Approval Vote for Proposal #55

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

pineappledan

Deity
Voting Instructions
Players, please cast your votes in the poll above. Vote "Yea" if you'd be okay if this proposal was implemented. Vote "Nay" if you'd be okay if this proposal wasn't implemented.

You can vote for both options, which is equivalent to saying "I'm fine either way", but adds to the required quorum of 25 votes in favor.

All votes are public. If you wish, you can discuss your choice(s) in the thread below. You can change your vote as many times as you want until the poll closes.

VP Congress: Session 5, Proposal 55

Proposal:

Change the Incan Terrace Farm's name to Andén Pata-pata

Rationale:

Terrace farms are found around the world, independently invented in countless cultures, but the Andean civilization developed an exceptionally sophisticated method for constructing and using terrace farms. Incan terrace farms are so distinctive that they have their own word in common English parlance: Andenes, (s. Anden), the Quechua name for them is Pata-pata
It would be cooler if we used a more specific and appropriate name for this improvement.
It's also shorter, and more immediately distinguishable from the regular Farm improvement. It could enhance clarity in-game and make discussions in the community more productive if the two improvements' names were easier to discriminate.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Recursive @Hinin @axatin thoughts on fast tracking this one? Seems a super simple change and generally we have been open to using more historical names for things when it was appropriate. I also do like that it removes the confusion between a T farm and a regular one. This seems a gimme to me.

@Stalker0 I wouldn't want to set a precedent that name changes are always fast-tracked. Otherwise I don't care.

Sounds good. An endonym is preferable in my books. I couldn't find one though, so I suggested Anden. Either one is better than 'Terrace Farm'

edit: updated proposal to the Quechua word

Last edited:
@Stalker0 I wouldn't want to set a precedent that name changes are always fast-tracked. Otherwise I don't care.
To elaborate: A name change isn't necessarily "purely an improvement to the game" which is the standard I set for fast-track approval. The fact that an alternate name has just been proposed and someone else is in favor indicates to me that there is a reasonable objection.

As a result I don't think this should be fast-tracked.

I think it can still be on a case-by-case basis.

In many cases, Firaxis' determination to pick only the most anglicized appellation of a component even struck my anglo-ass as weird and off-putting.
The designers for BNW did an about-face and used a lot more endonyms than the vanilla designer, but we are still left with weird stuff like "Floating Garden" rather than "Chinampa"

Unless we can get a definite source that Pata-pata is the actual endonym, let's stick to Andén.

Google Translate won't give a consistent translation of the word, so I'm kinda doubtful of the correctness. It's also a mountain's name in Peru.

A second source from the internet corroborating the use of pata-pata to mean terraces:

“Pata” in Quechua means a levelled place, usually used as a suffix to denote an area with some sort of boundary or rim. Anything from a town square to stairs to a terrace can be termed a pata. Examples of this usage are seen in several place names around modern Cusco:

So pata-pata directly translated into English means something like “levelled-levelled place”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom