58 gold for open borders

Carazycool

Warlord
I was under the impression that the most the AI would ever give you for open borders is 50 gold, however, in a recent game i asked Gandhi, "what will you give me for open borders?" and he offered 58 gold so i took it. He was "guarded" toward me.

Has this happened to anyone else? why did he offer so much? do civs that are "afraid" of you offer you more money for open borders then friendly civs? could it have been that he was "afraid" of me but pretended that he was "guarded?"

I had a civ pay more than 50 as well IIRC, he was just about to attack me, but I don't remember if he was "guarded" or "hostile".
Was Gandhi just about to attack you?

Open borders is 50g on all speeds - they somehow forgot to make that scale (unlike luxury trades).

AIs will pay more than 50 gold - usually when they will attack you (and paying nothing or 10-20ish gold only for open borders means war likewise with a high probability (especially if you don't have that many units). I've had AIs pay more than 70g (I think 78g) for opening my borders. You can do it, as it will actually help you in case of an attack.

With borders opened the AI will walk up to your city and then declare which will put all his units outside of your border.
If you didn't have the borders opened he'd declare war right when he reaches the border - which could surprise you sometimes.

Speaking of scaling, I think open borders should scale by era, or maybe by city count. Or both. Open borders is worth way more to me (and should be to the AI also) in the industrial era, when fighting an enemy I don't share a common border with. Hopefully this will be changed somehow in G&K.

I've been offered 78 gold to open my borders by neighbors who had denounced me, and both times it was because they wanted to move troops through my territory to go attack another civ. It may have just been coincidence that it happened both times, though.

It was some time ago... a figure who was guarded towards me allowed open borders between us for... it was either 30 or 50 gold... I cannot remember exactly.

Top Bottom