• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hokiefan00

Chieftain
Supporter
Current Ancient Ruins Mechanics
Ancient ruins can be picked up by any non-barbarian units (CS unit AI may avoid them but probably can still accidentally stumble into one), or claimed by border growth. Either way, it disappears from the map.

If a player unit/border claims a ruin, some random benefit is given to the player, and the plot is added to the "Archaeological Record" to have a chance to spawn an Antiquity Site later.

List of ruins:
  • Population: +1 :c5citizen: to the nearest city. Cannot be chosen if empire is unhappy or player has no cities.
  • Culture: +15 :c5culture: to empire, scaling with game speed and era, multiplied by (number of policies excluding free ones / 2) (min. 1). Affected by unit type and promotions.
  • Pantheon Faith: gain amount of :c5faith: required for pantheon (50 in standard), scaling with era. Affected by unit type and promotions. Cannot be chosen before turn 20, if player has founded a pantheon, or if any player has founded a religion.
  • Prophet Faith: gain amount of :c5faith: equal to 33% of the next Great Prophet cost, scaling with era. NOT affected by unit type and promotions. Cannot be chosen before turn 20, if player has not founded a pantheon, if player has founded a religion, or if no more religions are available.
  • Gold: +:c5gold: to empire. Amount is 50, 55, 60, ..., 145, with 5% occurrence for each, scaling with game speed and era. Affected by unit type and promotions. Random amount is fixed for the same ruin on the same turn.
  • Map: reveal a random unrevealed city within range 10 (heavier weight for farther away cities), and all tiles within range 4 of it. Can only be chosen if a recon unit claims the ruin. The unit gains 1XP per revealed tile (up to 61XP).
  • Tech: gain a random Ancient Era tech that's not currently being researched but can be researched. Cannot be chosen if there's no tech available to pick from. Random tech is fixed for the same ruin on the same turn, but switching research can affect the result if you really want to abuse it.
  • Upgrade Unit: upgrade the unit claiming the ruin. Cannot be chosen if the unit has already upgraded by a ruin before, cannot be upgraded, or the ruin is not claimed by a unit.
  • Production: +30 :c5production: to the nearest city, scaling with game speed and era. Affected by unit type and promotions. Cannot be chosen if player has no cities.
  • Golden Age: +200 :c5goldenage: to empire, scaling with game speed and era. Affected by unit type and promotions. Cannot be chosen before turn 30, or if player is already in a Golden Age.
  • Tiles: the nearest city gains 4 neutral tiles, as if it naturally grows 4 times. Does not increase next border growth cost. Triggers instant yields from Spain UA, but not from other sources. Cannot be chosen if player has no cities. CAN be chosen if there are no tiles available to grow.
  • Experience: +20XP to the unit claiming the ruin. Does not scale with game speed or era. Affected by unit type and promotions. Cannot be chosen before turn 10, if the unit is a recon unit, the unit cannot gain promotions, or the ruin is not claimed by a unit.
  • Worker: gain a Worker on the ruin tile. Settler difficulty only.
  • Settler: gain a Settler on the ruin tile. Settler difficulty only. Likely the only way Venice gets a Settler.

Proposal 5-13
Author: Hokiefan00
The following is taken from @Hinin Tweaks mod.

Explanation:
The goal of this rebalancing is to remove as much of the power variability of the Ancient Ruins as possible. They are meant to spice up the exploration game and the early game, but currently the power level between the different bonuses is too great. The goal is to make sure that the bonuses are all reasonable enough, so that civs that rely on Ancient Ruins (Shoshones, Mayas in 4UC) aren't left out by all the players who disabled Ancient Ruins because of their problems.

Ruins Bonuses:
  • Experience = 20 (instead of 10)
  • Science = 30 (instead of free Technology)
  • Food = 50 (instead of free Pop)
  • Border Growth points = 100 (instead of free tiles)
  • Failth: ProphetPercent = 20
Removed Bonuses:
  • Unit Upgrade
  • Tile Reveal
  • Golden Age Points
  • Faith Pre-Pantheon

Counterproposal 5-13a

Discussion Thread: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...llow-non-recon-units-picking-up-ruins.684404/

