3.0 discussion

made an edit while you posted, reposted so you didn't miss it.
Oh and you forgot to mention SR in your modcast fool!
Next time maybe. 1 month? GL with the baby btw.

uhhh.... k, but not until after I've completed the thinning. That way I can just compare the raw trigger file to the new one and see what I've eliminated. I've changed the language of a lot rather than eliminating. However stuff like the archery related or sword related ones I just tossed them outright. I am unsure if I've eliminated any others.

I did do some rescripting of some events though. For example I reduced the :commerce: bonus for the subway event and increased :health: slightly. Made way more sense since these schemes are key to eliminating a lot of unhealthy smog problems (see LA vs NY). Also I re-scripted the comet event to occur anywhere and potently destroy improvements. It was previously only scripted to happen in tundra squares which would predominantly be Canada/NR/U?S. I'm not trying to eliminate any if possible.

edit: fyi I am also striking the first aviation circumnavigation event, because it's already happened. If you want a to replace it with a similar space flight event that should work. The event is known as SOLO_FLIGHT.

Edit2:
Also something's been bugging me lately. Whales as food. Not acceptable in North America or much of anywhere for that matter (same issue with the sea turtles) I'm wondering if maybe there is something else to replace it with.'

edit3:
And do you know where the religious adjectives are stored I'd like to make sure I do not :):):):) the those up.

uhhh.... k, but not until after I've completed the thinning. That way I can just compare the raw trigger file to the new one and see what I've eliminated. I've changed the language of a lot rather than eliminating. However stuff like the archery related or sword related ones I just tossed them outright. I am unsure if I've eliminated any others.
no rush. i say take your time. i really want to get a coder before we go crazy with it :)

I did do some rescripting of some events though. For example I reduced the :commerce: bonus for the subway event and increased :health: slightly. Made way more sense since these schemes are key to eliminating a lot of unhealthy smog problems (see LA vs NY). Also I re-scripted the comet event to occur anywhere and potently destroy improvements. It was previously only scripted to happen in tundra squares which would predominantly be Canada/NR/U?S. I'm not trying to eliminate any if possible.
good idea.
edit: fyi I am also striking the first aviation circumnavigation event, because it's already happened. If you want a to replace it with a similar space flight event that should work. The event is known as SOLO_FLIGHT.
thats fine it has no place.

i hope we can spend extra time making some quests. i want several "green revolution events" that will involve solar buildings ect.

Edit2:
Also something's been bugging me lately. Whales as food. Not acceptable in North America or much of anywhere for that matter (same issue with the sea turtles) I'm wondering if maybe there is something else to replace it with.'
we should remake them into "preserving whales" for a health yield. and make a new graphic. also we will need new graphics so im gonna create a thread for you to post requests to me.
edit3:
And do you know where the religious adjectives are stored I'd like to make sure I do not :):):):) the those up.

they are in the text reference xml's i believe. i will dig in there when i get a moment

we should remake them into "preserving whales" for a health yield. and make a new graphic.

Give a :commerce: bonus as well, people pay to go whale watching and :):):):) like that as it is.

hey i mentioned you in modcast episode 39 last sunday. i mentioned just your forum name and that you had come to help with the mod. i also said i want to build a team to get some polish on the mod.

thank you for you help bro :)

cool I assume you meant 38 or something unless you are way behind in your editing. I don't recall it happening in 37, but I may have been distracted by modding the events.

Had a short break for about a week because I had some work related stuff and had to repair my xbox 360 so that my roommates would get off my ass about trying to use my computer.

Have you ever seen the interstate event? All it does is a call out to a python function. I'm wondering if it increases movement on roads or if it actually builds a new road network.

lol no wonder you never get any work done on this mod.

lol yeah the modcast took up all my extra curricular time, :lol:

somtimes it hard too to sit down and edit audio for hours

also i noticed your political compass is more hippe commie than mine was, wow i had like -7 -7

Just went through some resource related events and it occurs to me that some of the resources seem like they are inappropriate as resources for this scenario.

Fur and incense should be changed entirely because their production and use has changed so much as to make them irrelevant as resources. Contrary to popular belief we Canadians do not trap beaver anymore. At least not in significant numbers. Most fir is derived from factory fur farms.

Ivory, is completely off the map and could be replaced by anything.

Perhaps, horses as well, since if usefull they are often simply bred in varying places, and they generally don't increase productivity much in the macro scope of things. Stone?

Perhaps it sounds like I'm picking nits but it seems like we could use this to add more modern resources.
For instance you could make a resource "Ecological Hotspot" a term used to reflect places where the ecology is massive and diverse. The improvement could be a forest preserve. A similar idea to the whale thing.

However another thing occurs to me, such resources are not something that should be aloud to be traded. Clearly the point of these resources is to make nothing be extracted and they cannot be tradable the same way that commodities can. Do you agree?

Edit:
Also, what program do you use to edit modcast and how much editing do you have to do?
oh and I think I'm becoming a tyrant, I used to score -9/-8. I suppose age really does turn you into more of a fascist.

