypt Nubian slave warriors could be mounted cav or spearmen

Carthage Elephants!!!

...and and and im out of ideas.

Each corresponds to the age of their UHV, so there is no reason to add another.

Greece - hetairoi (Companion cavalry - a key part of Alexander's army)

Carthage - some kind of early war elephant? Hannibal crossing the alps and all.

Rome - difficult, there are a bunch of units I can think of which would be contemporary with the praetorians but... maybe it would be better to have Genoese crossbowmen or something as a later Italian unit.

Viking - an upgraded galley? Maybe even one that could traverse ocean tiles (slowly) to colonise Iceland, Greenland and Newfoundland.

Arabia - it would be interesting to do a special missionary rather than a military unit, to reflect the rapid spread of Islam.

England (or Britain?) - I'm with Corm, something naval like a dreadnought.

Mongolian - some sort of siege unit, the Mongols were very innovative when it came to capturing cities; combining Chinese and Islamic technology in a variety of ways and became very good at it. It would also help them expand early, because I've always been disappointed with how they perform in game compared to history.

Turkey - a grand bombard, like the one used to capture Constantinople.

Those are my ideas. I dunno if it's such a good idea though, seems like a lot of work and balance issues for no good reason.

How about a UU set after (or before) a time when they may have collapsed? A reward for survival (other then surviving)?

Egypt - Not my specialty, though axeman seems to come up a lot for some reason when mentioned. My suggestion is to go for something available later on; if they survive or reappear - something associated with the Fatimids, perhaps?
India - something fair. I never quite felt that a +1 move worker (when they already have two moves) was all that great...
Chinese - Fire Lance? An early musketman? A cheaper musketman? Or some kind of cannonry?
Greece - I'm not quite sure how Byzantine works, as is, beyond that it starts out as being an aditional power in the 600 AD scenario. Can Greece respawn in this one? Can Byzantine appear in the original scenario? If not - perhaps Greece should have a Cataphract, to represent them. I really dislike seeing both UUs occur at the same time. Failing that: Companion Cavalry?
Charthage - Elephants (that can cross mountains!... or with a bonus for hills of some sort, I don't know) sound like the best way to go. Or something to represent the Berbers or Almohads?
Rome - a classic-era unit might be too predicatable - how about something representing the Papal States? Such as, maybe, the Pikeman from the Charlemane scenario?
Japan - I don't know much about Japanese history. So Ninja Catgirl it is. (kidding)
Viking - Longboat. I don't know much about the strengths of the Longboat, but perhaps it has a chance to sail over Ocean tiles (a 50% chance of sinking in the process?) or its better at attacking, or moves faster or retreats from combat or units carried count as having Amphibious or its stronger. I don't know, to be honest.
France - Maginot Line. Replaced Machine Gun. Does nothing. Or, more seriously, perhaps something Napoleonic? The guard? Something cannony?
England/Britain - Some ideas only work if its considered as Britain; Welsh Longbowmen and Blackwatch for instance. Otherwise, a Man o War or Privateer may work, perhaps? To be honest, I'm realy in favour of the Dreadnaught (possibly as a replacement to Ironclad? Or one of the later ships, available sooner and cheaper?). Or Challenger II instead of Modern Armour?
Germany - can we get away with the HRE unique unit?
Russia - It's hard for me to not to suggest something that doesn't start with the letter 'T' and end in a two-digit number. So, either them for Red Army.
Turkey - Siphai. Spahi. Horsey.
USA - Another vote for minutemen - a UU to go up against the British Red Coats.

Edit:
Ack, I hadn't considered the Bombard! That would be a good one! If only the Constantinople didn't seem to fall so quickly last time I saw it...

German: Landsknecht (Replaces Pikeman, +100% vs melee )

Roman: Praetorians (replaces Maceman. Rename Praetorians to Legionaries)

If you did that... I think it would be better to call them Comitatenses or Limitanei to represent the later Roman army with Legionaries for the early ones (or more specifically Hastati, Principes or Triarii). I've never liked the use of the Praetorians, they never did any proper fighting and on the whole they were probably a more a hindrance to the stability of the Empire than anything else.

If you did that... I think it would be better to call them Comitatenses or Limitanei to represent the later Roman army with Legionaries for the early ones (or more specifically Hastati, Principes or Triarii). I've never liked the use of the Praetorians, they never did any proper fighting and on the whole they were probably a more a hindrance to the stability of the Empire than anything else.