Author: azum4roll

1. Only allow recon units and border growth to pick up ruins. (Sponsor will need to make this a CustomModOption)
  • Remove the Experience ruin (they're already unpickable by recon/city)
  • Remove the Treasure Hunter promotion, as they're already the only units that claim ruins. Now the ruins don't have to be quantifiable.
  • Incentivize exploring with recon units and hunting barbarians with other units. They may still work together to clear a camp and claim a ruin beneath. AI may need to be adjusted to not go for ruins with non-recon units.
  • No need to worry about CS units taking ruins now since they can't have recon units (but CS cities can still claim them)
2. Rebalance some types of ruins:
  • Pantheon Faith: reduce amount of faith to 60% of a pantheon. Now it merely helps you towards founding a pantheon rather than immediately enabling it, if you delay Shrine.
  • Prophet Faith: reduce amount of faith to 25% of the next Great Prophet cost, and stop scaling with era. Religion founding shouldn't be too random.
  • Gold: remove random part, give constant 100 :c5gold: instead, scaling with game speed and era.
  • Map: reduce reveal radius to 3. XP reduced to 37 as a result.
  • Tech: removed. It's too random and too strong.
  • Production: increase to 50 :c5production:, to stay balanced with Gold.
  • Golden Age: removed. It's undesirable to have a Golden Age on turn 30.
    • SPECIAL NOTE: If any of the proposals that affect the cost of the initial Golden Age are passed, the golden age ruin will NOT be removed.
  • Tiles: cannot be chosen if player has a trait that benefits from buying/naturally gaining tiles, or if the nearest city has no tiles available to grow.
  • Science: NEW, +35 :c5science:, scaling with game speed and era. This gives ~60% of an early Ancient Era tech, similar to the Culture ruin which gives 60% of the first policy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't remove reveal, it actually provide a lot of experiences to the scout line (found first, it can grant you up to 2 promotion in one go). Alternatively, the experience bonus could be doubled on the scout line.

I wouldn't remove reveal, it actually provide a lot of experiences to the scout line (found first, it can grant you up to 2 promotion in one go). Alternatively, the experience bonus could be doubled on the scout line.
Tbh, I would remove experience altogether nowadays. It's just too random in its utility.

I don't agree that every bonus needs to be quantifiable. The current ruins are reasonable other than the followings:
1. Free tech, which should be replaced by free science
2. Experience, which sucks, but is a punishment for taking ruins with a non-recon unit. I wonder if it's possible to make it so that only recon units can take ruins (then we can remove this bonus).
3. Border growth, which can be bad for America
4. Gold. There are 3 tiers chosen at random, and the high tier is just too much. Just change it to always give the same tier.

yeah the exp boost is beyond awful to such an extent that I mod modded it for my own games. I made it 40 exp (the best approximation to "always gives 1 level up" that I could think of), and I still don't like getting it.

From an immersion/roleplay or thematic perspective it also does not make sense to me - are ancient warriors and ancient recon units that different where if the warrior comes across ancient ruins they wouldn't notice. maybe later game the sophistication of the scout would increase but early on I just don't see it-
Non-recon units definitely notice the ruins, but don't know what to do with them. They don't know how to read a map, extract technologically advanced items, or persuade tribesmen to settle in your city.
I seem to remember something like this in vanilla or maybe one of the older VOX versions and just did not like it.
Older VP versions had a bonus reward promotion on Pathfinders, which may be what you were referring to. It felt bad to grab ruins with the Warrior, so it was removed. However, the problem still exists to this day with the existence of the XP ruin.

I don't know what to vote for, so my 2 cents- option one- make unit upgrade rare, shrink tile reveal and you would have my vote. Option 2 lose the only recon/boarder growth grab ruins (would this favor the human player?) I like the rebalance changes for both proposals.

only recon/boarder growth grab ruins (would this favor the human player?)
No, because AI knows exactly only recon units can grab ruins, and will prioritize sending one there when they spot one.

Yes, they send the closest free unit to it.

AI may need to be adjusted to not go for ruins with non-recon units.
Non-recon units definitely notice the ruins, but don't know what to do with them. They don't know how to read a map, extract technologically advanced items, or persuade tribesmen to settle in your city.
No, because AI knows exactly only recon units can grab ruins, and will prioritize sending one there when they spot one.
Yes, they send the closest free unit to it.
Now I'm confused. Does AI currently not pick ruins with non-recon units?

Now I'm confused. Does AI currently not pick ruins with non-recon units?
You have quoted one post from a non-developer speculating, and 2 posts from a developer that suggests a specific answer, then a final post with a definitive answer (AI only pick up ruins with Recon units).

Ok, thanks. I don't know why AI is coded like that though. Seems suboptimal.

At least now I understand why I always have a head start in the early game.

Ok, thanks. I don't know why AI is coded like that though. Seems suboptimal.
My complete guess is that it keeps AI war units on killing barbs and defending territory. IE if the AI had its units start wandering from ruins it could create weaknesses a human might exploit.

Scout line will never get the +xp bonus, which is considered the weakest bonus of all. So in a way, yes you get better reward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom