6.3 AI Promotions Bug

Txurce

Deity
Now that I'm paying attention to the flag promotions, I've noticed that the AI civ and CS units have a staggering number of promotions early in the game. Even if every unit came from a city with a barracks and armory, there aren't enough barbs around to explain the rest of them. Is there an explanation for this, or is it a bug?

It's intended to increase the difficulty for human players. What difficulty are you playing on?

It's intended to increase the difficulty for human players. What difficulty are you playing on?

Immortal. My point was that I'd never noticed it before. Are you saying that this is a vanilla or TBC feature? I'm talking about cannons with extra range - that sort of thing.

Thanks a lot for the link. I hadn't realized that the change had been enacted, and when I checked the mods updates link, I looked under Combat, rather than Fewer Poor Policies (!), and found no mention of it.

In my next game I will actually have an idea of what I'm up against (hat's how rarely I war except at the very end). But after a couple of games, it seems a bit OP on Immortal. I still can't get over that three-range cannon!

It feels just about right on immortal to me. They'll definitely have more promotions than the player, but immortal is supposed to be hard isn't it? I'd suggest toning it back down if they ever manage to improve the AI in the core game, but for now the promotions do help make combat interesting.

It feels just about right on immortal to me. They'll definitely have more promotions than the player, but immortal is supposed to be hard isn't it? I'd suggest toning it back down if they ever manage to improve the AI in the core game, but for now the promotions do help make combat interesting.

I think we're on the same page. It caught me off-guard, but now that I'm used to it, it does make the game more fun.

I think we're on the same page. It caught me off-guard, but now that I'm used to it, it does make the game more fun.

...Although there continue to be anomalies like a knight not taking out a Renaissance scout in one turn, and most CS crossbows being virtual chu-ko-nus.

It was in the March 18th update: :)
Update: v5.8
  • A.I. units start with a small amount of experience at higher difficulties, based on difficulty setting and era. This compensates for the fact the A.I. does not manage experienced units well.
I posted some more discussion in the Combat thread.

That's possible.

The reason I used the word "small" is 4 promotions are 100 experience, and I frequently have units at or above that level. On Immortal this change gives about 25% of the xp needed for 4 promos, which seems rather small to me. It's basically enough to give the AI somewhat of a leg up without combat becoming impossible.

That's possible.

The reason I used the word "small" is 4 promotions are 100 experience, and I frequently have units at or above that level. On Immortal this change gives about 25% of the xp needed for 4 promos, which seems rather small to me. It's basically enough to give the AI somewhat of a leg up without combat becoming impossible.

I've already mentioned some anomalies that hamper my immersion, but overall I am enjoying having to use better tactics against more experienced AI units.

Top Bottom