3.10 Playtest Feedback

There's no precedent for pantheons boosting classical era buildings... I would just remove it. The ability is still on Manann, if anything it makes Celts feel more special, so I'm cool with it.

edit: also, weird Carthage interaction. Boo

Last edited:
Ok so you want to remove bonuses from the resources and...towards a building perhaps? I know on discord we discussed moving the +2 food from coast cities -> the lighthouse, which I could see.
Yeah, I mentioned that earlier in this thread as well. I would keep the bonuses on fishing boats/atolls, but change 2 food/1 faith in coastal cities to 2 food/2 faith on the lighthouse. Given how late the lighthouse comes at Sailing, which is later than any other pantheon building, I think that’s already a pretty drastic nerf. It turns God of the Sea into a more niche pick when you want to rush sailing on a sea lux start (or if you’re Carthage), rather than something you default to on a sea lux start.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but food is like one of the least needed yields for a coastal/fishing boats start. And giving it on lighthouse, which also basically solves food needs from coast, seems like yield bloat that doesn't do anything. Like, even getting border growth points instead would be better, because at least that way you spread out to atolls and far fish faster.

The issue here is I guess the ability to purchase (if you have the gold) workboats which connects a resource so much faster compared to building a camp, mine, quarry or jungle/forest-covered calendar resource.
Its also a food resource while giving happiness (and other bonuses) at the same time.
Its ofc far better on waterbased maps (including communitu) map compared to pangea or even more heavy land maps.

If the issue with God of the Sea is bonkers sea monopoly starts why are we nerfing the flat bonus on it? I'd say instead make it better at using coast tiles in general (something like Open Sky with flats) with no "extra" bonus on sea resources or for boats. It'd be similar to a Stars & Sky nerf that was proposed once and I think didn't pass (and that Pantheon is still way more OP than Sea is imo.)

While I've only played three full games on the new patch (and honestly I had barely played in the prior few months), I feel like difficulty needs to be looked at. I played my first game on emperor, as I normally do, and it was very easy. Second game I had a much less favorable situation yet it was still fairly easy. Then I started my third game on immortal yesterday, and it has been significantly harder. I think the gap in bonuses between emperor and immortal should be lessened. How many people actually play on anything less than King?

Since I can't find anything specific to the 3.10.14 version, I will just add my notes of that version here. I played two Marathon games with that, btw.

Version 3.10.14
  1. It seems like common sense that Markets should reduce unhappiness due to poverty by 1 at the very least. So, if you do that, maybe also increase poverty somehow?
  2. Can we make it so that I can toggle a thing in Diplomacy as non-negotiable? That would keep the AI from constantly bugging me about a deal I have zero interest in making?
  3. Need to increase the amount of Pathfinder/Scout costs to build, while also increasing the amount needed for improvement/upgrade. I’d also incorporate the Returning Fog mod – it makes a world of difference in exploration dynamics.
  4. If you invest in a building & then build a Wonder that gives you that building for free, can it give you your money & production back?
  5. Instead of City States asking for a unit of at least #XP (15XP, for example), how about scale the bonus based on the amount of XP given in the unit? For example, if a City State asks for a Spearman, you should logically get less if you give one with 15 XP verses giving a Spearman with 300 XP.
  6. Social Policies need to be greatly expanded, to the point where each one focuses on one specific thing. Trying to force two things into one path is rather annoying. For example, Great People + Great Capital, Great Infrastructure + Great Science, Great War + Great Expansion… all of those “Greats” should be separate, so that each game could be played to focus on the two actual things the player wants/needs in that particular game.
  7. It seems like some wonders should require “cannot be built in capital” otherwise there’s rarely any point to build outside the capital. Alternatively, have every wonder have 2 or 3 requirements that must be met.
  8. EUI – can the Religion Map use the same colors as the founding Civ’s colors – both of them, not just one color?
  9. Via diplomacy, it should be possible to tell another Civ “I welcome your missionaries & prophets,” so that they might prioritize your lands for conversion.
  10. The fact that negative income does nothing but reduce science is kinda ******ed. How about we reduce everything a small amount instead?
  11. The Pantheon “Goddess of Purity” gives a bonus to lakes & rivers. It seems like those should be separated into two different pantheons, because – at least on PerfectWorld mapscripts, those things rarely coincide.
  12. The Civilopedia seriously needs updating. It’s insanely out of date.

Since I can't find anything specific to the 3.10.14 version, I will just add my notes of that version here. I played two Marathon games with that, btw.

Version 3.10.14
  1. It seems like common sense that Markets should reduce unhappiness due to poverty by 1 at the very least. So, if you do that, maybe also increase poverty somehow?
  2. Can we make it so that I can toggle a thing in Diplomacy as non-negotiable? That would keep the AI from constantly bugging me about a deal I have zero interest in making?
  3. Need to increase the amount of Pathfinder/Scout costs to build, while also increasing the amount needed for improvement/upgrade. I’d also incorporate the Returning Fog mod – it makes a world of difference in exploration dynamics.
  4. If you invest in a building & then build a Wonder that gives you that building for free, can it give you your money & production back?
  5. Instead of City States asking for a unit of at least #XP (15XP, for example), how about scale the bonus based on the amount of XP given in the unit? For example, if a City State asks for a Spearman, you should logically get less if you give one with 15 XP verses giving a Spearman with 300 XP.
  6. Social Policies need to be greatly expanded, to the point where each one focuses on one specific thing. Trying to force two things into one path is rather annoying. For example, Great People + Great Capital, Great Infrastructure + Great Science, Great War + Great Expansion… all of those “Greats” should be separate, so that each game could be played to focus on the two actual things the player wants/needs in that particular game.
  7. It seems like some wonders should require “cannot be built in capital” otherwise there’s rarely any point to build outside the capital. Alternatively, have every wonder have 2 or 3 requirements that must be met.
  8. EUI – can the Religion Map use the same colors as the founding Civ’s colors – both of them, not just one color?
  9. Via diplomacy, it should be possible to tell another Civ “I welcome your missionaries & prophets,” so that they might prioritize your lands for conversion.
  10. The fact that negative income does nothing but reduce science is kinda ******ed. How about we reduce everything a small amount instead?
  11. The Pantheon “Goddess of Purity” gives a bonus to lakes & rivers. It seems like those should be separated into two different pantheons, because – at least on PerfectWorld mapscripts, those things rarely coincide.
  12. The Civilopedia seriously needs updating. It’s insanely out of date.
Theres alot here to discuss. But number two would be a huge quality of life upgrade. Especially in later stages where turns are already long enough without the ai constantly asking you for 1 iron.

Point 5 is a big no, last congress there was a proposal made specifically to avoid being able to gold-buy unit and directly send them to CS. You now have to build them to get full XP, then send them.
Mercenary are never asked for CS, and Draft registration comes late enough in the game to not be a real gamechanger (on that aspect).
I am not against having a scaling reward based on XP, but the minimum must be kept.

The minimum XP does make building Chichen Itza annoying. All future quests will require the unit to come from that city.

Top Bottom