I wasn't very happy too. However Praetorians are much more famous than Comitatenses or Limitanei (BTW: I prefer Comitatenses because Limitanei just protected borders).

I actually made a mod of this myself for Civ IV, haven't tried to move it into RFC, though.

Some of my ideas (others are just weird and I don't think would be appreciated).

America: Minutemen, Cheap weak muskets.

Eagle warrior: crossbow that doesn't require iron, has movement bonus (represents atlatl)

England: Origionally Ship of the like, but I then added that to all civs, so I entered the dreadnought, an early availability battleship.

Germany: needlegunners, riflemen with bonus first strikes (being an early breechloader). I had landschnekt that were replaced when the HRE had the exact same unit.

Greece: the obvious Companion Cavalry

India: Indian War elephant, either very strong horse archer, or war elephant with first strikes

Japan: the Zero. Has extra range

Spain: Tercio, musket with large bunus vs. Cavalry.

Korea: Slow, powerful, expensive trireme (considering requiring iron).

Vikings: longship, a trireme that can carry only berserks (I could never get this implimented right.

My favourite was the Persian Qizilbash. It is another unit in the archer line, but it replaces the musket (I had previously modded my game that longbows upgrade to muskets). Instead of being a powerful attacker negating city walls, it became a powerful defender, making up for muskets anbility to ngate city walls. THis was the only one that was a dramatic change.

And whitefire, why add this? What if you play beyond the UHV time, then these can be useful, or just to add some new units.

"Because it would be cool!", is not a valid reason. If it has an effect on gameplay and balance, then I could understand it.

I disagree, I think most mods are started with wouldn't it be cool if... balancing and gameplay come later. The only difference is he's suggesting modding a mod, which I personally think is cool in itself :p

How about making a second UU part of a different victory approach then? Domination is nearly impossible in late game, but most civs by that time are way past their UHVs, so that leaves diplomacy and space. One peacefull, one semi-peacefull. Why not spice that up a little by opening up more windows of opportunity towards the end? And a juicy UU sometime after the american spawn might do just that. Obviously though, most of what was proposed in this thread wouldn't qualify.

Second line of thought: more stealth-like UUs! Picking up the idea of a special missionary for the arabs (khmer could be similar) that should have the ability to operate unseen, as in ignoring closed borders without penalties. USA, GB, Russia would historically qualify for some kind of enhanced spy, others for partisan-like units. Ok, still a raw idea, but what about that?

Oops, i forgot cultural. But that strengthens my point even more. Let's make warmongers happy campers...

A good second UU for the Vikings could be the longboat. A galley that can move trough ocean, but if it ends the turn in an ocean tile, it could sink. Like in civ 3

Nope, still don't see why. This is not Total Realism, this is RFC. But if you guys want to do this for yourself, by all means.

Why would anyone want to have a special missionary for the Arabs? Isn't the spread of islam rightly represented by their Unique Power?

Plus well.. To be honest, the spread of Islam wasn't exactly peaceful...

Well, you got a point there. Btw, we're not allowed to eat missionaries even with the most barbaric civics... bug? :D

An example why I want to have a 2nd UU is Egypte:
It has it's warchariot during the ancient age but often in RFC it excist in later ages when it was the mamluke empire in real life. I would like to see some mamluks fight too. I would love to see a 2nd UU in an other era than the 1st UU. Mainley used by the AI controled civs.

So, I was thinking of
Egypte : Mamlukes (some sort of knight unit)
USA: Minuteman would be nice (rifleman of some sort)
Germany : a unit in the Middle Ages (Tutonic knights(a maceman) or the Landsknecht)
France : foreign legion (rifleman)
Japan : zero's (fighter)
Russia : Tsomething (Tank)
Viking : longboot (Caravel that can carry a unit) (exeption, same age as 1st UU)
Khmer : Jungle Guerrila (Marrine or rifleman with Woodsman I and II)
Chartage : some sort of warelefant (maybe an early one)
England : Man'o'War ; Spritefire fighter; ???
Arabia Mujahedin (= some sort of marine)
Persia : some sort of horse archer

more ideas are welcome (and links to places with a nice unit too)

@Whitefire: I didn't expect you to make the 2nd UU comp. I will do it meself and I'll hope you'll like it. I'll hope you will help in balancing this too. We'll gone need all the help he can get.

Top Bottom