Just went through some resource related events and it occurs to me that some of the resources seem like they are inappropriate as resources for this scenario.

Fur and incense should be changed entirely because their production and use has changed so much as to make them irrelevant as resources. Contrary to popular belief we Canadians do not trap beaver anymore. At least not in significant numbers. Most fir is derived from factory fur farms.

Ivory, is completely off the map and could be replaced by anything.

Perhaps, horses as well, since if usefull they are often simply bred in varying places, and they generally don't increase productivity much in the macro scope of things. Stone?
whale=oceanic preserve
beaver=Wildlife Preserve
horses=remake into drugs
marble=?
Perhaps it sounds like I'm picking nits but it seems like we could use this to add more modern resources.
For instance you could make a resource "Ecological Hotspot" a term used to reflect places where the ecology is massive and diverse. The improvement could be a forest preserve. A similar idea to the whale thing.
i like the idea of that. gonna add it to the list
However another thing occurs to me, such resources are not something that should be aloud to be traded. Clearly the point of these resources is to make nothing be extracted and they cannot be tradable the same way that commodities can. Do you agree?
i agree to a point but i say lets leave the mechanic there to help with diplomacy, and maybe make some into bonus resources that cant be traded.

Edit:
Also, what program do you use to edit modcast and how much editing do you have to do?
oh and I think I'm becoming a tyrant, I used to score -9/-8. I suppose age really does turn you into more of a fascist.

i use audacity.

you made the dali lama look like W bush :lol:

that is surely going to change the context of the horsewhispering quest.

I suggest you keep marble, it actually has some commercial and practical uses, but stone on the other-hand is not appropriate as a resource.

If you would like to make eco-zones a tile it would be interesting perhaps to make them a tile type or perhaps a feature that can be cleared, instead of a resource. You could just have the removal, protection, or non-protection working of the tiles call out to a python event that would cause the diplomacy modifiers.

As I understand it this approach actually requires little if any c++ modding.

PS, the dali lama is a fascist. -5/-6 please.

edit:Hey just thought something up, instead of stone how about archeological resources? That would make good sense even as a trade item.

i was thinking we could do the graphic for that by taking the stone and enlarging it. then putting prehistoric glyphs on the sides

Dont tell me wife that the D.L. is fascist coz she a tibetan Buddhist :rotfl:

@all
i will start on these new graphics when season 2 comes to a close, a bit later this month. and after that we are doing a once-per-month episodes so we can get this mod finished hopefully before civ5:lol:

Sounds good on the stone graphic, but maybe you could add a dinosaur bone or another fossil in the rock to add the symbolism of that as well. Also make sure the hieroglyph is consistent with an ancient north american native language like a Mayan hieroglyph. Don't half ass it with an Egyptian one.

Also for making drugs a resource, Perhaps there should be a specification of which drugs are being produced. Specifically the only drug that needs a set location is cocaine. Marijuana (and opium?) can also be produced in some optimal locations so using a location for those places would merit a resource bonus. If we have the extra resource slots we may as well make them different resources maybe?
However, I'm perplexed by how this concept would be framed in nations like Canada or US where such inclinations run counter to actual drug policy. Probably something to work out once we are working on the corporations more where a nationally syndicated drug cartel was discussed as an option for the game.

edit: also I was kidding about D.L., though I really think he needs to grow some backbone on Tibet. Pacifism is not an appropriate response to ethnic cleansing IMO, but enough political talk.

Sounds good on the stone graphic, but maybe you could add a dinosaur bone or another fossil in the rock to add the symbolism of that as well. Also make sure the hieroglyph is consistent with an ancient north american native language like a Mayan hieroglyph. Don't half ass it with an Egyptian one.

that will be good. some of these resources can be just bonuses, without an improvement.
Also for making drugs a resource, Perhaps there should be a specification of which drugs are being produced. Specifically the only drug that needs a set location is cocaine. Marijuana (and opium?) can also be produced in some optimal locations so using a location for those places would merit a resource bonus. If we have the extra resource slots we may as well make them different resources maybe?
However, I'm perplexed by how this concept would be framed in nations like Canada or US where such inclinations run counter to actual drug policy. Probably something to work out once we are working on the corporations more where a nationally syndicated drug cartel was discussed as an option for the game.
there is a graphic for cocaine here tell me what you think. i want any drugs to be tradeable luxuries and maybe we can even come up with a building too. (you know come to think of it we need unique buildings too)

edit: also I was kidding about D.L., though I really think he needs to grow some backbone on Tibet. Pacifism is not an appropriate response to ethnic cleansing IMO, but enough political talk.

yeah i figured. :p
but really Buddhism has helped me alot on life, but im not a buddhist nor do i like get down and pray.

also if you want to light up the political debate thread! thats where we keep all the rants so they dont get mixed up in modding :)

that's some nice coke there tony. Looks awesome to me.

Top Bottom