[Vote] (6-48) Make Jungle on Grassland Viable on Other Mapscripts That Use Default Feature Generation

Include in VP?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

N.Core

1st Class of Neoa
Also see:

Current mechanic explanation:
By default (current behavior), a Jungle can be generated on Grassland and Plains. But, there's a section within FeatureGenerator.lua that overrides all Grassland beneath a Jungle to Plains, practically reducing the amount of Grassland on the map since some of them are converted to Plains. It affects most maps that use the default behavior (not overriding the function), but not Communitu_74a which uses its own function.

Spoiler :
1697448448378.png

As @azum4roll said, with the Communitu_74a map, instead of all Grassland beneath the Jungle being converted to Plains, it changed to 1/3 51% of them being converted to Plains. (Update: It's actually 51% of them got converted to Plains.)

Proposal:
Make Jungle on Grassland also appears on other map scripts aside from Communitu_74a by changing it from all of the Grassland beneath the Jungle, to only 1/2 of them being converted to Plains.

Reasoning:
Jungle on Grassland is only Communitu_74a thing, and by default (coded in FeatureGenerator.lua), all Jungle tiles will convert terrain below it to Plains during generation. Only map scripts that override the function (such as Communitu_74a) changed this behavior. This proposal aims to make the feature generation behavior consistent across many map scripts.

There are proposals that are affected by this too (see above). So without this proposal, those other proposals won't apply to maps outside of Communitu_74a.

Sponsor requirement:
This only requires custom modifications to FeatureGenerator.lua file.

Mapscript Changes

Last edited by a moderator:
How about your Tectonics?

Why is it desirable to make three food tiles prevalent in an ecosystem that already has too much food?

How about your Tectonics?
It uses default generation from FeatureGenerator.lua. So yeah unless this got changed, there would be no Jungle on Grassland on any maps that don't override this behavior.

Why is it desirable to make three food tiles prevalent in an ecosystem that already has too much food?
Because Communitu_74a map already did so? It's stupid to make balance changes only available to that map.

Can you elaborate on the rationale? Does it create some kind of imbalance having no jungle on grassland? is it more a thematic thing?

Never have I been playing civ and said to myself "wait a minute! there's no jungle on the grasslands!!!"
There are proposals that balance Ivory placement on the map by allowing them to appear on Jungle on Grassland. But there's no Jungle on Grassland for maps outside of Communitu_74a so that proposal doesn't make sense and needs amendment.

If some of you don't like this proposal, then ask @azum4roll to remove Jungle on Grassland on Communitu_74a. I just want to make this behavior consistent across many map scripts.

okay so consistency is the prime goal then? thats fine, i don't have a problem with it per se... just seeing a lot of proposals that are kind of arbitrary as far as gameplay goes. If you can make a solid case for why the game will play better with this, even if its just slightly better, you can push me off the fence

Some maps having different distributions of terrain/features makes for some nice, if subtle, variety imo. The jungle grasslands are rather minor though so :dunno:

Last edited:
Because Communitu_74a map already did so? It's stupid to make balance changes only available to that map.
I agree. Don't do it.

If some of you don't like this proposal, then ask @azum4roll to remove Jungle on Grassland on Communitu_74a. I just want to make this behavior consistent across many map scripts.
Or, let map scripts do what they want.

It's not the benchmark. Continents is.
Some of these posts say otherwise. People act like the map is the officially supported map, which means it's the benchmark map.

Especially this one, it got voted the most:

Communitu is not the officially sanctioned map script for VP. It is
to make changes to the the base mod so that it is more consistent with a single map script.

Communitu is not the officially sanctioned map script for VP. It is to make changes to the the base mod so that it is more consistent with a single map script.
Even if you said that it cannot hide the fact that it is officially supported since it came with VP and it regularly gets updated. People play with it and make balance changes around it.

I don't care if this proposal won't get implemented since I use my own solution, but there are other people who play with default maps and are unable to get the benefit of some proposed changes.

We should not be making balance proposals that affect a single map script, and we should not be making proposals to force changes to all map scripts just to make a different proposal meaningful.

What is the historic reasoning for grasslands in Communitu jungles? Is it purely aesthetics?

What is the historic reasoning for grasslands in Communitu jungles? Is it purely aesthetics?
Because @azum4roll doesn't like that the default engine directly changes grassland tiles to plains if it has a jungle feature on it. That's it, as far as I can tell.

Because @azum4roll doesn't like that the default engine directly changes grassland tiles to plains if it has a jungle feature on it. That's it, as far as I can tell.
Nah, I didn't change this, just making it stay. Ask the original Communitas creator.

Originally it was worse since there's also code to reduce grassland jungle yields by 1 :c5food:.

Nah, I didn't change this, just making it stay. Ask the original Communitas creator.
But now you're the one in charge of maintaining it. So you're the one who's responsible for the map. The original creators are inactive (or probably no longer in the Civ 5 modding scene) so it's pointless to ask them.

Okay, the proposal updated with the current mechanic explanation, and also the exact number of how many Grasslands beneath the Jungles are converted.
Instead of all Grasslands beneath Jungles being converted to Plains, only 1/3 of them are converted to Plains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom