(4-03a) Counterproposal: Defensive building tweaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

azum4roll

Lost the game
Counterproposal to:
City siege always seems to take longer and longer as the game goes on, and only becomes faster again when you have highly promoted units and/or air superiority. This is not just from human perspective; AI wars also take forever to progress, and usually only do when the army and economy of one of them fall apart.

What went wrong? It's not about city strength, as post-walls units of the same line deal roughly the same damage against appropriately defended cities, like Tercio vs Castle and Fusilier vs Bastion Fort. The problem lies in the continuous HP boosts given by defensive buildings. See below table:

Spoiler Current :

Building:c5strength: boostHP boost
Walls6125
Castle8150
Bastion Fort10150
Arsenal12175
Military Base14200
Harbor-150
Mine Field10 (note: it's modified twice in the sql with 16 and then 10)300
Strategic Defense System5200

The units between Walls era and Arsenal era are all at most range 2, so the maximum number of units attacking a city per turn stays the same, dealing the same damage. Yet, the HP continues to increase. If you have 5 units attacking the city with 20 damage per hit, it takes 5 turns to take a city with walls, but 10 turns to take one with Bastion Fort and Harbor.

The other problem is with Harbor, which was given HP to patch the gap between Castle and Arsenal when cities were very vulnerable to sea-based attacks from Corvettes and Frigates, the strongest units at the time. But now that Bastion Fort exists (and Ironclad's free city attack bonus is about to be removed), the HP shouldn't be necessary anymore.

The common theme of these problems is that HP is merely functioning as a stall so city siege takes longer and the defender has more time to react. Removing all this should make siege duration fall back to a normal length.

Note: Base city HP formula = 300 + Population * 10

Spoiler What about this? :

Building:c5strength: boostHP boost
Walls6125
Castle8-
Bastion Fort10-
Arsenal12350
Military Base24200
Harbor--
Mine Field--
Strategic Defense System5-

Arsenal is the only other building that receives the HP boost, as the tech tier after that introduces range 3 units and air strikes, which means around doubling the units attacking the city per turn.
Military Base gets the extra :c5strength: boost to cover the ease of killing the garrison with missiles.
Mine Field :c5strength: removal is due to it already having a strong effect AND the generic ship nerf that comes with ENW making naval defense easier than land defense.
SDS :c5strength: boost stays just as flavour.

But wait, wouldn't this make Castle and Bastion Fort both more expensive and weaker than Walls? Well it certainly feels so even though they're actually progressive upgrades. But we can do more with new code!

Spoiler Full proposal :

Building:c5strength: boostHP boostFlat damage reduction
Walls6125-
Castle8-2
Bastion Fort10-2
Arsenal12300-
Military Base24200-
Harbor---
Mine Field---
Strategic Defense System5--

We add flat damage reduction to Castle and Bastion Fort. Each attack against them will do 2 less damage if the city has either building, and 4 less if it has both.
Advantages over adding more CS:
1. City ranged strike doesn't get stronger than it currently is
2. It encourages using specialized city attackers over ranged/skirmisher spamming, as reducing a 37-damage attack to 35 is much less impactful than reducing 8 damage to 6.
Arsenal HP boost is reduced from previous table to compensate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not opposed to the concept, but I do think this is taken too far. Shaving some HP off the castle and maybe bastion, ok I can see that. Dropping 300 HP worth, no that's too much (even with the Damage reduction).

I can get behind shaving some harbor hp and the mine field hp. Removing the military base HP I do not agree with, that is the era where I have range 3 (or 4) artillery pounding away with bombers pounding away and drill 3 tanks pounding away....city's do not have too many hp at this era, they fall just fine to me.

AI (normal difficulty one at least) doesn't get range 4 artillery that often.
Bombers don't start pounding away without getting air superiority (the state, not the tenet) first.
Drill 3 tanks exist, but do they do better than City Assault infantry which already existed in previous eras?

Often times those lategame cities are only easily taken because I'm just so much more technologically advanced, and/or it's after a long grind.

Armies also get larger as you progress through the game so you can muster more hits against a single city in a turn. Your proposed changes will make sieges FASTER as the game progresses. There should be some HP to compensate for the high number of units that get fielded, especially once artillery can hit from 3 tiles away

I'm personally not very happy with the unit spam ; thought I believe it is near impossible to implement, I would really like a corps/army system akin to the one from Civ 6 (apart from cost reduction to those, I find the military from civ6 interesting)

Armies also get larger as you progress through the game so you can muster more hits against a single city in a turn. Your proposed changes will make sieges FASTER as the game progresses. There should be some HP to compensate for the high number of units that get fielded, especially once artillery can hit from 3 tiles away
Do you actually attack a city with more units as time passes? You're still only having 1-3 front line units with 3-5 ranged units shooting from the back.

Arsenal is pre-artillery and should provide all the HP needed to prepare for range 3.

Something I didn't acknowledge is that you CAN attack with more units at Military Base as multiple tanks can effectively attack cities from the same spot, something that mounted melee can't really do persistently especially with damage reduction. I'm putting 200HP back on Military Base.

I sponsor the SQL part, but need someone else to implement the new building flat damage reduction table.

I like the potential to make AI vs AI wars more effective. It is very frustrating to watch them ineffectually bump off each other for 50 turns before white peace-ing out. I've been tweaking my mod stack recently to try to help them as much as possible (I've also started using IGE to give them great road networks when at war if I notice/remember).

Slightly concerned it'll make conquest too easy as a human, but I guess I can always move up to Deity.

I like the potential to make AI vs AI wars more effective. It is very frustrating to watch them ineffectually bump off each other for 50 turns before white peace-ing out. I've been tweaking my mod stack recently to try to help them as much as possible (I've also started using IGE to give them great road networks when at war if I notice/remember).

Slightly concerned it'll make conquest too easy as a human, but I guess I can always move up to Deity.
Are people really still seeing this in the latest versions? Personally conquest AI has never looked better to me, ESPECIALLY at killing CS, they seem a lot better at doing that now then they used to.

Oh my GEEZ! You're SO right. I was in a game where I was taking on Egypt and every city was like a wet napkin, it just falls apart, by firing my destroyers, field guns and even run-and-gun armor units against it. Takes about ~7 turns to take a city with all this firepower.

The capital? Even though their ENTIRE empire is pillaged, I don't make a single dent in it. It doesn't help that Thebes has 2 mountains pressed up against it, and the canal only allows 1 destroyer to fire from it, all my field guns do is healed the next turn, with 1% damage per turn. Insane. And he still fires back and destroys 1 field gun every 2 turns.

You need to get this glitch patched. If someone's entire empire is pillaged, and they're willing to capitulate for 50 turns now, it shouldn't take this long to take their last city.

What glitch? Do you have a savegame?

Since nobody sponsors the DLL part I'll do it.

Proposal sponsored by azum4roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom